Tranny acting strange....

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2001 | 10:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Tranny acting strange....

This sux... Just started the other day... Feels like it might be slipping. Sometimes it vibrates after the shift also. I have close to 15k miles and will be getting it serviced soon, so i'll have Park ave check it out. Has anyone else noticed any problems at 15k miles like this????
Old 07-30-2001 | 10:31 AM
'Cooter

sometimes i get it, and i'm only halfway to 15K
Old 07-30-2001 | 10:32 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Originally posted by CL-SPS:
<STRONG>This sux... Just started the other day... Feels like it might be slipping. Sometimes it vibrates after the shift also. I have close to 15k miles and will be getting it serviced soon, so i'll have Park ave check it out. Has anyone else noticed any problems at 15k miles like this????</STRONG>
Did you change your name? Did you used to be clsp1? No humm or anything here. I have 22,000 miles on mine now.
Old 07-30-2001 | 10:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by gto2050:
<STRONG>
Did you change your name? Did you used to be clsp1? No humm or anything here. I have 22,000 miles on mine now.</STRONG>
Yeah, I changed my name from tel1sps.....

I just called Park ave. and will be dropping it off friday to get checked.
Old 07-30-2001 | 10:50 AM
Moderator Alumnus

<STRONG>

Yeah, I changed my name from tel1sps.....

I just called Park ave. and will be dropping it off friday to get checked.</STRONG>
It's your lead foot steve
Old 07-30-2001 | 11:28 AM
Racer

I have been having some issues with my tranny as well. Can someone try this on their car...go about 60 slow at a moderately quick pace and then speed up, it seems that the tranny is getting slippage of sorts, it's not engaging and then thumps into gear. I have another isue at 70. In 5th and pressing on the gas to speed up the 5 to 4 also thumps in. Jens? any thoughts.
Old 07-30-2001 | 12:12 PM
Rod
Drifting

Get ready to have your trannies replaced. I felt mine slipping a bit too and shifting harshly when one day it simply got stuck in third and a couple dash indicators came on. Take it in ASAP to see if your dealer can change it before you're stuck driving in a single gear. BTW, I had mine replaced at about 11K miles.
Old 07-30-2001 | 12:36 PM
Old timer

Oh yeah, this car can handle a supercharger.
Old 07-30-2001 | 12:40 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by JRock:
<STRONG>Oh yeah, this car can handle a supercharger. </STRONG>
My thoughts exactly, but then again, some TLs have been spraying and seem to be holding up pretty well. Maybe it's b/c the effects of NOS usually aren't felt as often as the effects of a SC would since NOS is really only used when racing someone.
Old 07-30-2001 | 12:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by eclipse23:
<STRONG>

It's your lead foot steve </STRONG>
With all the racing your doing I'm suprised your trans is holding up.
Old 07-30-2001 | 01:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

<STRONG>

With all the racing your doing I'm suprised your trans is holding up. </STRONG>
It's all you girlie girls who don't drive your car hard enough, the trannies are breaking due to under-use.... :p :p :p
Old 07-30-2001 | 01:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by eclipse23:
<STRONG>

It's all you girlie girls who don't drive your car hard enough, the trannies are breaking due to under-use.... :p :p :p</STRONG>
Let's meet for lunch and race
Old 07-30-2001 | 01:14 PM
Racer

I've been noticing lately that the transmission seems to be a little sluggish or lifeless until it gets warmed up (like 1/2 way to work). I was also surprised the other day when pulling out from a red light (1/2 way into a left turn) and the transmission shifted pretty hard (accelerated at a steady rate). At that exact moment the transmission shifted, the front tires chirped. Its never done that before.

The car will be going in for its 30K service in a month or two so I will definitely tell them about the hard shifting and the sluggishness. Hopefully it just needs its transmission fluid changed!
Old 07-30-2001 | 01:22 PM
Instructor

Sundances' comment just made me curious as to if anybody else will chirp in the 1-2 shift. alot of people said their's won't do it. if the temp. is under about 80 degrees mine will do it very consistently. just wonderin'
Old 07-30-2001 | 01:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by sundance_gold:
<STRONG>I've been noticing lately that the transmission seems to be a little sluggish or lifeless until it gets warmed up (like 1/2 way to work). I was also surprised the other day when pulling out from a red light (1/2 way into a left turn) and the transmission shifted pretty hard (accelerated at a steady rate). At that exact moment the transmission shifted, the front tires chirped. Its never done that before.

The car will be going in for its 30K service in a month or two so I will definitely tell them about the hard shifting and the sluggishness. Hopefully it just needs its transmission fluid changed!</STRONG>
I'm hoping that the fluid change at 15k is all that mine needs. They were not kidding
when they said the fluid would need changing every 15k miles....
Old 07-30-2001 | 01:32 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Rod:
<STRONG>Get ready to have your trannies replaced. I felt mine slipping a bit too and shifting harshly when one day it simply got stuck in third and a couple dash indicators came on. Take it in ASAP to see if your dealer can change it before you're stuck driving in a single gear. BTW, I had mine replaced at about 11K miles.</STRONG>
I second that..This is the same thing that happened to me before mine went out..Good luck guys
Old 07-30-2001 | 01:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by ATLCL-S:
<STRONG>

I second that..This is the same thing that happened to me before mine went out..Good luck guys</STRONG>
What did the dealer tell ya????? Is it going to happen again? Is there a fix for a known problem? Do ya know what actually broke?
Old 07-30-2001 | 01:52 PM
Racer

Is what I'm describing, too, what you experienced before it failed?
Old 07-30-2001 | 02:08 PM
Retired Post Whore

When you get your service done, make sure to tell detailed problems of the tranny because Park Ave is a very respectable dealer! You should always change your tranny fluid every 15K too. Good luck man
Old 07-30-2001 | 02:20 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by sundance_gold:
<STRONG>Is what I'm describing, too, what you experienced before it failed?</STRONG>
If you're not feeling it slip often or shift harshly for no reason, then I wouldn't worry. Mine also began hunting for gears more than usual about 2-3 weeks before I finally had it replaced. When I was cruising at about 40-45 MPH I would feel it hunting for gears even though I was just cruising at a steady pace.
Old 07-30-2001 | 03:04 PM
Advanced

<STRONG>

What did the dealer tell ya????? Is it going to happen again? Is there a fix for a known problem? Do ya know what actually broke?</STRONG>
The dealer gave me a hard time at first and said nothing was wrong, but i'm in the automotive business and i know when a tranny is slipping..So I made the service manager ride with me, and not 100 feet from the dealership it started to slip..So he told me yes this is a bad tranny, and they need to replace it!!As far as what was wrong with it i don't know, they just sent it back to acura..Right now the only "fix" for the problem is a new tranny!!
Old 07-30-2001 | 03:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by ATLCL-S:
<STRONG>
As far as what was wrong with it i don't know, they just sent it back to acura..Right now the only "fix" for the problem is a new tranny!!</STRONG>
Someone at the factory must know what's wrong by now!!!! Let's see how long it take to come out!

And what realy sux is the replacement tranny may fail as quickly also!!!
Old 07-30-2001 | 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator

for those of you who have had the tranny repaced: was it a brand new tranny or was it rebuilt?
so far no problems w/mine and i've been to the track 4xs and drive the car fairly hard.

steve, have you done a lot of brake torquing w/this car?
Old 07-30-2001 | 03:32 PM
Old timer

good question about the brake torquing - i think our torque converter is a piece of crap, and brake-torquing will just finish it off sooner. I bet that's the problem. Then again maybe not. But still a good question.

I have never (and hopefully will never) brake-torque the CL-S. I've done it in a GrandAM before, a few times, with no ill effects, but that thing doesn't have transmission problems like our car seems to have if abused (or even not-abused, it seems).

-J
Old 07-30-2001 | 03:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Mike:
<STRONG>for those of you who have had the tranny repaced: was it a brand new tranny or was it rebuilt?
so far no problems w/mine and i've been to the track 4xs and drive the car fairly hard.

steve, have you done a lot of brake torquing w/this car?</STRONG>
I only brake torqued a few times (2-3)doing Gtech runs.... and most of my miles have been highway.

I wonder if any of the cars that have had tranny problems have anything in common? Like how much highway or city driving, date purchased, Sport Shifter use.... and so on
Old 07-30-2001 | 03:40 PM
magnet

yo guys my tranny is starting to act up a little well see how it goes
Old 07-30-2001 | 04:01 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by Mike:
<STRONG>for those of you who have had the tranny repaced: was it a brand new tranny or was it rebuilt?

steve, have you done a lot of brake torquing w/this car?</STRONG>
I was told that the only part reused on the replacement trannies was the casing, so they are rebuilt trannies.

I never torque braked my car, but people do say I drive aggresively. I never expected to go through this tranny in 11K miles. My previous car was also auto and the tranny didn't give me these types of problems, and it was a cheaper car.
Old 07-30-2001 | 04:04 PM
Rod
Drifting

<STRONG>I wonder if any of the cars that have had tranny problems have anything in common? Like how much highway or city driving, date purchased, Sport Shifter use.... and so on</STRONG>
What's your car's date of manufacture? I know mine and someone else's car who had tranny problems were manufactured in November 2000.
Old 07-30-2001 | 04:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

<STRONG>

What's your car's date of manufacture? I know mine and someone else's car who had tranny problems were manufactured in November 2000.</STRONG>
So is mine!!! purchased in december 2000.

Anyone else?
Old 07-30-2001 | 04:16 PM
Rod
Drifting

<STRONG>So is mine!!! purchased in december 2000.

Anyone else?</STRONG>
We may have something here. And I just remembered the other guy who has a DOM of November and had tranny problems, SidVicious, I'm pretty sure at least.
Old 07-30-2001 | 06:18 PM
Advanced

<STRONG>

We may have something here. And I just remembered the other guy who has a DOM of November and had tranny problems, SidVicious, I'm pretty sure at least.</STRONG>
My DOM is 6/2000 and i had 24k on it, so it's not just November

[ 07-30-2001: Message edited by: ATLCL-S ]
Old 07-30-2001 | 06:20 PM
B A N N E D

From: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
MIne jerks in 2nd gear at like 3000-4000 RMP..I going for service soon mi tranny acts up all the time.
Old 07-30-2001 | 06:31 PM
B A N N E D

From: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
<STRONG>

We may have something here. And I just remembered the other guy who has a DOM of November and had tranny problems, SidVicious, I'm pretty sure at least.</STRONG>

How can u tell when it was made?
Old 07-30-2001 | 06:36 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by StonedCL:
<STRONG>How can u tell when it was made?</STRONG>
When you have the driver's door open it's on the labels in there.
Old 07-30-2001 | 06:38 PM
Pro

The replacement trannies are factory remanfactured- meaning all the newest and best updates and changes they may have made. We have not had any repeat failures with the replacements as of yet...

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you change your tranny fluid by 15k miles...

[ 07-30-2001: Message edited by: wayneg ]
Old 07-30-2001 | 06:47 PM
B A N N E D

Originally posted by JRock:
<STRONG>good question about the brake torquing - i think our torque converter is a piece of crap, and brake-torquing will just finish it off sooner. I bet that's the problem. Then again maybe not. But still a good question.

I have never (and hopefully will never) brake-torque the CL-S. I've done it in a GrandAM before, a few times, with no ill effects, but that thing doesn't have transmission problems like our car seems to have if abused (or even not-abused, it seems).

-J</STRONG>
What the hell is break torqing?
Old 07-30-2001 | 06:49 PM
B A N N E D

Originally posted by wayneg:
<STRONG>The replacement trannies are factory remanfactured- meaning all the newest and best updates and changes they may have made. We have not had any repeat failures with the replacements as of yet...

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you change your tranny fluid by 15k miles...

[ 07-30-2001: Message edited by: wayneg ]</STRONG>
Wayne I brought mine in to u guys at 15K for the 15K maintence and it was done and mi tranny is getting bad sometimes it dont shift into 3rd, and it jerks alot when starting driving slow..
Old 07-30-2001 | 06:53 PM
Ambidextrous Masturbator

Rod.. you are correct. It is me who has the same DOM (11/00) and have had my tranny replaced.

I was experiencing the same symptoms listed here. My first visit to the dealer was for a replaced solenoid. That didn't fix the problem and it eventually got even worse. Second visit to the dealer was for a new tranny (or rebuilt, but I think it is too early to have rebuilt ones... just a guess).

So far no problems, but it has only been a few days since I got the car back.

My problems started around 12k miles and I drive the car pretty hard and use SS mode. No torque braking.
Old 07-30-2001 | 06:55 PM
Ambidextrous Masturbator

Originally posted by StonedCL:
<STRONG>

What the hell is break torqing?</STRONG>
When you hold the brake with your left foot and the gas with your right foot at the same time and the RPM's go up to a certain level so when you let go of the brake, you take off quick.

edit - spelling errors

[ 07-30-2001: Message edited by: SidVicious ]
Old 07-30-2001 | 07:03 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by SidVicious:
<STRONG>Rod.. you are correct. It is me who has the same DOM (11/00) and have had my tranny replaced.

I was experiencing the same symptoms listed here. My first visit to the dealer was for a replaced solenoid. That didn't fix the problem and it eventually got even worse. Second visit to the dealer was for a new tranny (or rebuilt, but I think it is too early to have rebuilt ones... just a guess).

So far no problems, but it has only been a few days since I got the car back.

My problems started around 12k miles and I drive the car pretty hard and use SS mode. No torque braking.</STRONG>
I was pretty sure it was you.

And same here...

They first replaced my shifting solenoid, but it still wasn't shifting properly so they put in a new tranny and, I think, a new torque converter.

No problems here yet either, but it's only been about 750 miles probably. I feel the shift lever a bit tighter now when moving through the gears though, or maybe it's just me, but I think it does feel a bit more solid.

Quick Reply: Tranny acting strange....