Talked to the guy at Raceconcepts.net about rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 01:43 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talked to the guy at Raceconcepts.net about rotors

Well, that was a very interesting conversation. The guy doesn't sound too with it.

He didn't know that the type S rotors were 11.8" in diameter!

So, bioyuki, it's no wonder you got the wrong sized rotors. I told him your situation so I'm sure you guys will be talking soon.

It's unclear whether or not he can do this work at all. They do use Brembo blanks, however, he said they are only up to OEM specs and not any better than the factory rotors. If that's the case, then that's pretty sad.

He also said that if I provided the blanks he would slot/drill and coat the rotors for 100$. So, at this point, this is a losing proposition as the same can be obtained from Tim for 247$ for front rotors.

So, anyways, I'm quite disappointed. I'm going to call him back in a couple of days and see if he made any progress on this. This especially stinks since Tim is in the process of having 4 piston calipers made for us.

I wonder how much 4 piston calipers will run?
Old 02-05-2002, 01:51 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

ANd it looks like OEM rotors are 90$ each for fronts so this would definately be a more expensive route to go. Although, it is unclear whether this drilling process is better than that used by ACP.
Old 02-05-2002, 02:07 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

So, tha saga continues...

I called Brembo and they said they do not have blanks in that size but they are working on getting something together to have out in the next month or so.

So, they told me to call Bob at Comptech. It turns out that even though they are not listed on the Comptech website, he carries both front and rear cross drilled OEM sized rotors for our car. The fronts are gold in color and run 103$ each. The rears are not coated at all and run 115$ each.

He said he is going to try and get those on the website ASAP.

Well, it looks at this point I might just wait for the Brembos since I'm sure there quality will be far superior, but it looks like they might run aroun 600$ for the front pair.
Old 02-05-2002, 02:45 PM
Banned

Talk to KVR....they have a new 4 piston for the CRV and legend, which use the same front pads as we do but ours are modified..I emailed them, but they havent responded.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:12 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sure Brembo OEM rotors are farrrr better then our stock rotors even if they are only up to "OEM" specs.

That doesnt mean what OEM spec they are up to...

Honda vs. BMW for instance.... Honda rotors suck ass... BMW rotors are great. Both are OEM.
Old 02-05-2002, 04:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by moomaster_99
Talk to KVR....they have a new 4 piston for the CRV and legend, which use the same front pads as we do but ours are modified..I emailed them, but they havent responded.
The ACP rotors are done by KVR. I emailed them and they said they have no rotors for the TL or CL.
Old 02-05-2002, 04:15 PM
Banned

The Comptech ones are made by Autospecialty. At 206 for the front pair I might do it. God I just wish the Raceconcept ones would fit. 125 a pair for Brembo blanks, zinc plating, cross drilling and slotting can't be beat.
Old 02-05-2002, 04:39 PM
Retired Post Whore

Originally posted by bioyuki
The Comptech ones are made by Autospecialty. At 206 for the front pair I might do it. God I just wish the Raceconcept ones would fit. 125 a pair for Brembo blanks, zinc plating, cross drilling and slotting can't be beat.
You should of just gave me the 125 dollars. You would of made me happy! :P Just save up for the Brembos.
Old 02-05-2002, 04:48 PM
Banned

Bioyuki, the comptech ones are Brembos.
Old 02-05-2002, 04:53 PM
Banned

Bioyuki, the comptech ones are Brembos.
Neg.

The rotors we are selling are made by Autospecialty. Comptech is not making them, nor do we do anything to them. Basically, Autospecialty contracts someone to build the rotor blank, then Autospecialty crossdrills (or slots) them and get them cad plated.

Mike Bibinoff
General Manager
Comptech USA
www.comptechusa.com
mbibinoff@comptechusa.com
phone 916-933-1080
Old 02-05-2002, 05:07 PM
Banned

Neg.

The rotors we are selling are made by Autospecialty. Comptech is not making them, nor do we do anything to them. Basically, Autospecialty contracts someone to build the rotor blank, then Autospecialty crossdrills (or slots) them and get them cad plated.

Mike Bibinoff
General Manager
Comptech USA
www.comptechusa.com
mbibinoff@comptechusa.com
phone 916-933-1080
Did you tell them that you were talking about the Big Brake kit from Brembo? I don't think so....Autospecialty doesnt make an app for our car yet. Brembo rotors are brembo rotors...autospecialty are quality as well. And KVR does make the rotors for the TL/CL at least they did for ACP before.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:21 PM
Banned

Did you tell them that you were talking about the Big Brake kit from Brembo? I don't think so....Autospecialty doesnt make an app for our car yet. Brembo rotors are brembo rotors...autospecialty are quality as well. And KVR does make the rotors for the TL/CL at least they did for ACP before.
On Comptech's website there are rotors and the BBK. I asked about the rotors.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:23 PM
Banned

Oh yeah, Autospecialty has an app for us but they're out of stock. For some reason when I ask about our rotors from different places (BrakeCo, Autospecialty etc) they all say they are out of stock indefintatley. The guy at Brakeco said that everybody has lost their supplier and is looking for a new one. Dunno if its true or not.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:23 PM
Banned

BTW, Our part number from autospecialty is JBR-923R, JBR-923L.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:24 PM
Banned

Oh yeah, Autospecialty has an app for us but they're out of stock. For some reason when I ask about our rotors from different places (BrakeCo, Autospecialty etc) they all say they are out of stock indefintatley. The guy at Brakeco said that everybody has lost their supplier and is looking for a new one. Dunno if its true or not.
They have the app for us now? Is that a recent thing? Hmmm....oh well..then that means Im gonna be getting my rotors cheap again.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:26 PM
Banned

My only problem is I can't wait. Science project is due March 15th. I need rotors within the next few weeks and most people are saying they won't have stock for a few months.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:31 PM
Retired Post Whore

My only problem is I can't wait. Science project is due March 15th. I need rotors within the next few weeks and most people are saying they won't have stock for a few months.
WHy dont you buy a reg rotor and send them out to Jersey and I will do a nice project with my drilling machine!
Old 02-05-2002, 05:36 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Infamuz

WHy dont you buy a reg rotor and send them out to Jersey and I will do a nice project with my drilling machine!
I'm probably going to end up buying the Comptech ones. Just spend some more money. Oh btw, you can drill rotors, it'll put to much stress on them. They have to be machined.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:34 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, it seems as though KVR is the place where much of the drilling gets done for a lot of different companies.

Bob at Comptech gave me a different answer for who makes their front rotors--I can't remember the company he said, but I will post it tomorrow when I get to work where it is written down. When I called that company they were actually a few bucks more than Comptech. Bob said they make their own rear rotors.

Can't we get a straight answer from anyone?

Bioyuki--are you sure that ACPs are drilled by KVR? If so, that's probably a good thing. Who makes the ACP rotors?

The good thing about ACP is that you can get them in silver. Everywhere else is just gold plated.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by JZ
Yeah, it seems as though KVR is the place where much of the drilling gets done for a lot of different companies.

Bob at Comptech gave me a different answer for who makes their front rotors--I can't remember the company he said, but I will post it tomorrow when I get to work where it is written down. When I called that company they were actually a few bucks more than Comptech. Bob said they make their own rear rotors.

Can't we get a straight answer from anyone?

Bioyuki--are you sure that ACPs are drilled by KVR? If so, that's probably a good thing. Who makes the ACP rotors?

The good thing about ACP is that you can get them in silver. Everywhere else is just gold plated.
Yeah, I emailed Tim and he said KVR. I dunno what KVR uses for its blanks though.
Old 02-06-2002, 08:53 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Bob at Comptech said his front rotors were made by Powerstop.
Old 02-06-2002, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by JZ
Bob at Comptech said his front rotors were made by Powerstop.
Which is a division of Autospecialty.
Old 02-06-2002, 02:34 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Which is a division of Autospecialty.
...and are marketed by a place called Phil's.

Damn, we really traced that one back to its roots--we should be investigating Enron!