For those who have Tein SS

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003 | 10:49 PM
Racer

For those who have Tein SS

I am considering to purchase Tein SS for TLS, and I have few questions:

1) Is the default drop for front is -2.1" and -1.7" for rear?

2) Do you need camber kit?

3) With default drop, is there any chance of you bottoming out?

4) What is the stock spring rate and shock dampning rate (?), basically I want to know if it is possible to adjust SS to the stock feel

5) If you have gotten any job done at Garage Kwai in Chicago, how do you rate their work?

6) I was quoted $1340 for Tein SS, EDFC, and installation. I'm thinking this is good price, or is it not?

Thanks for any inputs
Old 12-23-2003 | 03:38 AM
teh Senior Instigator

From: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
EDFC will not fit the CL
Old 12-23-2003 | 08:25 AM
Pro

Originally posted by killercalf
I am considering to purchase Tein SS for TLS
Originally posted by CLpower
EDFC will not fit the CL
Old 12-23-2003 | 08:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by CLpower
EDFC will not fit the CL
He has a TL-S and the EDFC WILL fit the TL.

I can't help with the rest as I do not have any experience with the Teins... however, there are some on here who have them... hopefully they will chime in.
Old 12-23-2003 | 08:57 AM
The Creator

I have TEINS and I love them.

However there is no such thing as a DEFAULT DROP.

The drop will be whatever you set it to. Your need for a camber kit will be based on that drop...
Old 12-23-2003 | 09:15 AM
Racer

SOOPA:

So if I set it to highest setting (maximum clearance), what is the ride height? Is it the stock height? I assumed that by changing to Tein, you will automatically dropped about 2" in front compared to factory setup. So is it possible to drop about 1.5 to 2" in front from factory ride height? I am assuming if the drop is somewhere around 1.5", I don't have to have a camber kit?

Thanks
Old 12-23-2003 | 09:41 AM
Revving at 9K...

Most of the questions you seek are answered here.

Tein SS Spec and price
Old 12-23-2003 | 09:45 AM
The Creator

SOOPA:

So if I set it to highest setting (maximum clearance), what is the ride height? Is it the stock height? I assumed that by changing to Tein, you will automatically dropped about 2" in front compared to factory setup. So is it possible to drop about 1.5 to 2" in front from factory ride height? I am assuming if the drop is somewhere around 1.5", I don't have to have a camber kit?

Thanks

i believe you can actually ride HIGHER than stock with them. heh

just set them to what looks good...
Old 12-23-2003 | 10:03 AM
Pro

I just moved mine back to winter mode.. I have them about .5" from the highest they can go in the front, and I'm about 1 inch drop from stock (i.e. highest you can go in the front is .5" lower than stock)... In the rear you can go higher than stock.

Oh yeah, with a mild drop (1 inch or so) you shouldn't need a camber kit, just proper tire rotation.

You can adjust the ride feel to stock if you wish.

Get the TEINs, you'll love em
I have a TL by the way....
Old 12-23-2003 | 03:51 PM
Racer

Thanks for the replies. I just ordered Tein SS, I can't wait to get it on. It should be here by first week of Jan, I'm sure its going to be SWEET!

VTEChump:
Do you have EDFC unit? If so, where did you put it? In the center console or in the sunglass holder? I'm thinking about putting it in sunglass holder.

Thanks
Old 12-23-2003 | 04:30 PM
Liquid Ice

I have the Tein SS Coilovers with EDFC ... I have my EDFC mounted in the center console.

You don't necessarily need the camber kit for your car, but if you plan on changing the ride height constantly (I make mine higher in the winter and lower in the usmmer), then its nice to have the camber adjustment so you're not riding the tires to hell if you lower it more.

With the EDFC unit, and placing the Tein SS Coilovers to the highest dampening rate (softest ride), the car feels nearly as good as stock. Its still a sportier ride, but it isn't going to kill your ass or anything

I place it about halfway (8) when I want to drive a little more aggressive and about 1/4 of the way (4 or so) when I wanna have some fun ... I have gotten the coilovers to bottom out when I was running the EDFC at 0 and hit a small pothole (meaning the coilovers basically hit the stoppers in the engine bay).

Right now I have the car at the "default" which is really just what the manual recommends (I think its 30cm from the bottom of the threads to the top of the adjustment pieces) ... and I don't bottom out at all on normal speedbumps.. some of the really high up ones I have to take at an angle ... and in "summer mode", I have the car at about maybe a 2" drop or so and I don't bottom out. Doing all of this from memory so my numbers might be a bit off ... but you can get a pretty decent drop (pretty much 0 wheel gap), and not bottom out...

I don't have a bodykit though, so that might make a difference for you, if you have one.
Old 12-23-2003 | 04:44 PM
Revving at 9K...

By the way, did you guys see that Tein is now developing the upper pillow mount for the Tein SS?
Old 12-23-2003 | 05:03 PM
Sweet as Gold

Mr Hyde has a cl-s w/ the EDFC installed...it just won't fit on the front...which are easy to adjust anyways...He has it hooked up to the rear struts so he doesn't have to remove the rear seats to adjust his ride quality.
Old 12-23-2003 | 08:06 PM
Racer

When I was at Garage Kwai this afternoon, they had a retail price for SS-P, it was $1400 or something like that. What is the difference between SS-P and SS? SS-P just comes with upper pillow mount or is there any difference with coilover itself?
Old 12-23-2003 | 08:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Ant7701
Mr Hyde has a cl-s w/ the EDFC installed...it just won't fit on the front...which are easy to adjust anyways...He has it hooked up to the rear struts so he doesn't have to remove the rear seats to adjust his ride quality.
Actually this is my ride, so I have it at all 4 corners.

As far as your questions go
1) Soopa answered already, you can set it higher than stock to about a 3 inch drop I believe. Mine is set to slightly lower than a Comptech drop which is what I had previously.

2) if you slam the car, you will probably need one, but with my drop, I dont. I have -1.0 camber on one wheel only, so with proper rotations, I have been fine. The bottom line is you need an alignment, and to check what the camber is at the drop that you want.

3) If you nail a big enough pothole I guess so

4) You can get pretty close to stock feel. Much closer than with any springs, and with the EDFC that is as easy as pressing one button for any of the 3 memory settings.

5) I live in NYC; sorry

6) Thats a great price. The best deals I saw were $850 for the Teins, and $350 for the EDFC. Hes gonna install the Teins AND EDFC for only $140?????!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats a great deal. The EDFC unit was a pain to run all those wires and hide them all. I removed my rear seats, entire rear deck, center console, and ran stuff through the firewall, behind the dash, tapped into the ignition harness, etc, etc

Mine is mounted on the left hand side of the the Glovebox, in easy reach. I dont think you'd have enough wire slack to put it in the Sunglass Holder or even if you have the depth for it in there.
Old 12-23-2003 | 08:41 PM
Sweet as Gold

WOW...I'm stupid. I could'ove sworn you had a CL-S. Like I woulda bet money on it...strange
Old 12-23-2003 | 08:42 PM
Racer

Mr. Hyde:

So was the wires were long enough to place the EDFC unit in the glovebox? The only reason I wanted to put it in the sunglass holder was to make it look like stock as possible. I'm assuming your car settled in 2 weeks or so, did you get alignment right after you installed or waited till it settled?

By the way I really like your ride!
Old 12-23-2003 | 09:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Mr. Hyde:

So was the wires were long enough to place the EDFC unit in the glovebox? The only reason I wanted to put it in the sunglass holder was to make it look like stock as possible. I'm assuming your car settled in 2 weeks or so, did you get alignment right after you installed or waited till it settled?

By the way I really like your ride!
Thanx, yeah I had enough to run it to the glovebox

There are three plugs behind the EDFC, one for power, and the other two are for the front and rear motors. While you should have enough slack on the front motor wires, and the power wire, I dont think you have enough slack on the rear wires to reach.

I ran my wires directly under the seat, down the center of the car, snaked it under the carpet, and then under the center console to the glove box, and had maybe 3 feet at the absolute most left over. I dont think thats enough to reach up to the sunglass holder.

Maybe if you ran the rear units wiring through the roofliner you could make it work, but I still dont think the unit would be able to rotate through the sunglass holder, its too long. Also each of the 3 harnesses that plugs into it uses several wires that are within another black plastic sheath. I think it wold be really hard to get that t be pliable enough to rotate and close and open in the sunglass holder. Its a little stiff as is on my glove box.

With my glovebox closed, you cant even tell I have the EDFC.

I tried the EDFC out in several spots, and I decided against the center console because I didnt think access was quick or easy enough, or that I could read the display well enough to put it there. I wanted to be able to adjust it while driving, so the Glovebox seemed the best place for me.

I got the alignment a few days after the install.
Old 12-23-2003 | 09:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Oh yeah, Ive had the Teins for well over a year now, but I just installed the EDFC unit last week, so the install is fresh in my mind. If you need any help, let me know.
Old 12-23-2003 | 09:41 PM
Racer

Thanks for the fast reply, if I come across any problems I'll be knocking on your door.

Thanks
Old 12-25-2003 | 11:08 PM
Racer

I have a CL-S with the TEIN SS system. I love them. Never bottomed out and I never had the camber adjusted or an alignment. My only complaint about the system is I wish they made one specificly for our cars so the spring rate would be better for the weight of our vehicles. I find the front end floats a little. As for the handling and the adjustabilty its awesome. Mine was done at garage kwai.
Old 12-26-2003 | 09:40 AM
Racer

Louie11:

So you never had the camber adjusted or an alignment? What is your drop set to? I thought spring on Tein SS was bit more stiffer than the stock spring, is that right? So could you explain what do you mean by "front end floats a little" in bit more detail.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2003 | 07:55 AM
Racer

With stock rims I could not get 2 fingers between the wheel and the fenders edge. By looking at the rims you could tell that the camber is more agressive, but left it that way. When i took the wheels off for winter there was no visual difference in tread, just super slight. When I go over a smooth dip in the road it seems that the front would bounce a couple of times before settling. over a sharp or abrupt bump it's nice and stiff.