Tint problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2001, 06:21 PM
TSX Bronco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tint problems

I got my car tinted last Thursday at a local shop (Tint King in Mississauga), and now I have a few small bubbles that have formed on the passenger side window. The bubbles are pretty noticeable so I brought the car in this morning to show the guy and he said that they're "spots" and that he can't do anything about it. He said he'd have to take off the tint and reapply it if I wanted it fixed. He also said it could have been caused by dust or scratches in my window and he wants me to pay him to take off the tint and reapply it.. I think it's total BS! For those that have tints, does this sound right?
Also, on the rear windshield, the tint doesn't look like it's adhering around the defroster lines too well. Does it take time for that to work itself out? When I'm driving at night I have cars behind me with their lights on, the light kind of gets dispersed along the defroster lines (looks distorted). Is this normal?

He told me to bring it back later when the guy that actually does the tinting is there, but I want to go there with some ammo. Sorry for all the questions, but this is the first time I've had my car tinted.

------------------
2001 Silver Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
35% tint all around
No mods yet
Old 04-05-2001, 06:24 PM
on bin laden

fucking canadiens jk

actually i'm interested in this since i'm thinking about getting a tint.

------------------
Black 2001 Type S
*Eibach Pro-Kit (Waiting to be installed)
*Xephyr Cold Air Intake
*PIAA 19169 Road Lamps
*Rockford 500a2 [FOR SALE]
*Pioneer 12" @ 400w (x2) [FOR SALE]
*77237-SOK-A02
---Still 2 rims not scratched---
Old 04-05-2001, 06:27 PM
Instructor

I worked in an autoshop that did tint for 2 years. What you need to do is let the car sit in the sun. WHen you tint water gets trapped under the tint. This water usally takes about 2 weeks to burn off. When you park park in a sunny place this should take care of it. If not then go back to the shop because even on old beaters that I tinted we did not have a issue with window scratches.

------------------
01 3.2 CLS Non-Navi
San Marino Red
Tinted 35% all the way
Winter Rubber mats
Piaa High Beam lights (Not worth it)
Polarg driving lights
Next week CAI (in san marino red)
Old 04-05-2001, 06:32 PM
Safety Car

Small bubbles will be there, but they should not be noticeable. Recommendation is to take a credit card and try to push the air out if you can the day after the tint job. However, if the tinter knows what he is doing, there should not be any bubbles at all. Also the film will pull in within few days so some bubbles will go away, but not all.
As far as the rear window, he should really spend some time back there pushing the air out, and using a heater to make sure it sticks to the window well. The tint will not stick too well on the top portion of the window where the black bubbles are, but it should be ok, not noticable unless really close by. There should not be any bubbles around the defroster lines.
If its a legitimate screw up on his part, which he will most likely deny, he should re do it without asking you to pay for it.
Hope this helps. Let us know.

------------------
---------------------
'01 Satin Silver w/Black, Navi_less, spoiler, mud guards, wind deflector.
Tint 15%, Polarqs M6s, Things to come: sub, air kit (if exists), maybe headers, CAI, and spring/sway combo.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1603513&a=12224080
Old 04-05-2001, 07:40 PM
Advanced

Sturm
You should have a lifetime warranty on the tint and install as most reputable shops do.
If there was a problem with scratches on your window, the tint detailer should of mentioned it to you before giving you a quote. 3 days in the sun is all you should need for proper setting of the tint.
Old 04-05-2001, 07:40 PM
Pro

When I got my TL tinted a few weeks ago, I noticed a few small bubbles on one of the side windows and the rear window. My tint-guy said that it was water trapped in the film, and would evaporate after a week or two and disappear. He told me it was best not to fuck with them until after a sufficient time had elapsed. I was skeptical, but I waited and it turns out he was right, they went away just like he said they would. I think this is also the case with the defroster lines because mine seem to have adhered better after a couple of weeks.

On the other hand, my tint-guy was willing to stand by his work, and if the bubbles didn't go away, he was willing to get rid of them or redo the job. Your guy should do the same. If I were you, I would get a commitment from the owner or manager that they will fix your problem if it doesn't go away on its own.
Old 04-05-2001, 08:00 PM
TSX Bronco

Thanks a lot for the help guys. I'm going to bring in my car tomorrow to have the tint guy look at it and go from there. I'm willing to wait a couple of weeks to see if the problems go away, but I'm going to see if they'll fix it if they don't. I'll post an updated after I talk to them.

------------------
2001 Silver Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
35% tint all around
10" Boston Acoustics ported sub
Rockford Fosgate Punch 120a2 amp
No mods yet
Old 04-05-2001, 08:30 PM
- daemonichris -

if u get air bubbles in your tint... then that shop is fuckin cheap... a good quality tint should not have those problems. about the rear defroster... i had the same thing happen to me, it's supposed to be totally normal until it fully dries in about 2 to 4 weeks (titanium tint).

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S w/ Navigation
Nighthawk Black/Ebony
Two 12'' Alpine Type-S Subs, Kenwood 600-watt Amp
Custom CAI
Cleared Headlights, everything Polarg