thinkin of givin up the cl-s :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2001, 05:20 AM
Rx Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thinkin of givin up the cl-s :(

WEll, its tru, have been thingkin it over, and since its been a year, its time to reflect on the purchase that i have made. I love my car very much and wouldnt really change anything that is in it. it owuld have been nice to have some more bass in it but, well, its just a great all aound car and am very satisfied with it.
I am thinkin about trading it in though and might possible be thinkion of gettin the Ford Expedition XLT Eddie bauwer. ITs such a nioce truck and i was wondering what everyone would think and if anyone has had or drivin one before that could tell me if it would be a smart move. I would also consider gettin the MDx, but that wouldnt be till my lease ended on the cl-s, cause i would be waiting fot the MDX- type S.
So what do u think, please no FLAMES, this is real, casue i can get the truck for less then half what i am payin monthly on my cl-s. like 299 and no money down for a used eddie bauwer.

------------------
The SILVER STREAKER CL-S no navi, spoiler, tint all around, moonroof visor,
indaglo emblom, ACURA.CL.com stickers, eurolights fog lights, bel 950 radar detector, and 2 chamber flowmaster exaust
hyperwhie highbeams and corner lights, and eyeball fogs. 620+ posts makes me still a freak on the old Cl page.
my cl-s http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...725&a=11443786
Old 05-03-2001, 05:23 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by URIRx98:
WEll, its tru, have been thingkin it over, and since its been a year, its time to reflect on the purchase that i have made. I love my car very much and wouldnt really change anything that is in it. it owuld have been nice to have some more bass in it but, well, its just a great all aound car and am very satisfied with it.
I am thinkin about trading it in though and might possible be thinkion of gettin the Ford Expedition XLT Eddie bauwer. ITs such a nioce truck and i was wondering what everyone would think and if anyone has had or drivin one before that could tell me if it would be a smart move. I would also consider gettin the MDx, but that wouldnt be till my lease ended on the cl-s, cause i would be waiting fot the MDX- type S.
So what do u think, please no FLAMES, this is real, casue i can get the truck for less then half what i am payin monthly on my cl-s. like 299 and no money down for a used eddie bauwer.

</font>
I have seen some real nice decked out Expeditions with nice rims. I mean there ok and nice but you have to be ready to fight that vechile around town. Its a big ride.

------------------
Mustang Killa
Old 05-03-2001, 05:25 AM
White Lightning

I was gonna trade in my car for an Expedition. But the problem was that I couldnt get it because of no resale value for our cars. They wanted to get my car for like 22,500 and I was like See ya. But the expedition is HUGE. Good to go out with friends and stuff and nice ride also. Very comfy driver's seat because you can move around as much as you want.

Good Luck

------------------
NightHawk Black CL-S
Black Interior
Clear Headlights
Nokyo Halogen Bulb Artic White
AEM Cold Air Induction
Now Working to Get Springs
Old 05-03-2001, 05:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, get what you want. Life is too short. Although, you might want to get something with good gas mileage. Who knows if the gas prices will just get really bad during the "peak" summer driving months, or stay there until things cool down.

BTW -- My mom's Jeep Grand Cherokee gets incredibly bad mileage, but it is very fast (BIG ENGINE). The lease rates are "subsidized" by the manufacturer (unlike our CLS) so, you can get a really good lease deal on a lot of these vehicles.

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 9 coats of Zaino magic
Old 05-03-2001, 05:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
My sis has an Eddie Bauer Expedition....I drive it sometimes when they bring it down on there visits. It is a great suv, I really like it. I won't really be able to give you an honest comparison because this is the only truck that I have driven (I have riden in others but thats not the same). With a little bit of a gust, the exp. moves around a lot. It truly is a big truck..very tall when just left on stock tires and suspension. Like Eric said though, get what you want! Go test drive it unless you already have done so...

Oh, so far, they have had a few problems with the exp, but a lot less than I was expecting. All in all..I would love to own one of those myself.

------------------
Tw1112
CL 3.0 '98 - Cleared bumper, Hiper/Piaa/Polarg bulbs all around, PIAA 1700x fogs, AEM CAI, V1, and Mugen Pedals.
Old 05-03-2001, 07:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

I really won't go out and buy 1 for myself.Cause my uncle own a 99 Expedition.I drove once and this thing never go the way u want to go.And sit in 2,3row.man those make me feel like i have sea-sick LOL.It is way too soft,Just don't get a ride after u had a big meal.BMW X5 or ML 320-430 is great SUV.So take a look at them

------------------
2000 3.2 TL Firepepper Red w/o Nav
Comptech Springs
Stock spoiler
Custom Grill
Bosch +4 Platinum spark plugs
25% Tint/Mug guards
Acura-TL.com sticker at front windshield
Old 05-03-2001, 10:10 AM
FvCK KNvCKLE

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by URIRx98:
</font>
Is there any chance that gas mileage with relation to fuel prices will factor in?

------------------
- As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

01 Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
Dunlop SP5000 215/50/17
Navigation-Spoiler-Muds-Wheel locks-35% Tint-PIAA wedges-V1 and remote
Old 05-03-2001, 10:18 AM
Burning Brakes

My sister-in-law had an expedition. The vehicle is huge, you had to look down at street signs. You do need the running bars to help get in. Actual daily gas milage was barely 10. Had problems parking it everywhere, great height visibility but poor close-to-vehicle visibility. Also small inside, my 95 camry had more width in the back seats (tested with 2 car seats and an adult). My minivan has much more usable cargo room. The 3rd row seat is a real pain to use. Harsh ride, you knew you were in a truck. Its also rwd when not in 4wd mode. After about 2 years the thing squeezed/rattled/buzzed like a 20 year old pickup. It also did not hold its value very well. Otherwise its a cool (but not practical) truck!

You may want to consider the new toyota highlander, or an older landcruiser, or a MDX.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver CL Type S.
No Navi, PIAA 19169, Comptech Sways, Century Childseat, Mudguards.

[This message has been edited by fast_daddy_car (edited 05-03-2001).]
Old 05-03-2001, 10:28 AM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
don't blame you for wanting to trade in your Cl-s. I like my car alot but I don't LOVE it. But are you sure you want to trade it in to get an american car? I would maybe get a 4runner or something. But the explorer does seem like there is a big resale value on it. They don't seem to lose their value to much around my area. But I come from an area were people think trucks are mercedes.

------------------
I think we are all driving the Civic Si's big brother.
Old 05-03-2001, 11:02 AM
MP Video Extraordinaire

I used to drive an F150 Lariat, which is very comparable to the Expedition EB. The Expedition is an F150 with the back end finished. That thing was a Cowboy Cadillac! True though, it was a beast to fight our skinny highway lanes in. Take your eyes off the road for one second and you are swapping paint with the guy in the next lane. Mine was very reliable. I had one problem with one of the ignition packs going bad for no particular reason, but the engine sort of retimes itself and was still drivable to the shop. Expect 12 MPG max.

------------------
01 CL-S San Marino Red/Black, K&N drop in, no nav, rear wing, otherwise stock thus far, has an appetite for Bavarian cars.
Old 05-03-2001, 11:15 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Unless you need to haul a boat, or carry a small family, I would say the MDX. It's our car in truck for with a beautiful interior and that Navi screen is soo nice. You can still park it around town and you don't feel intimidated by parking decks and small spots.

Just my .02

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake
Founding Member of the NO SCRATCHED RIMS CLUB

01'Acura Integra GSR
Old 05-03-2001, 11:25 AM
Instructor

I don't like SUV's to begin with for reasons that I won't bore anyone with. BUT, a friend of mine has an Expedition, and as trucks go, even a FORD, it is nice. He has it decked out with all the fixins, even the entertainment center option with the VCR and video screen. Myself and his family drove down to VA last year and I wish I didn't have to drive. The passengers he was hauling got to see Phantom Menance on video.

------------------
2001 SAAB 9-3SE HOT

I couldn't think of anything clever to say.
Old 05-03-2001, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Four years ago I bought my wife a 97' Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 5.4L, loaded. It's now got 72000 miles, with hardly a problem. The truck gets 13.5mpg, city - highway - trail, doesn't matter. It's very well put together, less rattles and noises than my 01' Cl-S, actually.

We just took it on a 2500 mile spring break vacation a few weeks back. The truck was a great highway vehicle. I actually had cruise on 85 - 90 most of the trip, 13.5 mpg. 2 adults and 3 kids with much room to spare.

Before the trip I put 4 Michelin Pilot's ( 265/70/17's ) and new brakes. Truck felt like new.

The coolest thing about this vehicle is that its really a TRUCK. I've owned SUV' since 86', most were toys compared to this Ford. During the break job the tech said that the rotors have 2 more cuts in them, got to love the truck parts.

I've driven up a very steep road with 14+ inches of heavy wet snow, the truck didn't even notice the snow.

Before I get flamed, I've got 3 kids and a large Akita ( 135lbs. ). I wanted my family in a vehicle that would allow them to walk away from any crash they might encounter. And I could afford to buy the largest vehicles to keep them safe. Yes I am selfish, sorry.

We're now deciding between an MDX and the new Explorer Eddie Bauer.

------------------
01' CL-S, Silver, Spoiler, V1 w/remote, Xephyr CAI
Old 05-03-2001, 12:34 PM
Pro

dude, look in to the land crusier, acura mdx, bmw x5..... those are my choses over the epxd.

------------------
Current ride: 91 Dodge Colt.... no p/w, no p/l, no AC

Preiovus ride: 2001 CL-S, Black, dropped 2 inches, stock
Old 05-03-2001, 01:41 PM
Advanced

I have the use of an expedition for the next year and a half. My dad has a 99 eddie bauer. He is working in Europe until the middle of 02' and is storing his truck in my garage. I drive it about once a week. It does ride nice, but honestly, the quality of the entire vehicle is not that great. The truck has tan leather, and already looks warn after only 1 1/2 years and 20k miles. And, it does not even get driven a lot. The leather is very poor quality. You think our cars have a lot of vynal. There is more vynal than leather. I would opt for the cloth interior if I got one for myself. And the cheap fake leather wrapped steering wheel attracts dirt like a magnet. The worst thing about it, is the gas mileage. I drove it for a solid week once, I went 300 miles on a tank. I think it holds 25 gallons. It cost me almost 40 bucks to fill it up with regular. 300 miles on 40 bucks is pretty steep. I like driving it every once in a while, but I am always happy to get back into my acura. Quality wise, the expo cannot hold the jock of my cl. IMO.
Old 05-03-2001, 02:07 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My dad has a 2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer, and the thing is nice I guess. But, it's so slow and gets horrible gas mileage. I mean it's cool for a long road trip, or if you have a big family that's about it. One other thing everyone has one. Give me my CL-S anyday.

------------------
Drive Fast Live Fast!
Old 05-03-2001, 03:34 PM
Rx Master

thanks guys for the info, i cant believe all the responces from u guys and especially all the peopel that actualy have one of there own or in the family. i really like the truck alot and myabe eve the linc navigator casue its the same truck but nicer. oh well, maybe ill just drive one and see if i like it and then we'll see, i still like the MDX too, i may just wait till next year and get that instead.
wg

------------------
The SILVER STREAKER CL-S no navi, spoiler, tint all around, moonroof visor,
indaglo emblom, ACURA.CL.com stickers, eurolights fog lights, bel 950 radar detector, and 2 chamber flowmaster exaust
hyperwhie highbeams and corner lights, and eyeball fogs. 620+ posts makes me still a freak on the old Cl page.
my cl-s http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...725&a=11443786
Old 05-03-2001, 04:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Pick up a used Navigator... Those things rock! They have power too!

-Ash
Old 05-03-2001, 04:31 PM
Banned

All depends what you want...right!?! If you want an SUV....take your pick ...Tahoes..Expeditions...whatever...all the same more or less...it's not like your going to be racing them...they're all big and comfortable. All have bad gas mileage, but that's the trade-off.

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers (hehehe...I got something for you drchang!!)
Old 05-03-2001, 04:35 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
SUV PAYMENT, PLUS YOUR H U G E GASOLINE BILL = Your current CLS payment !!

KEEP THE CLS !

------------------
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI, PIAA bulbs, Tinted windows, JL Sub-woofer/Fosgate 250 watt amp, otherwise pure stock
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl, PIAA bulbs, tinted windows, Fosgate 500 watt amp, Eclipes 6X9's,JL Sub-woofer, otherwise PURE stock !
Old 05-03-2001, 04:51 PM
Intermediate

I would go for the MDX. The MDX is such a better riding SUV then the Expedition. My sister owns an Expedition and I've had the chance to drive it many times and I hate it. It is incredibly slugish and dangerous which takes the fun out of driving. The MDX is awesome. It is more car like then the Expedition, but you still have a better interior, motor and over-all quality. Good luck in your decision making.
Old 05-03-2001, 05:54 PM
Banned

True..but what kind of SUV is he talking about...if he wanted a station wagon(EPA classification...don't get mad me)...he would have probably got one, but he is looking at huge beasts of burden...Expeds and Tahoes are in their own class when it comes to SUVs..
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Speed Racer:
I would go for the MDX. The MDX is such a better riding SUV then the Expedition. My sister owns an Expedition and I've had the chance to drive it many times and I hate it. It is incredibly slugish and dangerous which takes the fun out of driving. The MDX is awesome. It is more car like then the Expedition, but you still have a better interior, motor and over-all quality. Good luck in your decision making. </font>

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers (hehehe...I got something for you drchang!!)
Old 05-03-2001, 10:05 PM
Intermediate

my dad just bought the 01 exp eddie bauer w/ entertainment package. Its nice, but on the neg side you are gonna be paying a lot for gas, on the pos side, its really comfortable. ALso the resale value is really bad for fords.
Old 05-04-2001, 12:00 AM
RWD convert

My dad has a 98 Eddie Bauer Expedition. Very nice SUV if I must say. Wouldn't trade my TL for it but hey it's still a great truck.=)

------------------
Y2K Satin Silver/Ebony 3.2TL
AEM Short Ram intake | Magnaflow quad exhaust | Ground Control coilovers | BOSCH platinum+4 plugs | Blitz coolant pressure riser | Factory underbody kit and Wing | Mesh grill | Body color door handles | Lighting:Polarg M12 sidemarkers/Opti-Blue Xenon HighBeams/Eurolite 168 Xenonbulbs/Hiper Strobes | 20%/35% Llumar Platinum tint | Räzo Shifter and Alloy pedals | 2 Rockford 10" XLC subs pushed by Boss Audio CLR60 amp | Escort Passport 7500
Old 05-04-2001, 03:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

noooooo! j/k...

First question, why do you want such a big SUV? Do you have alot of passengers that travel with you? ...

I would recommend finding a Land Rover Discovery Series II...my mom had the Series I, but it was somewhat unreliable (Ford is also known for that..). She still liked it though, so she got a '00 Series II...they made quite a few improvements over the previous one, and unlike most of the other "SUV's" Land Rover is considered a true SUV by C/D, R/T as well as others, and is known for their off-roading capabilities, etc...you also get two sunroofs, Harmon Kardon system (VERY nice, unlike our Blose system), alot of other stuff...try to find a slightly used Discovery Series II or you could go all out and find a '97-'98 Range Rover 4.6HSE...comes with an adjustable ride height suspension...put some 20"s and a phat system in there and you're all set

Also look into the Honda Passport (Isuzu Rodeo ) You could probably get one fully loaded for $30k max out the door...

Toyota seems like they have quite a few SUV selections, even though I'm Honda-biased you should still look into those...Tundra V8 also...

Nissan Pathfinder, GMC Yukon Denali, Cadillac ESCALADE...

If you must go Ford for some reason, Lincoln Navigators are nice (probably cost around the same as the Eddie Bauer Edition, maybe a little more), if you want a truck then the F-150 Harley-Davidson Edition (isn't it an upgraded SVT Lightning?) should do it, looks great even in stock form...and you'll SMOKE everyone on this board..heh

Patrick

------------------
2001 Black/Parchment Acura 3.2CL Type-S w/ Navi & spoiler
Current Mods: AEM CAI (red), Comptech headers & sway bars, Toyo Proxes T1-S 235/45ZR17 tires, 15% tint, PIAA 19169's, Infinity Perfect 12" subwoofer, Precision Power PC2600 amplifier, Monster Cable
Soon: PS2 and Navi/DVD encoder, Ground Control coilover setup (if they make them)
Old 05-04-2001, 04:01 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 632 Likes on 281 Posts
hey man...I had an expedition eddie bauer for the whole winter this winter while my CL was parked...

it is a nice truck, but it's got a shoddy interior design and consruction...it guzzles gas, like you have no idea...at least twice as much as the CL-S...

the brakes suck...two exits from 60MPH hard on the brakes will cause significant fade...the thing accelerates to ~ 45MPH pretty quickly but then it drops off...

it IS very GOOD in the snow tho...I never had a problem pulling snowmobiles on a trailer through 2 feet of fresh snow...not ever...

I'd say make sure you try all the others before you choose...the expedition is not any safer than another, so there's no REAL reason other than money to rule any one in particular out until you try it...

------------------
Astroboy out...

2001 Acura CL Type S: Comptech: Headers, filter, sways, springs, koni shocks, Volk Racing SE37's in 18", goodridge braided brake lines, AEM CAI (blue), APEXi V-AFC, full kicker system, 13" Brembo's on the way with slotted discs for the rear
1996 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo: H&R Springs and sways, Bilstein shocks, ported and polished, crillo rods, new valvetrain
1995 VW Golf: 1999 VR6 Swap, H&R Coil Overs, neuspeed strut bars, neuspeed sway bars, 2.5" Stainless TT exhaust w/ Borla, 13" AP Racing big brakes