Supercharger Installation in the Tri-state Area

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 07:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by mrsteve
EDIT: And isn't it Comptech that warranties the S/C not Acura??? Acura will warranty the install I'm sure.
What I meant to convey was that since the dealership installed it they will warrenty the rest of my engine in regards to something like what happened at PAA. My dealership can not deny me service if the problem was caused by the blower, they sure can and would expect me to pay my full way if the problem seemed to related to the use of nitrous or the extensive electric system. They like the setup and have left the car in the showroom floor on a few days, thank god with no sticker. But if one of my aftermarket parts caused a failure on my vehicle, I would expect to pay them to fix it back up. But yes if something comes back to the comptech blower then they would cover the cost of the repairs. But if my Acura dealership doesn't install the part, including me bringing them one, then they won't install it becuase if it wasn't bought through them with the company they have formed a contract with. But this is the rub, every dealership is different and you got to find the ones that do business the way you agree with. I can not stand my local dealership.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:34 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: For the record

Originally posted by Jens H.
Indeed we had an engine failure with a supercharger .The installation went bad when a very small machining error in one of the mounts that supports the supercharger caused the front cylinder head camshaft to be locked in place .Upon starting the engine the cam drive gear for the front cylinder head sheared the alignment key which in turn caused a set of bent valves .The resultant damage required the cylinder head to be removed and the bent valves to be replaced .Also the camshaft was damaged and various smaller components along with it .

The engine was repaired at Comptechs expense as it was a faulty part that caused the engine to fail .To date the engine performs as designed as does the supercharger .My thanks go out here to Comptech for their immediate response and support while all of this was going on .It was a pretty distressing day when this all happened to say the least .In the end the customer was well taken care off .It is unfortuanate that this event occurred however in the end all worked out well for everyone concerned .

Jens
These guys are fucking real. They actualy came on here and told the story of a mishap, and gave us all the details. It takes dedication. Sometimes its not the prduct that sells itself, its the service for that product.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally posted by MtBikR
What I meant to convey was that since the dealership installed it they will warrenty the rest of my engine in regards to something like what happened at PAA. My dealership can not deny me service if the problem was caused by the blower, they sure can and would expect me to pay my full way if the problem seemed to related to the use of nitrous or the extensive electric system. They like the setup and have left the car in the showroom floor on a few days, thank god with no sticker. But if one of my aftermarket parts caused a failure on my vehicle, I would expect to pay them to fix it back up. But yes if something comes back to the comptech blower then they would cover the cost of the repairs. But if my Acura dealership doesn't install the part, including me bringing them one, then they won't install it becuase if it wasn't bought through them with the company they have formed a contract with. But this is the rub, every dealership is different and you got to find the ones that do business the way you agree with. I can not stand my local dealership.
So your dealer would not install Comptech parts on your car at the dealership if you did not buy them directly from the dealership? That sucks.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by mrsteve
So your dealer would not install Comptech parts on your car at the dealership if you did not buy them directly from the dealership? That sucks.
That is right and it does suck. Thanks for the empathy, but it just goes to show that these dealerships are independently operated and that if you take your time to search through the different dealerships, you're going to find out who does what and the little differences. Some are more into customer service, some won't even touch modified cars. Just find one that's to your liking.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:17 PM
Sweet as Gold

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
chap...throw me a call asap....preferably before you call my dealer. I think u have my number but if not then 516-946-3636
Old 04-26-2004, 04:34 PM
Team Owner

That is right and it does suck. Thanks for the empathy, but it just goes to show that these dealerships are independently operated and that if you take your time to search through the different dealerships, you're going to find out who does what and the little differences. Some are more into customer service, some won't even touch modified cars. Just find one that's to your liking.
Ouch that is horrible. My dealer will even install used Comptech parts.

Also if you can find a cheaper than the Comptech retail price online they will match it. They're inital price is even lower than Comptech's. I think they sell headers for around $1090 plus install.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:44 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tony i gave Mike a call at like 4 this afternoon.

Its late now but i'll give ya a buzz tomorrow.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:08 PM
Beware of leakage

Originally posted by darrinb
scrib, w/ mods or no mods the tranny is gonna go ne day or another, i see no reason why acura wouldnt warranty it
Not necessarily Darrin,
Like Scrib said:
There are plenty of people on this borad that are running just fine on their first transmission, with no problems.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Wow that installation story has to be right up there with comptach toasting that engine while developing the charger. The craziest CL stories that I have heard of. Jens, could you explain a little further how the support brackets abberation prevented the cam shaft from moving? I follow everything from there but haven't been able to understand exactly where the machining would have caused this. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:05 PM
Suzuka Master

I follow everything from there but haven't been able to understand exactly where the machining would have caused this. Thanks.
I take it is the C/T machined ERG plate where you replace the EGR cover on the side of the head.

CHAP, if you want you can flat bed your car down with Essarack's when he ships it to me to put his charger and misc parts on his car...
Old 04-28-2004, 02:24 PM
Banned

Smity you fast!!!!!.... LOL can't wait to install it

I spoke with Peter again today @ PAA, he said no more CT SC'er installs so Smitty you are my last resort.......

I will call you 2marow
Old 04-28-2004, 02:27 PM
Suzuka Master

I love the feeling I get after installing a badass part... besides your car is going to be a completly new beast after I am done installing Headers, B-pipe, Supercharger & rotora big brake kit.

You might crap your pants after am I done with it.... that would priceless....
Old 04-28-2004, 05:24 PM
Race Director

Don't tempt me Smitty.

Essarak do you have the 5A? How you gonna handle the warranty issue?
Old 04-28-2004, 05:42 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Chaptorial
Don't tempt me Smitty.

Chap,

I think he's serious. Smitty get's off on that kinda shit.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Don't tempt me Smitty.

tempt....tempt ...

He got a 6 speed M/T..... Warranty?... hell, Modaddict, Scalbert, etc. did their own installs and I followed in their footsteps.. same will happen when I intercool the car.... You have to have a local dealership that is modification freindly... My dealer clearly stated that "If you bring the car smoking, beat to death, and almost on fire to me, I not going to warranty anything."
"I basically can not warranty it due to the fact that it is like a free pass to go beat the living shit out of the car and you think I will fix it for free"

In a nut shell.... If you plan on beating the shit out of the car and think your dealer is going to fix your car for free... YOUR NUTZ.

You wanna play.... you got to pay... nothing in life is guarenteed.

Not rocket science here Chap, I had the same doubts that you are having now... it is a true test to tell if your really ready for a supercharger and the responsabilities that come with it... I was nervous installing mine, for fear of screwing up.. that is why it took me 15 hours to install it...I wanted it to be perfect.

If you got a problem there are enough of us around to help walk you through it..... The ball is in your court... If you want me to help you out, I will extent a hand and help you.... Just bring it to me like Essarack is probably going to do......

And trust me I am not charging no where near $1000.00 to install...
Old 04-28-2004, 06:00 PM
Race Director

Oh OK he has the M/T. Must be nice. In the warranty aspect at least.

Believe me Smitty i would have no problem having you install the S/C, there’s no doubt of that. And i also appreciate the offer.

The only problem i'm running into now is that most Acura dealerships around here won't warranty the sucker after its installed. Not a big deal for u 6MT guys but for us with the 5AT it makes a world of difference.

The local Acura dealer that installs them only does it if you buy the S/C through them. Now that’s like $1300 bucks more then what i can get it for. And that’s just for the unit itself. But not only that even if i do go through them the drivetrain and engine warranty are STILL voided. (i think Scrib gave them a call j/k )

Your damn right about the pay to play part.

So i'm still talking to some dealers about the warranty so we'll see. As of now its the ONLY thing holding me back.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:05 PM
Team Owner

Chap why not pick up the beefed Auto tranny from Velocity Resources. I mean, install the S/C and if the stock tranny blows down the line, pick up the VR one. I think the Stage 1 tranny is like $2500
Old 04-28-2004, 06:10 PM
Suzuka Master

So i'm still talking to some dealers about the warranty so we'll see. As of now its the ONLY thing holding me back.

Honestly, I think you should PM Modaddict or Redrider and speak with them. Modaddict (Brad) had the S/C on for a few thousand miles.. Redrider (Glen) still has his and loves it.

I would save that 1300 and put it into your OH SHIT FUND or see about contacting Dean Batey and getting a bullet proof tranny. I read in another thread that their is no down time for the tranny upgrade, they have them ready to install...

So take some vacation, head to FL for a cruise and get it then come back here and flat bed your car along with Essarack's and then you both can ride in at the end of the week and pick up your cars and race home against eachother......

I am serious..... always remember the title above my avatar..
Old 04-28-2004, 09:55 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by Scrib
So if there weren't any transmission problems on the CL/TL would you still expect Acura to warranty it?

All I'm saying is that using the "glass transmission" issue is only an excuse. If the dealer will honor the warranty, that's great.

Comptech headers are one thing. A Comptech supercharger, putting a whole shitload more power down is another.
A Mod is a Mod, they both add power.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:03 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by Smitty
Honestly, I think you should PM Modaddict or Redrider and speak with them. Modaddict (Brad) had the S/C on for a few thousand miles.. Redrider (Glen) still has his and loves it.

I would save that 1300 and put it into your OH SHIT FUND or see about contacting Dean Batey and getting a bullet proof tranny. I read in another thread that their is no down time for the tranny upgrade, they have them ready to install...

So take some vacation, head to FL for a cruise and get it then come back here and flat bed your car along with Essarack's and then you both can ride in at the end of the week and pick up your cars and race home against eachother......

I am serious..... always remember the title above my avatar..
I let Chap know what i think. My SC has been problem free and everything feels great, knock on wood My dealer sold me the blower and installed it, they completely support Comptech and i expect them to take care of any problems i might encounter.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:12 PM
///M POWER

Oh OK he has the M/T. Must be nice. In the warranty aspect at least.

Believe me Smitty i would have no problem having you install the S/C, there’s no doubt of that. And i also appreciate the offer.

The only problem i'm running into now is that most Acura dealerships around here won't warranty the sucker after its installed. Not a big deal for u 6MT guys but for us with the 5AT it makes a world of difference.

The local Acura dealer that installs them only does it if you buy the S/C through them. Now that’s like $1300 bucks more then what i can get it for. And that’s just for the unit itself. But not only that even if i do go through them the drivetrain and engine warranty are STILL voided. (i think Scrib gave them a call j/k )

Your damn right about the pay to play part.

when mod addict was selling his s/c i was gonna make him an offer but before i called the 2 dealers near me and neither of them wanted to warranty it for me...

incase something woulda went wrong i dont have the $$$ to fix it myself so i decided not to buy the s/c.

chap, i've driven brads's tl-s when it was blown, you should def pick one up man, just completly changes the car.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:36 PM
Suzuka Master

1st tranny crew, sign in!