spring issue, need advice, Please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 06:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
spring issue, need advice, Please!

just got comptech springs installed yesterday. Now I'm hearing a minor but noticeable metal ping sound from the interior of the car when i hit a bump or drive into a driveway. Can't tell if its from the front or rear suspension. I'm going crazy, does anybody have any idea or has experienced this? oh yeah, do the front springs have rubber sleaves on the coil or just the back springs. I bought them used so I wouldn't know. any help would be appreciated, I just need some sort of advice...
Old 05-02-2002, 06:45 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Could it be tire rubbing????????
Old 05-02-2002, 06:49 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think that sound is normal..it happens in most lowered cars

it sounds koo to me.hehe
Old 05-02-2002, 06:55 PM
Former Sponsor

its definetly not rubbing, but it sounds like a metal cup with a spoon in it that occasionally makes a ping noise, get the idea? I think it may be the lack of rubber on the coils in the front but I really don't know. I'm gonna take the rubber off the stock springs and put em on the comptechs, any body experience this before?
Old 05-02-2002, 07:00 PM
on bin laden

i've heard of this before, from what i recall, it is normal.
Old 05-02-2002, 09:41 PM
Advanced

rondog,

I've definitely heard others decsribe the exact sound after getting most lowering springs. In each case the fix was to add the rubber on the coils. I bought the same springs new last July and only the rears come with rubber on the coils (might have something to do with our front to rear weight distribution?). I have yet to hear any metal noises going over bumps.

BTW, I read your other post on the TL forum about ride quality... after getting springs first, my ride was still very near stock unless I traveled on terrible roads (even then it wasn't bad). After a few months though, I noticed the ride became more bouncy over the same roads I traveled on a daily basis (shocks were starting to go). This year I put the Koni shocks on and at the softest setting it feels just like a stock CL-S I test drove. The ride quality improved and made me regret not having gotten shocks when I put the springs on.

Your car looks so much better now with the drop and I love your brushed aluminum interior.
Old 05-02-2002, 09:53 PM
Advanced

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the Comptechs have different rates on each spring. I don't know if this would cause the pinging sound, but maybe the rear right was installed on the left and vice versa. If you got them used were they labeled FR, FL, RR, & RL? Hope this helps.
Old 05-02-2002, 10:03 PM
Mugen Racing Team

Hey rondong, its fine, i notice weird sounds from the suspension after lowering. Asked around all my friends that have lowered their car and they say its normal, you'll notice the sound when going over very unlevel grounds like sudden sloping up and down, speed bumps etc. That is the price you gotta pay for looking good hehe.
Old 05-02-2002, 10:06 PM
Team Owner

I just checked my install photos.
All FOUR of my springs have those rubber sleeves on them.

As for the “PING” sound, I’ve only heard this once and that was the first time I drove it after I jacked up the REAR of the car when trying to align the bolts on my Neuspeed bar.

I think Jens told me this is normal and I may here it occasionally.

Shawn S
Old 05-02-2002, 10:20 PM
Former Sponsor

thanks for the info, sometimes I hearthe noise, and sometimes I don't. The springs had 10k miles on them already so maybe they are a bit bouncy. I called comptech and they told me to put the rubber on the front springs from the stock ones, which might help. I just don't need any more rattles or noises. Now I wish I would have gone to PAA to get springs instead of tryin to save a buck. too late now. AS for the different rate on the wrong side, I just threw them on cus the tags they were shipped with came off before I opened up the package. 2000-EX-V6-Cpe, thanks for the advice on the shocks, but I'm too skeptical now about any further modifications to my suspension. I just wish my car was "ping" free.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:15 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Shawn S
I just checked my install photos.
All FOUR of my springs have those rubber sleeves on them.
You're right Shawn. I forgot I took pics of the springs out of the box before going to PAA. All four have the rubber sleeves.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:19 PM
Drifting

Re: spring issue, need advice, Please!

Originally posted by rondog
just got comptech springs installed yesterday. Now I'm hearing a minor but noticeable metal ping sound from the interior of the car when i hit a bump or drive into a driveway. Can't tell if its from the front or rear suspension. I'm going crazy, does anybody have any idea or has experienced this? oh yeah, do the front springs have rubber sleaves on the coil or just the back springs. I bought them used so I wouldn't know. any help would be appreciated, I just need some sort of advice...
I had that same problem. Had to take it back twice and they finnaly fixed it. Not sure what the problem was.
Old 05-03-2002, 12:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Re: Re: spring issue, need advice, Please!

Originally posted by WebToker

I had that same problem. Had to take it back twice and they finnaly fixed it. Not sure what the problem was.
Whoa! Do you think they can help me? I know they are nice guys and all, I hope they will be understanding without charging me an arm and a leg. Its kinda weird but I've been sorta let down with these springs and its affecting my mood when I drive. I can't even turn on the radio since I'm listening for anything to go wrong. this friggin sucks, I really hope they can help me solve this so i can have some security and faith in my car.
Old 05-03-2002, 12:37 AM
Drifting

Re: Re: Re: spring issue, need advice, Please!

Whoa! Do you think they can help me? I know they are nice guys and all, I hope they will be understanding without charging me an arm and a leg. Its kinda weird but I've been sorta let down with these springs and its affecting my mood when I drive. I can't even turn on the radio since I'm listening for anything to go wrong. this friggin sucks, I really hope they can help me solve this so i can have some security and faith in my car.
I was the same way. Once I got it fixed it was the best mod for the buck and if I could only have one mod it would be the springs. Go back and have them check the isolators.
Old 05-03-2002, 01:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Re: Re: Re: Re: spring issue, need advice, Please!

I was the same way. Once I got it fixed it was the best mod for the buck and if I could only have one mod it would be the springs. Go back and have them check the isolators.
I'm assuming the isolators are the rubber sleaves that go on the coils. right?
Old 05-03-2002, 01:48 AM
Drifting

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: spring issue, need advice, Please!

I'm assuming the isolators are the rubber sleaves that go on the coils. right?

Yup...
Old 05-03-2002, 01:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: spring issue, need advice, Please!

Yup...
thanks, I'm gonna get them from the stock springs and give em a shot, thanks again and cross your fingers...
Old 05-03-2002, 02:05 AM
Drifting

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: spring issue, need advice, Please!

thanks, I'm gonna get them from the stock springs and give em a shot, thanks again and cross your fingers...
You know I think they had to get them from somethign else too. They didn't come with the springs I know that.
Old 05-03-2002, 05:59 AM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 2000-EX-V6-Cpe

You're right Shawn. I forgot I took pics of the springs out of the box before going to PAA. All four have the rubber sleeves.
Really? Mine didn't have the rubber sleeves for the front. I took the rubber sleeve from the stock and put them in the Comptech

Old 05-03-2002, 07:48 AM
Team Owner

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: spring issue, need advice, Please!

You know I think they had to get them from somethign else too. They didn't come with the springs I know that.
From what I remember about the install, Jens took those rubber pieces off the stock springs and used some kind of adhesive to attach them to the Comptech ones.
I’m not sure if it was TWO or FOUR, but I know I saw him doing this.
And like I said, all four have them on my car.

Shawn S
Old 05-03-2002, 08:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: spring issue, need advice, Please!

Originally posted by Shawn S
From what I remember about the install, Jens took those rubber pieces off the stock springs and used some kind of adhesive to attach them to the Comptech ones.
I’m not sure if it was TWO or FOUR, but I know I saw him doing this.
And like I said, all four have them on my car.

Shawn S
So did that fix the noise and was it don without taking the suspension apart?
Old 05-03-2002, 10:38 AM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: spring issue, need advice, Please!

So did that fix the noise and was it don without taking the suspension apart?
Thanks, Shawn.

The comptech springs come with rubber sleeves for the rear only. You need to get the front from the stock and put them the CT's. If your springs are already installed, you may have to remove verything if you want the sleeves to cover the very top coil since that is where the rubbing most likely occurs. Good luck, Ron.
Old 05-03-2002, 10:56 AM
Drifting

Do yall have a pic of what yall are talking about...what rubber thing??? Because my Acura dealer told me that they have done 3 CT spring installs on a CL, TL, and a NSX and they all made a noise they couldnt fix so they dont install them anymore. I wonder if this was the problem.

Thanks
Mark
Old 05-03-2002, 11:02 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by NOLACLS
Do yall have a pic of what yall are talking about...what rubber thing???
Pictures ???? Did someone say they want pictures

Old 05-03-2002, 12:02 PM
Honkey

Back in the day when I had springs in my car I had a similar problem. I believe the technical term for the problem is "spring slap." Anyhow, I just took plastic wire loom and put it around every other coil, but the factory rubber pieces will work better. If you need to take the spring apart to decompress it, AutoZone will rent you a spring compressor for free. Good luck
Old 05-03-2002, 12:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: spring issue, need advice, Please!

Originally posted by SilverKnight

Thanks, Shawn.

The comptech springs come with rubber sleeves for the rear only. You need to get the front from the stock and put them the CT's. If your springs are already installed, you may have to remove verything if you want the sleeves to cover the very top coil since that is where the rubbing most likely occurs. Good luck, Ron.
Once again, thanks for the info, this board is a great help in owning this car. anyway, i called PAA and they said I would have to disassemble and reinstall to get the sleaves on. Since it isn't doing any mechanical damage, I'm just gonna wait for the shocks to go, then replace them along with the rubber sleaves. I might even go as far as taking off the front wheels and prying the coils apart just enough to slip the sleaves on. Whadya think? I feel a little better now, but damn, this should be in Chods Faq, don't you think?
Old 05-03-2002, 01:23 PM
Drifting

Shawn...you da man thanks for the pics

Rondog...go do it now so you can see if that is infact the problem...dont wait.....besides...i want to know:P :P
Old 05-03-2002, 02:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by NOLACLS
Shawn...you da man thanks for the pics

Rondog...go do it now so you can see if that is infact the problem...dont wait.....besides...i want to know:P :P
I supose you want me to eat hamster food too. For real though, i want to find out mif this is the problem, but I am going to wait a bit. it'll cost me $70 to reinstall the springs and get a new alignment. The noise didn't show up today so I'm still thinkin about it. I'll let you know
Old 05-03-2002, 03:47 PM
Drifting

I supose you want me to eat hamster food too. For real though, i want to find out mif this is the problem, but I am going to wait a bit. it'll cost me $70 to reinstall the springs and get a new alignment. The noise didn't show up today so I'm still thinkin about it. I'll let you know

Heh I was just fooling but yes do let me/us know. I am thinking of lowering the car but I dont want to have to hear a funny clank all the time. Keep us updated