Transmission being replaced, should I pay my car note for this month ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2001 | 11:01 AM
5th Gear

Transmission being replaced, should I pay my car note for this month ? ?

I am currently having my Tranny replaced ? Should I have to pay my car note since it's a lease and I'm not actually driving it. I spoke to my mechanic at Acura and he told me of a woman who had Acura pay a months' payment for her while it was being repaired. Is this possible ?
Old 11-28-2001 | 12:13 PM
Instructor

hmmm...

you've signed a contract...your obligated to pay (even tho the car is at the dealership)

I suggest you call honda finance (or whoever did you lease) and ask them tho. You may be able to bitch to them and they'll give you a month free.

Remember...they are paying for your rental car for the month which i'm sure cost a lot more than your lease payment.

sanjay
Old 11-28-2001 | 01:53 PM
hater

Call 1.800.4 A ACURA NOW!

I lease and was out of the car for 27 days. I told them that I had entered into a contract to rent a 2001 CL-S, NOT a 2001 Galant 4-banger. Two days later I was in a 2002 Cadillac Deville for the remainder of my time without the car.

They should have just waived the payment as that would have been cheaper than the rental bill.
Old 11-28-2001 | 03:16 PM
Drifting

I will let you know on friday. I am supposed to go and meet with the reginal service rep...I am guessing its about my car note. My car was in the shop for 30 days and I asked if I had to pay. They told me the rep wants to meet with me to discus my options...whatever that is (makes me a little scared not knowing). They rented a dodge intrepid for me and the bill was $930. I did not have to pay for that and they told me that when something like this happens (when something is on backorder) the bill goes to the company that is having the backorder. So I am guessing that acura is not paying these bills eather. If they dont want to have to foot such a large rental bill they can put you in a loaner that they are not paying for. I even asked them to do that and the rep said not to do that cuz they dont foot the rental bill. I am leasing my car as well so I will let yall know what happens on friday.
Old 11-28-2001 | 07:46 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by droideka
Call 1.800.4 A ACURA NOW!

I lease and was out of the car for 27 days. I told them that I had entered into a contract to rent a 2001 CL-S, NOT a 2001 Galant 4-banger. Two days later I was in a 2002 Cadillac Deville for the remainder of my time without the car.

They should have just waived the payment as that would have been cheaper than the rental bill.
if you did not have a loaner they should knock off a months payment, but you had alternate transportation, its not in writing you get the same vehicle as a loaner
Old 11-28-2001 | 08:11 PM
Race Director

This is the problem with side agreements outside the terms and conditions of the contract.

Dealerships fear that they might to do the same from one and they do for another.

So my car is in the shop and I get a loaner car. It costs $1000 and the bill is taken care of (not paid for by me).

My friend's shop goes to the car the next day and he declines the loaner car (because he has a second car). Is he entitled to $1000.

I have a car note for $200. Not a problem, I'll pay the note because I promised my bank I would pay them according to the terms and I don't plan to make my own exceptions.

My first friend has a $900 car note because he is over extended and made a foolish deal and now he is without his car. So he wants someone to fulfill his obligation to the bank even though he didn't ask for such an outrageous claim when he was begging for the loan. Sound he get $900?

My second friend made a great deal and his car note is $2. Since the dealership has been paying customer's note for one month, they give him $2 and send him on his way. Is this fair?

Same goes for leases. Can you see why it is difficult (and sometime inequitable) to operate outside the terms and conditions of the lease/sale/contract? I know the world revolves around deals, and I would love to try to cut a favorable deal myself. I believe in fairness, too. But I certainly don't think I am entitled to it.

I'm sorry your post subject indicates that you might feel like you might now owe a payment but I think you meant perhaps you are ready to try to cut a deal. Go for it.
Old 11-28-2001 | 10:02 PM
hater

Originally posted by kensteele
This is the problem with side agreements outside the terms and conditions of the contract.

Dealerships fear that they might to do the same from one and they do for another.

So my car is in the shop and I get a loaner car. It costs $1000 and the bill is taken care of (not paid for by me).

My friend's shop goes to the car the next day and he declines the loaner car (because he has a second car). Is he entitled to $1000.

I have a car note for $200. Not a problem, I'll pay the note because I promised my bank I would pay them according to the terms and I don't plan to make my own exceptions.

My first friend has a $900 car note because he is over extended and made a foolish deal and now he is without his car. So he wants someone to fulfill his obligation to the bank even though he didn't ask for such an outrageous claim when he was begging for the loan. Sound he get $900?

My second friend made a great deal and his car note is $2. Since the dealership has been paying customer's note for one month, they give him $2 and send him on his way. Is this fair?

Same goes for leases. Can you see why it is difficult (and sometime inequitable) to operate outside the terms and conditions of the lease/sale/contract? I know the world revolves around deals, and I would love to try to cut a favorable deal myself. I believe in fairness, too. But I certainly don't think I am entitled to it.

I'm sorry your post subject indicates that you might feel like you might now owe a payment but I think you meant perhaps you are ready to try to cut a deal. Go for it.
You know, Ken, that's all fine and dandy, but with regards to this transmission issue, it's a completely different animal.

If I had wrecked my car, I would not expect a loaner. If I had blown my engine due to my own stupidity, I would not expect a loaner. If I had mods and somehow fucked up my car, I would not expect a loaner.

But this transmission fiasco, this Acura Cluster Fuck of the highest order, this inability to get my car back to me in days instead of a month, the countless times I took my car in to have problem after problem dealt with, THAT is what put me into that Caddy.

The dealer didn't do this for me, nor were they obligated. Acura Client Relations did. The day my car went into the shop and I called and started my case file I immediately suggested that I WOULD NOT be happy making a lease payment on a $15K rental that I was expected to drive for a minimum of four weeks. My rep didn't even flinch. In fact, he completely agreed with me and within one hour I was receiving a call from the Enterprise guy asking what I'd like to drive. Seeing as how the unfortunate few of us who have lost a tranny were given a DEFECTIVE product, I don't see why Acura shouldn't foot the bill.

I didn't sign up for this bullshit. I gave up on getting an S4 two years ago because I was afraid of a few turbo issues. I certainly didn't think that my new Acura would be more trouble than all of my prior domestics combined.
Old 11-28-2001 | 10:10 PM
hater

Originally posted by acura_service

if you did not have a loaner they should knock off a months payment, but you had alternate transportation, its not in writing you get the same vehicle as a loaner
I don't give a shit what's in writing. I received a DEFECTIVE product and expected to be compensated in one fashion or another. I NEVER asked Acura to waive my payement, only that I would not drive that fucking Galant piece of shit for four weeks.

I'm the worst kind of customer, the kind that doesn't take any shit. I didn't get the Acura because I thought it was 'pimp' or could be modded to high hell, I got it because it was to be my third Honda product, a brand that has served me well in the past.
Old 11-28-2001 | 10:19 PM
Race Director

You know, Ken, that's all fine and dandy, but with regards to this transmission issue, it's a completely different animal.

If I had wrecked my car, I would not expect a loaner. If I had blown my engine due to my own stupidity, I would not expect a loaner. If I had mods and somehow fucked up my car, I would not expect a loaner.

But this transmission fiasco, this Acura Cluster Fuck of the highest order, this inability to get my car back to me in days instead of a month, the countless times I took my car in to have problem after problem dealt with, THAT is what put me into that Caddy.

The dealer didn't do this for me, nor were they obligated. Acura Client Relations did. The day my car went into the shop and I called and started my case file I immediately suggested that I WOULD NOT be happy making a lease payment on a $15K rental that I was expected to drive for a minimum of four weeks. My rep didn't even flinch. In fact, he completely agreed with me and within one hour I was receiving a call from the Enterprise guy asking what I'd like to drive. Seeing as how the unfortunate few of us who have lost a tranny were given a DEFECTIVE product, I don't see why Acura shouldn't foot the bill.

I didn't sign up for this bullshit. I gave up on getting an S4 two years ago because I was afraid of a few turbo issues. I certainly didn't think that my new Acura would be more trouble than all of my prior domestics combined.
Hey, I don't disagree with you. If you feel you need a better rental, that's good. I would do the same. I don't think there's anything in a contract that would specify the type of loaner but I do think there's provision for getting a loaner. I wouldn't want to be stuck with a Galant either, a Caddy, I guess that would be ok. I'm not knocking you. Keep in mind though, there are some who are even more aggressive than you, they'll demand the Acura courtesy come and pick them up, thank them to work and back home everyday until. Where do you draw the line?
Old 11-28-2001 | 10:31 PM
Race Director

I don't give a shit what's in writing. I received a DEFECTIVE product and expected to be compensated in one fashion or another. I NEVER asked Acura to waive my payement, only that I would not drive that fucking Galant piece of shit for four weeks.

I'm the worst kind of customer, the kind that doesn't take any shit. I didn't get the Acura because I thought it was 'pimp' or could be modded to high hell, I got it because it was to be my third Honda product, a brand that has served me well in the past.
This part I am going to have to disagree with you on. Especially this statement: "I received a DEFECTIVE product..." Did you really? Or did you get a good product that turned out to be defective and the manufacturer invoked the warranty to properly handle their error? There are specific rules and regulations in place with regard to manufacturer's defects and there are specific provisions with regard to compensation.

If you paid $30k and you got a defective product, I would think that was unfair and you would be entitled to a full refund. Don't you think?

I read your statement and I agree with the rest. But some people might feel otherwise. They might feel that fair compensation would be to forgo a car payment or two which is not part of the original agreement. I know that is not what you are asking but you would be surprise what punitive damages or consequential damages people will try to assign to a manufacturer's defect. Believe me, they are real. But they only come as a result of litigation.

That's my beef with this whole deal. The only way to be fair because so many people feel so differently about things is to go by the rules and then deal on a case by case basic after that.
Old 11-29-2001 | 12:14 AM
hater

Originally posted by kensteele

This part I am going to have to disagree with you on. Especially this statement: "I received a DEFECTIVE product..." Did you really? Or did you get a good product that turned out to be defective and the manufacturer invoked the warranty to properly handle their error? There are specific rules and regulations in place with regard to manufacturer's defects and there are specific provisions with regard to compensation.
:o

Shit, I did it to you again, Ken. I don't mean the car in whole, just the transmission. My transmission, or some component of the drivetrain was defective. It was just a matter of time before it went.

The car in general is not a piece of shit, just certain components. Hell, I can't fathom all this talk of blistering paint. Mine's fantastic. Thin, but fantastic.
Old 11-29-2001 | 05:33 AM
www.drippinwet.com

1) the car has a warranty not a guarantee
2) i believe it
Old 11-29-2001 | 09:30 AM
Racer

my 2 cents

I have been around the block enough to learn that even though you're bing screwed or inconvenienced, you have to pay your bills. My advice is keep paying on the car and seek reimburesement. Not paying and then trying to get Acura to fix it may feel like justice to you (and to many of us) but it will come back to bite you in the ass! I went through my first mortgage process earlier this year and learned that e-v-e-r-y-thing shows up on your credit report. In the long run, you'll be better off!