small accident.......question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003 | 04:06 PM
Senior Moderator

small accident.......question.

I accidently bumped this girl in front of me last month in my civic (she had a cavalier). Anyways, no damage at all to both of the cars, I was distracted and forgot I had an automatic ( First day I bought the civic. Anyways, I let go of the brake...normally my car would have been in neutral in my Z) Anyways, the girl was 16 and insisted cops come and file a report. They did, said "NO DAMAGE" to both cars. NO tickets were issues. Fckn bitch should have let it go...I get a call from my insurance yesterday about the "accident" I just got a voicemail. I'll call them on monday to inquire what the call was about.

Can my insurance rates go up?
What if she is trying to scam something? The report clearly stated "no damage" to either car.
Old 12-27-2003 | 05:05 PM
Suzuka Master

She could have been hurt... hard to believe. I have been on the taking end from a 'small' bump and it actually did mess my shoulders & neck up for a while.

If you do talk with the girl, tell her that if she pursues a minor claim, even if the accident was not her fault, it still goes against her having had an accident. Also remind her that if in future she really gets hurt in an auto accident, she may not get much in a claim since they can say that some of the injury was in part due to the minor accident with you...

That may get her thinking.
Old 12-27-2003 | 05:45 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Re: small accident.......question.

Originally posted by synth19

Can my insurance rates go up?
What if she is trying to scam something? The report clearly stated "no damage" to either car.

Yup, they will go up.

I bumped some lady in my Cherokee. She had a Civic. As bad as it sounds, there was no damage to either vehicle. The cops even said that at the scene but she insisted she was in pain and had to be taken to the hospital.

Long story short, I got sued by her. It didn't matter whether the vehicles were alright. It depends on what the doctor says. If she went to the hospital, your chances are slim.

Good luck dude.
Old 12-27-2003 | 06:53 PM
Race Director

Similar thing happened to me, but um. I NEVER HIT HER.

she came to a complete stop in the middle of the road. i sat there for a while like.. wtf.. got fed up and drove around her (wasnt even close to her)

2 hours later i have cops at my door saying i did a hit and run. cops and insurance both say there was no way i hit her (for the amount of damage to her car and none to mine) and even though, they said i didnt hit her, she still sued.

and she still got money. and then the passenger sued as well

They gave them 1/3 of what they were asking to drop the lawsuit.. instead of fighting it in court, and then the insurance raised my rates.
Fucking insurance companies.. always looking out for the customer
Old 12-27-2003 | 07:10 PM
Senior Moderator

^ whoh. that's fcked up.... I'll just have to wait and see what happens when I talk to the insurance on Monday. But no way some 16 year old girl can be this evil.
Old 12-27-2003 | 07:26 PM
The Third Ball

For a 16 year old girl who hasnt even been driving a year, requesting the cops was the right thing for her to do. She was being responsible and covering her bases, she was also probably nervous as fuck.

Just hope her parents are asses, those would be the ones to try and scam you, not her.

If insurance tries to up rates for a no damage accident, then you speak to amanager and make a serious threat to move to a new insurance company.

Shit happens, I think the kid did the right thing.
Old 12-27-2003 | 07:50 PM
Senior Moderator

^ yep, I do agree with you. I probably would have done the same thing at 16.
Old 12-27-2003 | 08:43 PM
The Third Ball

Stupid 30 minute edit rule, I meant to say hope parents AREN'T asses.
Old 12-28-2003 | 08:57 PM
-S namyaC-

So did she say anything to the police about being hurt? If not, how thew fock can she prove now, x months later, that it was that incident that caused the damage?

She really can't. It could be anything now. Ran into a wall, fell up some stairs, etc. Sounds like BS to me.
Old 12-28-2003 | 09:15 PM
DC Cruiser

Depends on your insurance and your carrier, and if she has witnesses. Regardless of the police report, it truly depends upon what she told her insurance company about the accident, and them getting in contact with you.

I have USAA, and got them involved to help me with an accident in which someone hit me (in a parking lot, called the police cuz she left the scene, refusing to stop). No damage to her car, small hairline scratch on mine. They told me that no formal report would be put into their (USAA's) computer, and that my insurance will not increase as a result.

Ask your insurance company if your rates will go up, they will be the only ones who can tell you for sure-