Trading my 03CLS6 for the same with navi...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 05:14 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trading my 03CLS6 for the same with navi...

I wonder how many "Man, you are Nucking Futs" replys this post will generate. Here is the situation. My satin silver no navi no spoiler CLS6 is six months old TODAY, 5/30/03. 10,500 miles exactly on the odo. Not one scratch, zero dings, interior perfect.

Some of you may recall I am the guy who sent out his 03 double split spoke wheels to www.goodrichtechnology.com and got the powder coated wheel treatment that is known as "black satin chrome". I think they look really great, but if I had to do it all over I would have gotten the straight, bright chrome look. It would have complimented the satin silver better. And after seeing my vice presidents G35 sedan with the navi, I just want to have that navi. I can justify it, I travel a lot. In fact, starting June 23, I will have to make WEEKLY 800 mile round trips from Chicago to 50 miles east of Cincinnatti. I gotta come back to check on the folks, both 85, pay the bills and mortgage, and fill out the expense reports. This could go on for 16 straight weeks!

Anyway, I go to the dealer today after work for oil change number three. And while waiting for them to start on the car, an Anthricite 03 CLS pulls in directly behind me. It was love at first sight. My wheels would look so cool on that car. I got to get me one of these!

So, if the dealer can find me an 03 anthricite 6 speed CLS navi (and I will NOT settle for anything else, except blue, because it contrasts, and that is ok, the silver and black pearl chrome kinda clash), I told them I might be interested and we would talk.

The silver CLS is paid for, so, the math on this should be pretty simple. The only differences would be color and navi. I keep my wheels, and maybe tires.

What are they going to ding me for guys? Voice your opinion on the color (shouldn't make a difference) and the navi and depreciation. If I keep the tires with the wheels, I'll demand another $300 off from their best offer. With all the driving I have coming up, starting with a zeroed out odometer appeals to me. Assuming the bill, taxes, etc included does not exceed $7,000 or so, I could probably pay the thing off in 3 months or so. And I know plenty of you folks are thrifty, but please, do not suggest flying and renting a car every week. I have about 200 pounds of analytical equipment I have to haul around, and it is valueable stuff. $30,000 or so.

Almost forgot: this would be my seventh Acura from the same dealer, five from the same salesman from 1992! They not only know my name, they know my MIDDLE name.
Old 05-30-2003, 06:07 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do what ever makes u happy dawg

they should give u a good deal
Old 05-30-2003, 06:09 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this sounds like a repeat from another member
Old 05-30-2003, 06:10 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice choice with the Anthracite/Nav setup. Go with that and you won't regret it. There's no bias coming from me either however.
Old 05-30-2003, 06:33 PM
6SPDCLS

Here's something to really think about sir:

Before you take the plunge, realise the CLS navigation is quite old...4 years old to be exact.

* Navigation screen size is limited to 6.5" inches
* Navigation maps are outdated...until this FALL hopefully
* Interface is not as good as what is available now to Acura

that's only (3) negatives I can complain about...the positives are:

The only reason justifiable to purchase another CLS w/navi is:

* You need car now..cause the color will match your rims
* The car must come with navi cause it fills in the center dash area quite well
* Hopefully they will release some new maps and maybe even fix the interface a bit...that would make the navi worth $2k

other than that, i'd hold off on the trade in. Yes, you are getting a 6spd CLS w/navi..but don't you already have a 6 speed? You paid off your car...the car has alot of equity left. Acura has released even a 8" inch navigation screen for the TSX! They should for the new CL/TL. Why lose some more money to try to paint match body with the rims? Again, newer car is probably coming out really soon...and will have so many more improvements...either you wait it out and lose some on the value of your current CLS...and get something that is due out soon that has so much more or just plunk the car down and trade in...losing some money along the way.

If you want it, and you must have it, then you will get it.
Old 05-30-2003, 06:44 PM
Banned

if I were you and really wanted Navi get the Alpine aVa 900 7" flip screen with DVD and dolby pro logic and the Alpine Navi. Not only is the Navi better but the screen looks 50 times better than the stock screen....the 900 has a 1 megapixel to watch DVD from the deck. Not only that but it has a 115 % DVD signal to noise and 105 % signal to noise CD..meaning crystal clear sound...also it has 2 additional AV inputs and also a input for a reverse camera. Not only that but all you have to do is get a faceplate like mine and hook it up with the stock Bose amp and possibly get the Infinity BAsslink for additional Bass for your 5.1 Dolby prologic. My man that system would rock the shit out of the stock Navi sound system in SOUND AND VISUAL...are you kidding me trade in your car for simply Navi is nut not only that but Silver is a Hot color also not as nice as Anthracite but it holds its own.

lou
Old 05-30-2003, 06:46 PM
Drifting

DDT: It is not a "must". But on the other hand, with all the traveling I have to do, if I kept the silver one, by the time it hits a year old, it will have 25,000 miles. That is a lot. And if no CLS replacement comes out until 2005, figure 50,000. So, I am trying not to give acura an excuse to ding me for "high mileage".

This driving thing is something I have no choice about. I figured out a way to improve powder coating on very expensive items we produce, and it saves the company a lot of money. The company figures, maybe incorrectly, that I am the "guru" of the process, and they are demanding that I am there to get alll the details right. I have no choice.

Still, I value all your opinions, and thank you. But again, how much would I get stuck for? Opinions please!
Old 05-30-2003, 06:58 PM
Banned

* motorized, low-temperature poly-silicone LCD 7" video monitor
* 1.15 million pixels for exceptional picture quality
* monitor angle adjustment
* detachable face
* plays DVDs, CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, and MP3 discs
* Bass Engine® Plus
o 4-channel time correction
o 3-position high-/low-pass crossover
o bass and treble center frequency control
o subwoofer level and phase control
* MediaXpander
* multi-zone capable
* MaxTune SQ tuner
* Ai-Net CD/DVD changer controls
* 3 audio/video inputs
* navigation input
* rear camera input
* 2 audio/video outputs
* 3 sets of 4-volt preamp outputs
* digital art spectrum analyzer display
* 23 watts RMS/50 watts peak x 4 channels
* DVD/CD signal-to-noise ratio 115 dB
* DVD/CD frequency response 5-20,000 Hz
* FM sensitivity 9.3 dBf
* 1-year warranty

* mobile DVD-ROM drive
* DVD-ROM covers continental US and portions of Canada (with a database of over 6 million points of interest)
* 12-channel GPS receiver
* GPS antenna with 16-foot cable
* built-in gyro sensor
* vehicle speed sensor input
* video output for connection to monitor
* CD-quality voice guidance
* stores up to 99 personal address book entries
* instant route calculation (reroutes you within seconds if you miss a turn)
* wireless remote control
* dimensions: 7-3/4"W x 2"H x 8-15/16"D (navigation unit); 1-5/8"W x 9/16"H x 2"D (GPS antenna)
* 1-year warranty

http://products.consumerguide.com/cp...x.cfm/id/23813

PROBLEM SOLVED
Old 05-30-2003, 07:05 PM
Banned

this is the stupidest thing ive ever heard, what a waste dude, the CL-S/TL-S navi is outdated, abandoned technology. only the new accord, MDX, or TSX have a navi worth buying. youd be a complete, utter fool to do this. why would you want an outdated navi with a tiny screen that has no future support whatsoever?? its pure stupidity, yeah, im being harsh, but thats what i do, i tell it like it is, i call a spade a spade, i dont beat around the bush. bottom line, this is retarded.

youd be better off getting a G35C with navi, its got a better navi than the current CL/TL, its got more balls, and its a hell of a tight package.

at the very least, wait till the new TL-S comes out, it will be all new, higher power, and have the new navi.

some people i guess are just born to be bone-heads.

the gear lou pointed out is EONS ahead of the navi in the CL/TL
Old 05-30-2003, 07:12 PM
Drifting

Lou: How much, everything included? I am REALLY BUSY right now, have 23 days to make a decision. If I go your route, I will have to pay to have someone put it in. No biggie on the money part, but I want someting that doesn't look "cobbeled" together.

I wish the CL had the same technology as the new accord which sounds fabulous. I am trying to balance the "poor resale value" of the CL (which I attribute entirely to the auto trans problem) against mileage. Gotta admit, your photo is crystal clear. Please send more details.

But if you saw a photoshop of my rims on an anthricite, I think you would understand why I was so smitten.

I come from a long aviation background, so I understand why these GPS devices are so valueable. And because I recently lost my medical certification to fly, that explains the excess "mad money" I have. Flying is expensive.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:15 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Jim -

There's no need to call Dave a "bone head", ratarded, etc. He's an extremely nice guy who doesn't need to hear this kind of crap.

Sometimes you can really be an idiot.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:24 PM
Banned

dfreder I understand but remember there is reason why so many people are switching to the g35 and 350Z....it has many advantages over the cls 6 speed. If you really want the stock navi in anthracite buy a used one that somebody took care of.

As far as the Navi the deck will cost you around $1700 but Ive gotten some pricing as low less than $1600

the Navi system is around $1500 so all in all its about $3K without the face plate. Why do you have to pay anybody to install its as easy as installing an aftermarket radio. I have an Alpine deck and the sounds is way better than the stock deck...in both modes Radio and cD...not only that but you can get an aftermarket 12 cD changer but the alpine tv plays MP3 which is great.

I don't know who does Acura's navi but I think its alpine anyways but they give you a cheap screen with low resolution. The models Im urging you to buy are top of the line in the current market....this is it....and will surely ROCK.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:28 PM
Drifting

Jim: Not being insensitive here, but you really have to understand ther are two types of CL owners here. Those with a navi, and those without. I have had exactly ONE experience with a navi in a G35S. I put up a post two months ago or so, asking if you were a navi owner, would you get it again, and the posts came back 13 to 0, get the navi.

My overriding concerns here were appearance for color match and mileage considerations here, and with what little I knew about the navi, and the positive comments I got, I'd be damned if I would do a trade at 6 months, which I would probably get hosed on, but damn, I would get what I want for the satisfaction.

I take no umbrage at you calling me a "bonehead" for being unschooled about the apparently technically out of date acura navi, but I would not cally you a bonehead if you did not understand powder coating. NO OFFENSE TAKEN, but, did you have a bad day?
Old 05-30-2003, 07:30 PM
whoXwanXsum

jim- chill bro

dfreder370- go for it bro. i dont think your stupid at all. i've known my salesman since i was 15! i was dreaming of an acura then! funny shit..and the guy is till there. i have bought 7 cars from him myself and refered MANY people. you will love the navi.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:31 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I posted this exact same dilemma 2 months ago. I have not done it because it was going to cost me too much and not worth it.
I've bought 2 cars from my local dealer and 3 weeks after I bought my used 6 speed from my dealer I tried the exact same thing. They would only offer me wholesale on my 03. It was a used car when I bought it too. So I would have taken a $3k hit right away and they wanted $7k +ttl for a new one with Navi. I basically didn't even want to do anymore business with them anyway. I talked with 6 or 7 other dealers in my state and FLA. Same or higher prices and more of a hassle.
So then I tried to sell it myself and have had no takers. I really do like my car (white with tan). The dark colors look much better but are more maintenance and hot in TX.
I decided I just don't want to spend anymore for another CLS6.
The car is great but the styling is not that great to me. that's why I wanted a better color. I much prefer the look of the BMW 330 coupe or G35 coupes. I paid $27.2k and got an extra yr warranty.

I'm getting over wanting a different CLS. I only owe $12k on this one. I don't feel about it like I did my Legend coupes. Those were cool looking cars. The CL is very fun to drive but looks bland IMO.
I bought it, I'll keep it, but I probably won't get another CLS6 unless financially it is a steal.

Good luck - pS I also wanted the anthracite 6 with Navi. None of the CL colors are that great IMO. A silver, lighter than the anthracite and darker than than the silver would have been perfect. I'd prefer a gray interior also, like the new RSX, TSX, and maybe the RLs.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:39 PM
Drifting

Lou: Can you explain the difference between "about $1500 and $3000, with the faceplate? I am assuming a new dash board fascia. Ideally, I want to have something I can trade in, sooner or later, that people will have faith in that the dealer can fix if all goes wrong. And lou, with what I have going on at work right now, I am busier than a five peckered owl with a hard on. I have no time to install. If I take Jimcoles advice, I can have the entire car repainted for $3000 (I have connections, you would never know it was silver) if the navi is that bad.

Scrib: thanks for your support, and Jim, no hard feelings. I am looking for answers. Regarding the G, I need a big trunk and back seat. Still looking for dollar figures. You can exclude the price of the navi If you wish. I want a new anthricite. I LIKE new.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:42 PM
Daily Driver

Man, the first I saw this thread I thought we had lost a CLS6 to the dark side of the G35C 6MT. whew! close one...

You mentioned that a $7K hit would be reasonable. If you got Lou's suggested setup for $3K, and spent a little more on a good paint job of a color of your choice, what would that run you? It might be similar, and you could hand-pick a color that would go with your wheels, if that suited you. You would still have the 10K miles on the odo, but the Acura engine is built to go forever. The rotors maybe not, but that's another issue anyways...

So that's what I'd do - custom paint the car to your exact tastes, get an aftermarket navi to fill your needs, and skip getting hit with new car depreciation twice in a year. But that's me - if you've got the bucks and the desire, enjoy your new Anthracite!
Old 05-30-2003, 07:49 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Dave --- I tried to get my dealer to get me into a CLS 6spd with NAVI from my '02 slushbox w/o NAVI.

Their best offer was 7K as the difference and that was WITHOUT NAVI. While I didn't have an '03 6spd, I did want to atleast throw out what I was offered. I hope you'll get a much better offer than I did.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:07 PM
Drifting

Thanks Scrib: If you check the archives, about two weeks ago, someone posted a thread similar to "BMW will paint a car any color you like" (for a price, that is). In there, there was a BMW that, appeared to me, that exactly matched my black/chrome wheels, and if it cost $10k to match the wheels, I would do it. I know, it sounds stupid, but if you find the picture, tell me I am wrong. When you work in paint and appearance for a living, paint and appearance mean everything. I pm'ed Nicky Pass, trying to see if he would like to acquire a CLS6, mine. I would reather see someone who appreciates the car acquire it, rather than some schmoe who doesn't appreciate what he would be getting. Congrats on your G35. I would like to see it, go for a ride someday. And no, I have never seen a five or six speed rental, and I rent a lot. (other post by scrib.)
Old 05-30-2003, 08:10 PM
Drifting

So Scrib: Do you think your 02 versus my 03 WITH a navi could be done for 7K? Sounds reasonable to me.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:13 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by dfreder370
So Scrib: Do you think your 02 versus my 03 WITH a navi could be done for 7K? Sounds reasonable to me.
I'm sure it can be done. Especially if you have a long standing relationship with your dealer.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:14 PM
Advanced

dood i say do whatever makes you happy. if you can rationalize the money hit and its no thing to you, go ahead and do it. you got to be happy with the car you ride in. ive realized that as long as im happy with my ride, then my outlook on everything else is also happy. thats why ive got a bad outlook now. cuz i want my ride lowered and with headers now but my bank account is telling me its not happening for awhile. oh well i can always look at peeps rides from this website and dream.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:42 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
As good as the Acura navi was 3 years ago, it has become pretty outdated today.

As others have already said-- why spend that kind of cash for an "old tech" navi system?

Just put an aftermarket navi in your current car for $2K-$3K (alpine, pioneer both make excellent systems) and be happy.

You'd be nuts to take a huge hit because of the navi only.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
dfreder370- I totally feel ya man. I had the Navi in my CLS and I LOVED it. I've played along with alot of navigation systems in recent times and I think the old CLS system is still good. Yes, slightly outdated compared to some of the newer systems but it is still very reliable. Jim-, DID YOU EVEN OWN THE FCKN SYSTEM? Fckn haters always talking shit and never even owned a navigation system or used it.... now maybe it would be different if you had the old one, and you now have the new one. Fuckn :ghey: I used my navi like every freakin weekend when I went somewhere for the first time, always found the spot, although it wouldnt pick up newer restaurants (that's why you can put input the address, or if worse comes to worse, the intersection). and BTW, I've NEVER updated my DVD and it's 3 years OLD! Since dfreder370 is from my neck of the woods, you shouldnt have any problems, and the navi system has been updated anyays a few times since the initial release.......... now if you plan on traveling to new area/developments.........then I see a problem...the future on updates/and future support is questionable at this time. Also, I would do a search or ask other members for AFTERMARKET navi system pics on their CL. I for one would only settle for a very CLEAN look.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:03 PM
Drifting

The desicion has been made. I told my dealer to find me an anthricite 03 CLS6 with a navi. No firm commitmenents have been made yet. I only said that if you get the car, we will talk.

Seeing that I have bought about 175,000$ worth of these cars from these guys, this should be a good yardstick to measure by.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:23 PM
Instructor

dfreder370,

Since you said it is already paid off, why not sell privately, then buy the new car? You will probably end up taking less of a hit from a private sale than a dealer trade in.

Also, check places like CarsDirect, kbb, edmunds, etc. for the invoice prices and the current average selling price for both the old car and the '03. Right now, I know that Acura has $1000 dealer incentive, so you can get a CL-S 6sp with Navi for UNDER invoice...(I think invoice is $30,650...you can buy via Cars Direct for $30,400 in my area, lower in other areas). I just ordered a Black one which is currently being built....got it for $29,999. Will be be out of the factory on June 14th, and in my hands by the end of June.

AFTER you get the price you want from the dealer on the new car, then work on what they will give you for the trade in....they may tell you numbers on the trade in that appear to be a $7000 loss, but if they keep the price of the new car up near sticker, you will be taking a loss closer to $10,000.
Old 05-31-2003, 08:25 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Selling it back to the dealer has one major perk, and that's TAX savings. Say he can get 23K for his CLS and they'll sell him a new one for 30K. He'd only pay tax on the 7K and not the full 30K. He'd have to sell his CLS privately at around 25+K to make up for this tax savings. An unlikely senario.
Old 05-31-2003, 04:49 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the replys guys. Unixadim, I will look into ordering one. An area search for a anthricite 6 speeder with a navi was a no show. And I will check out the aftermarket navis. I assume these are transferable from car to car? Lou? But guys, it's the damn color I am after!
Old 06-02-2003, 11:20 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by dfreder370
And I will check out the aftermarket navis. I assume these are transferable from car to car? Lou? But guys, it's the damn color I am after!
You could buy something like a Garmin Street Pilot III if you wanted to be able to transfer your navi to different cars.

But if you want a truly integrated system, look at the systems from Pioneer and Alpine. Both those systems are better than the factory navi.