Short Ram Intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
For what it's worth, my 1/4 mile times dropped a consistent .1 to .3 of a second with a SRI over the stock box.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:02 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
that's from heat but moreso because of the massive terbulance in the air b4 hitting the manifold. Hence RAM AIR.. it goes in w/o a direction and therefore your manifold doesn't distribute the air properly.

Kinda like how ppl drive in europe.. it's 4 lanes and but u see 5 or 6 here and there and everyones not in order. like people commuting on a street, air molecules still need to arrange themselves to be combusted as efficiently as possible. CAI usually does this assuming you have a long enough tube. colder air, going faster... IE more molecules on the HIGHWAY in an orderly fassion.

Or think of it as packing your trunk to the brim... you put everything in the right place so u maximize the room/volume. A long pipe does this to the air atoms all on it's own. I just love MR. CAI, and so does vtec

best analogies I could think of... lol

Last edited by CL-S progression 01; 05-08-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Onese1f
Fair enough. Bro, of course you're going to feel a difference from the stock box, yes your throttle response will feel quicker, but is it really worth putting your engine through all that heat-soak? I don't know the true detrimental effects of it but I'm sure it couldn't be good, although I am curious about that. We all know someone or a friend of a friend who's had trouble with hydrolock, I mean I live in FL where it rains like EVERYDAY and I don't think I know a single person with an SRI. This same discussion is happening over on the 2g TL side too and they've all reached pretty much the same consensus we have here. But, in the true spirit of modding, do what YOU want to do because in the end its all about making your car out to be what you want it to be, we're all just here to help with the pros-cons of stuff. Didn't mean to be a pain in the a$$.
Hah, not a pain in the ass at all bro, just a heated SRI vs. CAI discussion. lol
I guess you are right with the rareness of hydrolocking. Still too risky to me though as I am just starting college and wouldn't have enough money to fix it if god forbid it does hydrolock. I would pretty much be screwed.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:45 AM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
honestly it wont matter becuase once you are moving fast enough, there will be plenty of cool air in the engine bay

it really depends on what filter element you are using.

I am using the HKS super mega flow filter element, it is low restriction, my throttle response is damn near instantaneous.

all it really boils down too, is what filter element you are using.

and if you take this for food for thought, with a CAI, it takes longer for the air to actually get to the motor, a short ram would be better for racing imo, why do you see so many race cars with one headlight out with a short ram.

just makes logical sense to me.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:56 AM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by OperationDarkie
honestly it wont matter becuase once you are moving fast enough, there will be plenty of cool air in the engine bay

it really depends on what filter element you are using.

I am using the HKS super mega flow filter element, it is low restriction, my throttle response is damn near instantaneous.

all it really boils down too, is what filter element you are using.

and if you take this for food for thought, with a CAI, it takes longer for the air to actually get to the motor, a short ram would be better for racing imo, why do you see so many race cars with one headlight out with a short ram.

just makes logical sense to me.

Forgot to add something to this post, a cold air intake will make 1-2 more horsepower than a short ram in the low to midrange area, but the short ram with less piping and less restriction will make more power in the higher rpms, CAI's were meant for stop and go traffic, short rams made for racing due to less restriction. And a short ram is cheaper. that had me sold
Old 05-13-2009, 10:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CL-S progression 01
also the same reason why SRI gets faster response is cause it's just sucking air in from shorter. So then that'd mean a SRI is better when you floor it, and CAI is better for WOT runs.
yea dude everyone pretty much knows that. as for your previous post about CAI sucking air in faster and the sniper rifle...................:noob:
Originally Posted by GhettoNinja06
I did do my homework. I stand by my statement. SRIs are not worse than stock boxes. Get technical if you will but I can defiantly feel much better throttle response with the SRI. Hot air or not, there is still a little gain over the stock box even if it is marginal. I do live in the city that reaches well over 80 and usually around 100 in summer but there is no way I would ever risk a hydrolock. It has happened to a first genner and he wishes he would have gone with the SRI and saved a couple of grand in engine work. Of course he ended up just selling his CL for a few hundred dollars of course and probably drives some beater right now till he can recoup the money he lost because of a risky move he wishes he didn't do. I don't want to risk that situation. And like I said, I feel the difference from stock box to SRI and the difference is all good and I don't have to worry about a hydro lock. That's all that matters to me.

Originally Posted by Onese1f
Fair enough. Bro, of course you're going to feel a difference from the stock box, yes your throttle response will feel quicker, but is it really worth putting your engine through all that heat-soak? I don't know the true detrimental effects of it but I'm sure it couldn't be good, although I am curious about that. We all know someone or a friend of a friend who's had trouble with hydrolock, I mean I live in FL where it rains like EVERYDAY and I don't think I know a single person with an SRI. This same discussion is happening over on the 2g TL side too and they've all reached pretty much the same consensus we have here. But, in the true spirit of modding, do what YOU want to do because in the end its all about making your car out to be what you want it to be, we're all just here to help with the pros-cons of stuff. Didn't mean to be a pain in the a$$.
And according to YOU, whats the general consensus here huh

Originally Posted by CL-S progression 01
that's from heat but moreso because of the massive terbulance in the air b4 hitting the manifold. Hence RAM AIR.. it goes in w/o a direction and therefore your manifold doesn't distribute the air properly.

Kinda like how ppl drive in europe.. it's 4 lanes and but u see 5 or 6 here and there and everyones not in order. like people commuting on a street, air molecules still need to arrange themselves to be combusted as efficiently as possible. CAI usually does this assuming you have a long enough tube. colder air, going faster... IE more molecules on the HIGHWAY in an orderly fassion.

Or think of it as packing your trunk to the brim... you put everything in the right place so u maximize the room/volume. A long pipe does this to the air atoms all on it's own. I just love MR. CAI, and so does vtec

best analogies I could think of... lol
i didnt even bother reading this one