torque convertor and LSD

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 10:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
torque convertor and LSD

no im not trippin' again! but I have been giving some thought inot the benefits of a higher stall TC and to compliment the off the line gains adapting the 6mt's limited slip...anyone got any input???

also ...my prefrence would be to raise the stall on my exsiting unit...i realize removal would be nessacary but id perfer original equipment if possible....can it be done...ideas on cost...and hey while we're at it any ideas inexpensive ideas on getting the tranny to shift quicker? a cable adjustment the raises line pressure? a change of fluid? a change in voltage to the ecu?

all comments welcome
Old 07-12-2002, 10:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In all honesty, it may be difficult to adapt. But until hard drawings are observed these comments are very much reserved. However if it can be done, the VSA will get in the way and will need to be disabled.

As for quicker shifts, mechanically it could be done but it is primarily controlled by the ECU.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by scalbert

As for quicker shifts, mechanically it could be done but it is primarily controlled by the ECU.
could you elaborate
Old 07-13-2002, 08:52 AM
Suzuka Master

As with any automatic vehicle, valve body modifications could increase the line pressure which will fim up and quicken the shifts. The specifics on our car I do not know...
Old 07-13-2002, 09:43 AM
Senior Moderator

As with any automatic vehicle, valve body modifications could increase the line pressure which will fim up and quicken the shifts. The specifics on our car I do not know...
ah...i was thinking adjust a shift linkage cable or change voltage to ecu....i think maybe the AEM stand alone computer could do the task ...no?
Old 07-13-2002, 04:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by typeR
ah...i was thinking adjust a shift linkage cable or change voltage to ecu....i think maybe the AEM stand alone computer could do the task ...no?
You could alter the signal the the line pressure control solenoid. But since these are typically pulse width modulated, it isn't as simple as increasing or decreasing the voltage.
Old 07-13-2002, 04:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
The AEM EMS was scheduled to come out for my car. With the tranny that apparently AEM and Level 10 can't figure out I've heard rumors that they shelved the idea.
Old 07-14-2002, 03:54 AM
Safety Car

I had an '01 cls, and i was researching the parts nubers for the LSD and the casing is different so the LSD will not fit without somekind of mods. Thats the whole reason i bought an '03 m/t.
Old 07-14-2002, 06:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LSD -- even if it fits, you would want to make sure the TCS and VSA were always turned off. The two together (even if they fit) would be a "problem". I could see the brakes getting a brutal work out if the TCS/VSA were left on during a hard start (especially on some loose surface).

AS for the shift control mods: The valve pressure is one area, and I believe Level-10 can "dick-around" with the valve bodies. However, there seems to be a lot of confusion about what they can and can't do and I haven't a clue about any reliability issues that you might run into (I sure don’t know about “quality” and complaint issues that seem to pop-up here from…)

The solenoids are supposed to be linear. That means they can adjust the ramp time (up and down going). Rise-time and fall-time could be altered. However, as Scalbert mentioned, I don't know the exact control mechanism for the control of the "ramping". Someone could start by building a test harness to get a look at the signals going to one or more solenoids. Depending on the "design", it is possible that the ramp is done under linear control. If the ramp was shortened and/or lengthened, there could be consequences that could affect the reliability of the solenoid drivers. If the output is PWM -- then you're looking at more parts – it is NOT a dead end.. (IN the case of the linear drive, there are some “basic” analog techniques that could be used to intercept the solenoid drive signals and change the RISE and FALL time of the solenoid control signal I’m talking Radio Shack parts. AND, I’m presuming that the clutch pack engagement is linearly related to the electrical signals -- this is something that would have to be tested… Who knows for sure? )

Finally, the torque converter is an option that would require someone to change the fin characteristics (and other features) of the converter. There is one issue that would concern me -- my car "unlocks" the torque converter up-hills and runs to 6,000 rpm (or close to it) under WOT above 5K or so. It seems to stay "unlocked" until the torque peak is reached at 6-6.1K rpm (headers moves the torque peak up). I would have some concerns for: Gas mileage (ok, I'm pretty sure you don't care) and for potential "grade logic" and "adaptive logic" brain fade. (I could see an overaggressive stall speed causing a car to run over the fuel cut-off RPM if certain conditions where encountered... (Does it mean IT WILL HAPPEN -- NO. I'm just pointing out that there are some issues that are not "crystal clear"...)
Old 07-14-2002, 10:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Why all this talk about lysergic acid diethylamide, it should have nothing to do with vehicles...
Old 07-14-2002, 11:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Why all this talk about lysergic acid diethylamide, it should have nothing to do with vehicles...
"here take this ...it's the key...."
"...sombody scratch my balls..."
Old 07-14-2002, 09:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LSD injection system -- the only mod required... Operator is flying really fast and will crash sooner or later...

Also, LSD injection usage may require the use of STP (at a later date)...