Suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 12:31 PM
something witty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension questions

actually it is just one. since putting on my eibach springs, the inevitable has happened. my stock shocks are garbage. regardless of the manufacturer how difficult is the install? I cant stand paying people to work on my car, but the only things i had installed were the springs (and the pulley, but that issue is a non starter right now). Is this gonna be a pain in the ass? and yes i have access to a lift. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:32 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

If you did springs shocks should be about the same deal.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:14 PM
something witty

Re: Suspension questions

Originally posted by want_updohg?
the only things i had installed were the springs
Old 05-17-2004, 07:41 PM
something witty

Bumpy bump.

and what kind of shocks should i get? im not looking into make my ride any harsher, so yellows and blues are out of the question. I tried searching and found only...yellows and blues. need some help here as i wan to order them tonite.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:58 PM
CL Newbie No More

Another opiton is the Tokico Illumina adjustable shock. The Blues are supposed to be equivalent to a "3" setting on the Illuminas. The Illuminas are adjustable from "1" (softest) to "5" (stiffest).

However, to change the settings of the rear shocks after they've been installed you have to remove the rear seats.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:01 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Check my sig for an install DIY. It's relatively simple. I completed mine in 2hours with a buddy with me. I've done it in the past, so it was real easy for me. For most novices, you shouldn't be more than 4-6 hours. A lift is useless for this job IMHO, b/c you still have to climb into your car during the job. It's good for removing all four wheels at the same time though.

I have bilstein shocks. I'm probably the ONLY A-CL member with them, I have about 2.5K on them and love the ride, no harshness at all.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:49 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally posted by want_updohg?
Bumpy bump.

and what kind of shocks should i get? im not looking into make my ride any harsher, so yellows and blues are out of the question. I tried searching and found only...yellows and blues. need some help here as i wan to order them tonite.
Bilstiens have a smooth ride but great control. You can get them from shox.com
Old 05-17-2004, 09:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you post up some more info?

Originally posted by NiteQwill
Check my sig for an install DIY. It's relatively simple. I completed mine in 2hours with a buddy with me. I've done it in the past, so it was real easy for me. For most novices, you shouldn't be more than 4-6 hours. A lift is useless for this job IMHO, b/c you still have to climb into your car during the job. It's good for removing all four wheels at the same time though.

I have bilstein shocks. I'm probably the ONLY A-CL member with them, I have about 2.5K on them and love the ride, no harshness at all.
Do you have the vendor (link would be nice), price, and part #s for them. I had been calling them over a two-year period, but finally stopped calling.

What springs are you currently running (stock, Comptech, etc, etc)?

I loved them on my Bimmer. The ride rocked, but still had great control with some 2" lowering springs. They also gave me a lifetime warranty – good for as long as I owned the car.

Any other comments on damping vs. the stock/OEM dampers?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-17-2004, 10:04 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Re: Can you post up some more info?

Originally posted by EricL
Do you have the vendor (link would be nice), price, and part #s for them. I had been calling them over a two-year period, but finally stopped calling.

What springs are you currently running (stock, Comptech, etc, etc)?

I loved them on my Bimmer. The ride rocked, but still had great control with some 2" lowering springs. They also gave me a lifetime warranty – good for as long as I owned the car.

Any other comments on damping vs. the stock/OEM dampers?

Thanks in advance!
EricL -- go to the bottom 1/3 of this thread. He said they were designed for the 98-02 Accord V6. I commented that I thought you commented a while ago that these were not valved properly for the weight of the CL-S -- of course I could be wrong.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes, the weight might be an issue. Don't know for sure...

Originally posted by Slimey
EricL -- go to the bottom 1/3 of this thread. He said they were designed for the 98-02 Accord V6. I commented that I thought you commented a while ago that these were not valved properly for the weight of the CL-S -- of course I could be wrong.
Thanks!

I'm not sure. It would be best to have them designed for the extra weight in the front we're carrying.

However, when I talked with Bilstein, I think they said they were going to come out with a late model Accord V6 application, and that they might just use the same shock, with another part number for the CLS. I'm fuzzy on this, so please take my comment with a grain of salt ... the conversations were some time ago, and I had to call multiple times...

Perhaps it's time to call Bilstein again? But, any comments that related to function would be nice. For example: if they will warranty the shocks for the CLS, that would be a plus *and* hopefully someone would be able to comment on weather they are under-damped, critically damped, or over-damped.

The Bilstein replacements I had for the Bimmer actually had a softer ride over "small stuff", but were MUCH firmer that the OEM BOGE’s when they needed to be. At the time, the non-gas Konis were just too brutal on anything but smooth surfaces.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:54 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

I looked on shox.com but they don't list part #s for the shocks. I'm assuming the Accord and CL are the same unit. I was glad I took a look though because I found out they have the Neuspeed strut bar for $89.