Truth about sways?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2001, 03:21 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truth about sways?!?!

Is a sway bar really worth it considering this statement:

Type S models provide larger wheels and larger, higher-rated performance tires, as well as a firmer, sport-tuned multi-link suspension with stiffer damping profiles and a larger-diameter rear stabilizer bar.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL, Type-S.
Satin Silver w/ Ebony Leather.
Navigation, factory spoiler, moonroof visor, factory blackwood trim, PIAA wedge-bulbs (ion yellow/#19173), rubber Acura "all-weather" floor mats, 50% tint, & K&N high flow air filter(#33-2178).

***AEM CAI, Comptech exhaust/springs & rims & tires TBA***
Old 04-06-2001, 03:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Can you clarify this question. Are you talking about adding sway bars to the CL-S or the CLP or what?
Old 04-06-2001, 03:25 PM
Instructor

type-s

------------------
Navigation, factory spoiler, moonroof visor, factory blackwood trim, PIAA wedge-bulbs (ion yellow/#19173), rubber Acura "all-weather" floor mats, 50% tint, & K&N high flow air filter(#33-2178).

Old 04-06-2001, 03:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:
Can you clarify this question. Are you talking about adding sway bars to the CL-S or the CLP or what?</font>
i guess you dont understand what they're saying larger diameter rear sway than the cl-P doesnt mean you dont want even larger or for that matter solid on you cl-S

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeS
satin silver metalic
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around

-----------------
'98 ACCORD V-6 sedan
16" coupe wheels
215/55/16 nitto's
20% smoke titanium
black chrome kit
Old 04-06-2001, 03:36 PM
Instructor

is that english type-r?

------------------

Old 04-06-2001, 03:43 PM
Suzuka Master

OK, I don't have the new sways from Comptech yet.

I have the CL-S with the stock sway bars (for now).

I have Toyo T1S tires that stick like glue.
I also have the SSR Competition wheels that are really light (13.8lbs ea vs 25-26lbs).

The ride is great, but there is a little bit or roll and understeer when driving really hard.

The Comptech bars are only a bit stiffer in the front (about 60% more). The rear bar is much stiffer -- 130% more.

I wouldn't mind the rear increase in stiffness in relation to the front. I should get less understeer with a increase in the rear stiffness.

I also will get less roll (but the stock tires do contribute to the roll).

I asked this question about how they would work and feel. I asked Technique, and he has always been accurate. He said ride is very close to stock and the steering feel is much improved.

I will know for myself in the next few days to a couple of weeks. (they are coming)

BTW -- I agonized over this for 2-months.

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 04-06-2001).]
Old 04-06-2001, 06:45 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once you get them you'll wonder how you ever lived without them.

------------------
Black/black CLS
Comptech headers, springs, swaybars
Koni yellows
PIAA 19169 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
35% mirror tint next
Old 04-06-2001, 07:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts
Depends on how you want your car to handle. If you want it to be like a boat, keep it stock.

------------------
Alex
Old 04-07-2001, 12:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MYTYPES:
is that english type-r?

</font>
ah yes its english the only mistake was you...was supposed to be your our rear sway i dont belive is solid meaning its hollow so...do you not want larger sway and for that matter a solid sway??? for better handling yet???

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeS
satin silver metalic
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around

-----------------
'98 ACCORD V-6 sedan
16" coupe wheels
215/55/16 nitto's
20% smoke titanium
black chrome kit
Old 04-07-2001, 12:15 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

[/b][/QUOTE]ah yes its english the only mistake was you...was supposed to be your our rear sway i dont belive is solid meaning its hollow so...do you not want larger sway and for that matter a solid sway??? for better handling yet???

[/B][/QUOTE]

You're not a screen writer for NYPD Blue are you?

------------------
Black/black CLS
Comptech headers, springs, swaybars
Koni yellows
PIAA 19169 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
35% mirror tint next
Old 04-07-2001, 01:08 AM
Racer

for better handling its definitely worth the money.
Old 04-07-2001, 01:34 AM
Instructor

Did you guys pick up both the rear and front swaybars?
Old 04-07-2001, 02:22 AM
Subie Dubie

Sways have been on a week now,don't know why i waited so long.I honestly do not feel any deterioration of ride quality,only a huge difference in grip and an unbelieveable tighter feel in the steering."Rock solid"is the term that best fits.
Go get them!

------------------
San Marino Red
Spoiler
Comptech Headers
Comptech Sways
Old 04-07-2001, 06:19 AM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Red Rider:
Sways have been on a week now,don't know why i waited so long.I honestly do not feel any deterioration of ride quality,only a huge difference in grip and an unbelieveable tighter feel in the steering."Rock solid"is the term that best fits.
Go get them!

</font>
You should have a tighter feeling in the steering but you should actually have LESS grip if anything. Honestly, the sways should not affect grip but they will add to the lateral-g forces acting on your tires so they should cause the tires to lose traction faster. The benefit of sways is that your car keeps it's center of balance about the x-axis closer to zero hence giving you more control over understeer and oversteer in corners. I'd recommend a tire-upgrade to ANYONE wanting sways. I added sways to my car and it definitely lets me push the limits of the car now. I'll post a full review Sunday after my drive with tuleman tomorrow.

------------------
Silver CL-S w/ Navi, Spoiler, Wheel Locks, Trunk Tray, 19169, 9005
Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1-S Proxes on 17X8 SSR Competition Wheels (47.2 lbs lighter than stock wheel+tire setup)
Comptech Sways
G-Tech (Full tank of gas, 60F, VSA off, SS) - 5.94 seconds
V-1 Hardwired
Old 04-07-2001, 09:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Unbelievably better is the handling and cornering with the sways. Flat, flat, flat.
If I had to give up either my springs or my sways, then the springs would go without a doubt. I love the springs but the sways give the car much better balance.

Someone here has stated that the stock sways look like toys compared to the Comptech sways. They were right.

If money is not a problem than getting better sways is a no-brainer.

------------------
"01" CL Type-S
White\Black
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sways
Navigation System
Burlwood Shifter
Guards+Fenderwell Trim
PIAA16969
Smokers Package
My Car

[This message has been edited by Al Uminum (edited 04-07-2001).]
Old 04-07-2001, 04:27 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Al Uminum:
Unbelievably better is the handling and cornering with the sways. Flat, flat, flat.
If I had to give up either my springs or my sways, then the springs would go without a doubt. I love the springs but the sways give the car much better balance.

Someone here has stated that the stock sways look like toys compared to the Comptech sways. They were right.

If money is not a problem than getting better sways is a no-brainer.

</font>
Hey, I looked at my stock sways and they seemed decent. Why do you say they look like toys? Did you try and flex them? Or are you talking about the weight?

I'm also trying to determine what to do with the stock sways. Guess they'll just sit in my closet indefinitely.

------------------
Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1-S Proxes on 17X8 SSR Competition Wheels (47.2 lbs lighter than stock wheel+tire setup)
Comptech Sways
V-1 Hardwired
Old 04-09-2001, 07:32 PM
Suzuka Master

I talked to Comptech USA to check on my Sway order (they are ordered from autocarparts.com, but coming from Comptech).

The sales guy said the front is a 27mm hollow bar and the CL-S has a 27mm solid bar. He said that I might not want to change the front bar.

Here is how sway bars work:

If you stiffen the front (relative to stock) you get more understeer.

If you stiffen the rear (relative to stock) you get more oversteer.

The Comptech bars are rated as:

60% more front than a STOCK CL/TL (NOT CLS)
130% more back than a STOCK CL/TL (AND CLS)

So, the front seems to be less (27mm hollow vs 27mm solid stock) for the CL-S.

The rear is greater for all of the cars by the same amount (22mm solid replaces a 15mm solid).

Does anyone know the torsion/rate in lbs of the CL-S bar in front.

The TL/CL has 275 lb (they didn't specify the moment arm length) vs 462 lb for the Comptech new bar. If you multiply 1.68 times the 275 you get close to 462, but that is for a CL/TL.

What does the CL-S have?????

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-93W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines ordered
  • Comptech headers & sways ordered
  • Silver AEM CAI ready
  • 5 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-09-2001, 08:21 PM
Burning Brakes

The CL-S front is 27.2mm HOLLOW (Tubular). The rear is 19mm solid.

I just had the comptech sways installed this morning. The front, because its the same exterior size, uses the stock bushings, it is a stiffer bar! Note that both the CL and CL-S have the same front tubular sway bar size. So, if comptech is 60% more stiffer than the CL, it is also 60% more stiffer than the CLS. For the rear, the CL is 18mm, the CLS is 19mm, the comptech is even thicker.

For the ride, the feel is unchanged on highway and local bumpy roads. For cornering, all four tires stay firmly planted on the pavement. Before I would feel the one side lift off the road and lose traction, almost like a wheel hop. The comptech sways (with stock springs and tires), grip much much better in turns and the car stays flat instead of floating to one side. Definitly worth it, I wonder why I waited until 7500 miles to have it done? Steering is also much more responsive and more accurate a feel.

I am glad I didn't switch the stock tires yet. With the sways, they grip much better and I can push the car quite a bit more and they still grip firmly. I think its because all four of them are now forced on the ground, instead of before the car would sway quite a bit and lose weight on the one side.

[This message has been edited by fast_daddy_car (edited 04-09-2001).]
Old 04-09-2001, 08:26 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fast_daddy_car:
The CL-S front is 27.2mm HOLLOW (Tubular). The rear is 19mm solid.

I just had the comptech sways installed this morning. The front, because its the same exterior size, uses the stock bushings, it is a stiffer bar! Note that both the CL and CL-S have the same front tubular sway bar size. So, if comptech is 60% more stiffer than the CL, it is also 60% more stiffer than the CLS. For the rear, the CL is 18mm, the CLS is 19mm, the comptech is even thicker.

For the ride, the feel is unchanged on highway and local bumpy roads. For cornering, all four tires stay firmly planted on the pavement. Before I would feel the one side lift off the road and lose traction, almost like a wheel hop. The comptech sways (with stock springs and tires), grip much much better in turns and the car stays flat instead of floating to one side. Definitly worth it, I wonder why I waited until 7500 miles to have it done?
</font>

Did you ever notice the before and after "steady state" performance?

Did you have stock tires or mod?

I feel better about the info, you are giving me, since the Comptech people said that the front was upgraded in the CL-S and the guy said I might not want to change the front.

So, if you are not in "twisties", do you notice the car balance the same, more understeer, or more oversteer?

(I get that there will be less sway)

Also, the stiffer rear would unload the front and make the steering lighter.

--thanks--

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-93W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Silver AEM CAI ready
  • 5 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-10-2001, 12:09 AM
Burning Brakes

I had an hour drive to the dealer, and an hour drive back after installation. Road was 40% smooth highway, 30% rough highway, and 30% local bumpy and twisty roads.

Stock Tires with 7000 miles on them
Stock Springs
Just comptech sway bars

No noticable ride difference on either type of highway. On bumpy local roads I had to concentrate and remember what the original feel was, now its perhaps a bit stiffer or rather more responsive, feels like you have more control over the car in hard bumpy construction areas as the car now does not float as much. I feel better now making emergency turns in rough roads.

For steering, much more control over the car.
On highway changing lanes, stock has a bit of float in the suspension before the car actually starts moving over. Now the car just moves right over. On lane change recovery, car settles into new lane quickly instead of floating and resting with stock. Ride quality is the same, still luxury based.
Local roads going around a corner at a traffic light, car is easier to navigate the turn as it is more predictable. Moving through a turn under acceleration is more confident, all four tires stay firmly planted. With stock the car would want to roll-out into the other lane, almost a flipping/hopping effect.

I would change the front bars as well, the pair are well balanced together.
The tube is the same size but thicker interior. Also seems the type-s stock tube is a bit thicker than the non-s tube.

For rear bar size, I got out the calipers. comptech rear is 22.2mm, vs stock at 19mm.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-10-2001, 01:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Thanks!

I would love to have a steady state performance test. But I'll have to start or beg for a magazine with a "Project: Acura CL-S" section.

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Silver AEM CAI ready
  • 6 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-10-2001, 06:00 AM
Moderator Alumnus

awesome... you've all just convinced me to go online and order my sways...

that is of course when my checking account gets back to normal!

------------------
YuppieCL
'90 Accord LX
'01 3.2CL Type S
#6487, Satin Silver, Navi, Spoiler, Comptech springs, Xephyr CAI, 35% Llumar window tint
PhotoPoint Pics!
AIM: Yuppie99
Old 04-10-2001, 07:44 AM
Suzuka Master

I know someone is going to give some flak over this but...

I took the figures I got from Comptech for the CL: 130% increase rear and 68% increase front.

I think I figured out why every body says they like the settings so much.

I took the "raw" data from Comptech and computed the revised rate increase in the front and rear based on the following:

CL to CL-S inner wall thickness of 27.2 mm OEM bar is increased from 0.107" wall thickness (CL) to 0.177 wall thickness on CL-S. (Data courtesy of Comptech tech support.)

CL to Comptech back sway bar calc of 130% increase only works out correctly by calculating with solid bar using the CL (18mm) vs Comptech's (22mm replacement bar). The CL-S, according to the previous posts is 19mm.

Here is the updated data:

CL-S (OEM) to Comptech front increase is 13%. I calced this value by using the 0.177 mm thickness of the CL-S tubing vs the CL's 0.107 thickness (value provided by Comptech tech support). I used a tool available from ZDNet to calculate hollow torsion bars torsion values in lb-inches.

So, on the CLS, the front is 13% stiffer (if everyone is correct about the data). 27.2 mm bar with 0.177 wall thickness in front).

The rear increase specified by Comptech is based on the replacement of the CL's 18mm bar (not the CL-S 19mm bar):

(22^4)/(18^4) = 2.23 -> 123% increase in rear rate; Close enough to their claimed increase of 130% in the rear.)

If I adjust for the CLS rear 19mm solid bar, then I get the following calc:
(22^4)/(19^4) = 1.80 -> 80% increase over stock 19mm bar.

So, the claimed increase for a CL is:
front = 68% more and rear 130% more.

The CL-S calc'd increase for a CL-S is:
front = 13% more and rear 80% more.

So, in the case of the CL-S, the front gets a little increase over stock, and the back gets close to double.

Conclusion:

Replace both bars with Comptech's. The Comptech is a bit stiffer in the front, so these figures look pretty good...

(Just my opinion...)

I had to use certain assumptions about the material used in the composition of the bar materials. However, the software I downloaded seemed to compute numbers that matched Comptech's numbers within 10-20%.

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Silver AEM CAI ready
  • 6 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-10-2001, 09:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'll take ya word for it...

I'm psyched, two days until my headers and sways are installed!!!

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
-Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Prolarg M-6 lamps
Planning: Comptech Headers, Sways, CAI
Old 04-10-2001, 11:33 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

All this talk about the sways and how wonderfully they fix the problem of the awfull body roll?

Now, the question:

Why ACURA Engineers did not consider those Comptech Setup? Ride quality, people have the option to buy the CL-P, right?

I guess it more than that, I think it's all about safety and stabilty of the CLS.

ACURA Engineers thought by having this body roll they will discourage CLS drivers from driving their cars aggressively exeedcing the cabability of the stock tires on the curves.

I like the idea of sways to correct the tendency of the CLS forcing changing lanes on hard curves!!!

------------------
Black, Ebony, 3.2 CL Type-S, NAV.
- 3M clear bra, by Stonguard (full front bumper, and side mirrors, and partial hood)
- Acura Spoiler, Moonroof visor
- Splash guards, Winter mats, Trunk liner
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- 03/19/01: Injen Polished CAI
- 04/10/01: 235/40/18 NITTO 555 on 18x7.5 Koing Imagine in Silver with wheels locks
Old 04-10-2001, 02:08 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk:
All this talk about the sways and how wonderfully they fix the problem of the awfull body roll?

Now, the question:

Why ACURA Engineers did not consider those Comptech Setup? Ride quality, people have the option to buy the CL-P, right?

I guess it more than that, I think it's all about safety and stabilty of the CLS.

ACURA Engineers thought by having this body roll they will discourage CLS drivers from driving their cars aggressively exeedcing the cabability of the stock tires on the curves.

I like the idea of sways to correct the tendency of the CLS forcing changing lanes on hard curves!!!

</font>
Also cost man, the comptech sways are not doubt more expensive to manufacture.

------------------
Comptech Sways
V-1 Hardwired
Old 04-10-2001, 05:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Then you have the issue of Acura/Honda not wanting people to lose the rear end.

Some of the really bad POS American rental/beater cars I have gotten plowed so bad, that I could turn the front all day long and never bust the back loose.

I would have needed some ramps for the back wheels to get them loose.

The look at the new BMW and Porsche. The new M3 (according to Tom2 and testers has more understeer) and the old Porsche Turbos that required a trip to the track to keep Beverly Hills house Fraus from sliding to trees on power boost, now have slight push.

Balance in steady state is best... (I like about 5% understeer, then use power off, etc to bring back out.) I just don't want a tail wagger that I'm having to catch. I've done it, it is very fast and loose, but not very safe when a duffus ends up in front of you on the freeway at 80mph with .1 seconds to react.

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Silver AEM CAI ready
  • 6 coats of Zaino magic

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 04-10-2001).]