Test drove a CL-S6 this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 11:31 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,134 Likes on 1,094 Posts
Test drove a CL-S6 this weekend...

...in Tucson. It was a NBP w/parchment, 57k miles, $14,900.

It felt really weird driving my car with a manual. The sales guy noticed I drove up in a CL so he was wondering why I was asking to test drive his. I said I love everything about my car but the automatic. He nodded yes and off we went. It was really nice, I have to admit. I didn't get to really get on it because we were in city traffic, but I could tell it would pull as much as my auto with all my mods. The shift linkage was golden just like every Honda I've ever driven and the clutch engagement was buttery smooth. I don't get the complaints from certain 6 speed owners about it being a difficult manual car to drive. It was effortless for me and I haven't driven stick in a year. I didn't really like the parchment interior though , well, not as much as I would've like.

After the test drive I told the sales guy I liked it but the condition was a little worse than what I'm looking for, which was totally true. It had dings, dents and scratches, which were 10x more noticeable with NBP than my SSM. The interior was nasty dirty and had stains every where, along with deep black scratches in the platic on the door panels and the center console. It also smelled like it was sitting in an auction yard for months. So needless to say I felt like I would've been taking a step backward trading in my auto for this particular 6 speed.

But after the test drive I pretty much decided it's time to make a move. I'm at 89k miles and my auto makes me ponder getting a lucky rabbits foot to hang from my keys so I'm not left stranded in 100 degree heat in Arizona. Here's my dillema. That's the only 6 speed CL in my area and I'm just not comfortable buying a car off of Autotrader or eBay without seeing it in person first.

So........ I'm making an appointment to test drive an 03 Honda Accord Coupe this week. It's red w/ tan leather, 6 speed, 34k miles, navigation and is Honda certified. Asking price is $15,900.

So what do you guys think? Is it going to be like taking two steps backward with "down-grading" to an Accord? Do you think the -20 HP is going to be really noticeable? Anyone on here have any experience with owning both cars? Should I just wait for a 6 speed CL to pop up? I truly like the CL-S lines better than the Accord, all but for the front. I like the grill/headlights a little better on the Accord.

I feel like I'm rambling. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
My 6-speed has 91k miles on it. Blue w/ebony interior. Excellent condition. Absolutely zero trouble and I'd sell it for $13,500. No reason why the car wouldn't run 150k miles trouble free.

Plus it has a few mods.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When i started my search, somewhere along the lines i ended up deciding in favor of a v-6 accord coupe 6mt...

I spent nearly 6 months looking for one that i would have been satisfied with...color, condition, miles and price were the factors...

I couldnt find one in those 6 months, mainly because the 6mt coupes sell like hot cakes... it literally dead end after dead end when going to see them...

I did test drive a bunch of them and really did like the way they felt...but i was looking for a better than avg deal and anything better than avg was already sold.

It also didnt feel right paying so much for a honda just because they keep their resale value so well --- thats when i decided id much rather spend an extra grand and buy the CL-S 6mt.

Im glad i chose the acura over the honda for a bunch of reasons that im sure you can already guess --- the name is a little more prestigeous even if it is a "glorified" honda. The standard options were nicer etc... and to top it off i see honda accord coupes everyday...i can be honest in saying that i almost never see a CL or a CLS on the road... and the CL looks a bit classier in my opinion.

The honda will have better resale value in the end but its not like the acura has "horrible" resale value
Old 08-19-2007, 11:50 PM
Advance

I'd have to agree with you on the accords front end looking better than a 2nd gen CL. But I loved the front end on my 02 TL-S more than both of them.

But overall, CL/TL > Accord
Old 08-19-2007, 11:56 PM
SSM Accord V6 6 Spd

Ooh, test driving a 6 speed Accord? I haven't driven a CL-6, but I know for sure you will love the Accord. Good power, great interior, and you can always swap the LSD from a TL if you wanted it.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:57 PM
Racer

If you think about it, you'd only be gaining 15 stock hp, and a 6 speed transmission. If you like the CL more, i'd wait for a CL-S 6spd to show up that you like, swoop it up, and put any mods you have if they fit the 6 spd too.(maybe they dont, i dont know). Go from there, . The 2003 is not a bad car either, but i'd hold out for a nice CL.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:18 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Originally Posted by mrsteve
My 6-speed has 91k miles on it. Blue w/ebony interior. Excellent condition. Absolutely zero trouble and I'd sell it for $13,500. No reason why the car wouldn't run 150k miles trouble free.

Plus it has a few mods.
Thanks for the info Steve, but I'm looking for less mileage. I drive 25-30k miles a year and I can't keep buying and selling my cars after a year or two of driving. I'm definintely looking for a car I can keep for four to five years minimum. That's why 50k miles is my max right now.

I'm probably going to test drive the Accord tomorrow if they get back to me. Sent an email but who knows, I'm sure there's tons of people ready to jump on this car, so keeping my fingers crossed it's still available. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:35 AM
CL-Pride

Same here, I "test sit" in a 6speed yesterday, played with the shift stick which I don't have. Now i in love with the 6 speed CLS. I really want to ask to trade my CL-P for the CL-S. The shop is selling the 6spd for $12,800, however its a salvage title and its silver.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:48 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Here's something really interesting I found on vtec.net regarding the 240hp vs. 260 hp difference in the Accord vs. CL-S:

The Accord went second and performed like we thought it would after hammering the throttle for a couple of days. No shy, retiring commuter engine, the J30A4 is a beast. It belted out 217 hp and 195 lbs-ft of torque at the wheels. And this engine is only rated at 240 hp/212 lbs-ft at the flywheel! Of course, we did use premium gas to extract the most possible power and the J30A4 rewarded us with a surplus. By comparison, last year's CL-S 6-spd pumped out 218 hp and 201 lbs-ft (also on a Dynojet) from its J32A2 engine. We felt that the J32A2 was pretty accurately rated at 260 hp/232 lbs-ft at the flywheel. If this is the case, that would make the Accord a 260 hp/225-230 lbs-ft engine. Not bad for 3 liters, SOHC and the "economy" form of VTEC.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:24 AM
SOLD

Wow super trooper that is very interesting considering the Acord coupe 6MT has the exact same transmission as the CLs6. You would think if that were the case, Accord coupes would be faster than CLs6 since they put down basically the same power and weigh like 200 pounds less. This would also render the J32 nearly useless and they could have just used the J30. I raced an accord coupe 6MT when I had my stock 04 TL, 30 hp difference AT vs. skinnier MT we were literally dead even on the highway from like 65-90 IIRC and then shut down. Go with the CL - HIDs, better looks IMO, better interior luxuriousness, better soundsystem, I don't know if the A C has memory seats, I can bet the CLs has better handling. More prestige and exclusivity with the Cls. I don't think the A C has seats that auto move forward like ours do, etc blah blah that's my take.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:36 AM
Racer

Well i guess i'd ask myself which car i liked better inside and out(being their pretty damn close performance wise), i still prefer the CL styling, but i cant say that i would mind driving that accord. That 2003 accord is nice, and a 6-speed would be much better than our 5-auto obviously. If you see a 03 accord in great condition, with that 6 speed, low miles, color you like etc, might be nice to ditch the glass tranny always hanging over your head. Hey, it's a honda after all, you should be able to get a lot of good years if you pick one up w/ low miles.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:56 AM
3.2L Vtec

this is the major gripe buying a used car. Since you live near California you could check the ones out here. I bought mine a year ago for 17000 with an extended warranty and it was acura certified.

The accord is well jus an accord.... Two many out there and with the CL you don't see that many. I think you should just stick with trying to find a CL because of what everyone mentioned and plus if you ever have to bring the car back to the dealership you can get a loaner. I don't think Honda does that.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:00 AM
3.2L Vtec

Jus a couple I saw
Old 08-20-2007, 08:32 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169
Here's something really interesting I found on vtec.net regarding the 240hp vs. 260 hp difference in the Accord vs. CL-S:

The Accord went second and performed like we thought it would after hammering the throttle for a couple of days. No shy, retiring commuter engine, the J30A4 is a beast. It belted out 217 hp and 195 lbs-ft of torque at the wheels. And this engine is only rated at 240 hp/212 lbs-ft at the flywheel! Of course, we did use premium gas to extract the most possible power and the J30A4 rewarded us with a surplus. By comparison, last year's CL-S 6-spd pumped out 218 hp and 201 lbs-ft (also on a Dynojet) from its J32A2 engine. We felt that the J32A2 was pretty accurately rated at 260 hp/232 lbs-ft at the flywheel. If this is the case, that would make the Accord a 260 hp/225-230 lbs-ft engine. Not bad for 3 liters, SOHC and the "economy" form of VTEC.
Yea they are very similiar power when Premium gas is used. But premium gas is not recommended for the Accord is it?..not like the CL's? I know most people with an accord probably don't use premium. My friend with one always put crappy gas in his probably why... I always pulled slightly on him.

Correct me if I'm wrong on what they recommend.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow, there's only one 6spd listed within 200 miles of tucson (and that's the one)...

There's 10 within 200 miles of me in MA...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=&keywordsfyc=

Looks like you're going to have to expand your search area...
Old 08-20-2007, 11:15 AM
In the Mid-South meow

I know, it's crazy how few there are out here. There was a SMR w/ebony interior 6 speed on eBay a few weeks back before I decided it's been long enough living in fear of my tranny. Unfortunately I didn't decide to go for it until now.

As far as the performance difference, yes, the Accord recommends 87 while the CL "requires" premium. I would probably put in at least 89 but most likely I'd stick with premium since I'm not that effected by rising gas prices. I've been dealing with premium gas since my first car so no biggie there.

My Negative Nancy co-worker gave me a dose of reality just now though when he said "oh, and Accord, the most stolen car in the US". Really is making me think now. Sigh.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:56 AM
B A N N E D

The rareness of a CL-S6 vs. a manual Accord V6 is like night and day. Not to mention how much better looking and respected a modded CL-S is compared to a modded Accord. Definitely, definitely, definitely hold out the CL-S 6MT.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:57 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I prefer the CLS interior over any Accord interior. The new 08 Accord coupe will be out next month? I've seen pix, not impressed, the new Civic looks better.
I test drove an Accord coupe 2003 6speed when they came out.
same drive feel though (both very good). I prefer less common cars too so I love my CLs, had 2 Legend coupes before this.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
I would hunt for the elusive CLS 6MT.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Pro

Yea Accords are like buttholes...everybody has got them.
With it half way through 07 though...finding a 03 6mt Cl-S that is not torn up is going to be hard (of course this is not counting all the people on here that like their cars and take care of them )

Good luck with the search!
Old 08-20-2007, 12:07 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
I'd go'fer the Accord. Its performance is near equal, looks are near equal and the interior is mo better, IMO.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:12 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Interior is better on the Accord? I musta missed something or maybe I like my CLs cause I added brushed aluminum to the dash.

I don't think the Accord has HID lights either.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:18 PM
sabbas

Originally Posted by ironsurfer129
Same here, I "test sit" in a 6speed yesterday, played with the shift stick which I don't have. Now i in love with the 6 speed CLS. I really want to ask to trade my CL-P for the CL-S. The shop is selling the 6spd for $12,800, however its a salvage title and its silver.

i wonder if its the same silver CL-s 6MT that i drove. it was in Jersey last September and October. it had a bent frame but somehow the exterior appears flawless. but upon negotiating on the car they mentioned it was a salvage title with bent frame. i quickly left that dealer but saw the car on the lot for at least 6 months till this past March and then it disapeared. anyhow i got a black CL-P. it would be interesting the see that car being tossed around the states until a sucker buys it. get a car-facts report and see why its Salvage title

...just my two cents
Old 08-20-2007, 01:22 PM
OG 3.x^7 rawr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
yeah the CL-S MT is by far the best car I have owned. I recently went over to a buddies house and his friend in a modded 91NSX gave me some props on the CLS IT truly is a rare car!
Old 08-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
Interior is better on the Accord? I musta missed something or maybe I like my CLs cause I added brushed aluminum to the dash.

I don't think the Accord has HID lights either.
yuk..i would have kept the stock look.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:52 PM
In the Mid-South meow

I don't know, I kind of like the Accord interior better, at least the beige leather. This is the non-navi interior though. The navi looks nicer.

I honestly wouldn't even consider a CL-S with the parchment just from the test drive. I don't know what it is but the different tones of beige just bother me. I like the black dash/steering wheel. It helps break it up.

Anyway, the appointment is set. Tonight at 6 PM I'm going to check it out. We'll see. If I'm not as impressed as with the way the CL-S6 drove then I'll just hold out for a CL. I might have to consider going out of state to find one. I have options. Cali, N. Mexico, Colorado, Nevada.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:59 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I think you should hold out for a CLS 6MT because as many have said Accord's are a dime a dozen. If you search in California there are many options for a 6mt. Personally if I was looking for one I'd get that ABP with 67k in on it in CA and negotiate it down.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:45 PM
In the Mid-South meow

You know, maybe it's just because I own a CL and look for them all the time, but I notice more CLs than I do Accord coupes around town. Maybe it's just the area I work in? Either way, there's a NBP w/ebony 6 speed in the BM that I might be interested in, but it's on the E. Coast, so we'll see how the test drive goes tonight. The thing I think I'l miss the most would be the HIDs.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169
You know, maybe it's just because I own a CL and look for them all the time, but I notice more CLs than I do Accord coupes around town. Maybe it's just the area I work in? Either way, there's a NBP w/ebony 6 speed in the BM that I might be interested in, but it's on the E. Coast, so we'll see how the test drive goes tonight. The thing I think I'l miss the most would be the HIDs.
Believe me, you'll miss the LSD too.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:41 PM
Pro

and like someone mentioned before the little things make the cl better...for instance the HID's.
I will never own another car without HID's
Old 08-21-2007, 12:43 AM
P.

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Funny you posted this!! I also test drove a CLS 6 this weekend, and I also alredy have a01CLS. I somewhat got on the 6 speed a little, but I would have to say that it would be a bitch driving the car around in city traffic. The reason i was considering trading in was it was a 03 6 with navi, but there was a catch they were askin 17,400 or somethin,but I really cant say I really thought it was all it was cracked up to be other than the auto?? Just my Anyway the car had 2k more miles than mine, but turns out i would of had alot of negative equity goin into the next loan so no car. I really felt stupid I even tried to get the CL because I didnt know the payoff amount, ohh well the car wasnt half as of in good condition as my CL though. Anway I am am gonna go ahead and pay my 01 CLS off an keep the bitch for a project car is how im lookin at it now. If i were you lookin for a lower milage car I would go with another Acura in my opinion. If you got a Honda, yea their nice,but I see it as a downgrade. Beside the point though can anyone tell me what is different on the 03 CLS than the previous yrs? Just wanderin!! I see no road lamps, and the emblem on the steering wheel, and the rear view mirrors are tinited a little, and onstar was a option, anything else??
Old 08-21-2007, 02:27 AM
SOLD

ST I hear you about the parchment interior, it is a bit funky compared to say my 04 parch TL with the black dash. The Ebony in the CL is much better than the parchment though, with the aluminum and color coordination.

VIPCLS - 03 6MT has body colored grille and door handles, different tail lights, different wheels, no "road lamps", and LSD (no not acid). I think I covered everything...
Old 08-21-2007, 04:34 AM
4drs just wanna have fun!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Accord looks better IMO then the CLS, just has a more rounded look with the right combination of angles, plus its seems to have more exterior potential.

I chose both since I wanted a 4 door, but it seems that the extra 200cc of torque is worth it, too bad the weight of the CLS offsets this fact. LSD is a big plus in corners and turns, definitely understeers less.

Interior is great in both cars, layout seems a bit more modern in the Accord but the CLS interior still kicks ass IMO.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:39 AM
B A N N E D

I think all of us know how similar the CL-S and Accord V6 are, it really comes down to personal preference. Would you rather be driving an Acura or Honda, etc. In all honesty after driving both I think the CL takes the cake, but that's just my personal opinion. In terms of performance the Accord might outhandle the CL stock for stock, but definitely not in a straight line. I have raced my buddy's Accord V6 6-speed a bunch of times and always came out on top. Even the few times he had a better launch than me I quickly pulled ahead.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:45 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Well, here's what I woke up to this morning sitting under my covered parking...

I test drove the car and pretty much knew instantly that I would be just as happy with an Accord 6mt as a CL-S6, so after the obligatory walking out of the dealership with the sales guys card, and him calling me back in for "one more try" all the numbers worked out. They gave me as much for my CL trading in as I think I'd get selling privately, and the Accord was priced just right, so there it is.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice. Acurazine was a god-sent in my times of needing info or help with anything on my CL. I appreciate everything from everyone, and I'll definitely still be lurking around Acurazine.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:19 AM
B8 S4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats man. Just fill it up with premium, and you're set. Nice looking car
Old 08-21-2007, 11:31 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Originally Posted by scuc
Congrats man. Just fill it up with premium, and you're set. Nice looking car
Thanks a lot. Yeah, definitely going to be running premium in it. I'm impressed so far, so anything extra would be that much better. I'll probably keep the modifications to just an AEM V2 intake to hear the engine a bit more, but other than that this one is going to remain mostly stock. I've done i/e/h on every car in the past and I usually regret everything after the intake, especially when it comes down to selling the car.

Now, the only thing left is what to name her.......
Old 08-21-2007, 11:38 AM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Congrats on your car, Another one bites the dust. It's not my cup of tea but to each their own.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:42 AM
says "hello to my TLX".

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
hey. congrats on the new purchase. you bought the car you had set yourself on.

any mods planned in the near future? get a HID kit.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:09 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Thanks Luis. Yeah, I do miss the HIDs, maybe sometime in the future I'll upgrade. Other than that definitely an intake in the next month or two. This time around I'm going to chill and not go crazy modding it right away and then regret not waiting and getting the right parts, i.e. my past issues with my wheels having too low an offset, the hissing XS headers, the Tein H-Techs that hung the ass too low and kept the front too high. This time I'll just research the hell out of parts I'm considering and take it slow and steady. This car has to last me 4 or 5 years vs. the past three cars that I owned just over 1 or 2 years each.

Quick Reply: Test drove a CL-S6 this weekend...