Spring pics on the lower retainer needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2001, 09:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spring pics on the lower retainer needed!!

If anyone has a digicam, and has the Comptech springs, could you please do me a favor and post the pics of how the spring sits on the lower retainer on the front spring mounts (specifically on the passenger side in the front of the vehicle).

Basically I think I have found where my really, really annoying squeak is up front and needed to know how everyone else had the bottom of the spring sitting on the retainer. Basically there is little groove on the lower spring retainer that the bottom of the Comptech spring sit nicely into (but unfortunately I believe it is causing the annoying bird chirp I am getting in the front right of my car right in fron the of passenger). Unfortunately the driver side spring is not nesting the same way in the groove and it doesn't make the noise.

I also need some assistance in moving the spring out of that groove, but had one bitch of a time doing it yesterday and just gave up because the spring would not rotate out of it (except by very little). I jacked the car up (therefore taking all the weight off the front wheels) and removed the tire. THe spring is still so damned compresses it's not even funny so I couldn't move it much (just to rotate it like 3/10's of an inch out of the groove. Can anyone provide me help on the easiest, safest, and quickest (and let's not forget cheapest as well ) way to do this would be?

Thanks for any initial assistance anyone can provide.
Old 12-23-2001, 06:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Anyone???

You don't even have to have the pics; just looking for anyone who could tell me the proper way to readjust the spring.
Old 12-24-2001, 01:38 AM
Honkey

If you jack up your car by the corner your sway bar will keep the spring a little compressed. Try jacking both front tires off the ground and it ought to move around a little easier. I'm not familiar with comptech springs...there may be a chance they're still a little compressed so you may need a spring compressor to align them properly.
Old 12-24-2001, 01:45 AM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have the Comptech's, I have the Neuspeed's. Here is a couple of pics though, hope it helps!!!

Let me know if this answers your question.
Old 12-24-2001, 03:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the pics

Thanks for the pic, it does answer my question a little. Now it appears that the Comptechs are a little more compressed on the lower spring then what you have captured. I will post pics that I have taken to compare. It looks like the spring in the bottom pic is in the retainer like mine that is making the squeak (the 'u' shaped thing) but i'm still going to try and move the spring out of it to see if that cures the problem.

Are both the pics of the same wheel, or is one front left, and the other front right??

Again thanks for the pic.
Old 12-24-2001, 08:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JSuppi - I don't think that's your problem. When you did the springs, did you take the "coil rubbers" off the OE's, and reuse them on the Comptech's? The ones that go around the top area of the coil spring.

If not, that might be your noise issue. Post up, we'll try and help.

FYI - When I did my springs, I pushed the coil end as far as I could towards the damper seat perch "stop" at the bottom. I've got no noise at all.

Jim
Old 12-24-2001, 11:35 AM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Thanks for the pics

Originally posted by JSuppi
Thanks for the pic, it does answer my question a little. Now it appears that the Comptechs are a little more compressed on the lower spring then what you have captured. I will post pics that I have taken to compare. It looks like the spring in the bottom pic is in the retainer like mine that is making the squeak (the 'u' shaped thing) but i'm still going to try and move the spring out of it to see if that cures the problem.

Are both the pics of the same wheel, or is one front left, and the other front right??

Again thanks for the pic.
Hey, no problem with the pics. Just to let you know, both pics are of the front passenger side of the car. The top one was taken with me standing next to the bumper facing the shocks. The bottom pic was taken with me standing by the door facing the shock. My car was on a lift with no weight on the suspension, so that might explain the lack of compression. Glad I could help.
Old 12-24-2001, 02:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Well..

Originally posted by mackdaddy
JSuppi - I don't think that's your problem. When you did the springs, did you take the "coil rubbers" off the OE's, and reuse them on the Comptech's? The ones that go around the top area of the coil spring.

If not, that might be your noise issue. Post up, we'll try and help.

FYI - When I did my springs, I pushed the coil end as far as I could towards the damper seat perch "stop" at the bottom. I've got no noise at all.

Jim
I was under the impression that the rear ones where the only ones with the rubber 'stoppers' on them.