Timing Belt CL '01

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 06:50 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Belt CL '01

Hello. I am a long time forum member here (used to be very active back in 2001-2003 when this forum just started) and it's been about 8 years since i've been back. Great to see the site still alive. Anyways...

I've got a 2001 CL-S with 140,000 miles on it. I've done nothing to it other than oil changes and a few things here and there. Well, recently I started hearing a loud scraping sound coming from the timing belt area. For about a year or two now I have been having a water leak that would come and go from the engine bay. Orangish water all over the place inside the engine bay. I recently discovered that my water inlet (where the Tstat is) corroded and sprung a leak. Replaced that. Now I have this scraping noise. I think it's my water pump bearing and the fins of the pump might be rubbing agains the housing. Now, Here is a shocker and PLEASE no flaming me.

When my coolant issues started up back in the day, I was so damm busy with raising a family and working, that I simply added water to the radiator.
I am one who hates to be left stranded and if I need water in my radiator, then hell, I am going to find a water faucet and get it water ASAP.
After doing some searching recently on here, that was a stupid move. Well, I still run straight water and that's probably what caused the orange rust. I did buy the acura coolant and plan to replace it with that after this entire timing belt/water pump job is done.

Ok, no big deal right? Just replace the water pump and timing belt? The timing belt is the original belt, never been changed. Sure some other things way have gotten damaged or corroded, but I'll deal with that crap later if it becomes a problem.

Problem is I cannot find the DIY write up on how to change the timing belt on a '01 CL-S. I found one for the '05 but the pics look different from my '01 CL. Now, Before you flame me again, I spent some time searching but came up dry.

I plan to do my own detailed write up on this and post it if no one else has one, but I remember a write up on this from way back in the day. Maybe someone can reply with a link to that write up? I was planning on doing this today or tomorrow.

Thanks and I will certainly post my findings for anyone else to view.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/diy-timing-belt-695821/

Some good tips given to me by other members. https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/timing-belt-what-hardest-part-813641/

Last edited by RooEng; 06-01-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:53 PM
4th Gear

Ok. Update. I have spent all day getting everything done up to the crank pulley bolt removal. I was unable to remove the crank bolt with my electric impact gun which is 1/2". After doing some You Tube searching and "crank pully bolt removal" searching I found a nifty tool that slips right into your pulley, which keeps the pulley from spinning. With this tool I'll be able to use a breaker bar and 10' pipe for the handle to break the bolt free. I do have one question that you guys might know. Is the bolt reverse thread? Or is it standard removal?

I ordered my tool and it should be here next week. THANK GOD I HAVE A 2'nd Acura to use while my car takes a vacation. Hehe I also noticed I needed a new motor mount. Does anyone know where I could order that online?

Oh and I paid over $400 from the dealer for the following. I know I got ripped.

Water pump
timing belt
serpentine belt
camshaft seals x2
crank seal x1
Serpentine idler (tensioner pulley) (mine was making loud noises)

I realized I did not need the seals as I would need to remove my crankshaft TB pulley and my 2 Cam pulleys. GOD I WISHED I WOULD HAVE DID MY RESEARCH ON HERE B$ I WENT TO THE DEALER

Thanks to all who have helped!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 556 Likes on 446 Posts
You should just hit Caps Lock for the rage. That way, you'll actually type "B4" instead of "B$."

Lul, you definitely got ripped. If you need any other help with the change, just post. I have a full length 90 minute video DIY on it.

Hope Honda gets a timing chain on the next J series.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:07 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,381 Likes on 4,930 Posts
You could do the starter blip method to get the crank pulley bolt loose. And the bolt is normal thread.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:14 AM
4th Gear

Thanks. I tried to search the started blip method and came up dry. My internet connection is horrible and my computer tends to lock up freequently.

Do you have a quick link to any details on HOW to do the starter blip method?

Yeah, I was pretty upset last night, sorry bout the caps. Hehe
Old 06-02-2011, 08:15 AM
4th Gear

Hey Thanks. I would LOVE to see anything you have to offer. I am only just STARTING this project. The only thing keeping me from going crazy right now is the fact that I have a 2'nd car to get me around for now. Where could I get a hold of that video? Got a link?

Originally Posted by Karanx7
You should just hit Caps Lock for the rage. That way, you'll actually type "B4" instead of "B$."

Lul, you definitely got ripped. If you need any other help with the change, just post. I have a full length 90 minute video DIY on it.

Hope Honda gets a timing chain on the next J series.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,381 Likes on 4,930 Posts
The starter blip method is where you use the torque from the starter to break the bolt loose. Put your breaker bar on the bolt, have the end of the bar firmly against the ground (facing the of the car, in the 5 o'clock position if you are looking at the pass fender), and blip the starter once or twice. Youll hear a big crack and thats how you know the bolt broke loose. You can pull the fuel pump relay so you can be sure you want actually start the car.