Stopped in L.A. for no front plate

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 10:48 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stopped in L.A. for no front plate

This is just to let any of you guys that live in Los Angeles know that the city is cracking down on not having a front license plate. I was stopped yesterday and warned. The cop said because of all the intersection red light cameras they are putting up they are going to start writing tickets on not having a plate. I go through about 3 or 4 cities on the way to work and I think it is only L.A. that is messing with it.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:16 AM
Burning Brakes

You guys are lucky to even get warnings.

Up here in Ontario, Canada... it's a 110$ ticket on the spot.

But I know how to get around that
Old 04-21-2005, 02:34 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Texas....of course..

Texas has juggled around with the idea of enforcing or not enforcing it the front plate law.

About the only cops that will actually stop you for them are the ones who have nothing else better to do: Constables, DPS, Highway Patrol.

They tried to pass the red light camera law earlier this year but it was shot down. Big issue is the "gray area" where to decide where they can actually give a ticket for actually running it or someone just stepping out to the intersection a bit to make a "right on red"....

They'll try again soon I'm sure...it's Texas.

I've had my CLS since 08/11/02 (manufactured 07/22/02) and first thing before pulling it off the showroom floor is that I asked for a wrench...pulled that *#%!$*& front plate bracket off and haven't had a plate since. THEN, they opened the doors and drove out with a big smile.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:20 PM
FWD tuna boat

i feel for you guys that need to have the front plate on your CL...it looks HORRIBLE on the front bumper!

Old 04-21-2005, 03:22 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
damn.. that sux... the first thing I did after picking up my car at the dealer was to get t hat front plate off my bumper... finally something to be thankful living in ATL, GA...haha
Old 04-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
I like my front plate. It protects the bumper with the shitty Acura paintjob from getting dings.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:02 PM
10th Gear

I'm going to leave it off until I get a ticket. It's not a big deal if you get one here. You put on the plate and go to CHP and pay a small fine. It's the first time I've been stopped for it in a long time.

I just don't like the way it sticks out so far. Kills the lines around the front.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:51 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
out in Newport Beach I got stopped for not having an actual license plate on my car. Instead, I had a plate on that said "K-9 Unit". I didn't get a ticket or warning or anything. They just used it as an excuse to pull me over to see if I was drunk. Then they let me go on my merry way.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:56 PM
rjp
CL-S Owner

In Alberta:

Good: front plate got scraped a little over 10 years ago
Bad: red light cameras work with the rear plate
Old 04-21-2005, 06:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rjp
In Alberta:

Good: front plate got scraped a little over 10 years ago
Bad: red light cameras work with the rear plate
Good: highly reflective transparent spray paint prevent red light camera's from working!
Old 04-21-2005, 06:33 PM

I bought my car, used, with no front plate bracket on it. I put the license plate on the dash board, though, so there is 'something' for the cameras to take photos of. If I get stopped, Then I will buy a front bracket, but they are just so damn ugly on this car.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:58 PM
Burning Brakes

I know your pain.

I took a bandsaw to mine and cut off the bottom and top portions of the plate so it would fit between the top and bottom lip of the lower grille. So far no harrassments.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by derelict
I took a bandsaw to mine and cut off the bottom and top portions of the plate so it would fit between the top and bottom lip of the lower grille. So far no harrassments.
That's what I was thinking of doing if I ever get forced to put mine on. Good to know that it fits. As far as our local laws are concerned, the plate must be mounted at the factory location and give an unobstructed view. So since there's no factory location, and I the plate's unobstructed, they can't ticket me. Woohoo!
Old 04-21-2005, 07:32 PM
ex 6 Speed owner :(

Originally Posted by RBLIVN
This is just to let any of you guys that live in Los Angeles know that the city is cracking down on not having a front license plate. I was stopped yesterday and warned. The cop said because of all the intersection red light cameras they are putting up they are going to start writing tickets on not having a plate. I go through about 3 or 4 cities on the way to work and I think it is only L.A. that is messing with it.
Damn. This is why I have one on my daily driver. I have never had one on the CL. BTW... WATCH OUT for temporary SMOG check locations throughout the southland... it has been spotted in two different locations over the last week... on Anza and then on Lomita. A highway patrol officer and a rolling dyno on a flatbed. I guess it doesn't matter much for 2nd gen CL's as they should be running pretty clean. I was a little nervous driving the CL home from work today though...
Old 04-21-2005, 07:40 PM
I'm Cool

this is what i do, i purposely bend my front lic plate and put it in the trunk along with the screws and bracket nesseary to mount them. And when i get pull over for no front plate, i show him the bend plate and tell the cop that hit a high curb. Got pulled over once for the plate and taht was the exact reason i used and the cop just said just get it fix
Old 04-21-2005, 07:45 PM
Burning Brakes

i took off my front plate too and i went to go kick it at west LA right by UCLA, and when i come back to my car i got a $25 ticket for not having a plate. Damn west la is so damn stingy about everything there. I never had to go to a chp office or anything like that tho. I just mailed it in by check, and i still haven't put it back on. Only time i will ever put it on is if i ever go back to west la
Old 04-21-2005, 08:10 PM
buy my car

i had them leave it off the car from the dealer. been pulled over for speeding, illegal turn etc. and just get a "unclear plate" ticket-$54-and im on my way. beats points and a surcharge on my insurance. i'll never put it on, looks horrible
Old 04-21-2005, 08:13 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by falabarce
Texas has juggled around with the idea of enforcing or not enforcing it the front plate law.

About the only cops that will actually stop you for them are the ones who have nothing else better to do: Constables, DPS, Highway Patrol.

They tried to pass the red light camera law earlier this year but it was shot down. Big issue is the "gray area" where to decide where they can actually give a ticket for actually running it or someone just stepping out to the intersection a bit to make a "right on red"....

They'll try again soon I'm sure...it's Texas.

I've had my CLS since 08/11/02 (manufactured 07/22/02) and first thing before pulling it off the showroom floor is that I asked for a wrench...pulled that *#%!$*& front plate bracket off and haven't had a plate since. THEN, they opened the doors and drove out with a big smile.

i dunno where u live at g but in houston they got red light cameras everywhere...im just sayin tho...i took my front plate off too...aint been bothered
Old 04-21-2005, 10:46 PM

i've been worried also so this is what i'm gonna do...i still don't like having a front plate at all but this looks better then mounted on the bumper...i haven't done it yet but from hellashook's instructions..it's easy... https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168750
Old 04-22-2005, 12:51 AM
Advanced

Got pulled over for speeding and got a fix it tik for no front plate (not for speeding). I put the plate on and i've been trying to find a cop just hanging around to sign off so i can avoid the cost of going down to the courthouse or chp.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:33 AM
Bleed Honda Blue

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by headersplus
Got pulled over for speeding and got a fix it tik for no front plate (not for speeding). I put the plate on and i've been trying to find a cop just hanging around to sign off so i can avoid the cost of going down to the courthouse or chp.
Damn I just got pulled over yesturday for speeding and got a speeding ticket instead of no front plate. but I was going 92mph in a 65mph zone.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 03 CL TypeS
Good: highly reflective transparent spray paint prevent red light camera's from working!
Actually quite the opposite would be needed...

http://www.krylonindustrial.com/inde...7334019d1f7a01

August 28, 2003 07:40 - REFLECT-A-LITE™ paint consists of clear, reflective, aerosol coating that can be applied to items without obscuring original or daylight color. It directly reflects light from flashlights or headlights to increase visibility in the dark, under emergency lighting conditions, or in areas with low ambient light. Product may be applied to rough and complex shapes not suited for reflective films and comes in 16 oz cans and in case packs of 12.
Low reflective properties is what youre searching for.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CLRida
i dunno where u live at g but in houston they got red light cameras everywhere...im just sayin tho...i took my front plate off too...aint been bothered
I'm in Seabrook and drive to Greenway Plaza every day. They have the cameras installed but they can't use them for tickets. Right now they're only used for "observations"...

This is the latest on it:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3077692
Old 04-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RBLIVN
parking meter enforcement can also give out no front plate tickets while your car is parked....with you not in it.....and time left on the meter still.....$25 fine
Old 04-22-2005, 01:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KavexTrax
Actually quite the opposite would be needed...

http://www.krylonindustrial.com/inde...7334019d1f7a01

Low reflective properties is what youre searching for.
Oops, thanks for the correction! I knew something was possible, but I guess I had the product wrong.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:45 PM
Cruisin'

I'm in Seabrook and drive to Greenway Plaza every day. They have the cameras installed but they can't use them for tickets. Right now they're only used for "observations"...

This is the latest on it:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3077692

seabrook huh...im in clear lake...u shold holla at ya boy mayne

and i didnt know that...guess i can still run red lights
Old 04-22-2005, 08:34 PM
Recently turned 18

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll tell you what. I can't stand the front tag and I will do everything to avoid it. I am now stationed in Maryland, but since I'm from Atlanta I make a concious effort to keep my cars registered there. The only trade off is time and a higher tag fee. Oh well.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:45 PM
AVID HATER

<----Renegede in VA. No front tags. Wont drill holes in my baby
Old 04-23-2005, 10:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CLRida
seabrook huh...im in clear lake...u shold holla at ya boy mayne

and i didnt know that...guess i can still run red lights
Clear Lake eh? Hmm...perhaps we have run across each other. I'm in an '01 Aegean Blue CL-S.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:53 PM
Cruisin'

Clear Lake eh? Hmm...perhaps we have run across each other. I'm in an '01 Aegean Blue CL-S.
well u betta keep an eye in yo rear view cuz ima rob u for it....

nah im kiddin....Silver 98 CL...id know if id seen u b4 cuz id remember seenin that car
Old 04-24-2005, 08:59 PM
how handsome I am

Originally Posted by andre
i feel for you guys that need to have the front plate on your CL...it looks HORRIBLE on the front bumper!

I got screwed... the asshat who owned my first gen before me had a front liscence plate... now ive got two screws and darker paint where it used to be..

-Alex
Old 04-25-2005, 10:13 AM
Instructor

One good thing about Texas...

Originally Posted by agranado
I got screwed... the asshat who owned my first gen before me had a front liscence plate... now ive got two screws and darker paint where it used to be..

-Alex
...I suppose would be that there are no holes in the bumper visible. The front bumper has holes drilled at the base with metal inserts for the bracket to be attached there and it wraps up...so no marks on the bumper.

Of course, a front plate on ANY car still looks like crappola....but oh well....whatchagonnado...
Old 04-25-2005, 03:27 PM
A clean ride is in

I saw a hottie today driving a '02 silver type S with chrome rims and no front licence plate. I wish she would have pulled over and told me if she had gotten any tickets. That's it, I'm pulling mine off today.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:08 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Colorado- what is the fine? Anyone know?

I pulled mine off and haven't been bothered about it.... yet (knock on wood). Unfortunately there is a scratch on the paint from where it was but since it's Nighthawk Black you really don't notice it. I'm still thinking of putting it back on tho. It just looks like poo with it on.