spring question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2001 | 02:43 PM
Cruisin'

spring question...

Hi all,

i have finally decided to lower my cls. it got a little over 10000km.

however, i couldn't decide who makes the best spring for it. i heard different things(good or bad) on different brand.

so here it is, comptech spring, eibach pro-kit, H&R Sport Springs, and Neuspeed Sport Springs. please list them from best to worst and good and bad things about them. Also, which springs most likely have the following problem like require camber kit, require alignment or tire rubbing.

people who use any of the spring above please speak up.

Thanks for all the help, i really want to lower the car with minimum problem and best look.

-2001CLTypeS
Old 05-22-2001 | 03:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have the Comptechs. They drop the car 1.25in up front and 1.0in in back. I like them just fine. I know Eibachs drop them more (I think 1.75-2.0in), H&R drop 1.0/1.0. Don't know anything about Neuspeed.

Here's a pic of the Comptechs:

You may want to do a search to find more info.
Old 05-22-2001 | 03:58 PM
teh Senior Instigator

From: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
IMO, eibach makes the best springs time and money can buy
Old 05-22-2001 | 04:00 PM
Banned

I have the H&R OE springs on the way to me as I type this.

All the springs you listed are of good quality and you shouldn't have any problems with them in the future.

Comptech - good drop 1.5/1.0, gives a "raked" look to the car

Eibach - lower drop 1.75/1.5, gives a more even drop all around to the car

H&R OE - subtle drop 1.0/1.0, like the Eibachs an even drop but not as low or as stiff

Neuspeed - don't know, probably a lot like the Eibachs I am guessing

You really can't go wrong with any choice, just a preference of what you want:

lower and raked look - Comptech, subtle and even - H&R, lower and even - Eibachs

The choice is your and knowledge is power and all those of sayings!

------------------
avengerjr
2001 CL-S Satin Silver / Ebony Interior / Non-Navi[*] spoiler , wheel locks , 20% tint , fenderwell trim[*] mud guards , winter floor mats , full nose mask[*] Xephyr CAI
Old 05-22-2001 | 04:01 PM
Banned

You always say that!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CLpower:
IMO, eibach makes the best springs time and money can buy</font>

------------------
avengerjr
2001 CL-S Satin Silver / Ebony Interior / Non-Navi[*] spoiler , wheel locks , 20% tint , fenderwell trim[*] mud guards , winter floor mats , full nose mask[*] Xephyr CAI
Old 05-22-2001 | 04:05 PM
Rod
Drifting

I've been asking many questions also to help me decide between springs, namely the Comptechs and the Pro-Kit. If you're going for minimal problems, Comptechs seem to be the way to go. Pro-Kit users don't have complaints either, but they do have to baby the car more since these springs drop the car more than the Comptechs.
As far as looks go, that's personal preference, do a search and look though the different pics. The Comptechs give you a decent drop with a raked look and the Pro-Kit is a more even and low look.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoldTypeS:
I have the Comptechs. They drop the car 1.25in up front and 1.0in in back

</font>
GoldTypeS, is this the amount of drop that you actually measured or are you going by what is on the Comptech website? I know that's what it says on their website, but many have reported that the actual drop is actually more than that. From what I hear the drop is about 1.75" up front and 1.25" for the rear with the Comptechs. The Pro-Kit is about 2" all around.
Old 05-22-2001 | 04:15 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rod:

GoldTypeS, is this the amount of drop that you actually measured or are you going by what is on the Comptech website? I know that's what it says on their website, but many have reported that the actual drop is actually more than that. From what I hear the drop is about 1.75" up front and 1.25" for the rear with the Comptechs. The Pro-Kit is about 2" all around.
</font>
I think the more drop is because all the springs were made for the V6 Accords, and our CL's are heavier so they drop a little more than stated on webpages.

------------------
avengerjr
Old 05-22-2001 | 04:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Of course, I like the look of my Eibachs.

www.john-michelle.com/cl.htm

------------------
White/Black 2001 CL-S (3rd sold in Austin)
- navigation, moonroof visor, upgraded cupholder, Acura spoiler
- Polarg m-6, tint 20% rear, 35% sides, Eibach springs
- 18" Racing Hart C2000 Evo's w/Pirelli P7000's, V1 hardwired
- Polk Momo 12" sub w/Precision Power amp, AudioControl Epicenter
Old 05-22-2001 | 04:32 PM
Rod
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by avengerjr:
I think the more drop is because all the springs were made for the V6 Accords, and our CL's are heavier so they drop a little more than stated on webpages.

</font>
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, just wanted to clear things up somewhat.
Old 05-22-2001 | 04:48 PM
White Lightning

Ok,

Im also doing the same research. I asked one of my friends, He works at Miami Chassis and I told him that Im leaning towards to getting 19s rims, so he said to go with HR race springs which drops 1.75/1.75. The reason he said that is because even if i changed my mind about the 19s it will still look good with the 18s.

Also,
how many of you people here have gotten a camber correction kit? He specifically told me that it is recommended to save tread life on the tires.

Any suggestions?

------------------
NightHawk Black CL-S
Black Interior
Clear Headlights
Nokyo Halogen Bulb Artic White
AEM Cold Air Induction
Now Working to Get Springs
Old 05-22-2001 | 04:50 PM
teh Senior Instigator

From: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by avengerjr:
You always say that!!

</font>
cause no one has the experience or puts in the R&D that eibach does

it's the reason many high performance manufacturers use them
Old 05-22-2001 | 04:59 PM
Rod
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by X3.2CLSX:
Ok,

Im also doing the same research. I asked one of my friends, He works at Miami Chassis and I told him that Im leaning towards to getting 19s rims, so he said to go with HR race springs which drops 1.75/1.75. The reason he said that is because even if i changed my mind about the 19s it will still look good with the 18s.

Also,
how many of you people here have gotten a camber correction kit? He specifically told me that it is recommended to save tread life on the tires.

Any suggestions?

</font>
As far as I know, the camber kit isn't needed with the Comptechs, the dealer aligns the car to within factory specs with the Comptechs. I may also go with 19s or 18s so I'm probably going to go with the Comptechs, but I've been back-and-forth between the Comptechs and the Pro-Kit for a while now so I may change my mind any minute. I think that I'll get a drop of about 1.75" up front and 1.5" in the back, when I add my subs and amp(s). Either way, the Comptechs will look good with my stock wheels for now. And if and when I decide to go with 18s or 19s, they'll fit perfectly.
Old 05-22-2001 | 05:03 PM
Burning Brakes

With the Eibachs, they were supposedly able to get the front back into spec, but the camber is slighly out in the rear. He assured me it was only slightly out of spec and as long as I kept the tires rotated, it wouldn't be a big deal. Plus it helps the back end stay stuck in the twisties... I only did it about 6,000 miles ago, but I don't have any bad tire wear yet.

------------------
White/Black 2001 CL-S (3rd sold in Austin)
- navigation, moonroof visor, upgraded cupholder, Acura spoiler
- Polarg m-6, tint 20% rear, 35% sides, Eibach springs
- 18" Racing Hart C2000 Evo's w/Pirelli P7000's, V1 hardwired
- Polk Momo 12" sub w/Precision Power amp, AudioControl Epicenter
Old 05-22-2001 | 05:08 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

</font>
Not only is the above true, but the springs seem to "settle" after almost a year. So, they get even lower...

(sorry, didn't bring my calipers when I had a look)

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic
Old 05-22-2001 | 05:33 PM
Drifting

Do any of you people have any scraping problems? Any problems getting oil changes? I remember having a lot of issues with my integra, and I really dont want to go through that shit again.

Spiro

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 05-22-2001 | 05:56 PM
Team Owner

first of all, no matter if u use eibach or H&R or comptech... once u lower ur car.. and if u want to save ur tires then U MUST get camber kit(NOT THAT USEFUL EITHER)... who said with comptech spring u dont need camber kit?? alignment will help but not much...because ur tires will be in butterfly shape even tho u get an alignment... if u get camber kit it will only help up to 3 degress of inside ur tires.
it requires(LOWERED cars): ALIgnment.. Rotate tire more often, Camber KIT(optional)
and with WHATEVER BRAND of spring.. it wont rub... unless u use coilovers and lower it too much... then it will rub
Old 05-22-2001 | 06:55 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spiroh:
Do any of you people have any scraping problems? Any problems getting oil changes? I remember having a lot of issues with my integra, and I really dont want to go through that shit again.

Spiro

</font>
Not too many people will admit this, but if you run wider wheels and tires (in conjunction with the lowering), you will get rub.

So, if you stick with the stock size rubber -- no problemo.

If you go to wider wheels and wider tires, there is a point where there is some rubbing (if you are lowered).

[I didn't know if you planned on wheel or rubber changes. If you ever plan on doing the tire, wheel, and spring combo, find a member and take a very long ride...]

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Silver AEM CAI
Old 05-22-2001 | 07:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

</font>
I measured the drop myself but I did it right after they were installed prior to any settling that **may** have occurred. I say **may** because whatever settling did occur is very very small. I doubt they settled another .25-.5 inch but I don't have my original measurements so I can't prove it.

I consider the Comptechs to be a subtle drop like the H&R's. Most of my friends who aren't into cars have absolutely no clue that my car is dropped. When I point it out to them, they just say... "oh... it looks the same to me!"

Old 05-22-2001 | 07:44 PM
ACME sucks!

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I've read on this board that Comptech parts will not void a warranty. I have the Comptech springs. They were installed in March and I've had no problems since. Also, I still have the stock shocks on and the ride can be "bouncy" at times.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi/No Spoiler
Competch springs
35% tint
PIAA 19169 bulbs
K&N 33-2178 air filter

The Aviation Zone
Old 05-22-2001 | 08:12 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikeN:
I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I've read on this board that Comptech parts will not void a warranty. I have the Comptech springs. They were installed in March and I've had no problems since. Also, I still have the stock shocks on and the ride can be "bouncy" at times.

</font>
I finally got a ride and it is a bit "bouncy", but it isn't that harsh (at least not what I expected). I did have a chance to compare the lowered car next to my non-lowered car, and you can really tell. After looking at the lowered CLS and the pictures, I can say that there is a variation in ride height. If someone knows what the cause of this is (for sure), please let me know.

Is it the:

Gas load (the car I saw wasn't raked)
Springs settling with time
Other stuff in people's cars
Manufacturer consistency/quality issues.
Name your other here...

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Silver AEM CAI
Old 05-22-2001 | 08:19 PM
Rod
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:
After looking at the lowered CLS and the pictures, I can say that there is a variation in ride height. If someone knows what the cause of this is (for sure), please let me know.

Is it the:

Gas load (the car I saw wasn't raked)
Springs settling with time
Other stuff in people's cars
Manufacturer consistency/quality issues.
Name your other here...

</font>
No one has been able to give a sure answer to this question yet. Comptech told me that all their springs should drop the CLs by the same amount, but people have reported differences. They say it has nothing to do with consistency/quality issues b/c they claim to have asked people reporting variances in drop height to send their springs in to be checked, but no one has.
Old 05-22-2001 | 08:36 PM
Suzuka Master

No one has been able to give a sure answer to this question yet. Comptech told me that all their springs should drop the CLs by the same amount, but people have reported differences. They say it has nothing to do with consistency/quality issues b/c they claim to have asked people reporting variances in drop height to send their springs in to be checked, but no one has.</font>

Let's examine that last part -- about asking people to send in their springs to be checked. That sounds like a "great" offer from Comptech... However, I didn't see them saying, "We would like to settle this issue. We will pay for you (and select n users) to r/r your springs and will compensate you for your time, expense, and inconvenience.

Need I say more....

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Silver AEM CAI
Old 05-22-2001 | 09:49 PM
Rod
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:

Let's examine that last part -- about asking people to send in their springs to be checked. That sounds like a "great" offer from Comptech... However, I didn't see them saying, "We would like to settle this issue. We will pay for you (and select n users) to r/r your springs and will compensate you for your time, expense, and inconvenience.

Need I say more....

</font>
I was stating what they replied with, no doubt that it's BS. I really think Comptech is full of shit and would love to go with another company that actually made CL-S specific parts, but we currently have no choice. At least Xephyr is working on headers, so maybe things will be better after the CL-S and TL-S are out a bit longer. Comptech, like most every other company out there, has these BS answers. Of course using Accord parts on the CL is much cheaper for them, and since everyone's using the Accord parts, they have no reason to develop CL-S parts. The springs, for example, should be different to compensate for the added weight and for the fact that the front end is unbalanced from the factory. Measure any stock CL-S out there and the front end will be uneven from right to left. I think someone even mentioned that the front uses different springs for the left and right side, but I'm not sure about this. Does any aftermarket spring manufacturer take this into account?
Old 05-23-2001 | 03:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Comptech, like most every other company out there, has these BS answers. Of course using Accord parts on the CL is much cheaper for them, and since everyone's using the Accord parts, they have no reason to develop CL-S parts. The springs, for example, should be different to compensate for the added weight and for the fact that the front end is unbalanced from the factory</font>
AMEN brother...all the comp springs i've seen have been relly close except golds his was less raked in front still its not even i think most experience about 1.7/1.0 while he got about 1.4/1.0 i do have some hi res pics as examples many ...many many to be exact

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeS
H&R o.e.'s 1.0/1.0
AEM cold air w/bypass
---PIAA 19224----
satin silver metalic
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around
kill list
ITR.'98gt,GTP,contour SVT
GS-R,87 GT,supra...and more to come
-----------------
'98 ACCORD V-6 sedan
16" coupe wheels
215/55/16 nitto's
20% smoke titanium
black chrome kit
Old 05-23-2001 | 04:02 AM
Racer

Have 1275m. 24.5mpg.avg. Just got a G-Tech so will be checking 0-60,1/4m,60-0 braking times eventually. Have installed Denso Iridiums and have recieved but have yet to install, Eibach Pros,Eibach sways,and still waiting for Koni Yellows! Have designed and will also eventually install my own CAI!Am enjoying my Acura CL-S very much. Cheers!

[This message has been edited by blazerbob1 (edited 05-23-2001).]
Old 05-23-2001 | 04:52 AM
- daemonichris -

comptech springs give a "raked" look which i don't like... eibach pro-kits give it a nice drop... as do H&R sport springs (which im gonna get)... and neuspeed? don't have a clue

------------------
Acura 3.2CL Type-S w/ Navigation
Black/Ebony

- Pirelli P7000 Supersport 235/40ZR17
- Custom CAI
- Cleared Headlights
- Tint all around
- Mesh Grill
- Dual 12'' Alpine Type-S Subs
- Kenwood KAC-728S Amp
Old 05-23-2001 | 12:16 PM
Rod
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by typeR:
AMEN brother...all the comp springs i've seen have been relly close except golds his was less raked in front still its not even i think most experience about 1.7/1.0 while he got about 1.4/1.0 i do have some hi res pics as examples many ...many many to be exact

</font>
Yeah, but as much as I hate to, I think I'm gonna go with the Comptech springs for now. The only others I'd consider are the Eibachs, but I don't want to have too many of the worries that come along with dropping your car, so Comptechs seem to be the best choice right now to avoid any headaches and still give the car a noticeable drop. Hopefully I'll get a drop like Web Toker's with them, his car looks sweet with the Comptechs in pics. I don't know if it's the angles or how clean his ride is, but those are the pics that Comptech should use to advertise their springs and just about all of their products, since he has just about every damn Comptech thing. I'd wait for CL-S specific springs form Comptech or Eibach, but from the replies I've gotten from them, it's never going to happen, at least not any time soon, but we all know how full of it they are.
Old 05-23-2001 | 05:05 PM
Burning Brakes

I was stating what they replied with, no doubt that it's BS. I really think Comptech is full of shit and would love to go with another company that actually made CL-S specific parts, but we currently have no choice</font>
....snip...
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Comptech, like most every other company out there, has these BS answers. Of course using Accord parts on the CL is much cheaper for them, and since everyone's using the Accord parts, they have no reason to develop CL-S parts. The springs, for example, should be different to compensate for the added weight and for the fact that the front end is unbalanced from the factory. Measure any stock CL-S out there and the front end will be uneven from right to left. I think someone even mentioned that the front uses different springs for the left and right side, but I'm not sure about this. Does any aftermarket spring manufacturer take this into account?</font>
Comptech does it seems. Read Jens post within the following thread about how Comptech's springs have different rates for left and right side.

http://www.acura-cl.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002914.html

------------------
"01" CL Type-S
White\Black
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sways
17x7.5 BBS RX Rims
K&N Dropin AF
Navigation System
Burlwood Shifter
Guards+Fenderwell Trim
PIAA16969
Smokers Package
My Car
Old 05-23-2001 | 05:32 PM
Rod
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Al Uminum:
Comptech does it seems. Read Jens post within the following thread about how Comptech's springs have different rates for left and right side.

http://www.acura-cl.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002914.html

</font>
Well I guess Comptech just might be taking the car's inbalance into account, but it doesn't seem that anyone knows for sure and Comptech hasn't commented on it either. I'd think that if they really intended to distinguish between the two front springs, the least they could do is label them.
Old 05-27-2001 | 05:42 AM
Cruisin'

Hi Everyone,

thanks for all the input.

i finally got the eibach pro-kit installed.

i have about 2 fingers wheel gap on the front and 1 finger wheel gap at the rear.

here are the pics.

http://ca.y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/ac...view=t&.last=1
Old 05-27-2001 | 09:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Well I guess Comptech just might be taking the car's inbalance into account, but it doesn't seem that anyone knows for sure and Comptech hasn't commented on it either. I'd think that if they really intended to distinguish between the two front springs, the least they could do is label them.</font>
It's been awhile since I received my springs so I could be wrong BUT I seem to remember that the springs came in individual plastic bags. In the bags was a
ticket which I believe had the spring rate. This info was then used to determine which went on the left and which on the right. Again if mem serves. Anybody remember this when receiving their springs?

On a side note when my springs arrived one was missing. I called comptech (and also Tim) and both were extremely helpful. Comptech overnighted another spring to my dealer. I'm in Jersey and Comptech got the spring to NJ at Park Avenue the next day. I picked up my car that afternoon. I can't complain.

Good Luck

------------------
"01" CL Type-S
White\Black
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sways
17x7.5 BBS RX Rims
K&N Dropin AF
Navigation System
Burlwood Shifter
Guards+Fenderwell Trim
PIAA16969
Smokers Package
My Car
Old 05-27-2001 | 02:20 PM
ACME sucks!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Al Uminum:
It's been awhile since I received my springs so I could be wrong BUT I seem to remember that the springs came in individual plastic bags. In the bags was a
ticket which I believe had the spring rate. This info was then used to determine which went on the left and which on the right. Again if mem serves. Anybody remember this when receiving their springs?

On a side note when my springs arrived one was missing. I called comptech (and also Tim) and both were extremely helpful. Comptech overnighted another spring to my dealer. I'm in Jersey and Comptech got the spring to NJ at Park Avenue the next day. I picked up my car that afternoon. I can't complain.

Good Luck

</font>

All of mine had the ticket tags on them.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi/No Spoiler
Competch springs
35% tint
PIAA 19169 bulbs
K&N 33-2178 air filter

The Aviation Zone