Space in back seat...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 12:16 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Space in back seat...

Hello guys/gals,

I'm trying to find out if any of you have a child that has a car seat in the back seat. If so let me know. I'm trying to find out if i'll have sufficient amount of space for a car seat w/ a child. So i'll know what i need to do as far as keeping my CL-S or getting the TL. Let me know. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:57 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would probably be best to get a TL just for the easy access with the rear doors. I would think it would be a b**** to try to put your kid in a seat back there. Otherwise, I think there is adequate space for a car seat.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:03 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
another reason i traded my cl for an rl, preparing for the future and plus the dogs are more comfortable in teh back now
Old 07-15-2004, 01:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes it does fit

i've put a child seat ppleny of times on either side of the car
Old 07-15-2004, 01:08 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
it does but put a pad or something under it.

some of the edges dig into our leather.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:33 PM
Advanced

It is pretty easy to put a kid in the back seat. I've been doing it for about 1 year now and it hasn't bothered me. Plus once they get like 3 you don't have to put them in anymore since they can do it themselves.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:09 PM
Joisey Commuter

I agree: it's relatively easy to tuck a kid or two back there. My oldest goes in the passenger side and I move the seat forward so he can't kick it (too much). And my wife is still comfortable in the passenger seat. Just don't plan on putting a seat with a separate base in those seat wells; they're pretty deep.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:35 PM
Casual Observer

I have an 11 month old and it hasn't really been a problem.
It's easier in a 4-door but its not so bad that you need to change cars over it.
The only rough spot is when the child is just about to switch from rear-facing to forward-facing car seats. At that point, s/he is getting kind of heavy to lift in and out of the rear-facing position.

However, if you are looking for a good excuse to get a new car, this will probably be the best one to convince the significant other that you are going to find.

"But honey, I must have a brand new TL, its for the safety of our child"
Old 07-15-2004, 05:51 PM
Racer

Re

Thanks everyone. I guess you were all right. This is a good excuse for me to get the new TL which is soooo awesome. However, i was also weighing out the options as far as keeping my CL b/c i'm sure it would be room enough, the only thing would be getting the baby in and out and by it being a 2dr. coupe it would prolly be alittle bit more challenging.

I've only had my CL a year and the baby is due late Oct. so i guess i still have time. That's another thing, i guess if i were to do something i need to go ahead and do it, before i put too much money into the CL. Again since i've only had it for a year, it wouldn't be as bad as if i were to have had it like 2 or 2 1/2 yrs. and having to make a decision. What do you guys think?

Thanks again
Old 07-15-2004, 05:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
easy
Old 07-15-2004, 06:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes, you can, but while your child is still rear-facing, there may be a bit of a problem due to the slope of the seat itself. I have no direct experience with a rear-facing seat in a CL, so you're on your own. Size wise, there should be no reason it won't fit, but you may have to use rolled up towels or other such padding to level out the car seat due to the slope. No problems if your child can face forward (I forget what age now).

A car seat was my first "mod" to the CL.

Something you may not know. Seats are being made now that have a smooth bottom free of pressure points and which are much kinder to seats, especially leather. I have one myself, and I highly recommend them (Brand is Evenflo, models seem to change frequently, so I won't be of much help). Check around, you should be able to find one. The one I have seems to fit perfectly with the angle between the seat bottom and seat back.

If you can't, they also make these thick, but flexible mats to go under the seat to help protect your car's upholstery.

Whatever you get, you should definitely put a towel or other padding between the child seat and the car's seat for added protection.

Lastly, I found that with how far forward the front seats move when you flip them forward, it's possible to get yourself entirely within the vehicle and close the door while you buckle in your child. Handy for rainy days!

Congratulations on your up-coming arrival.