should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:39 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should I buy?

Since the 03 CL type-s 6 speeed came out i loved the car. I never bought one cause it was too expensive but now i can get one low mileage for 10K or less. I just wanted to know if there are any regrets from current owners. I come from owning 17 cars and most have been "young racy type" but i want to grow up from that scene and get something like the CLS. I have owned cars like s2000, mk2 gti, ser spec-v, mazdaspeed 3. (spec-v and ms3 were heavily modded) do you guys think I would miss the "lightness" and handling ,power/speed or aftermarket? I just bought my wife a used 02 tl base and i love the interior and the CL is the same so i figured i looked into and its really making me want to buy one now. What do you guys think?

Last edited by specvspeedfreak; 03-11-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:01 AM
Banned

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
I previously owned one, put in all the comptech goodies, then blew the motor from the charger... I was trying to find an alternative car to buy for over a year.

This January I bought another ABP CLS-6 and already got Comptech Headers, Icebox and exhaust... liked this car so much had to get another... it doesn't have the aftermarket of aforementioned cars, but there is some and expect more as our motors are getting swapped into Civics.

Just go with quality parts and a tune if you go FI and you should have a pleasant experience while moving away from the boy-racer image associated with those other cars.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,464 Likes on 3,058 Posts
If you're going to get a second gen CL, the 03 6 speed is the only way to go
Old 03-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Cruisin'

what does ABP stand for?
Old 03-11-2010, 09:55 AM
I Wanna Beer

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
Yes, you will miss the acceleration, handling, and performance of those other cars. The Acura won't compare no matter how much money you dump into it. Always going to be wrong-wheel drive and always going to handle like a 3446lb pig with FWD. Is it a great DD? Sure. But it will never replace the enjoyment you get from a more true sporty car.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:56 AM
I Wanna Beer

Originally Posted by specvspeedfreak
what does ABP stand for?
It's the color of the car.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Banned

its a color, Aegan Blue Pearl.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:12 AM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
get it.... like you said youre getting old for those other cars and wanna leave the scene... i got mine in the beginning of this year and love it so far... but i didnt get the S wish i would have though...
Old 03-11-2010, 10:16 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,381 Likes on 4,930 Posts
The 03 CL-S6 is a good car, however my background includes lighter vehicles. I do miss the lightness associated with those cars. They handled much better. Granted, the CL does things those cars didnt, but I still miss them tremendously and quite honestly I regret selling my Prelude (which was the second heaviest car Ive ever owned, only behind the CL).

What made you sell the S2k? If I were you Id be looking at a RWD vehicle instead of the CL. If you really dont care about FWD (and judging by your past vehicles, you dont), Id suggest the 7th gen Accord coupe. I honestly believe the interiors on those, especially with Navi, are much nicer then the CL. Yes, they are more expensive, but I think its a better car.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Cruisin'

my friend got into a small accident w/ the s2k and i hate cars that have been in accidents.... So we fixed it half way and i sold it. I had that car perfect right before the accident. It had a fresh engine in that thing and just fix the shaky clutch issue.

I'm really into handling.. but the 08' mazdaspeed had the speed. so now i want something in between.. i would like a turbo car again. But there is nothing in decent shape/mileage to get with the amount i want to spend. I am putting a cap on myself this time and it has to be a used car lol.. Im dealing with dealer w/ a black 03 type s 6 speed now w. 82k miles. they are asking 10.2K and i offered 8.5K. what do you guys think? good price?

also i was thinking gettting into a classic SER and making that a cheap project and having only a few mods on a CLS.
I also thought about getting another spec-v and doing a 3.5vq swap .. those run in the high 12's just with the basic swap...but that way i couldn't get a CLS.. the swap is expensive
Old 03-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Cruisin'

dealer is saying 8.7K ... good deal?
Old 03-11-2010, 11:08 AM
I Wanna Beer

I'd still try to talk them down a bit.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:11 AM

The CL-S isnt the best handling car on the road. Its a 3500lb boat that loves to sway, even with upgraded sway bars, sticky tires, and coil overs. Im all about handling as well. My first car, an 88 Civic hatch, was slow as hell in a straight line, but put it up against most other cars in tight, twisty roads and Id be gone. I am currently building another Civic, but this time with much more power to keep it competitive

I love the old SE-Rs. I was in my friends 91 240 a few years ago when we pulled up next to one. He looked to me and said "should I?". I was 17, so I responded hell yes. The SE-R was 2 cars ahead by the time we were out of the intersection. It was loaded down with 3 250lbs+ guys. I mean, it looked like an easy win because of the added weight, but it was hilarious.

Dont get me wrong, the CL can hold its own against most cars when its modded properly (Im talking suspension). But, it doesnt have the predictability and the flickability that my previous cars had. Ive had plenty of "oh, shit" moments driving the CL where in the same curve at the same speed in my Civic or even my heavy Prelude wouldve taken it with ease. If you want it just for a daily driver, then its perfect. If youre looking for an all out project car, look elsewhere.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TheWeez
I'd still try to talk them down a bit.
to what price? it comes with a oem nav ..and aftermarket yet unit and CD changer in the trunk< but i know that wouldn't raise the price
Old 03-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
The CL-S isnt the best handling car on the road. Its a 3500lb boat that loves to sway, even with upgraded sway bars, sticky tires, and coil overs. Im all about handling as well. My first car, an 88 Civic hatch, was slow as hell in a straight line, but put it up against most other cars in tight, twisty roads and Id be gone. I am currently building another Civic, but this time with much more power to keep it competitive

I love the old SE-Rs. I was in my friends 91 240 a few years ago when we pulled up next to one. He looked to me and said "should I?". I was 17, so I responded hell yes. The SE-R was 2 cars ahead by the time we were out of the intersection. It was loaded down with 3 250lbs+ guys. I mean, it looked like an easy win because of the added weight, but it was hilarious.

Dont get me wrong, the CL can hold its own against most cars when its modded properly (Im talking suspension). But, it doesnt have the predictability and the flickability that my previous cars had. Ive had plenty of "oh, shit" moments driving the CL where in the same curve at the same speed in my Civic or even my heavy Prelude wouldve taken it with ease. If you want it just for a daily driver, then its perfect. If youre looking for an all out project car, look elsewhere.

Im just debating cause i know i will love the CLS but and at the time i hope i don't get the mod bug cause this car is not about that... I hope im right and i do want something more sophisticated like the CLS
Old 03-11-2010, 11:28 AM
I Wanna Beer

to what price? it comes with a oem nav ..and aftermarket yet unit and CD changer in the trunk< but i know that wouldn't raise the price
The OEM navi is total shit. I'd actually pay more for a vehicle WITHOUT it. Costs $185 for an upgraded map DVD and it doesn't add much. Routing is the worst. "Take a right, take a left, take a right, take a left, take a right, take a left, take a right..." instead of just saying go down 8 blocks and take a right. Every time I use it I get there and realize there is a way that's 10x faster. Even with new maps it's still based on almost 10 year old technology. A $70 Garmin will do a MUCH better job.

Don't think a CD changer in the trunk is that great since the factory head unit had a 6 disc in the dash requiring no digging in the trunk to change discs. Also, chances are the aftermarket unit means the steering wheel volume and track buttons no longer work. Factory headunit with iPod hookup is the way to go.

KBB value in excellent condition for that car should be close to $12k. Why are they willing to go almost $4k under book value? Really look it over, get a Carfax, and take it to a trusted shop to have it looked over before you buy. Also see if they have the service history on that car.

You're only a bit over a year away from having to drop about $800-$1200 on the 105k service on that car. Make sure the clutch holds good too although there's no way to tell how long it'll last (seeing service records to check if it's been replaced would be helpful).
Old 03-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,464 Likes on 3,058 Posts
It's a good starting point, but you can always talk them down a bit, money talks
Old 03-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TheWeez
The OEM navi is total shit. I'd actually pay more for a vehicle WITHOUT it. Costs $185 for an upgraded map DVD and it doesn't add much. Routing is the worst. "Take a right, take a left, take a right, take a left, take a right, take a left, take a right..." instead of just saying go down 8 blocks and take a right. Every time I use it I get there and realize there is a way that's 10x faster. Even with new maps it's still based on almost 10 year old technology. A $70 Garmin will do a MUCH better job.

Don't think a CD changer in the trunk is that great since the factory head unit had a 6 disc in the dash requiring no digging in the trunk to change discs. Also, chances are the aftermarket unit means the steering wheel volume and track buttons no longer work. Factory headunit with iPod hookup is the way to go.

KBB value in excellent condition for that car should be close to $12k. Why are they willing to go almost $4k under book value? Really look it over, get a Carfax, and take it to a trusted shop to have it looked over before you buy. Also see if they have the service history on that car.

You're only a bit over a year away from having to drop about $800-$1200 on the 105k service on that car. Make sure the clutch holds good too although there's no way to tell how long it'll last (seeing service records to check if it's been replaced would be helpful).
well no car is excellent condition and even it was i wouldn't pay for it. Retail might be 12K but PP is 8.5K so that how i got the starting price with it...and of course a dealer wouldn't PP value for for it. So im sure they are making money on it. ..
and the timing service at 105K.. im not worried about ... I can get it done for cheap
Old 03-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Cruisin'

it also comes with the OEM unit.. but im not sure if the CD player works< i think thats why the unit was replaced
Old 03-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Banned

the factory units usually suck balls... my old one used to read errors when playing cd's and wouldn't eject them.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:49 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
yea if u only plan on having one car, I'd say the CL-S is a great choice.

But like others have said, it'll never be the the true rocket you may want it to be.

The CL has a bit of everythingggg. so if you are looking to be full-fledged speed, or luxury, or whatever... this is not the ride for you.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:22 PM

Im just debating cause i know i will love the CLS but and at the time i hope i don't get the mod bug cause this car is not about that... I hope im right and i do want something more sophisticated like the CLS
I was hoping I wouldnt get the mod-bug either but 1.5 years and a shit load of a money later I regret it.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i was hoping i wouldnt get the mod-bug either but 1.5 years and a shit load of a money later i regret it.
+1
Old 03-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Burning Brakes

I daily drive my CL and have a nsx and mr2 for weekend play cars and lets just say the CL doesn't compare to a mid engined rwd car
Old 03-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 669 Likes on 391 Posts
I say buy it.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:29 PM

If you can get it for less then $10k, jump on it. If you get bored you can always pull the motor and drop it in a better chassis.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:00 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts
if its a 6 speed I'd say do it, I love the car, it looks nice drives nice and even though it will never be the fastest it holds it own pretty well.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
I'd say buy it.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Cruisin'

Im very tempted. for 8.7K i think its good deal.. Its a clean car. I need to really look at it thoroughly though. I think i can get them to sell it for 8.5K.. the car has a 1 owner car fax. had PS pump serviced a few times and just had some new tires and brakes service < that was all in the car fax. Im thinking i will enjoy the car..and like i said i can get a classic SER for a weekend fun car.. we will see what happens
Old 03-11-2010, 11:24 PM

Get a report from NADA as well. NADA had things on my car that Carfax didnt.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:33 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Buy it as a nice alternative to an Accord for a DD, but don't expect it to reach the fun-factor of your previous cars.

Four years later I still miss my old Audi, then I remember the maintenance.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
i would never choose accord 7th gen there is too many of them. take a CL for a test drive and im sure you will buy this car. not too many of them and drives great handling isnt best but good enough for me. You will have to mod it as well, drop comes first then cai, headers, crank pulley, rsb. thats it
Old 03-11-2010, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by StreetKA
i would never choose accord 7th gen there is too many of them. take a CL for a test drive and im sure you will buy this car. not too many of them and drives great handling isnt best but good enough for me. You will have to mod it as well, drop comes first then cai, headers, crank pulley, rsb. thats it
Once you start modding, there is no ending. Youre better off not starting at all.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Once you start modding, there is no ending. Youre better off not starting at all.
this is true if i had to do it all over again i would just go for cosmetic things like drop, wheels, tints maybe intake
Old 03-12-2010, 06:47 AM
Cruisin'

im thinking cause its not the type of car you typicaly mod and the potential isn't there i might be happy with just an intake and suspension. headers i wont get unless the manifold has cat welded into it. Removing the cat is where the power is at. Hopefully this car doesn't have one on the mani lol... thanks for all the honest replies. I am now def. going to look at buying it now. just hope it not sold before i get to it. It might be a few days before i can get up there again and buy it. You can't find one of these near you unless your lucky
Old 03-12-2010, 06:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 669 Likes on 391 Posts
im thinking cause its not the type of car you typicaly mod and the potential isn't there i might be happy with just an intake and suspension. headers i wont get unless the manifold has cat welded into it. Removing the cat is where the power is at. Hopefully this car doesn't have one on the mani lol... thanks for all the honest replies. I am now def. going to look at buying it now. just hope it not sold before i get to it. It might be a few days before i can get up there again and buy it. You can't find one of these near you unless your lucky
you say that now... i said that same thing a few times myself.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:52 AM

And on these cars, I hate to add fuel to your mod fire, the power isnt in the cat, its in the headers. Expect around 20whp from headers alone.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Cruisin'

does it eliminate any cats?
Old 03-12-2010, 12:07 PM

No, we only have one cat, its in the normal location.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Intermediate

For 8.7 I would get it. Compare the CLS6 w/ anything else you could get for that price. The car wasn't meant to be a racer. It's a luxury coupe. I was in the same boat as you 2 years ago when I traded my GSR for the CLS6. I couldn't be happier. The GSR was a blast to drive, but made me feel like I was 16 all over again. As far as the mod bug goes...I just 'replace' stuff when it 'breaks.' (at least that's what I tell my wife )

Quick Reply: should I buy?