Transmission rebuild with external transmission cooler

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 02:55 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission rebuild with external transmission cooler

My car has 150,000 miles on it. Obviously, it has too much mileage for a "goodwill" transmission service from the dealership.

I did a good bit of looking around and after talking to a few mechanics I found one that claims that the cooling system is the problem with the transmissions and that he can do a full rebuild, replace my front motor mount, and install an external transmission cooler. All of this for under $2000 and it includes a 36,000 mile warranty.

Has anyone heard of using an external transmission cooler to fix the CL's transmission problem? Is this guy full of crap?

The car is an 01 CL type-s.

I am seeing that people here are going through multiple transmissions. Am I just wasting my time?
Old 12-05-2009, 03:07 PM
9th Gear

I posted this before I did enough searching. This car is crap. I am now in the hole with this car and am about to take a few thousand dollar hit to sell it as fast as possible as soon as it gets back from the mechanic.
I really should have done my research before buying this.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:50 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
^^^^ i didn't do my hmw and my cars tranny went in the first 25000kms of owning it.

got her rebuild for 1980 (new gears and tranny mount also)

and now the car is mint...

I would never think of selling this puppy. and plus now i know my tranny will last since i am changing the oil every 30K no matter what.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:56 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by CL-S progression 01
^^^^ i didn't do my hmw and my cars tranny went in the first 25000kms of owning it.

got her rebuild for 1980 (new gears and tranny mount also)

and now the car is mint...

I would never think of selling this puppy. and plus now i know my tranny will last since i am changing the oil every 30K no matter what.
Changing it every 30k miles makes a big difference? I have read about people changing it every other oil change....

Do you think the car would be reliable if I changed it every 30k miles with the new rebuild and external cooler?

I do like the car and it is in great shape, overall. I definitely baby it. I am just seriously concerned about the transmission. I don't want to be one of the guys who have went through multiple transmissions.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 12-05-2009, 04:20 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

YES definitely 100%

the ONLY reason out cars trannys "suck"

is cause acura reccomends 96000kms (i think) for each tranny change, they only did this to keep up with GM and FORD or else they look like they are HIGH MAINTENANCE..

but really it should be every 30000kms for us. (annually for me)

cause there is a filter INSIDE the tranny and once that is clogged u have NO FLOW of oil to ur clutch packs and then u MELT GEARS...

like i did on mine.

my builder said he's done countless of my trannys without a single return cause he tellls them SPECIFICALLY...

CHANGE tranny fluid ever 30000kms and change out the ATF filter and u'll be fine, no worries he said.

he's got one guy in particular with 300000kms on the rebuild... so that's proof enough he knows wtf he's doing and talking about.

IF u can find a GOOD builder then u'll be fine, but THAT should be your ONLY CONCERN

and use a transtar tq converter... costs 150 or 250 more than the reg tq converters cause it is the TOP of the line. I got that in my car :-)

just hunt for that build bro and u'll be back to LOVING ur CL.... as we ALL DO
Old 12-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
Erm... how would I know when the last owner changed the fluid? Or should I just change it maybe at my next motor oil change? Since he most likely got his servicing done at the dealer, I'm sure they also followed what the manual says.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
hate to disappoint you but transmission cooler does not solve the problem. The problem is the design of 3rd gear clutch pack and the lubrication around it. There are no real solutions, just improvements to the materials used. 30K miles or 3 years is a good idea to change transmission fluid.
BTW, when filter gets clogged it usually means your gears are starting to come apart. Even if you change filter, it will die shortly.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Safety Car

Wait, 30k miles or 30k kilometers?
Old 12-05-2009, 04:42 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by russianDude
hate to disappoint you but transmission cooler does not solve the problem. The problem is the design of 3rd gear clutch pack and the lubrication around it. There are no real solutions, just improvements to the materials used. 30K miles or 3 years is a good idea to change transmission fluid.
BTW, when filter gets clogged it usually means your gears are starting to come apart. Even if you change filter, it will die shortly.
Nice. Thanks for telling me that.

So, that is the extent of the preventative maintenance for the transmission? Just change the transmission fluid at 30k? Just from your experience, does changing the fluid at those intervals give me a somewhat decent guarantee that the transmission will hold up? Is it out of the ordinary for these transmissions to fail even if you change the fluid at 30k?
Old 12-05-2009, 04:45 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts
just do a 6speed swap, no more tranny problems
Old 12-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Nersh7
just do a 6speed swap, no more tranny problems

If I could find a 6-speed CL, I would have bought that instead of a 5AT...
Old 12-05-2009, 04:51 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

fair enough
Old 12-05-2009, 04:52 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

i got auto cause this car isn't a race car... lol

and all the rubber i'd be laying down would be $$$$ and i cannot afford to get caught speed which I would do ALLLL the time with a CLS6

this car is a cruiser in my mind, the perfect road trip car
Old 12-05-2009, 05:00 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Originally Posted by CL-S progression 01
i got auto cause this car isn't a race car... lol

and all the rubber i'd be laying down would be $$$$ and i cannot afford to get caught speed which I would do ALLLL the time with a CLS6

this car is a cruiser in my mind, the perfect road trip car
tell that to thinjim and his RWD CL
Old 12-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by tommyt1777
Nice. Thanks for telling me that.

So, that is the extent of the preventative maintenance for the transmission? Just change the transmission fluid at 30k? Just from your experience, does changing the fluid at those intervals give me a somewhat decent guarantee that the transmission will hold up? Is it out of the ordinary for these transmissions to fail even if you change the fluid at 30k?
Well, my transmission failed at 70K, and I changed fluid at 15K, 45K, 65K. Read last few pages of transmission failure thread. Transmissions for Acura Cl/TL 2000-2003 all have a very good chance of failing at around 70-80K miles (seems to be an average), some people are more lucky than others and get to 150K miles, others get 20K miles, but the longer you drive the more chance it will fail. Changing fluid every 30K miles does not guarantee anything, but this is the best you can do for your transmission. I was also gonna say "dont use 3rd gear", but you might as well not drive at all

The good news that if your transmission was replaced after 2005 Feb, then it should be improved unit that is less likely to fail (Acura made some revisions to internal parts, but nothing major), but they still fail, just less likely. On the other hand, rebuilds have problems of their own (human factor and etc).
Old 12-05-2009, 05:18 PM
9th Gear

Well, my transmission failed at 70K, and I changed fluid at 15K, 45K, 65K. Read last few pages of transmission failure thread. Transmissions for Acura Cl/TL 2000-2003 all have a very good chance of failing at around 70-80K miles (seems to be an average), some people are more lucky than others and get to 150K miles, others get 20K miles, but the longer you drive the more chance it will fail. Changing fluid every 30K miles does not guarantee anything, but this is the best you can do for your transmission. I was also gonna say "dont use 3rd gear", but you might as well not drive at all

The good news that if your transmission was replaced after 2005 Feb, then it should be improved unit that is less likely to fail (Acura made some revisions to internal parts, but nothing major), but they still fail, just less likely. On the other hand, rebuilds have problems of their own (human factor and etc).
That is depressing. I don't believe it was ever changed. It looks like I am selling it afterall. This sucks. I should have just let the thing get repossessed instead of fixing it. Dammit.

Thanks a bunch for all of your help.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:52 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

they were still built by human when they were new
Old 12-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by friesm2000
they were still built by human when they were new
the originals were mostly made by robots on assembly line. The re-manufactured Acura installs are mostly done by human. They take broken transmissions, remove all parts, throw away all "soft" parts, inspect all hard parts to make sure they match the specifications, install all updates required by Honda. Car companies usually outsource this job to a different company. So even if they are installing some upgraded/improved parts, there is always a chance someone might do something wrong. Rebuilds are known to have more defects, this is just the nature of rebuilds/remans. items.

Last edited by russianDude; 12-05-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Putting defects aside, the fundamental design problem is still there, just few patches and band aids here and there to make it last longer.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:05 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
the originals were mostly made by robots on assembly line. The re-manufactured Acura installs are mostly done by human. They take broken transmissions, remove all parts, throw away all "soft" parts, inspect all hard parts to make sure they match the specifications, install all updates required by Honda. Car companies usually outsource this job to a different company. So even if they are installing some upgraded/improved parts, there is always a chance someone might do something wrong. Rebuilds are known to have more defects, this is just the nature of rebuilds/remans. items.
yes it is an outside source, and i think the company is actually in california
there was still quite a bit of human building of it when it was new, but not nearly as much as the actually rebuilding of one,
for defects some also has to do with the fact that they have to inspect all the parts for damage and such vs just putting in all new parts

Putting defects aside, the fundamental design problem is still there, just few patches and band aids here and there to make it last longer.
it's better but correct in that they are still band-aided
Old 12-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
my 2008 trans is on the way out......with 18K miles on it.....
Old 12-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
no, the case was redesigned with larger oiling passages to alleviate the clutch packs and 2nd gear getting toasted issues......
Old 12-06-2009, 07:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
no, the case was redesigned with larger oiling passages to alleviate the clutch packs and 2nd gear getting toasted issues......
yes, but we don't know if they reuse the same case. They could take old case and machine oil passages in it. They definitely reuse something from the old case.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
my 2008 trans is on the way out......with 18K miles on it.....
you know it yourself that design still sucks, and on top of that it could be a simple defect during the rebuild process.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:02 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,968 Likes on 1,349 Posts
Yes the transmission was poorly designed, no a cooler is not a fix. That said reducing the temperature on anything that generates heat doing it's job is a good thing.

My 12/05 transmission currently has 116,xxx I put a cooler in about 10k ago after replacing the external filter.

The car runs great, is fun to drive, is comfortable and I enjoy the hell out of it.

I bought it as a daily to save gas money over my 13mpg on the freeway if i was lucky Landcruiser and it has given me 18 months of 23mpg driving enjoyment.

Sorry your transmission is going op, it sucks.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Yes, the trannies are faulty, no doubt about it.

Only suggestion I have, is to ask.. Have you even tried to call Acura even though your 41k miles outside the warraty?

It really doesn't hurt to try, you may be surprised.