SS sticks in gear and I can't shift.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2001, 06:59 PM
Soon to be, fairly famous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SS sticks in gear and I can't shift.

Lately...okay, yesterday, I was doing some hard acceleration and my SS wouldn't go to 3rd. I hit the friggin lever numerous times, but it just wouldn't go, up or back. The only way I got it to move was to go into straight auto mode. Has anyone had similar experience with this type of thing.

Of course, they (Acura) couldn't reproduce it. If it happens again, I'm going to take the tech on a little ride until I CAN reproduce it.

dee

------------------
PimpDaddy Gold, Deep Tint, BAAAAAD Attitude
Old 01-16-2001, 07:00 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SmoothJyzz:
Lately...okay, yesterday, I was doing some hard acceleration and my SS wouldn't go to 3rd. I hit the friggin lever numerous times, but it just wouldn't go, up or back. The only way I got it to move was to go into straight auto mode. Has anyone had similar experience with this type of thing.

Of course, they (Acura) couldn't reproduce it. If it happens again, I'm going to take the tech on a little ride until I CAN reproduce it.

dee

</font>
I have had a problem with it taking a few taps to get into third but that may have been becuase I didn't push it far enough.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Nose Mask/Mud Guards/Wheel locks/
Comptech Springs & Filter/PIAA 1969/20% Tint/Acura lettering removed/
12in Sub with AMP/Dynomated Trunk/Sub control under dash/
Clifford G4 Solaris Alarm
Old 01-16-2001, 07:08 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to protect your lovely engine... I do not see why u can up-shift from 1-2 to 3, or 3-4, 4-5 if you are in certain speed range, for example, I noticed I cannot shift to 5 below 50 mph.... it is stuck to 4. Now, if u r doing some 4,000 rpm on 4th and wanted to down shift to 3rd in full throtle, I guess the ECU will not allow u to do so (why, again to protect your engine from sudden over-reving)! I guess what u can do is let off the gas down shift to 2 gun it down and upshift to 3 when u like to do so.

------------------
Bare Bone Stock Type-S. Plenty of accessories. PIAA 19169 to be installed soon.
Old 01-16-2001, 07:12 PM
Race Director

this happened to me twice the whole several months i have had the car.

its really embarassing if you trying to impress a girl with cool driving.
Old 01-16-2001, 07:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WebToker:
I have had a problem with it taking a few taps to get into third but that may have been becuase I didn't push it far enough.

</font>
It always takes me 2 or 3 taps to get it into 3rd and is one of the primary reasons why I think the SS blows @ss. It simply can't react fast enough.
Old 01-16-2001, 07:30 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoldTypeS:
It always takes me 2 or 3 taps to get it into 3rd and is one of the primary reasons why I think the SS blows @ss. It simply can't react fast enough.</font>
I am wondering if we should start bitching and consider it a defect and have them fix it.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 01-16-2001, 09:17 PM
Banned

You've just hit on one of my major problems with SS. Typical situation: I need to make a right turn out of a driveway and get to 50mph ASAP ahead of traffic. So its full throttle to 50, then pull the throttle way back and shift into 3rd. In a stick, the upshift and throttle reduction is one step. Try it with the SS and it IGNORES the 2-3 shift. If you keep you foot on the gas, it will do the 2-3 no problem. Or couse, if you wait for the shift before you throttle back, you're going about 70. (Remember I wanted to go 0-50 and stop accelerating.) I hate that even more than the 1-2 and 2-1 automatic shifting in SS.

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CL Type with Spoiler and Navi
Old 01-16-2001, 10:25 PM
Team Owner

I hardly ever use the darn thing because of the terrible shift lag.
I tried using it the other day to downshift in the snow, and the damn thing compression locked the front tires and I almost slid off the road. (But that’s another story)

Sport Shift BLOWS………
I want a 6-Speed manual !!!!!!

Shawn S

------------------
&gt;&gt;&gt; 400+ posts on h/a.net &lt;&lt;&lt; &gt;&gt;&gt; 550+ posts “freak” on the “old” acura-cl.com &lt;&lt;&lt;

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 01-17-2001, 12:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have not experienced any problems with the SS. It's great to keep the rev's up (3rd gear rules). But the lag between shifts needs to improve. Maybe they'll develop a performance chip like the one in my truck.

------------------
01 Silver 3.2CLs
Old 01-17-2001, 12:39 AM
hater

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mdaniel:
You've just hit on one of my major problems with SS. Typical situation: I need to make a right turn out of a driveway and get to 50mph ASAP ahead of traffic. So its full throttle to 50, then pull the throttle way back and shift into 3rd. In a stick, the upshift and throttle reduction is one step. Try it with the SS and it IGNORES the 2-3 shift. If you keep you foot on the gas, it will do the 2-3 no problem. Or couse, if you wait for the shift before you throttle back, you're going about 70. (Remember I wanted to go 0-50 and stop accelerating.) I hate that even more than the 1-2 and 2-1 automatic shifting in SS.</font>
This is EXACTLY it! No need to discuss any further. I was going to post when I got home, but mdaniel beat me to it. Try it for yourself. You can replicate the "no shift" scenario every time using this method.

------------------
2001 CL-S "The Original Pimp Daddy Gold™"
a study in pimp daddy gold
Old 01-17-2001, 01:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

I guess the Acura engineers felt that if your only looking to go 50mph, then 2nd gear should be sufficient. You are 100% correct about the 80mph 3rd gear shift. I find myself there everyday.

------------------
01 Silver 3.2CLs
Old 01-17-2001, 01:51 AM
Race Director

Well instead of of allowing this thread to become a SS bashing thread, I'm here to defend SS by declaring that I've never had a real problem using it. This is primarily because I've learned how to use it properly because I've practiced often and know what it can and what it cannot do. Consequently, I've discovered that there is virtually no type of [typical] driving that cannot be accommodated; only the extreme stuff. Without debating what's extreme and what isn't, I can only say that I challenge anyone here who hates SS to get to know it and learn it (yes you may have to give up your biases about SS) and perhaps modify some of your driving techniques, but I think it will neither detract from your driving experience nor decrease your expected performance.

Mostly what I'm reading in this thread is complaints about how the design and functionality of SS wasn't exactly created per your personal preference. Of course a manual shift operates for 99% of the population because you shift when you want to and how you want to. SS has to try to accommodate those same 99% by doing what will satisfy most of the drivers. Anyone except those on the extreme can find [good] use with the current SS design. I know I so have.

For those who have cited performance issues such as` I can turn and accelerate and stop and turn and move slowly than run to 100 effectively using SS, conceivable the same can be said for manual. I think I am going to reread some of the situations about and attempt to duplicate them the best I can and post it here as an alternative. It won't be exact but it should be close enough to be acceptable.

Also everyone must be forgetting that this car does have automatic. Use it for those 10% of the times that you can't get SS to work for you. Is somebody going to declare that auto doesn't do it right either?

Finally the last three big items: gear won't shift, 1-2 and 2-1 automatic, and shift lag. Where do I start? I only throw these out as suggestions, I welcome rebuttals but I believe that the stick won't shift when it isn't supposed to be able to based on the circumstances. Am I misunderstanding or does everyone think the gear should downshift even if there is a possibly of over revving, notwithstanding the fact that such speed is entirely attainable under other circumstances (i.e. up shifting)? Does anyone fault a manual and call it limited which won't downshift properly while already redlining in 3rd gear?

We've discussed the 1-2 and 2-1 auto shift before. 99% of the time, the shift must occur while you are driving. Why not let is be done automatically? Yes there are times when you need that 1st gear hold (u-turns) so if you can't figure out how to do it with SS or you do know how but don't like the way it's done, put it in auto. If you can't figure out how to get near redline in 1st while using SS, you probably shouldn't be using SS or you probably don't really need it. I get all the speed I need in SS and no manual is going to attain significantly more speed. For me, I'm glad the auto 1-2 is there because for me, a manual shift vehicle looks pretty silly shifting from 1-2 because most drivers can't do it gracefully. Acura is going to make sure the CL remains graceful, at least in this department.

Finally and sorry but being long, this will be short, shift lag. When is happens (which is not often for me), it takes 1.3 seconds whereas a manual shift vehicle takes 1.2 seconds. Big deal. Since this is not a race car, big deal. The SS you tap, the gears move, they hesitate momentarily they engage, you're still on the accelerator, you move out. With manual, you come off the pedal, depress the clutch, manually move the stick (travels must farther than SS btw), release, engage, clutch, move foot to accelerator, and zoom. Same amount of time, you just don't notice it because you're working rather than spending time waiting around for the car to automatically do the work, which makes it easier to notice what's [not] going on. I challenge any average driver to refute this last piece. Not the exact times (with is merely an example) but the time difference.

Practice, practice, practice like I have since April and you'll change your tune. You won't be 100% happy but who could possible be 100% happy with any transmission, manual or otherwise.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *

[This message has been edited by kensteele (edited 01-16-2001).]
Old 01-17-2001, 02:28 AM

ken: I've been driving in SS since October when I got the car and this is the first time it's happened to me. I mean, it wouldn't go to 3rd. I hit the level at least six times...all the way up and all the while the needle's steadily climbing toward redline. It wasn't an rpm deal....it simply stuck in gear and wouldn't switch out of it. I moved it to auto, and it switched up. I moved it back to SS, it was in fourth, and STILL wouldn't upshift or downshift. I've been from Tulsa, to Ft. Hood Texas, and from Tulsa to Tampa, FL over the Christmas break, and I've driven manuals all my life. I'm not so much worried about the shift lag..you're right that there's a lag between gears in a manual, but the fact that the car isn't working correctly.

I think that they really should give control over the entire shifting schema. 1-2 included. Don't shift for me, I know what I'm doing. If not, give me a six-speed manual, and I'll do it myself.

dee

------------------
Old 01-17-2001, 02:33 AM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SmoothJyzz:
ken: I've been driving in SS since October when I got the car and this is the first time it's happened to me. I mean, it wouldn't go to 3rd. I hit the level at least six times...all the way up and all the while the needle's steadily climbing toward redline. It wasn't an rpm deal....it simply stuck in gear and wouldn't switch out of it. I moved it to auto, and it switched up. I moved it back to SS, it was in fourth, and STILL wouldn't upshift or downshift. I've been from Tulsa, to Ft. Hood Texas, and from Tulsa to Tampa, FL over the Christmas break, and I've driven manuals all my life. I'm not so much worried about the shift lag..you're right that there's a lag between gears in a manual, but the fact that the car isn't working correctly.

I think that they really should give control over the entire shifting schema. 1-2 included. Don't shift for me, I know what I'm doing. If not, give me a six-speed manual, and I'll do it myself.

dee
</font>
I understand. I would say defective. I haven't experienced this; ever.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 01-17-2001, 02:45 AM
Racer

I would say that the Acura SportShift is not as good as the AutoStick in my previous car (Intrepid). It was 4 gears instead of 5 but you could shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st and could take it all the way to red line and hit the rev limiter. Pretty much could do anything except something that would damage the engine like downshifting to 1st when doing 80.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red / Parchment
non-nav - wheel locks - splash guards
Old 01-17-2001, 02:58 AM
hater

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kensteele:
I understand. I would say defective. I haven't experienced this; ever. </font>
Agreed. I didn't fully understand the depth of Dee's problem from his intial post. Take it in to the shop.

------------------
2001 CL-S "The Original Pimp Daddy Gold™"
a study in pimp daddy gold
Old 01-17-2001, 11:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

I thought that computers were supposed to do things faster than us slow mental processing humans? You may be happy with the performance with the SS, but I feel they could do better. This is probably the single reason why the CL lost to the BMW330 in the Road & Track evaluation. If the CL had a faster shifting auto or a 6 speed it would have dominated. Yeah you could practice and make the best of it (I have also you have no choice). But lets put some pressure on the Acura engineers to improve a critical part of the drivetrain.

------------------
01 Silver 3.2CLs
Old 01-17-2001, 12:14 PM

I would prefer nothing but a stick in this car. Although the auto doesn't really bother me all that bad.

A six speed would totally ROCK though!
Old 01-17-2001, 12:45 PM
Drifting

I find the SS good for snow driving because it is so "SLOW" in shifting. But I did not get SS for its abilities in snow, I wanted something that would approach manual (I really wanted manual) and don't feel I get it with this shifter. I'm quite confident 95% of the people here can shift faster than 1.2 seconds. The car needs a CPU mod to improve shifter performance (including first to second). The original problem here, not going from second to third is very serious, should be brought to the dealers attention quickly.

------------------
Eat Safe, Use Condiments
red CL-S, non-Nav
Old 01-17-2001, 02:28 PM
Racer

I don't know if I have experienced the exact same thing, but twice, under hard acceleration I experienced a lockdown in gears. 1-2 auto ok , 2-3 ok, and then 3-4 nothing. So now I'm in 3 going 60 or so. I want 4 but no 4. Stuck in 3 , and when I slow I can't on a highway drop to 2nd. The only way I could free the gears is to get into Full auto. What happened? This only happened twice when I first got the car. Since then no problems, but I admit I'm pretty good with shifting SS whenever I want now. No complaints. I would say it's my "learning the system".
Old 01-17-2001, 03:27 PM
Advanced

For SmoothJyzz, i'd say if it happens again take it back to dealer and make the mechanic ride with you as you suggested. Doesn't sound like SS is working properly and for a less than a year old car it shouldn't be happening.

In general, i agree with KenSteele and Mercury...it takes some practice. I've only had my Type S for 5 days, and have made a couple mistakes with SS, but don't regret trading in my Prelude Type SH one bit.

I've been driving manual transmissions most of my 13 year driving career and can honestly say that i've never been a fan of automatics, but i really enjoy the SS mode. I think it's quick enough to make a difference and it makes you feel more a part of your car than a normal auto.

One of my main reasons for buying this car was to get away from clutch shifting in heavy DC traffic, but to still have plenty of driving enjoyment without having to rely on the computer's gear choices and not having to use the brakes all the time to slow down.

And for those of you who are complaining about wanting a 6 speed manual i have only one question for you...why did you buy the CL TypeS?

A Corvette, Camaro SS or Firebird TA all have available 6 speed manual trannies and cost less (except for the Corvette of course). I'm not trying to be antagonistic here, i just don't understand the comparison of SS to a 6 speed when you knowingly bought a car with SS.

------------------
Bullet-TypeS
Old 01-17-2001, 04:10 PM
Intermediate

The shift lag and and 1-2 shift are bothersome to me. In fact, I just leave it in drive to avoid frustration. I enjoy the car more this way. I actually only miss a stick on real twisty roads where I want to really keep in the sweet spot, and downshift coming out of a corner at limit. But when I want to go tackle twisties, I take my miata anyway. But for everyday drives and stoplight fun, I wouldn't trade my CL-S for any thing below 40 large.

------------------
2001 Taffeta White CL-S
Spoiler,muds,& roof visor
Old 01-17-2001, 04:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm hoping that as a result of the problems raised here that an upgrade chip becomes available. Based on the number of complaints here and the limited size of the list, I have a feeling a chip is being developed as we speak. My buddy just put one in his Passat and it made a big difference.

------------------
01 Silver 3.2CLs
Old 01-17-2001, 11:17 PM
Team Owner

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">And for those of you who are complaining about wanting a 6 speed manual i have only one question for you...why did you buy the CL TypeS? A Corvette, Camaro SS or Firebird TA all have available 6 speed manual trannies and cost less (except for the Corvette of course).</font>
I am a Honda product enthusiast.
I sold my 91 Legend Coupe 5-Speed to buy the CL-S.

All the cars you mentioned are rear wheel drive, which won’t get me to my home on top of the hill when there are 8+ inches of snow on the road.
FWD or 4WD is a MUST for me.
Plus every model you mentioned is a GM.
I don’t want my ride to fall apart and plummet in value within 2-years like GM’s tend to do.

The only other manual car I seriously considered was the Toyota Solara (5-Speed).
If not for the CL-S, I would still be driving my Legend.

Buying a car is all about give & take.
I gave up the 5-Speed to get 260HP, NAV, Traction Control and all the other “new car goodies”.

Shawn S

------------------
&gt;&gt;&gt; 400+ posts on h/a.net &lt;&lt;&lt; &gt;&gt;&gt; 550+ posts “freak” on the “old” acura-cl.com &lt;&lt;&lt;

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 01-18-2001, 03:48 AM
w.t.f., mate?

Hey quick question re: SS

Lets see I'm in 4th gear and I see a red light. Do I need to start shifting 4-3-2(computer controlls 2-1) as I approach the redlight, or can I just hang in 4th, and let just stop at the light(the comp automatically throws it back into 1st gear).

------------------
~Phil~!
2K1 CL-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia! Quantum tint, hyper-white road lamps, and I just got a spoiler on baby!! Uniden LRD 6599SWS Radar Detector. Beautiful shine provided by Meguiar's Gold Wax. Shuttup, I know it's not Zaino

Former post count : Over 470
Old 01-18-2001, 04:15 AM
Banned

As you slow down, it will shift from 4 to 3 when you hit a certain speed. It does this even when making a right turn, so I think it happens around 20-25 mph. But if you keep slowing down, it will go from 3 to 2 to 1 very quickly at around 10 mph.

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CL Type S with Spoiler and Navi
Old 01-18-2001, 06:04 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shawn S:
And for those of you who are complaining about wanting a 6 speed manual i have only one question for you...why did you buy the CL TypeS? A Corvette, Camaro SS or Firebird TA all have available 6 speed manual trannies and cost less (except for the Corvette of course).</font>
I am a Honda product enthusiast.
I sold my 91 Legend Coupe 5-Speed to buy the CL-S.

All the cars you mentioned are rear wheel drive, which won’t get me to my home on top of the hill when there are 8+ inches of snow on the road.
FWD or 4WD is a MUST for me.
Plus every model you mentioned is a GM.
I don’t want my ride to fall apart and plummet in value within 2-years like GM’s tend to do.

The only other manual car I seriously considered was the Toyota Solara (5-Speed).
If not for the CL-S, I would still be driving my Legend.

Buying a car is all about give & take.
I gave up the 5-Speed to get 260HP, NAV, Traction Control and all the other “new car goodies”.

Shawn S

Also, all those cars he mentioned look like shit as far as interior goes and are really not comfortable. Well, that and they are all over the place.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 01-18-2001, 09:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

I've owned some high hp gm v8 cars, and I agree that they fall apart and handle like crap. But there is nothing like a built up SBC. I put a 350hp one in my Jeep wrangler for offroad activities.

------------------
01 Silver 3.2CLs
Old 01-18-2001, 11:21 AM

You know....sometimes you ladies are a bunch of the most contentious SOB's ever to walk the face of the planet! This or any other. But, this is by far the most interesting and informative group of people I've had the pleasure of "meeting". Keep it up.....You to LuckyCL!

------------------
Old 01-18-2001, 03:11 PM
Advanced

I never said GM made cars with nice interiors, ergonomics, smooth engines, good build quality, or long lasting drivetrains. But they are the only ones to make 6 speeds available to the general public (w/incomes under $100K). Believe me i owned an '86 Buick GS (knockoff of a Gran National/GNX) and i'll never own another GM product. Piss poor, piss poor!!

Anyway if you don't like the "SS" trade it in for a used NSX w/6 speed. Then we could all live vicariously through your ride.

: )

------------------
Bullet-TypeS