Throttle consistently sticks for 1 second, wtf!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 02:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle consistently sticks for 1 second, wtf!

Hey guys, I just noticed something weird with my car today. When driving, the throttle seems to stick for about 1 second after you clutch in. It does it all the time, in any gear, even reverse.

When upshifting after lightly accelerating, the rpm's will stay up for about 1 second, and then slowly come down. When upshifting from a steady speed, the rpm's will increase up to 250rpm and then slowly come down once again.

I can even feel it when downshifting - the car maintains its speed for 1 second, then you can sort feel it bogging from the beginning of engine breaking.

I also noticed a weird noise when shutting the engine down, and a sort of vibration.

However, all of this doesn't happen if the transmission is not engaged while the car is stopped. With the car idling in neutral, or in a gear with the clutch on, I can rev it, and it will rev normally - rpm's go up while throttle is pressed, come back down normally when throttle is depressed.

What the hell is wrong with my car, this is making me sad, it's an 03 with only 19K miles on it. I'm off to call the dealer to have them check it.

Any ideas as to what the problem may be would be appreciated!

EDIT - I have an appointment to have it checked out this Thursday!
Old 05-10-2005, 02:50 PM
Suzuka Master

every 6-speed does the momentary throttle hold... it is suppose to assist in smoother shifts.

the wierd noise you are hearing?.. do you have an intake?

vibration?....

you guys have to be really specific about issues you are having... it is not easy at all trying to diagnosis a problem over the internet when someone says "put put" or "varoom varoom"....

take the car to the dealer.. hell with 19K on it is clearly under warranty.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:14 PM
Burning Brakes

My car is bone stock.

So the momentary throttle hold is absolutely normal? Do all 6speeds really do it? I don't know... I think I would have noticed it by now.

The weird noise is pretty much that of the engine shutting down, I guess the sound of 6 cylinders that just stop firing. I don't know how else to describe it. The noise is related to the vibration in some way IMO.

Maybe I'm just being a little anal and paranoid, I don't know, guess I'll find out on Thursday!

EDIT - I have no warranty because this is a US vehicle that I have imported to Canada. If it's a major problem, I am going to drive down to the US to get it fixed under warranty, because once the car is registered in Canada, I no longer have a warranty in the US, nor in Canada.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:33 PM
Masshole

All 2700 six speeds have the momentary throttle. Trust us.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 03 CL TypeS
EDIT - I have no warranty because this is a US vehicle that I have imported to Canada. If it's a major problem, I am going to drive down to the US to get it fixed under warranty, because once the car is registered in Canada, I no longer have a warranty in the US, nor in Canada.

that sucks ass.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mc_yanzo
All 2700 six speeds have the momentary throttle. Trust us.
Thanks, I feel 4327984732987432 times better now!
Old 05-10-2005, 04:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

i complained to the dealer regarding the sound after you shut off the engine. it apparantly was a rattle from the front grill....tightened it and it doesn't make a weird sound anymore.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not the throttle... its the heavy dual-mass flywheel. It holds energy (momentum) so that even when you let off the gas, it spins a little before slowing down due to internal engine friction.

The throttle issue is different. It occurs when you floor the car (can be felt in 1st or 2nd gear)... it hesitates for a half-second before you feel any sort of power. This can be corrected by adjusting the TPS.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by allmotor_2000
It's not the throttle... its the heavy dual-mass flywheel. It holds energy (momentum) so that even when you let off the gas, it spins a little before slowing down due to internal engine friction.
Gotcha!

Originally Posted by allmotor_2000
The throttle issue is different. It occurs when you floor the car (can be felt in 1st or 2nd gear)... it hesitates for a half-second before you feel any sort of power. This can be corrected by adjusting the TPS.
Well... I never noticed that kind of hesitation!

Originally Posted by gsrblack
i complained to the dealer regarding the sound after you shut off the engine. it apparantly was a rattle from the front grill....tightened it and it doesn't make a weird sound anymore
I think that's probably what it is for me too. I popped the hood with the engine running, went back in the car, shut the engine off, and the sound is gone. But the engine still kinda shakes as it shuts down - a lot more than my mom's 03 TL-P.

Do the Type-S engine shake more or something? Mine also surely has a rougher idle than my mom's 03 TL. Not that revs are high or fluctuate, but it kinda has a rumblish feeling to it - as if the car had a big cam or something. Am I paranoid or are your cars like that too?
Old 05-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
An engine shaking is a normal thing. That's the reason there are mounts in the engine bay.

My car does the same thing. I'll even try to take a video of it sometime.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:49 AM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The engine in the 6 speed is DEFINITELY rougher idling than any other V6 I have been in. My gf's maxima is so smooth you cant even tell its running.

The rpm delay is normal also, as is the vibration when turning off the engine.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
All normal.....shut up & drive your car
Old 05-11-2005, 10:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
All normal.....shut up & drive your car
I can't. For 1, I'm at work and bored... so I can't shut up. And 2, since I'm at work, I can't go drive it!

It's sitting here right outside my window... hmm I will go take a peek now!

BTW -> Thanks for resolving these concerns for me!