Some buttwipe scraped my door handle

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002, 02:11 PM
Masshole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some buttwipe scraped my door handle

Went apple picking today with my g/f. When I came back to my car, there was a goddamn scrape on my driver's side door handle like so:

I can only imagine how much damage they would have done had their door hit on the body and not the door handle. The picture really doesn't do justice to how hard they must have opened their door. The paint looks like it is completely gone in one spot in the middle of the scrape. I would just love to beat the asshole senseless who did this... fucking people in this world are so damn careless, they just don't care about anyone's property.

My question is what options do I have here besides leaving it be, because I really dont' want to do that. If I have the dealer patch up that area with some paint, what'll that end up costing me? Or could I just get the paint and DIY?
Old 09-29-2002, 02:36 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Try a little GS27!
Old 09-29-2002, 03:48 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to see that man. I'll walk you thru what you need to do to do it right; I've done this many times. You will need some stuff from an auto parts store that sells paint to body shops.

Using masking tape cover everything around your handle leaving only it exposed. Using 400 grit or 600 grit sandpaper ( use the highest number that will do the job, the finer the grit the better) sand the area smooth. Close your eyes to check it. Work slowly and carefully and keep the paper wet, keep dipping it in a bucket of water. At the store buy a half of a pint of your car's color, a Prevail sprayer, and a spray can of a good clear. Tell him what you are doing as he may mix up your paint with clear (the shine) in it for you. Remember our cars are painted a color coat that is flat, followed by the clear coat. Pour some in your sprayer and practice the use of it, you want to get the feel of it. Spray light coats! Use a piece of sheetmetal or cardboard. Now do your handle. At this point you are fixed but have no shine. If you messed up, let it dry and sand smooth again and repaint. Two or three light coats should do it. Now wait an hour and spray your clear, one or two light coats again. Now you should be looking good but the clear might be not be as factory smooth as you like. Wait a few days then buff it down with something with a title like Meguires "Clearcoat Prep and Swirl Remover". You should be good to go. Wait a month to wax it. Good luck.