TL owner might become a CL-S owner, Need some info.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 10:32 PM
ASSEMBLED TO PERFECTION

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TL owner might become a CL-S owner, Need some info.

I currently got a 99 TL with 99k miles, had it for about 3 years, warranty is about to be up so im thinking of selling it and getting a 01-03 CL-S either 6spd or auto, havent decided yet, would love the 6spd though lol. I got three main questions.

1. Does the CL's have any other common problems, besides the auto tranny like the TL's?

2. Does the 6spd's have any tranny related problems?

3. What the hell is up with 95% of the CL's not having a lip kit on this forum? A lot of the cars on here could actually look good if they had a lip kit, im sorry but the 4X4 look with huge rims doesn't do it for me. I know the TL front lip can be modified on, is it that hard to put it on? Are the lip kits a million dollars? What is it?? I dont get ittt..?? If you go on the TL forum , theres tons of hot ass tl's but im sorry to say but I didn't see any jaw dropping CL's on here.... Someone fill me in....
Old 09-01-2006, 01:21 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BLaCk Acc
I currently got a 99 TL with 99k miles, had it for about 3 years, warranty is about to be up so im thinking of selling it and getting a 01-03 CL-S either 6spd or auto, havent decided yet, would love the 6spd though lol. I got three main questions.

1. Does the CL's have any other common problems, besides the auto tranny like the TL's?

2. Does the 6spd's have any tranny related problems?

3. What the hell is up with 95% of the CL's not having a lip kit on this forum? A lot of the cars on here could actually look good if they had a lip kit, im sorry but the 4X4 look with huge rims doesn't do it for me. I know the TL front lip can be modified on, is it that hard to put it on? Are the lip kits a million dollars? What is it?? I dont get ittt..?? If you go on the TL forum , theres tons of hot ass tl's but im sorry to say but I didn't see any jaw dropping CL's on here.... Someone fill me in....
If you are going to switch to a CL forget the auto. The 99 TL has the 4 speed auto and is not plauged with the tranny problems... and when in SS mode, stays in first till you tell it to shift. For some stupid reason, the 5ATs do the 1-2 shift automatically... really dumb! My wife has a 99TL with a skirt kit and it is great looking and great driving car. Unless you can find a good 6MT, I wouldn't trade.

I can't comment on the lip kit or lack thereof, but ther are a lot of hot looking cars on this forum. I am dropped 2" and do not need a cow catcher on the front to pick up quarters
Old 09-01-2006, 07:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
On the lip kit, there's only like 2 that look good, They are $$ & really not worth it to most.
PM Minch00, He was looking to get rid of his 6MT CLS & he's in Orlando.
I wouldn't get any CLS except for a 6MT. There are no major probelm with the cars. The only problem with the auto's is the tranny.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:59 PM
ASSEMBLED TO PERFECTION

Originally Posted by goredcar
If you are going to switch to a CL forget the auto. The 99 TL has the 4 speed auto and is not plauged with the tranny problems... and when in SS mode, stays in first till you tell it to shift. For some stupid reason, the 5ATs do the 1-2 shift automatically... really dumb! My wife has a 99TL with a skirt kit and it is great looking and great driving car. Unless you can find a good 6MT, I wouldn't trade.

I can't comment on the lip kit or lack thereof, but ther are a lot of hot looking cars on this forum. I am dropped 2" and do not need a cow catcher on the front to pick up quarters
We'll I know the 99's are less likely to have problems but unfortunatly I went through two trannies, but this one im on seems to be holding up pretty good but still dont want the risk of paying for a new tranny after 100k. I would really like to keep the car for a little longer but I kind of can't, unless I am willing to take a hit which im not.

As far as the lip kits goes, I don't mean the huge front lips but something simple like the OEM kit on the TL's , it makes the car look 100 times better with it.

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
On the lip kit, there's only like 2 that look good, They are $$ & really not worth it to most.
PM Minch00, He was looking to get rid of his 6MT CLS & he's in Orlando.
I wouldn't get any CLS except for a 6MT. There are no major probelm with the cars. The only problem with the auto's is the tranny.

Which two lip kits are those and how much do they cost? Can someone post up a pic of them with there prices?

I'll PM minch00, thanks for that info by the way.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:15 PM
I'm here in spirit...

There is the RJ kit (see top, right corner of page), the Versus(sp?) kit, and the modified TL lip.

Since I already had thes available, here you go...

Versus:

RJ:

TL kit:

Personally, I think the CL looks better w/o a kit or lip. The car has smooth, curvy edges and the kits throw it off IMHO. To each his own though.

Mine

If you're going to get a CL, just get a 6spd and be done with worrying about tranny problems. The car is pretty much bullet proof as far as reliability and problems go.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:17 PM
I'm here in spirit...

BTW, BLaCK Acc, I have seen your TL on the forum before and I think it's a hot ride, man!
Old 09-01-2006, 03:35 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
Personally, I think the CL looks better w/o a kit or lip. The car has smooth, curvy edges and the kits throw it off IMHO. To each his own though.
I think you're biased.

I personally think the OEM TL kit modified looks the best.
Black Acc - if you have any questions regarding the TL kit modifications onto ur CL just PM me. I have the kit on my car and have had it for over 3 years now.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:37 PM
CLS is gone.. H22 TEG NOW

bump for a dope ass TL... if ur lookin into CLS... Auto is a really bad idea... u'll end up sellin urs in a heartbeat once the tranny start grinding on you... but i do understand the fact that people like our cars auto because its a luxruy ride.. well whatever choice you make good luck to ya
Old 09-01-2006, 03:39 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
6 speed was only offered in 03. I'd avoid the 01-02s.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:42 PM
10th Gear

Hey Lord Helmet, did you do something with your head lights on theat CL of yours? They look almost like they have a slight tint to them... Which by the way I think is Thight
Old 09-01-2006, 03:52 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Originally Posted by brianlin87
I think you're biased.

Originally Posted by Zvijer
Hey Lord Helmet, did you do something with your head lights on theat CL of yours? They look almost like they have a slight tint to them... Which by the way I think is Thight
Thanks. Yeah, I painted them an antracite color and I tinted the amber diffusers.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:57 PM
10th Gear

Did you have them done some where and how much was it. Oh and wait a minute, You're out of CO, you live in Denver ?
Old 09-01-2006, 04:05 PM
ASSEMBLED TO PERFECTION

Thanks for all the compliments!

Originally Posted by blingbling69k69k
bump for a dope ass TL... if ur lookin into CLS... Auto is a really bad idea... u'll end up sellin urs in a heartbeat once the tranny start grinding on you... but i do understand the fact that people like our cars auto because its a luxruy ride.. well whatever choice you make good luck to ya
We'll I dealt with the tranny probs on my TL, its not that bad, I mean it acts up, u drop off ur car at acura, get a loaner 2-3 days later u get ur car back, no money outta my pocket. Do the CL-S have a higher rate of tranny failures?
Old 09-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

It's the same issues we have over there as far as trannys man. I personally would get a 6spd and transfer most of your parts over to it that you can. The RJ kit looks really good depending on what color you get.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:41 PM
CLS is gone.. H22 TEG NOW

Originally Posted by CL Platano
It's the same issues we have over there as far as trannys man. I personally would get a 6spd and transfer most of your parts over to it that you can. The RJ kit looks really good depending on what color you get.

especailly black with RJ kit

is it really that easy to get a tranny replaced now days? all the dealership around dallas areas likes to play Fag games with ur trannys....
Old 09-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Remember only the RonJon & Versus are made for the CLS. The TL you have to cut, & mold for it to fit a CLS. That's a custom job. Also none of these come painted so you have to paint these as well.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Get a 6spd. You won't find a better bang for the buck out there. Decent HP, decent looks, great gas mileage... It's a great all around car.

While I'm tempted to buy another car every other week, I just can't justify buying what's out there now, 'cause nothing really can compete with the CLS 6spd overall. Some may be quicker, or more luxurious, or sportier, but there's always something that's missing. New Mustang w/ the V8 has more power, but guzzles gas, BMW 3 series is expensive, G35C is rwd, but the interior isn't as nice the CL, etc. etc. Everytime I try to rationalize buying a replacement for the 6spd, there's always something that the 6spd does better. Since my CL is paid for, it's going to be hard for me to justify getting back into car payments unless it's for a car that can fit the needs that my 6spd fills.

Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
Personally, I think the CL looks better w/o a kit or lip. The car has smooth, curvy edges and the kits throw it off IMHO.

But I'm still stock, so....
Old 09-01-2006, 09:51 PM
ASSEMBLED TO PERFECTION

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Get a 6spd. You won't find a better bang for the buck out there. Decent HP, decent looks, great gas mileage... It's a great all around car.

While I'm tempted to buy another car every other week, I just can't justify buying what's out there now, 'cause nothing really can compete with the CLS 6spd overall. Some may be quicker, or more luxurious, or sportier, but there's always something that's missing. New Mustang w/ the V8 has more power, but guzzles gas, BMW 3 series is expensive, G35C is rwd, but the interior isn't as nice the CL, etc. etc. Everytime I try to rationalize buying a replacement for the 6spd, there's always something that the 6spd does better. Since my CL is paid for, it's going to be hard for me to justify getting back into car payments unless it's for a car that can fit the needs that my 6spd fills.

But I'm still stock, so....

Im in the same boat, I was thinking about getting the g35 coupe 6spd, but damn man the interior is really bad, for an 03-04. CL and TL interior kills it, the gauges are so boring and so is the rest of the interior, but the exterior and hp is bad ass but then the gas mileages sucks balls. I think the CL-S 6spd might just be my next car, good hp, decent gas mileage, nice interior and exterior. I think this car could be a winner.

If anything else has anything to add about the CL-S good or bad, please due so.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Definitely get a 6 speed CL and don't look back.

BTW, if you're looking for a bad ass CL, search for Essarak Huot's car in the forum, it's quite possibly the nicest CL on the road (and in shows) Granted, he has some sponsors, but it's still the best looking CL i've seen and was featured in Modified Magazine as well.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:17 PM
3-piece FTW

Originally Posted by brianlin87
I think you're biased.

I personally think the OEM TL kit modified looks the best.
Black Acc - if you have any questions regarding the TL kit modifications onto ur CL just PM me. I have the kit on my car and have had it for over 3 years now.
I gotta admit I would go w/ the OEM TL Kit modified if I wouldn't tear that thing up here.

About the 4x4, maybe you're just looking in the wrong section.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Since you are coming from the TL, you know most of the common issues.

Lord Helmet sums 'em up pretty nicely here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...%2A+problem%2A
Old 09-02-2006, 08:56 AM
I'm a Vagiterian.

1. Auto failures are mostly all in the '01s.
2. Other than the auto tranny dying, gotta watch out for the rotor warpage. That's the worst.
3. An OEM kit was never made for teh CL's, or CL-S'. So there for, we have to out-source. I.E. RJ, Verses, TL Kit.
4. The 6speeds are just too much fun, not to drive! When I drive one, it's hard to get me out of one.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Are you really considering buying or not buying a CL based on what lip kits are available for it?
Old 09-02-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm a Vagiterian.

I hope not.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Im in the same boat, I was thinking about getting the g35 coupe 6spd, but damn man the interior is really bad, for an 03-04. CL and TL interior kills it, the gauges are so boring and so is the rest of the interior, but the exterior and hp is bad ass but then the gas mileages sucks balls. I think the CL-S 6spd might just be my next car, good hp, decent gas mileage, nice interior and exterior. I think this car could be a winner.

go for the g35... screw the interior... exterior makes up for it..
Old 09-04-2006, 12:51 AM
ASSEMBLED TO PERFECTION

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Are you really considering buying or not buying a CL based on what lip kits are available for it?
Thats not the only reason, I'm looking at EVERYTHING, and thats just one of the things.

And how is that rice?? sorry I like sitting low with some nice and simple style, not huge body kits, but just a simple lip kit.

P.S. I am into looks a little more then speed.

Originally Posted by big mike 13
go for the g35... screw the interior... exterior makes up for it..
LOL thats the exactly what I said, but its also 6 grand more then the CL-S 6spd. That's also holding me back.