Should I sell my mods and buy a motorcycle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 10:36 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I sell my mods and buy a motorcycle?

Last summer, I was planning to get my bike license and buy a bike. Unfortunately, my school schedule conflicted with the bike lessons schedule. Therefore, I forgot about it and modded my CL-S instead.

Yesterday, I got my bike learner's permit. Today, I went out comparison-shopping for riding gear. Lessons begin next Thursday...by Sunday I should be able to legally ride on the road during daylight hours accompanied by a rider with a full license. I should have my bike license by mid-late June...give or take a week or two.

So, what do you guys think? It's hard to let go of the s/c, but I can't afford a bike unless I sell that and some other mods
Old 05-18-2004, 10:58 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I want a custom chopper sooooooooo bad, but I can't get one! I promised my parents that I wouldn't buy one!
Old 05-19-2004, 12:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
How much will your budget be???

BC may be dangerous running around on a bike. Lots of Asian women in big cars.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:43 AM
Instructor

Try both, try to keep your mods and still get a bike...
Old 05-19-2004, 02:28 AM
aka gimmesomesugar

Yeah, pretty dangerous around here...but I'll carefully choose my times to ride.

Can't keep both...I don't want to spend any more money than I have to.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:58 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get the bike

It was the best decision I ever made. Just be warned you will want a bigger one after you get one and you will want to mod it just like you did with your car
Old 05-19-2004, 08:12 AM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

bike

too risky. Lots of people I Know had accidents, even with death involved.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:14 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Take the MSF course if you haven't already. You have to have a totally different mind set on a bike. 50% of the drivers don't see you and don't care.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:41 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want one. But, the competence of the general driving population ...
Old 05-19-2004, 08:42 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I would personally love to get a sport bike, but I've heard too many horror stories. A real good friend of mine has laid out his bike a few times resulting in injuries. He still rides, but I'm a bit scared to be honest.

One of my mom's friends bought a bike for her son and he hit some pedestrian guy. He became a vegetable (the pedestrian) while my mom's friend's son escaped with minor injuries. But now he has to live with the fact he destroyed some guy's life permanently, along with his friends' and family's.

That's what my mom told me when I asked her if I could get a sport bike to ride on campus since parking is a bitch. And since I do crazy shit with anything that has an engine, I know I will end up hurting myself and/or somebody else.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:46 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Everyone has stories of guys killed/mortally wounded on bikes. There are more car wrecks than bike wrecks. More auto deaths than bike deaths. Keep your wits about you. Most of the stories of maimed riders come from non-riders. Know where and when to ride, take a safety course. Be aware of your surroundings. DON'T RIDE IN OTHER DRIVER'S BLIND SPOTS!

If you ride responsibly, you will be fine. If ride irresponsibly, then you pay the consequences.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:08 AM
6 speed...

Originally posted by Pure Adrenaline
One of my mom's friends bought a bike for her son and he hit some pedestrian guy. He became a vegetable (the pedestrian) while my mom's friend's son escaped with minor injuries. But now he has to live with the fact he destroyed some guy's life permanently, along with his friends' and family's.
wtf does this have to do with riding a motorcycle?

I mean, would the outcome have been that different if your mom's friend had been driving a buick?

hell, your mom's story is more of an argument against pedestrians, than bikes.

("a friend's brother became a pedestrian and then one day he was mowed down by an 18 wheeler while crossing the street. dude, walking kills! and he was a good walker, too! took all the walking classes and was thinking about turning pro. I'll *never* walk - I know too many people who've been hurt or killed walking...")

as gto2050 says, most of the stories come from non-riders. believe me, those of us who have been riding for a while have heard 'em all.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:52 AM
Homeless

Originally posted by gto2050
Everyone has stories of guys killed/mortally wounded on bikes. There are more car wrecks than bike wrecks. More auto deaths than bike deaths. Keep your wits about you. Most of the stories of maimed riders come from non-riders. Know where and when to ride, take a safety course. Be aware of your surroundings. DON'T RIDE IN OTHER DRIVER'S BLIND SPOTS!

If you ride responsibly, you will be fine. If ride irresponsibly, then you pay the consequences.

After you ride a few times, you'll not think twice about that supercharger...until winter hits.

Buy the bike & BE CAREFUL.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:40 AM
Instructor

I agree with getting a bike; I've owned seven of them at different times of course. Two years after I bought the CL I got my most recent bike (a Triumph which I've modded more than any vehicle I've ever owned).

Couple words of advice--start small with something you can manage. You can, and probably will, up size at some point. I'd suggest a multi-purpose or standard bike, like a Honda Nighthawk 750 or Triumph Bonneville 800. These have enough horsepower, stopping power and handling to let you enjoy riding a bike without challenging your reflexes and abilities. They're also not that expensive and are highly reliable, which as an Acura owner, you must like. After you've owned one and ridden for a while you'll know better what you want out of a bike---sport, chopper, cruiser, touring. Also, suggest that you consider buying used. Many folks get a bike and keep it only a year or two and you can get great buys as a result. Take the motorcycle safety course, basic and later on, the experienced course. Either one will teach you things you will probably never learn otherwise. Finally, wear a helmet. Having said all that, enjoy.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:32 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

Yeah, I'm shopping around for riding gear right now. Probably go with an Arai RX-7 Corsair helmet, AlpineStar TZ-1 jacket, and a japanese brand for the gloves(starts with an N? model is NRG32) to start me off while I commence professional lessons next thursday.

I pretty much have my heart set on a Honda CBR 600RR. One of the local dealerships has a clearance on '03 models. There's a black one listed for $9999 CAD(just under $7300 USD). Of course, there's always used.

Well, I'm an asian dude. I'm 5'8" weighing in at 165 lbs. Have you ever seen one of us on a standard bike? Looks really lame...this is where I draw the line at sensibility....I don't plan on going fast...just cruising to enjoy the experience...and to look cool
Old 05-19-2004, 12:37 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Hear, hear....there are more bikers than meets the eye here. I hate it when you tell someone you have a bike and they IMMEDIATELY launch into some gory tale about a bike accident. Mind you, they have never seen it but they heard from a "reliable" source. Ride responsibly (MUCH more so than a car), don't drink and drive and motorcycles can be a great way to relax and unwind.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:37 PM
6 speed...

Originally posted by Satin Slayer
Yeah, I'm shopping around for riding gear right now. Probably go with an Arai RX-7 Corsair helmet, AlpineStar TZ-1 jacket, and a japanese brand for the gloves(starts with an N? model is NRG32) to start me off while I commence professional lessons next thursday.

I pretty much have my heart set on a Honda CBR 600RR. One of the local dealerships has a clearance on '03 models. There's a black one listed for $9999 CAD(just under $7300 USD). Of course, there's always used.

Well, I'm an asian dude. I'm 5'8" weighing in at 165 lbs. Have you ever seen one of us on a standard bike? Looks really lame...this is where I draw the line at sensibility....I don't plan on going fast...just cruising to enjoy the experience...and to look cool
do what makes you happy, but just bear in mind a couple of things:

you're probably gonna drop your bike at least once while you're learning to ride and getting some miles under your belt and replacing the fairings on a sport bike can be muy expensive (just ask your insurance agent). standards and naked bikes seem more crash worthy to me (one of the reasons why my track bikes consist of a bandit 400 and a dr-z400 motard).

the gear you've listed looks good (although I don't recognize the gloves), but I didn't notice any pants - either leather or textile - or boots on your list. I'd suggest both.

while I'm not saying don't ride in jeans, I will tell you, from my own personal experience, that denim doesn't survive very well vs. asphalt/concrete and road rash can be quite painful (particularly when you have to have the area debrided). for boots, I'd at least find something with sturdy leather that covers the ankles - like a pair of work boots or the like.

as far as lame looks are concerned, my first street bike was a '78 honda cm400t. talk about a ghetto ride...
Old 05-19-2004, 05:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Get a bike, I think you will be happy. Don't let everybody on here scare you. I am not suggesting it, but I did not take any classes or even get my motorcycle license until I had alrealy had my bike for 2 months riding it back and fourth to work every day. In most cases they are not near as dangerous as everybody says they are. I ride in heavy traffic on part of my route to work and cars stay away from the Yamaha much better than the CLS.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:05 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

I went back to the shop today. The gloves are made by Nankai...NRG-32/33. I may go with Alpinestar just because the jacket will be that brand as well.

I've already decided to go with the Alpinestar Stunt textile jacket...just because it's a lot more affordable than the leather...also because it's more flexible and I won't care if I scuff it up.

The boots will come after I begin the lessons...for sure before the road test. Everybody says it is safer to have but isn't that big of a deal...just a must have on the road test.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:25 PM

You should do whatever you damn well please, so long as it will make you happy.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:54 PM
6 speed...

I've already decided to go with the Alpinestar Stunt textile jacket...just because it's a lot more affordable than the leather...also because it's more flexible and I won't care if I scuff it up.

The boots will come after I begin the lessons...for sure before the road test. Everybody says it is safer to have but isn't that big of a deal...just a must have on the road test.
sounds good. be aware when purchasing textile gear that much of it is "one use only," meaning that, if you go down in it, it will most likely need to be replaced, whereas leather can often be repaired (multiple times).

the advantages of textile are cost (unless you're looking at aerostitch, which cost about the same as a decent set of 1 piece leathers), light weight, and (in some cases) not as hot.

boots prolly aren't that big a deal, but if you ever need them, you'll be glad you're wearing them (like any other piece of gear).

I personally use:

syed custom 1 piece leather suit (street and track)
tecknic 7 plate back protector (street)
bohn pro race soft cell back protector (track)
oxtar tcs evo ti race boots (street and track)
teknic violator gloves (street and track)
shoei z-two helmet (street)
shoei x-eleven helmet (track)

I occasionally use an agv vented jacket and joe rocket vented gloves in extremely hot weather with jeans and work boots.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:12 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

Yeah, the weather is certainly getting warmer up here. I will be getting a leather jacket after lessons...the textile jacket is just for the lessons...given that there won't be any riding above 60 km/hr.

Yesterday, I tried the leather jacket on. It's like an oven in there with the zipper up.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:16 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

Need money for riding gear

My GReddy E-manage and Payn Max Boost Pulley are for sale...

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hreadid=141267
Old 05-19-2004, 08:20 PM
1999 CL3.0

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the reason theres more car accident deaths is because most

people drive cars and not bikes.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:22 PM
Beware of leakage

GEt what you want man. I have to lean more towards the safety of the CLS. A freind of mine crashed and was killed last year, very unfortunate. a lot of my other friends have them and most are selling out of them now, due to accidents.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:23 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Eggplant-EX
BC may be dangerous running around on a bike. Lots of Asian women in big cars.

Lotz of Caucasian women drivers can't drive either just like Asian moms in big cars. In fact, Asian women drivers at least can afford to pay for other party's damages and don't try to get away from being at fault while many Caucasian women drivers with shitty cars often try to deny it.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:35 PM
Homeless

Slayer...Don't go crazy with the gear either dude...

Arai is a great helmet, but not cheap. Shoei is great too...as long as they're DOT approved, you're safe. I have a AGV helmet with dual rear air vents...$139. Don't go overboard with the expensive stuff cause you're gonna kick yourself when it gets scratched up.

http://www.agv.com/AGV%202004%20U.S.%20catalog.pdf

Also, go to www.MAWonline.com

They often will reduce prices, price-match, etc on almost any item. Check their clearance section...they got lots a shit CHEAP. Cheapest helmets I've seen. Don't forget ebay too.

FWIW, that 600RR is a lot of fuckin bike for a n00b on 2 wheels. I would reconsider. Even after 10 years+ of riding I make mistakes and that little missile will make you pay HELL for any small errors.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:40 PM
Drifting

No, you shouldn't. And being REAL CAREFUL doesn't mean shit. Other people will get you. Here is what happened to me very careful best friend.

While on his harley and with the right of way, he was hit by a drunk driver at noon on a friday, the day before his sons wedding.

Pete was launched and actually "flew" over four lanes of traffic, WITH a center lane divider that was as wide as a car lane. He landed in the grass on the opposite side.

The Harley was broken in half.

Medivac heliocopter ride, which lasted about five minutes, cost over $4,000.

Nine hours of emergency room surgery, $87,000.

Broken collarbone.

Three broken ribs.

Arm broken above wrist.

Arm broken below elbow.

Tricepts and bicepts seperated from ligaments, 200 stitches to correct.

Broken hip. Needed to be replaced.

Broken knee, ditto. Had to inset a piece of titanium 15" long in thigh.

Leg broken between knee and ankle. Had a "halo" fixture that had 12 stainless steel pins going THROUGH the leg for an entire year.

Crushed ankle, had to be replaced.

Rehab took 3.5 YEARS just to get him to go back to work for two hours a day just to push paperwork.

Now, he works 40 hours a week, walks with a cane, and can cut his small home lawn in three tries with two rest periods.

Bottom line cost for five years of medical treatment: ~$525,000, and five years of his life is basically gone.

Now, you tell me. Does that answer your question?
Old 05-19-2004, 08:58 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Stories like that freak me out!
Old 05-19-2004, 09:11 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

Originally posted by chris3240929
Slayer...Don't go crazy with the gear either dude...

I can't help it. My philosophy is "if I'm going to go for it...go all the way"...no half-ass attempts.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:14 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

My goal is not to ride fast. The only thing I want out of this is to go cruising within posted speed limits...of course I'd want to look cool doing it.

If I ever get an urge for enthusiastic riding www.bcsportbikes.com has weekly events at the tracks.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:19 PM
Health's Angels

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh man... I if lived in BC, I would be on a KLR 650 sooo fast! Urban assault and good for some back roading. Around $5k Cdn new.

Old 05-19-2004, 10:16 PM
It's Go-Time.

You went from modding to sellling all your parts, then back to modding and now a bike?? If you can afford it, why not.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:10 PM
Homeless

I can't help it. My philosophy is "if I'm going to go for it...go all the way"...no half-ass attempts.
Nobody is saying don't 'go all the way', just be smart about what you buy.

Gear is essential for riding, but just because it's expensive, doesn't mean it's the best either.

Remember* there's nothing worse than having $2,500 in brand new gear, a spankin new bike and stalling at a red light. Or worse, stall & fall over going 2 MPH. Be careful.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:31 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

Originally posted by chris3240929
Nobody is saying don't 'go all the way', just be smart about what you buy.

Gear is essential for riding, but just because it's expensive, doesn't mean it's the best either.

Remember* there's nothing worse than having $2,500 in brand new gear, a spankin new bike and stalling at a red light. Or worse, stall & fall over going 2 MPH. Be careful.
Yeah, I know...I just like going overboard to compensate for my deficiencies...at least I'll look good when I make a fool of myself

I decided not to spend the coin on the leather...cheaping out on textile...fits better and offers me better mobility. Probably save the helmet for later too...use a quantam or lower model for the lessons and practice.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:39 PM
Homeless

Yeah, you can get a decent helmet for $100...and you're gonna scratch it up anyhow. You should see the damage a beetle does at 60 MPH...SPLATTTT!!!

The AGV's are excellent helmets & very reasonable. If you can find a cheaper one with the air foils on the rear, get it. During windy weather, it'll reduce wind-strain on your neck and help you keep your head straight, literally.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:54 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

Not too many places up here carry AGV. The shops mostly stock Arai, Shoei, and Shark.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:03 PM
Cruisin'

I have a Honda RC51 and a Super Hawk. You should consider a First Gear Speed jacket. Part textile, part leather and well vented. I have two....one red/black, the other gray/black.

eBay is a great place to find deals on cycle clothing. Got the Speed jackets there as well as a Alpinestars Hero leather jacket. The honda leather motorcycle gloves are pretty nice. I got mine from eBay too. My helmet is a AGV X-vent.

Good luck!
Old 05-21-2004, 02:36 PM
4th Gear

I haven't been on this forum for a while and this topic caught my eye. You can mod out your car as much as you want but there's is always someone willing to spend more to get better things. Get the Bike and enjoy the thrills of riding. I say start out with something you feel you can handle, and of course be careful.

I really can't say much I ride the king of all bikes---HAYABUSA
Old 05-21-2004, 07:57 PM
Homeless

Not too many places up here carry AGV. The shops mostly stock Arai, Shoei, and Shark.
Try that link I posted.

Mawonline.

They've got just about everything you'll ever need & reasonably priced, too.

Quick Reply: Should I sell my mods and buy a motorcycle?