TL-S Key FOB question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2001, 03:45 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL-S Key FOB question

As some of you know, I had my briefcase stolen in Phoenix a few weeks ago and I lost my car keys (Remote 1 and valet key). Park Avenue Acura was good enough to sell me 2 new TL-S remotes and program them for me. The question is this.....some of you have purchased these remotes and continue to use your old remote. I have been told that you can program up to 3 remotes but more than 3 knocks the next one off. Acura says no. Can anyone confirm this? I have an old remote that is pretty much a nice fishing lure now.

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
PAA Polished CAI
Polarg M6
Solaris 9005
Cupholder Ver 2.0 Part#77237-SOK-A02
DOM 3/2000

gto2050 (Mike) - The voice of absolutely no reason whatsoever!
Old 06-18-2001, 03:48 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mike- just stop by with all 3 and lets see if we can make them work

------------------
Wayne Gruen
Service Manager
Park Ave Acura
*** The opinions expressed above are my own and I in no way speak for American Honda or Acura. ***

2002 TL-S Black on Black
Factory Body Kit, Factory Spoiler, Comptech Springs, Comptech Sways, Comptech Headers, Comptech Exhaust, Xephyr CAI
Tuning by Jens
Old 06-18-2001, 03:55 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gto2050:
As some of you know, I had my briefcase stolen in Phoenix a few weeks ago and I lost my car keys (Remote 1 and valet key). Park Avenue Acura was good enough to sell me 2 new TL-S remotes and program them for me. The question is this.....some of you have purchased these remotes and continue to use your old remote. I have been told that you can program up to 3 remotes but more than 3 knocks the next one off. Acura says no. Can anyone confirm this? I have an old remote that is pretty much a nice fishing lure now.

</font>
I commented on this to you at the Meet but after checking a minute ago, my old remote does NOT work. Either there is a two limit or there is a combo two #1s and one #2 or something like that.

In any case, I'm glad there's a limit because this presents a security issue with valet parking. You give your valet key to the attendent, what is to prevent them from programming their own remote on your car (for the purposes of entering your vehicle later)? If programming a new remote knocks off a current remote (hopefully the one you use frequently), that will tip you off. You can easily reprogram what you already have and knock them back off. Is this right?

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 06-18-2001, 04:46 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ken- you are right- when you program the remotes, you have to do all of them at the same session. If you exit program mode- any old transmitter that did work, won't anymore.

------------------
Wayne Gruen
Service Manager
Park Ave Acura
*** The opinions expressed above are my own and I in no way speak for American Honda or Acura. ***

2002 TL-S Black on Black
Factory Body Kit, Factory Spoiler, Comptech Springs, Comptech Sways, Comptech Headers, Comptech Exhaust, Xephyr CAI
Tuning by Jens
Old 06-18-2001, 05:01 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Hmmm... now I got something to think about.... I really wouldn't keep the valet key on the same key ring with the remote but I see your point, Ken. This means that the thief or proposed thief would have to be friends with Shawn S as he is the only one that's not too cheap to buy the Helms manual. Someone I talked to said that they were able to make three work but I bet you have to do them all at the same time. Thanks, Wayne. Maybe I'll come by tomorrow afternoon. I gotta be down in that neck o' the woods at 3:30PM.

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
PAA Polished CAI
Polarg M6
Solaris 9005
Cupholder Ver 2.0 Part#77237-SOK-A02
DOM 3/2000

gto2050 (Mike) - The voice of absolutely no reason whatsoever!
Old 06-18-2001, 08:53 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wayneg:
Ken- you are right- when you program the remotes, you have to do all of them at the same session. If you exit program mode- any old transmitter that did work, won't anymore.

</font>
Ok, that makes sense. Wouldn't want someone with a blank remote to make a copy of my remote just because they were able to sit in my car for awhile with my key in the ignition (read valet person).

Looks like I have to plan another 5-minute session to redo all three of my remotes at the same time.

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 06-18-2001, 10:50 PM
Team Owner

I only bought ONE new TL remote and I only programmed THAT new one at the time.
My TWO original remotes still work.

The HELM specifically says that THREE will be retained in memory until a FOURTH is added.

Here is a link to the instructions I scanned:REMOTE PROGRAM

Shawn S

------------------
Make me an offer….It’s FOR SALE when the 6-Speed MANUAL comes out, I HATE the SLUSH SHIFT !!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER AMP w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Xephyr CAI - Shine by ZAINO
For Photos see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 06-18-2001, 11:59 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shawn S:
I only bought ONE new TL remote and I only programmed THAT new one at the time.
My TWO original remotes still work.

The HELM specifically says that THREE will be retained in memory until a FOURTH is added.

Here is a link to the instructions I scanned:REMOTE PROGRAM

Shawn S

</font>
When I programmed my new TLS remote, a couple of things could have happened: It took my several tries so I probably filled up some of the extra slots. Or, coming from the factory, the three original slots where filled with the #1 remote in slot #1 and slot #2, and the #2 remote in #3. So when I programmed my TLS remote, my #2 remote got kicked off completely. Because right now my #2 remote does not work and I can't exactly find my #1 remote presently, to see if it still works.

In any case, this might serve as a warning to CL owners concerned with theft. If your CL comes with two remotes programmed and one slot empty and open, that is a security risk in my opinion. As I've mentioned, if you use a valet and they take a blank remote and program it without your knowledge, they can come back to your car later and steal from you. If you live in a small town, or they recognize who you are (or your car) or whatever, it would be disconcerting to know think there's a remote out there that can open your door. I've been ripped off from my car about three times. It is horrible each time.

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *