Sunroof leak ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 02:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Sunroof leak ??

I go out to lunch and as I take the corner out of the parking lot, I get hit in the face with water

Anyone else experience a moonroof leak on their 2nd gen ?? I searched, but didn't see many posts on this topic (and when I did it was about a non 2nd gen CL).

I'm hoping it's a one time thing, and that the roof wasn't closed all the way (I had it opened all of this past weekend).

I've had the anti-rattle tape installed at 15K miles (now at 20K).

I usually have the cover closed, so I don't know how long this leak has been happening. Hopefully the showers will stop long enough for me to get a better look at it, and then if it persists, it's off to the dealer.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:53 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
On my previous '01 CLS and on my current '03 CLS never had any leaks.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want to do a little troubleshooting on your own, there are (4) drain tubes that go from the sunroof area down each corner pillar.
When it’s dry out you should be able to open your roof and pour water into the outer channel.
It should come out near the four wheels.
If it doesn’t, one of the tubes may be blocked or off the connector.

Mine hasn’t leaked, but all cars with factory sunroofs are like this.
If you pull the interior A-pillar trim off you can see the front drain tubes.

Hope this helps,
Shawn S
Old 04-26-2004, 03:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Shawn S
Mine hasn’t leaked, but all cars with factory sunroofs are like this.
If you pull the interior A-pillar trim off you can see the front drain tubes.
Cool. So the Acuras have drains like the old VW sunroof buses did. I'll check it out when I get a break in the showers here.

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Hmmm... I'll probably call the dealership tomorrow.

Everything looks good with the drains. I'm thinking that your surposed to have the moonroof cover closed when it rains, but the manual doesn't mention it.

I'm guessing that the moonroof cover must be water proof, and the cover helps "channel" the water to the drains I'm thinking it was designed this way, and I've got to keep the cover closed when it's raining out
Old 04-27-2004, 12:42 AM
Bleed Honda Blue

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
did you open your moonroof and pour water into the drain? Water should drain fairly quickly.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:35 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by greenmonster
I'm thinking that your surposed to have the moonroof cover closed when it rains, but the manual doesn't mention it.
NO, shouldn't matter. That's INSIDE the car under the glass.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:55 AM
Senior Moderator

I haven't poured water into the drain, but it I did check everything out last night. There is a channel that water sits in and gets routed to the drains (I couldn't see the rear drains).

I'm getting enough water in the channel, so that when I take turns the water goes to one side and washes over the lip and into the cabin. I will admit that I do take turns a little "aggressively"

The drains look clean, and the opening for the moonroof was clean (just a little dust). I wiped everything down, and kept the cover closed on the way to work this morning.

It appears that water is getting in and not draining, so I really have to pour water in an verify that the water drains quickly (probably tomorrow night).

This is exactly the reason why I've never owed a car with a moonroof before. I really wish that the CLS came with a "moonroof delete" option.

Looks like I'm gonna take it into the dealer.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:03 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've owned a lot of cars with moonroofs and the only one that leaked was my wife's Saturn (1997 POS). She had it replaced 4 times and it was finally fixed after the fourth module, or at least didn't leak at the time we sold it.

The panel that you pull in the car (for darkening) does not add anything to the seal. The seal is from above and the channels divert the water away so it doesn't pool around the window. Sometime the channels get blocked (with a leaf or something) and water will pool and overwhelm the seal. If your channels are open then the problem is probably with the window seal itself.

As you stated -- get it checked out, you should have zero leakage. This should be a warranty issue.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:59 AM
Above n Beyond

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts
when i rains i havent noticed anything, but when i go through car washes i feel a slight drop hit my face once in a while too. i have an 03 cl-s. i guess i should get it checked out as well.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:29 AM
Bleed Honda Blue

There should be 4 drain tube. Two in front and 2 in rear. When you pour water into the drain make sure water flow out near the 2 front mudguard. The rear drain should be in the quater panel infront of the rear tires. If you do not have water flowing out form one of the four corners, that drain tube is plug. Honda moonroof wasn't design to be water tight. Drains was place in the moonroof to channel excess water out of the car.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:31 AM
Team Owner

They only show (2) drains in this picture, but I'm pretty sure there is one in each corner.

Old 04-27-2004, 11:50 AM
Bleed Honda Blue

Originally posted by Shawn S
They only show (2) drains in this picture, but I'm pretty sure there is one in each corner.

humm...... I could have sworn there are 4 in each sunroof, maybe I am wrong.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by sgmotoring
humm...... I could have sworn there are 4 in each sunroof, maybe I am wrong.
Nah, I think you're right. I can see 2 up front even tho the diagram doesn't show 2.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:57 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by greenmonster
Nah, I think you're right. I can see 2 up front even tho the diagram doesn't show 2.
Correct...
I’m pretty sure there are (4).
I know when I was doing the Hard-Wire on my V1 and I had the driver’s side A-Pillar interior trim off and I saw the one tube there.
That one isn’t pictured above.

I think there almost NEEDS to be four.
Suppose you park the car on a hill and it’s leaning to one side.
If it rains and there’s no drain in that corner, you’re going to have a problem.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:32 AM
10th Gear

back from the dead...

It's been raining like a bitch this month and my moonroof has started leaking... sat on a nice puddle that was on my driver's seat this morning that dripped down from the moonroof cover. After reading this thread, I'm pretty convinced that it's the sunroof drains causing the problem.
What's the best way to clear them out? Does anyone have any pics or diagrams showing where they end?

Thx
Old 06-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would think that anyone who wouldn't want their leather soaked would close the moon roof when it rains... It does a have a small catch for water, but a small amount could have very well just puddled up in the center of the catch and then when you pulled the turn it flew out.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:27 PM
eh

Originally Posted by ljmushock
I would think that anyone who wouldn't want their leather soaked would close the moon roof when it rains... It does a have a small catch for water, but a small amount could have very well just puddled up in the center of the catch and then when you pulled the turn it flew out.
You definitely shouldn't need to rely on the moonroof cover to keep you dry ... if that's trapping water its most likely going to get moldy.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:43 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ljmushock
Thanks for the tip. My moonroof is closed, and so is the cover. There's enough water building up that the moonroof cover is getting waterlogged in one spot and the water is dripping from it.