transmission dead or no?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Acura's All Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission dead or no?

Ok so I take my car to go vacuum it out this morning and cutt it off just long enough to vacuum it. And as im pulling out of the car wash I notice the car is idled really high and suddenly lunges into second gear at around 5 thousand rpms. Shocked and scared I stop and go to see if it will do it again and it does. So once again I stop and switch it into shift mode and it shifted at normal rpm s however still roughly and abruptly. I immediately pull it over and have it towed however will have no results til tomorrow. Any ideas, it just doesn't add up for me.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like your tranny is done. It maybe sounds like it could be the torque converter, but most likely it's the tranny
Old 01-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Acura's All Day

I was thinking maybe like a shift silenoid or something because I didn't think a tranmy would go without warning all I did was curt it off and curt it back on. If so however im selling it I can't afford carpayment plus tranny. No way no how. And when I did stop it goes through all gears just roughly idk I pray that when I get that call in the am it isn't. But wanted to be on safe side and make this post to see if anyone had a similar issues.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
bummer... its happens just that fast... no warning... Im on my 3rd tranny in my 01 CLS... God bless ya man... hope we are all wrong!
Old 01-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Acura's All Day

Well if that's the case I hope the guy I purchased it from is as honest as he claimed to be and buys it back or repairs it. Haha im living in a fantasy world huh? Im fd if that's the case. Only time will tell thanks guys. It will be for sale if so and Acura will loose my future business there's no reason someone should replace a recalled tranny more than once it Acuras problem not ours.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
Its been a known problem. You've been a member for over 3 years, you should have known about the risk of tranny failures in the auto CL before you bought it.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Instructor

It might be your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)... been there
Old 01-14-2011, 11:11 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
one problem with our cars because the trans goes so frequently. I think many on this site are too quick to point their finger at the transmission and overlook many of the sensors that work in conjunction with the ecu which would give the tranny rough shifts regardless.

shifting rough is usually a sensor issue.

BOTH times my tranny went it was peaceful. In the sense that the trans just didn't shift into the next gear without letting off the gas. THAT is what happens when the tranny fails normally due to clutch failure (which is the main reason the transmissions fail in the first place).

so if ur car all of a sudden is idling high, then that isn't the transmission's fault. that are plenty of sensors that could be sending the wrong signal to the ecu and that will make the car shift all sorts of ways.

check all sensors before you dive into a new transmission.. i know i would if that happened. I'd be pointing my finger at TPS or something. and always always do an ecu reset. pull the 7.5 amp fuse by the passenger firewall, disconnect battery also.. and wait 15 mins or so.. and that may fix the problem on its own..

I've done that in 2 different scenarios and it's fixed the car completely.. weird but effective.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:34 AM
Instructor

excellent point Mr. Progression
Old 01-31-2011, 10:07 PM
Acura's All Day

Ok guys, lol. Thanks for all the suggestions and info, as this car is new for me. And my apologies for such a late reply. Ive been extremely busy, however as for the car... I picked it up 4 days later from a local respected shop, and they drove it about 150.00 miles and inspected the transmission to the best of their abilities and said there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, the only thing it did funky was shutter from 1st to 2nd, in which he recommended a transmission flush for 250.00 dollars. However since having the car back in my possesion it has done the same thing once again, and I pulled over cutt her off then back on and she was fine. My stepdad thinks "shift selenoid". However thats the least of my worries now as it needs ball joints and 3 motor mounts! Could ball joints cause "bumbling" as you drive? Because my mechanic told me thats the only things wrong with it, and as I am driving down my driveway or hit any bump on the road theres a very loud and annoying bumbling/knocking noise that come from all four corners of the vehicle. Im thinking shots and struts. But he defenitely said the ball joints need replacing.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:11 PM
Acura's All Day

Originally Posted by aznboi2424
Its been a known problem. You've been a member for over 3 years, you should have known about the risk of tranny failures in the auto CL before you bought it.
I was well awhere of it, however I didnt know that Acura only replaces it once, and I didnt know that it will continue to fail even after they replace it. I love both my Acuras but I expect a High End Motor Company like Acura to stand behind their product.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Instructor

pretty sure that your problem is a faullty TPS, read Mr. Progression post