Synthetic Oil Change Over or Stay With Conventional

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 04:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by EricL
Could you clarify your statement (regarding the break-in/synthetic)? (I presonally am into overkill filter changing...)

I looked over the data, and wondered what the deductive process and evidence was used to form this conclusion. I have some thoughts, but without knowing the whole picture, it's hard to comment or process the information further.

For example, there seems to be a very small sampling, and without knowing how the driver "broke-in" the car, there could be a lot of room for "interpretation?'

TIA

Member RussMaxManiac (aka Silver Bullet) has followed my recommendation about the break-in process by using a dino oil until the 10 to 12k point to see how long it takes for the J32s to go to normal wear levels. He is my test case for how long a CL takes to break-in. He is at 9k+ and is expected to change the oil again in the coming days/weeks.

We'll know more at that point, but I suspect that the wear levels in the next analysis will be within the average wear levels.

My contention is that going to a synthetic early (i.e. before 3k) in combination with going extended drain intervals doesn't allows everything to "seat" properly and continues allow excess bearing wear for a longer period of time as well as never allowing a natural "flush" of the wear metals from break-in through more frequent oil changes early on in a motor's life.

I'm not necessarily disputing that doing several 3k changes with a synthetic after the initial factory wouldn't yield a similar break-in result, but I would suspect a synthetic would prolong the presence of excess wear metals simply by a synthetics properties of not allowing for as much wear compared to a conventional dino.

If anyone with a brand new car wants to see how a synthetic allows for wear in such fashion, then I'll be happy to help.

In looking at the spreadsheet results, when members eCo and fender changed to synthetic after their first oil change in each of their 3 vehicles, you can see that their wear levels are a bit higher than member Bluto's wear levels. Bluto's vehicle did not go to synthetic until 11k or so. In each instance, relatively long drain intervals (6 to 9k) were utilized.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:53 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by russianDude
What's considered to be "long-drain interval" for synthetic oil that could cause excessive tear to Honda engines? 5K, 6K ???
Generally, 5 or 6k intervals on synthetic are perfectly fine.

It's when you push it up to the 10k area on a single oil filter that you start running into excessive wear, especially if you are using a lower quality filter such as the Fram-spec Honda OEM US/Canada filters.

Excessive wear does not immediately imply your engine is toast or it has a mechanical problem. It only implies that you are creating a more acidic environment in future oil changes which will cause subsequent oils and their additive packages not to last as long. That, over time, can cause sludge buildup, and then you have a mess on your hands. It isn't something that occurs overnight.
Old 10-15-2002, 05:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by russianDude
It's OK for oil to have high concentration of some polutants as long as its USEABLE. We are not trying to establish record for most miles on the same engine.
All I want is 200K miles out of this engine. Is this to much to ask when using Mobil 1 synthetic with Mobil 1 filter/or Pure One and changing oil every 6-7K miles with 50/50 city/highway driving?
I am pretty sure I won't have any oil related problems with my engine. Transmission will blow more likely
My only goal is to find the happy oil /filter change rate. I also sell my cars around the 200k mark. If I have a high concentration of Iron and it gets higher I will probably sell before 200k.
Old 10-15-2002, 05:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
Originally posted by fender4
My only goal is to find the happy oil /filter change rate. I also sell my cars around the 200k mark. If I have a high concentration of Iron and it gets higher I will probably sell before 200k.
Yeah, all I care is 200K miles out of this engine.... Lets say being super carefull (doing 3K changes using synthetic oil) will make your engine go up to 300K miles instead 200K miles.... I dont care
Transmission is what you need to warry about, Honda engines are allright