Tire Rack's Knowledge...Long

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 06:16 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Rack's Knowledge...Long

It's rare that I speak against another person in an unfavorable light, but my tolerance just about gave up when I spoke to one of the sales rep at Tire Rack. Perhaps it may be my ignorance, but this person's statement regarding tire offset for the CL-S was rather disturbing to say the least.

I was interested in the 17 x 7 Integral for my CL-S. I emailed this rep asking for the offset. He said that the Integral only comes in a 45mm offset for the CL-S. I then proceeded to ask what wheels would he recommend that comes in a 17" size with a 48mm or greater offset and weighs less than 20 lbs. His reply was the CL-S will not perform well and the ride will be uncomfortable with a 48mm offset or higher. He also ask who was giving me this wrong information? WTF? Now we all know that to maintain the stock suspension geometry, joint stress issues, and rubbing issues when lowered, it's best to try to be as close to the stock offset as possible. Here is this guy who was initially so excited about selling a set of Integral with a 45mm offset for my CL-S, who then turned around saying that a 48mm or higher offset is the wrong set up for the CL-S.

I am giving him a chance to explain this one. Any one would like to comment on this one? If I am wrong, I would like to learn from this.
Old 08-23-2001, 11:39 AM
Drifting

You are correct in your understanding of the CL-S offset. The best we can hope for is that somehow the guy you talked to was looking up the wrong car. If you confirm that he was looking at the correct car please ask to talk to his manager, because he is dead ass wrong..
Old 08-23-2001, 02:12 PM
Wow only on my 2nd tranny

He's an idiot!

He should have steered you to the SSR rims that Tire Rack stocks. They are very light and strong with +48 offset. Ask Eric or Technique about these for the voice of personal experience

You are also correct that it is best to stay as close to the stock +55 offset as possible.
The only reason you might want to lessen the offset is to allow for wider rims. I don't think there is any reason to go less than +48 unless you are trying to achieve some look.

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: Wild Weasel ]
Old 08-23-2001, 03:30 PM
My other car is a 350Z

Frank, I had a similar frustrating experience with the Tirerack idiots.

I sent an email question to Tirerack asking for recommendations about wheels for the CL-S a couple months ago. I clearly stated that I was looking for a recommendation for a wheel lighter than the 25 lb stockers and was considering the SSR Integral, Competition, and GT1. I got what looked like a canned response indicating I should call their customer service for more information.

Not wanting to waste my time on the phone with them, I did nothing. Then, a month later I sent another email question, SPECIFICALLY asking for weight and offset information for the Integrals & GT1. Again I got a generic reply from the same idiot that DID NOT answer either of my questions. So I replied back asking very sarcastically if Tirerack has some kind of policy where they are not able to give detailed replies to specific questions or some other reason? The guy replies back "what year is your car?" I had told him that in each previous email.

So I think the quality of their service varies; maybe some of their CSRs are better than others, but they sure seem like they are all uncooperative and uninformed.
Old 08-23-2001, 03:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FDao – re Tire Rack quote: (snip..snip) “His reply was the CL-S will not perform well and the ride will be uncomfortable with a 48mm offset or higher”

Boy, someone at Tire Rack didn’t think too hard – the stock wheels are 17x7 with a +55 offset – they sure work well.

Try again – you found a loose cannon that doesn’t know how to say, “I don’t know, let me find out the right info…”

Comments:

Tire Rack has good and bad people (as with most places). I am currently having a problem with the SSR Competition's tossing the center cap after the brakes get the wheels very hot. Washington Tire and Wheel (who I bought the wheels from) ordered the wrong parts, and told me I was a nice guy and to f*ck-off -- I mention this since they got the wheels from Tire Rack via Wholesale and I am now dealing with Tire Rack and the SSR distributors for a fix (I have some other solutions up my sleeve, and I am the only one that seems to have this problem – so everyone says&#8230

I am now dealing with Tire Rack's customer service, and they made me pay for the first caps (even though there is something wrong with them). I found a different person, and they have been very pleasant and helpful, and supplied me with FREE replacements!

Moral -- some of the people there are clueless and some of the people there are very smart and helpful.

Some of the lousy stories I've gotten from Tire Rack:

1. You can only put the OEM (stock tires on)

2. Oh, if you change you can only use the Michelin Pilots

3. If you use the SSR Comps you will rub if you use a 235 (I'm running the Toyos in 235/45-17 on the 17x8 +48 offset and have NEVER rubbed.)

4..n -- endless stories about one tire or another being better than another only to have someone else tell me that was completely wrong.
Old 08-23-2001, 06:33 PM
Pro

Thanks guys for confirming my suspicion of this guy's statement. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and allow him to try to explain his way out of this one .

I'll keep you guys posted of what he'll say