Which should i buy? *no relation to CL*

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001 | 07:14 PM
Lucky Kid Member

Which should i buy? *no relation to CL*

Next April i will be turning 18 and im getting tax return money or something. Suppose to be around 70k. OK now, i want to get a new car. What do you all think i should go with. It has to have navigation. Manual preferably. Something that most 18 year olds wont have either. Here is what im going with so far.
1. 2001 M3 Coupe/OR Convert. (LAGUNA blue or the yellow)

2. Mercedez CLK430 Coupe/ or convert. (Silver or black)

3. Nissan Z (not sure)

4. Lexus GS430

5. Dunno what else? Any suggestions?

I dont want to spend all my money on a car, i want to have some for whatever the hell my adolescent mind wants...Please dont look @ me as a spoiled brat Thankyou in advance

oh and how do you think insurance will be for this car??
Old 08-14-2001 | 07:21 PM
Senior Moderator

WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU DO THAT YOU CAN GET 70K BACK FROM TAXES?!?!?!?

Well shit if you are serious.. then id get the blue or red M3..

Still shit, you bankin like that at 18... then i want in!! Im 20, and im a hard worker..
Old 08-14-2001 | 07:26 PM
hater

Originally posted by jdtypeS:
<STRONG>Next April i will be turning 18 and im getting tax return money or something.</STRONG>
Ummm... whatever Beavis. Don't you mean a trust fund or something?

Dumbass!

Oh, BTW, a TON of spoiled 18 year-olds already own most of the cars you've mentioned. Why don't you be practical and only spend around half of that $70K and invest/save the rest? You could get a little WRX, add $10K in mods and stomp the SHIT out of just about anything on the road. Really, we're talking 11s here with the right turbo upgrade...
Senior Moderator

WTF? How much are you making at 17yrs old! I need some explanations here! I would get the M3!

ginash

<STRONG>Next April i will be turning 18 and im getting tax return money or something</STRONG>
Pro

2002 BMW M5, which would be over 70K and you would have no more money. This will probably be the last year the M5 is made until the next generation.

Otherwise the M3 coupe, with quite a bit leftover. Get on the wait list now though.

Edit: insuranse will be very expensive, depending on where you live/record.

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: someguy ]
Old 08-14-2001 | 07:28 PM
Unemployed BUM

<STRONG>Next April i will be turning 18 and im getting tax return money or something. Suppose to be around 70k. OK now, i want to get a new car. What do you all think i should go with. It has to have navigation. Manual preferably. Something that most 18 year olds wont have either. Here is what im going with so far.

3. Nissan Z (not sure)

4. Lexus GS430

I dont want to spend all my money on a car, i want to have some for whatever the hell my adolescent mind wants...Please dont look @ me as a spoiled brat Thankyou in advance

oh and how do you think insurance will be for this car??</STRONG>

Invest it on the stock market. It should still be flattened out at the bottom. Use some of it to go to college, and in four years, you can buy a new car, have a good chunk down payment on a new house, and a new career.

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: friendlydacat ]
Old 08-14-2001 | 07:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by droideka:
<STRONG>

Dumbass!
</STRONG>
i want a trust fund!!! How can i get one??
Old 08-14-2001 | 07:40 PM
Cruisin'

<STRONG>

Ummm... whatever Beavis. </STRONG>

Hey, where's my $70k "tax refund"?
Old 08-14-2001 | 07:42 PM
Adrienne

Somebody has to leave you money in their will with a stipulation that you can't have it until a certain time, such as your 18th birthday. I can't have mine until both of my parents die, so I'm not really gung ho about obtaining my Grandma's money; God forbid I get it any time soon.

By the time I get mine, I'll probably have kids and stuff, so I'm just going to immediately throw it into college funds and investments, etc. I'll probably never actually see it; it'll be my kids' legacy, not mine. I think that's why my Grandma did it that way, so that the money would stay in the family for as long as possible; I certainly won't be blowing it on cars the first month I have it...
Old 08-14-2001 | 07:50 PM
10th Gear

If you want pure performance, get the M3. If you want performance with a lot of luxury, and don't mind being stuck with an auto tranny, I'd go for the CLK55 AMG. Then again, you're turning 18. You don't need that kind of car now. Like someone said before, invest in the stock market. It's still basically at the bottom right now. Considering Bush gave the go-ahead for stem cell research, I'd invest in the biotech companies if I were you. Within a couple years, you'd probably have enough money to get one of those cars & have a lotta change left.
Old 08-14-2001 | 07:51 PM
Advanced

Back to the original question:
Tough to go wrong with an M3. Don't get an M5 -- its a family car.
Otherwise, consider a used NSX, Viper.
Or a Boxster S.
If you are seriously considering a Lexus, go with a SC430 rather than a GS430. The difference between 35k and 50k is huge but between 50k and 70k is marginal in my opinion. If you spend 50k, you'll still have enough to actually take your multiple gf's out.
At 50k, another nice option is the new M roadster -- sure it looks like every other Z3 but still a lotta fun.
I's sure there are other cars -- any other recs?

And for everyone else, its not his fault in comes into 70k. So at least try to hide the jealousy and give the guy some advice. At least he is honest enough to both annouce his pot and ask for help rather than be arrogant.
Old 08-14-2001 | 07:52 PM
Suzuka Master

I would buy a house with the money. But, if you really want a nice car, you may as well go ahead and waste it all while your still young.

-Ash
Old 08-14-2001 | 08:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by eyeguy:
<STRONG>Back to the original question:

And for everyone else, its not his fault in comes into 70k. So at least try to hide the jealousy and give the guy some advice. At least he is honest enough to both annouce his pot and ask for help rather than be arrogant.</STRONG>

I agree... BUT he could have been modest about it.
Old 08-14-2001 | 08:27 PM
Powered By HONDA

turn 18 get 70000 back..i do not think so..no no
Old 08-14-2001 | 09:18 PM
Banned

If I had 70 grand coming, 13 would go to pay off my CL and the rest would make a nice down payment on a house.
Old 08-14-2001 | 09:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by mdaniel:
<STRONG>If I had 70 grand coming, 13 would go to pay off my CL and the rest would make a nice down payment on a house.</STRONG>
heh heh... which in SoCal should get you a really nice 650 sq ft 1 br bungalow, eh?
Old 08-14-2001 | 09:40 PM
Red X

how the hell does a 17 year old get $70k back in taxes?!
Old 08-14-2001 | 09:43 PM
Race Director

70k sounds like a waste for someone your age.

keep the cl-s, invest the rest, or downpayment on a condo.

And if i had that kind of money, i would have definetly chose my words differently.

Just a simple poll would have told you what a good car for 70k would be.
Old 08-14-2001 | 09:46 PM
do it yourself, !

Originally posted by mdaniel:
<STRONG>If I had 70 grand coming, 13 would go to pay off my CL and the rest would make a nice down payment on a house.</STRONG>
Hell yea! Thats what I'm sayin. Get a house..best investment in the world. I'm 19 and yes I do OWN the two cars in my sig and I'm the one that supports my mother more or less. It's taken me 3 cars to figure out that cars are the worst investment in the world, but guys my age think of cars first as always... jdtypes asked for what car to get..suggest him on the cars, not his life. He'll live and learn.

And I'm not big on taxes and all of that but wouldnt a 70k return have to come from a 7 figure salary?? Hey, if you're making that much jd..we should go into business together..I got a nice bridge I can sell you.
Old 08-15-2001 | 09:05 AM
Lucky Kid Member

<STRONG>

Dumbass!

Oh, BTW, a TON of spoiled 18 year-olds already own most of the cars you've mentioned. Why don't you be practical and only spend around half of that $70K and invest/save the rest? You could get a little WRX, add $10K in mods and stomp the SHIT out of just about anything on the road. Really, we're talking 11s here with the right turbo upgrade...</STRONG>
i think you would be the dumbass here. 1st of all you dont know me. 2nd of all this is tax return money from paying taxes on my trusts and everything else. I get my trust fund $$$ when im 21. And where i live, i dont see any 18 year olds driving these cars around. And wtf would i want an ugly WRX? bahaha. The M3 and CLK are much better. Im not all worried about speed, like you.
Old 08-15-2001 | 09:06 AM
Lucky Kid Member

Originally posted by friendlydacat:
<STRONG>

Invest it on the stock market. It should still be flattened out at the bottom. Use some of it to go to college, and in four years, you can buy a new car, have a good chunk down payment on a new house, and a new career.

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: friendlydacat ]</STRONG>
I have money invested. And my college is payed off. So this money can be used for like whatever. I have more coming to me for house downpayments and whatnot later in life.
Old 08-15-2001 | 10:15 AM
Banned

Buick Century!!!
Old 08-15-2001 | 11:16 AM
Firestarter

<STRONG>

I have money invested. And my college is payed off. So this money can be used for like whatever. I have more coming to me for house downpayments and whatnot later in life.</STRONG>
Ok, so you are smart enough to do all this but you can't figure out for yourself what car to buy?

Scenario:
"Hey guys! I have a couple mil coming my way...should I buy a Rolls Royce or a Bentley?? Do you think I'll have enough money left for my marble toilet in my 250 room mansion? Also which is softer on your hemmeroids: fine imported silk or just plain old hundred dollar bills? Please guys don't think that I am a spoiled rich 18 year old kid and thanks in advance"

Well thanks for letting every one here know about you new found fortune. please check back with us a year from now when Acura-CL.com hosts the "Where Are They Now That They Are Broke?" show!
Hopefully you would have picked your car by then.

Old 08-15-2001 | 11:17 AM
Firestarter

Originally posted by Scorpius:
<STRONG>Buick Century!!!</STRONG>

Right on, Scorp!
Old 08-15-2001 | 11:45 AM
Banned

Get #2. Mercedez CLK430 Coupe (Silver). Saw one the other day, sweetest looking car I've seen in awhile. Not anywhere as fast as the MCars, but Pure silk and class

<STRONG>Next April i will be turning 18 and im getting tax return money or something. Suppose to be around 70k. OK now, i want to get a new car. What do you all think i should go with. It has to have navigation. Manual preferably. Something that most 18 year olds wont have either. Here is what im going with so far.

3. Nissan Z (not sure)

4. Lexus GS430

oh and how do you think insurance will be for this car??</STRONG>
Old 08-15-2001 | 12:02 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

if you were smart u would invest that money in either the market or hell even a high paying cd..and with your dividends or returns you could lease any of the above mentioned cars.....you would have to be an idiot to just drop that kinda of cash $$ into something that is only going to depreciate anyways......

just my 2 cents

dont be stupid!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-15-2001 | 12:15 PM
Firestarter

Originally posted by phil2:
<STRONG>if you were smart u would invest that money in either the market or hell even a high paying cd..and with your dividends or returns you could lease any of the above mentioned cars.....you would have to be an idiot to just drop that kinda of cash $$ into something that is only going to depreciate anyways......

just my 2 cents

dont be stupid!!!!!!!!!! </STRONG>
phil, come one! Did you listen to this guy? He sounds like Donald Trump's girlfriend in a jewelry shop trying to pick out an engagement ring.
then he begging to be taken seriously.

as the great Old Dirty Bastard once said: "niggah, please!"
Old 08-15-2001 | 12:26 PM
2nd Gear

sucks working your sorry a$$ off for this car while trust fund babies are buying new M3s with their TAX REFUND. yecchh..

not that i'd refuse the fund :p

how about you spread it around a bit and help keep acura-cl.com alive? there are many better ways to use the cash than sink it into a hunk of metal that depreciates like mad. of course, if you are planning to rely on your trust funds to pave your way through life, then, by all means, take it plush & easy, and wonder when your 50 what the fuck the meaning of life is...
Old 08-15-2001 | 02:21 PM
magnet

just buy an m3 and rest of the money pay your insurance cuz its gonna be a lot of dough
Old 08-15-2001 | 04:36 PM
Lucky Kid Member

Thankyou Caddy and the few others which made a suggestion. I feel sorry for the rest of you that have the time to put me down. Its not like i asked for the money..If i knew i would be getting the responces i did, i would have posted a topic saying " 18 YEAR OLD WITH 70K!! WHAT SHOULD I DO?? " but thats not the case. I was looking more towards your input for a car you would choose if you were in my case. I suppose thats too much to ask...? Oh, and i dont need a bridge :p
Old 08-15-2001 | 04:38 PM
Lucky Kid Member

<STRONG>Thankyou Caddy and the few others which made a suggestion. I feel sorry for the rest of you that have the time to put me down. Its not like i asked for the money..If i knew i would be getting the responces i did, i would have posted a topic saying " 18 YEAR OLD WITH 70K!! WHAT SHOULD I DO?? " but thats not the case. I was looking more towards your input for a car you would choose if you were in my case. I suppose thats too much to ask...? Oh, and i dont need a bridge :p</STRONG>
oh and mchtypeS sorry about your car bro
Old 08-15-2001 | 04:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by shockboltthrower:
<STRONG>

Ok, so you are smart enough to do all this but you can't figure out for yourself what car to buy?

Scenario:
"Hey guys! I have a couple mil coming my way...should I buy a Rolls Royce or a Bentley?? Do you think I'll have enough money left for my marble toilet in my 250 room mansion? Also which is softer on your hemmeroids: fine imported silk or just plain old hundred dollar bills? Please guys don't think that I am a spoiled rich 18 year old kid and thanks in advance"

Well thanks for letting every one here know about you new found fortune. please check back with us a year from now when Acura-CL.com hosts the "Where Are They Now That They Are Broke?" show!
Hopefully you would have picked your car by then.

</STRONG>

Bwahahahahahahah.... that was some funny shit!!

If I had that cash, I'd go with a CLK55 AMG or BMW M3/M5. Someone mentioned the Porsche Boxster S, that would be tight too.....
Old 08-15-2001 | 04:50 PM
Banned

70k... How abouy paying for college?
Old 08-15-2001 | 05:02 PM
Pro

<STRONG>

I have money invested. And my college is payed off. So this money can be used for like whatever. I have more coming to me for house downpayments and whatnot later in life.</STRONG>
College is "PAYED OFF". Thank the Lord, since it's spelled "PAID".
Old 08-15-2001 | 05:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

You don't get tax money back on inherited funds....over a certain amount, you pay the tax.

To get a tax return of $70k....you would have to have grossed over $2million (so thats out).

Its not a tax return....it just sounds like inherited money, with more on the way.

Good for you.
Old 08-15-2001 | 06:21 PM
Lucky Kid Member

im pretty sure its tax return money..because, if i remember correctly my mom was telling me it was tax return money. she said m getting money for paying taxes...so im like whatever. maybe im wrong, but i dont think so.
Old 08-15-2001 | 11:34 PM
Firestarter

<STRONG>Thankyou Caddy and the few others which made a suggestion. I feel sorry for the rest of you that have the time to put me down. Its not like i asked for the money..If i knew i would be getting the responces i did, i would have posted a topic saying " 18 YEAR OLD WITH 70K!! WHAT SHOULD I DO?? " but thats not the case. I was looking more towards your input for a car you would choose if you were in my case. I suppose thats too much to ask...? Oh, and i dont need a bridge :p</STRONG>
Oh, come on JD...if you are gonna post anything on this forum, you should expect and be able to handle some kind of heat. Hell, I got Damaged asking me to blow him!! And I roast him every chance I get
Don't be a whining baby about it. Think about it...you still get to have your car right?
anyway, it's a car not a house. You can always sell it down the line if you don't like it. Benz or BMW are both good cars. Of course Damaged will tell which he thinks is better...
If you got that much money to kill at least buy a classy car. just don't get yourself killed in it, alright there buddy?

oh yeah, If I get laid off in the next few months can you pay off my $20 grand left on my CL so I don't have to sell it?

peace, my brother!
Old 08-16-2001 | 02:34 AM
do it yourself, !

Don't worry what you'll get now. jus get #1, then next year get #2, then #3 and so on. Then any money you have that comes just spend it on drugs, whores, and liquor..don't let it sit one day in your pocket without being spent. Don't take this as sarcasm..i promise you. I'm dead serious. If you have your whole life paved on a straight and smooth road..just live it up!
Old 08-16-2001 | 03:50 AM
Racer

dude if u dont save that money i will kick your ass, if you get setup in the right investments you can double that money in 3 years. dont get caught up in car status thing what are u going to get a 50k car and park at your parents house? if u have patients you can have the house and the car, and the girl
Old 08-16-2001 | 11:07 AM
Firestarter

Originally posted by Southpaw:
<STRONG>dude if u dont save that money i will kick your ass, if you get setup in the right investments you can double that money in 3 years. dont get caught up in car status thing what are u going to get a 50k car and park at your parents house? if u have patients you can have the house and the car, and the girl </STRONG>

patients?? college payed off??
man, I just love the people in here!

Quick Reply: Which should i buy? *no relation to CL*