Short Ram Intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 10:25 PM
2001 CL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short Ram Intake

Ok so i want to pick up a short ram intake, but everywhere i look it says non type s. whats this about? does it really matter?
Old 04-19-2009, 11:55 PM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeaa it matters because of VSA, they are out there for sure, I have one...shouldn't cost more than 30 bucks.

For my car I simply bought an ebay short ram intake and put a K&N filter on it.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
i wouldnt get a short ram, you dont get the same benefits as a CAI and its hums like a mofo
Old 04-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by aznboi2424
i wouldnt get a short ram, you dont get the same benefits as a CAI and its hums like a mofo
Actually if i recall there is a book out there that shows the difference between short ram intakes and cold air, a short ram will have less flow restriction than a cold air would, and short rams make more power in the high rpm areas, besides i rock a short ram intake its all i ever used never really saw the use for a cold air intake, and it was easier to do.

but yes the hum is very noticeable but who cares, the car sounds amazing once you hit v tec with it.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by OperationDarkie
Actually if i recall there is a book out there that shows the difference between short ram intakes and cold air, a short ram will have less flow restriction than a cold air would, and short rams make more power in the high rpm areas, besides i rock a short ram intake its all i ever used never really saw the use for a cold air intake, and it was easier to do.

but yes the hum is very noticeable but who cares, the car sounds amazing once you hit v tec with it.
You also don't have to worry about hydrolocking your engine...
Old 04-20-2009, 07:56 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a fan of the short ram...

Don't waste your time with it.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:14 PM
2001 CL-S

What does it have to do with VSA?
Old 04-20-2009, 09:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
does the short ram really give more power in higher rpms?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:00 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,261 Likes on 4,875 Posts
Originally Posted by 2Fast4you
does the short ram really give more power in higher rpms?
Never heard that. Honestly, it's a difficult thing to measure. A dyno doesn't have the air flowing around the car that you would have doing say 80mph on the highway (Camaros with ram air only start to benefit from it at highway speeds, down low it's pointless, similar predicament). A short ram does improve throttle response slightly. In either case, you will make more power, but my vote goes with the cold air intake. Colder air = more air = more fuel = more power.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Never heard that. Honestly, it's a difficult thing to measure. A dyno doesn't have the air flowing around the car that you would have doing say 80mph on the highway (Camaros with ram air only start to benefit from it at highway speeds, down low it's pointless, similar predicament). A short ram does improve throttle response slightly. In either case, you will make more power, but my vote goes with the cold air intake. Colder air = more air = more fuel = more power.
the cold air intake makes more power doesnt it?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by 2Fast4you
the cold air intake makes more power doesnt it?
Technically, but its really difficult to pick up on a dyno or even feel. For effeciency's sake I'd go with the cai.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:40 AM
10th Gear

I'm with a short ram if it increases throttle response... Plus the downside to a CAI for me is the increased risk for hydrolock... especially in Houston where it will flood any moment.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Just remove the resonator from the OEM intake. You'll have a slight performance gain and you'll get the sound that you'd get from a short ram.

Oh and it's free.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Is a chargin mah lazar in

I spent money on a short ram. Loved for about 2 weeks, then wanted to take it out, then it broke. I gave it away for free.

Go CAI/Res Delete+Drop In or don't even bother.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know it might suck to spend the extra cash, but just do it right the first time. I suggest AEM or CT.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by GhettoNinja06
You also don't have to worry about hydrolocking your engine...

Or you can get a bypass valve or a pre-filter so you don't get hydrolocked..

I'd personally stay away from short ram intakes. I'll bet they're even worse than the stock air intake. I'm sure it brings in hotter air into the engine than the stock intake does.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Suzuka Master

+2 on the intake resonator delete and K&N drop-in. slight gains and wouldnt even make much sense to upgrade to a CAI. the air might even be colder then a short ram.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:20 PM

Resonator delete and drop in is a great choice, and its free and easily reversible..Your stock intake is just fine, if you want sound save up for exhaust. If you want performance just go with some headers when a reputable company comes around and starts making them for cheap lol..or save up for comptech or DC..
Old 04-22-2009, 01:55 AM
Suzuka Master

plus deleting the intake resonator adds some sound too
Old 04-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Tokin up in

Short Ram good for Sound, -resonator and u got some major sound!. But lets lots of Hot Engine Air in. Had a short am On my 96 TL cyl, Car sounded like a Dam Subaru with exhaust. She was mad Loud when i step on her, And kiked like a mother in higher RPM's. Was looking to do the CAI on her but killed her i got a chance. I would go CAI my
Old 04-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

I went with SRI because i didnt want to spend a lot,worry about hydra, just wanted a little more power

Originally Posted by Rapture
Or you can get a bypass valve or a pre-filter so you don't get hydrolocked..

I'd personally stay away from short ram intakes. I'll bet they're even worse than the stock air intake. I'm sure it brings in hotter air into the engine than the stock intake does.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:21 AM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Originally Posted by AnthraciteBeast
I went with SRI because i didnt want to spend a lot,worry about hydra, just wanted a little more power

same here.

x2

btw rapture, bypass valves only work if the intake is totaly submerged in water which you souldn't even be driving out if water is that high. Big puddle upsplash has been proved to hydrolock an engine aswell. and NO a SRI is NOT worse than the stock box... Otherwise, there would be no SRIs...
Old 04-24-2009, 10:41 AM

same here.

x2

btw rapture, bypass valves only work if the intake is totaly submerged in water which you souldn't even be driving out if water is that high. Big puddle upsplash has been proved to hydrolock an engine aswell. and NO a SRI is NOT worse than the stock box... Otherwise, there would be no SRIs...
Do your homework. SRI's are HORRIBLE in regards to heatsoak while the car is sitting still. At speed obviously it doesn't matter, but you're still sucking in hot air from the engine bay as opposed to by the bumper where the colder, denser air masses. If you live in a place where outside temps reach over 80 and drive in city traffic alot SRI's are an unwise choice imo. I wouldn't go as far to say they are worse than the stock box, just less efficient. Sure you're sucking up gobs of air, but its all hot crappy air, how is that more efficient than the stock box that engineers specifically designed for the car? The performance gain over the stock box is marginal, but sure, whatever helps you justify owning one. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Save the $100-something dollars and either save up for CAI, or put it into something more useful, like getting a decent set of rotors that won't warp, or SS lines to help the feel of your brake pedal. Or hell, even a set of racing pedals that are more comfortable on your feet and if you're 6MT, easier to heel-toe etc.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:45 AM

Fuck intakes, just turbo the bitch.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Fuck intakes, just turbo the bitch.
x2 lol
Old 04-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Suzuka Master

on the sucky SRIs.
the filter is much closer to the engine then the stock airbox. when i removed my intake resonator, the air being drawn in is behind the headlight and below the airbox. the area below the airbox is between the road lamp/front bumper and splashguard/wheelwell. the air is much cooler there.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Onese1f
Do your homework. SRI's are HORRIBLE in regards to heatsoak while the car is sitting still. At speed obviously it doesn't matter, but you're still sucking in hot air from the engine bay as opposed to by the bumper where the colder, denser air masses. If you live in a place where outside temps reach over 80 and drive in city traffic alot SRI's are an unwise choice imo. I wouldn't go as far to say they are worse than the stock box, just less efficient. Sure you're sucking up gobs of air, but its all hot crappy air, how is that more efficient than the stock box that engineers specifically designed for the car? The performance gain over the stock box is marginal, but sure, whatever helps you justify owning one. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Save the $100-something dollars and either save up for CAI, or put it into something more useful, like getting a decent set of rotors that won't warp, or SS lines to help the feel of your brake pedal. Or hell, even a set of racing pedals that are more comfortable on your feet and if you're 6MT, easier to heel-toe etc.
i see what jaysizzlecity meant about you
Old 04-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
same here.

x2

Well if the bypass valve doesn't work against hydrolock, then I guess the best alternative would be to buy an Injen, which people should do in the first place. The hydroshield pre-filter is pretty resistant against water.

An SRI has aluminum piping, right? And it's sucking in hot air like 5 inches away from the engine, right? So it's doing nothing but sucking in 90+ degree air. The stock air box has plastic pipes. Plastic pipes won't fall victim to heatsoak, so it's still bringing in colder air into the intake (not quite as cold as a CAI would) which should improve performance, no? and I'm sure there are plenty of other mods out there that are worse or do nothing, so that point is kind of invalid. That tornado fuel saver thing comes to mind...

Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to post that noob emoticon next time
Old 04-25-2009, 10:32 PM

Plastic pipes...reminds me of my old Iceman on my Civic. Too bad they don't make them anymore.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by AnthraciteBeast
i see what jaysizzlecity meant about you
?
Old 04-29-2009, 09:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ you know what i mean
Old 04-30-2009, 04:02 PM
10th Gear

With the floods in Houston this week I'm definitely glad I don't have a CAI...
Old 05-04-2009, 09:47 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
lol what a debate between the two. Here's my 2 cents.

I just got the injen a month ago (the car 2 months ago).

Brand new cost 300 with s/h and duties (gotta love canada), but it's a true showpiece and it does more than it appears.

installing it is kind of a joke, removing the front bumper isn't everyone's cup of tea for such a typically easy mod but it's necessary, and oh my god does it look nice when the bumper is off intake is just installed and you see that air filter poking behind the drivers side headlight/ and above the splash-guard. There's a TON of room for air to get to it, and more importantly nothing HEATING up right beside it make cold air deceased. ALSO the area is quite well contained and CONSIDER THIS.

Most puddles for on the sides of the road (the passenger side) the air is suck in from the drivers side, so unless you PUMMEL through a dirty up puddle, there's no way hydo locking should be an issue.

I think lock up only happens to the careless drivers who know but don't think that veering 4 ft to the left would change their predicament. I'm not trying to point fingers but common, this is something that can easily be avoiding with SLIGHT caution.

Anyways, SRI cannot be better, the physics of hydraulics will tell you the longer something runs through something the more speed it picks up.

EG. look at a sniper gun? LONG ASS BARREL it's there for a reason.

CAI baby all the way... SRIs imo are just for looks and to save money from buying a whole new stock intake system
Old 05-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

^
Old 05-07-2009, 10:36 AM

The air does not speed up going through a cold air intake. If you believe that, you should get one of these:
http://www.tornadoair.com/

There is no pump pushing the air through the air filter, only the engine sucking it in. The air will only go as fast as the engine can pull in. Long pipe or short, it will suck in the same amount. The difference is throttle response.

The air from a cold air intake is better because it is denser. An SRI does not bring in cold air. All the hot air produced by the engine and radiator are sucked up by an SRI, so it will make less power because the are less air molecules mixing with the fuel.

P.S.-I was pretty damn sure sniper rifles have a long muzzle for accuracy, but w/e.

P.P.S.-To those about to do the install, it is NOT necessary to remove the bumper to install a CAI. Just pull back the driver side wheel well liner. You have access to everything right there.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:45 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
believe me or not, it's ok. yes cold air.. ur right i didn't mention that's the big diff, but as for longer=faster speed, that is tru also. (too an extent) also the same reason why SRI gets faster response is cause it's just sucking air in from shorter. So then that'd mean a SRI is better when you floor it, and CAI is better for WOT runs.

I'm no genieus but, that's how it is from my experience. I've done both/seen both on other cars including my past one, and that's what I've learnt.

Any intake, unless it's plastic will retain heat from the engine bay no matter what because it's metal. Air can't be thaat cold

there's less turbulence when it hits the manifold... kinda like a tb spacer. longer = straighter = faster (like the sniper analogy) only too an extent OBV.

But it's still apples to oranges.. SRIs are safer nomatter what. very rarely can u get the best of both worlds

Last edited by CL-S progression 01; 05-07-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:25 PM

Lets agree to disagree.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:53 AM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Originally Posted by Onese1f

I did do my homework. I stand by my statement. SRIs are not worse than stock boxes. Get technical if you will but I can defiantly feel much better throttle response with the SRI. Hot air or not, there is still a little gain over the stock box even if it is marginal. I do live in the city that reaches well over 80 and usually around 100 in summer but there is no way I would ever risk a hydrolock. It has happened to a first genner and he wishes he would have gone with the SRI and saved a couple of grand in engine work. Of course he ended up just selling his CL for a few hundred dollars of course and probably drives some beater right now till he can recoup the money he lost because of a risky move he wishes he didn't do. I don't want to risk that situation. And like I said, I feel the difference from stock box to SRI and the difference is all good and I don't have to worry about a hydro lock. That's all that matters to me.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:58 AM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Originally Posted by Rapture
Well if the bypass valve doesn't work against hydrolock, then I guess the best alternative would be to buy an Injen, which people should do in the first place. The hydroshield pre-filter is pretty resistant against water.

An SRI has aluminum piping, right? And it's sucking in hot air like 5 inches away from the engine, right? So it's doing nothing but sucking in 90+ degree air. The stock air box has plastic pipes. Plastic pipes won't fall victim to heatsoak, so it's still bringing in colder air into the intake (not quite as cold as a CAI would) which should improve performance, no? and I'm sure there are plenty of other mods out there that are worse or do nothing, so that point is kind of invalid. That tornado fuel saver thing comes to mind...

Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to post that noob emoticon next time
Yes, you are right, the stock box does suck up cooler air, but less air than a SRI. More air = better response and more power. And while at speed, it's sucking up almost as cool air as a CAI.

From the words of an OG mod.... "I only call you a n00b cuz I care."
Old 05-08-2009, 09:49 AM

I did do my homework. I stand by my statement. SRIs are not worse than stock boxes. Get technical if you will but I can defiantly feel much better throttle response with the SRI. Hot air or not, there is still a little gain over the stock box even if it is marginal. I do live in the city that reaches well over 80 and usually around 100 in summer but there is no way I would ever risk a hydrolock. It has happened to a first genner and he wishes he would have gone with the SRI and saved a couple of grand in engine work. Of course he ended up just selling his CL for a few hundred dollars of course and probably drives some beater right now till he can recoup the money he lost because of a risky move he wishes he didn't do. I don't want to risk that situation. And like I said, I feel the difference from stock box to SRI and the difference is all good and I don't have to worry about a hydro lock. That's all that matters to me.
Fair enough. Bro, of course you're going to feel a difference from the stock box, yes your throttle response will feel quicker, but is it really worth putting your engine through all that heat-soak? I don't know the true detrimental effects of it but I'm sure it couldn't be good, although I am curious about that. We all know someone or a friend of a friend who's had trouble with hydrolock, I mean I live in FL where it rains like EVERYDAY and I don't think I know a single person with an SRI. This same discussion is happening over on the 2g TL side too and they've all reached pretty much the same consensus we have here. But, in the true spirit of modding, do what YOU want to do because in the end its all about making your car out to be what you want it to be, we're all just here to help with the pros-cons of stuff. Didn't mean to be a pain in the a$$.

Quick Reply: Short Ram Intake