Shawn’s LONG ASS 6-Speed Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 09:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Wow... look at all of the newbies coming out with their "my shit don't stink" attitude. I personally find that laughable.

Anyway, great honest review Shawn. I must have been one of the select few who actually read your post, b/c Gator obviously missed the part where you explained that the CL-S shifter was shorter then you were used to and different from the other cars you had driven. It's also obvious that Miami didn't read it either, otherwise he wouldn't have used the quote button. Maybe it's a Florida thing.

Good luck with your car and enjoy Zainoing it!! I can't wait to read your review after all of your mods are in and the break-in period is over. That should be fun!!
Old 03-18-2002, 10:11 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
b/c Gator obviously missed the part where you explained that the CL-S shifter was shorter then you were used to and different from the other cars you had driven
Beano, I did not miss that part at all. Apparantly you missed the part where I said it shifted just like every other manual I have driven. The throws are not that close together unless you have been driving a jeep wrangler your whole life.

And how could someone shift into what they were thinking was third when it was really fifth, and have the RPMs at/below 2000 and have no pickup wonder what was going wrong? Did he really think that Honda left third and fourth gears out of his transmission? Or maybe the computer putting his car together thought it would be funny to not allow the driver to access those gears.

Just because I'm new to this board doesn't mean I am new to driving a car which is the complete opposite of this thread starter.
Old 03-18-2002, 10:23 AM
Team Owner

The above post isn’t worth the typing energy to reply.

Juniorbean,
Thanks for the comments and I too am anxiously awaiting the MOD’s and break-in time to be over.

Shawn S
Old 03-20-2002, 09:46 PM
Banned

Shawn, my subtle point was that this was ponderous. It is apparent that you REALLY like your new ride,btw I tested one and did not care for the 6mt. This in no way reflects how you feel about your ride.More power to you brother.

And beano...as a new member to the board I take offence to you refering to "shit don't stink attitude". It was uncalled for...imo.
Dave
Old 03-20-2002, 10:06 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Shawn’s LONG ASS 6-Speed Review

Originally posted by Miami 007
[B]

[IMG]
Don't ever quote a huge post like that again, newbie. The rest of us don't need to scroll past something that long that we've already read.
Old 03-20-2002, 10:12 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Shawn’s LONG ASS 6-Speed Review

Originally posted by JRock

Don't ever quote a huge post like that again, newbie. The rest of us don't need to scroll past something that long that we've already read.
Why is 'newbie' thrown around like it's a bad word around here? Without newbies this board wouldn't be as successful as it is. Just a thought.
Old 03-20-2002, 10:18 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Shawn’s LONG ASS 6-Speed Review

Originally posted by zeroday

Why is 'newbie' thrown around like it's a bad word around here? Without newbies this board wouldn't be as successful as it is. Just a thought.
Because too many newbies come in here, shoot their mouths off, and insult verteran members like they own the place.
Old 03-21-2002, 07:36 AM
Instructor

Because too many newbies come in here, shoot their mouths off, and insult verteran members like they own the place.

Perhaps someone should post rules of the board like "No member with less than 100 posts can post anything negative in response to a member with greater than 3000 posts"

Because obviously the more you post, the more you know...or that is the way most of you think around here....
Old 03-21-2002, 09:21 AM
Banned

ATTN: Veteran master posters with over 3000 posts (aka jrock and mdaniel)

We all bow to your superior knowledge and intellect.

Please forgive all "newbies" for having an opinion, and thanks or making us feel welcome.
Old 03-21-2002, 09:44 AM
Team Owner

Can we please keep all of this PETTY SHIT out of my review please ???
That goes for both Newbies & Veterans alike.

Thanks,
Shawn S
Old 03-22-2002, 12:44 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Now look what ya did by being honest ;-)

I know what you mean though, and I'm sure you're past it by now; I felt a little intimidation when I got behind the wheel and checked the spacing (and seeing that extra gear) before taking off (mostly, didn't wanna look like a doof). But I relaxed and trusted the feel and never had a problem both upshifting and downshifting quickly through the hills. It feels right. But then again I've never owned an automatic. (I did chirp the tires getting out of the lot, and the first couple of clutch moves were pretty iffy, but that fell into place after a few shifts.)

My BIG problem right now is the @#$%! color decision. Black (if I can't decide, it will be black by default--plus, that's my son's choice), blue, or anthracite. I haven't seen the last two in the daylight (and the anthracite was on a TL). I have a "charcoal" Legend, so black and anthracite aren't far (one darker, the other lighter) from what I've been driving for a *long* time. Maybe that's enough reason to go blue, but I'll have to see it... But I'm not ready to go talk $ until I know what I want them to get me (they only had silvers in the first shipment).
Old 03-22-2002, 08:28 AM
Pro

Unless you've had a black car, do not get it. Can't keep it clean-shows every piece of dust, swirl mark, imperfection 10X more than any other color.
Old 03-22-2002, 08:38 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Thanks Shawn. I have taken to quietly sitting on the side lines reading this. For those of you who criticize Shawn's driving method's with a 6 spd.... well, never mind. Any NEW car that is a manual drives differently than the last manual you had. Anyone with any kind of road experience knows this. I have owned about 11 3, 4, 5 speeds and each was very different. I have found that for whatever reason, FWD manuals are more difficult to drive smoothly than RWD manuals.

Manuals:
1960 348CI Impala 3 speed on the column
1970 VW bug 3 speed
1968 AMX 390 4 speed
1972 Javelin AMX 4 speed
1974 BMW Bavaria 4 speed
1974 Toyota Celica 4 speed
1979 VW Beetle convertible 4 speed
1989 Nissan Maxima 5 speed
1982 BMW 633Csi 5 speed
1991 Mits 3000GT VR4
1998 Nissan Maxima SE 5 speed

Each of those cars had very different driving and shifting clutch characteristics. For you criticizers... smoke a doobie and chill.
Old 03-22-2002, 09:02 AM
1st Gear

Great review

I also test drove the CLS 6MT a few days back. Not being a regular manual trans driver it did take me a few to get adjusted to it. Very smooth shifts though. I did not find the miss shifts problem Shawn did. But my being not so experienced with manual might have helped as I consciously was concentrating on the shifts in order not to miss it.

Was a great ride on the whole. Don't know if I can get the car though as its a tad out of budget now. Have to play the numbers game.

Did you buy the car Shawn?

Also did anyone notice an out of focus point in the windshield? I test drove it at night and am not sure if it was the HIDs. I am not used to HIDs so it may have been that, but the wind shield seemed to have a little blurriness towards the middle.
Old 03-22-2002, 10:08 AM
Banned

Originally posted by gto2050
I have found that for whatever reason, FWD manuals are more difficult to drive smoothly than RWD manuals.
If you are off the throttle too much when you let out the clutch, the engine will try to slow down the drive wheels very quickly. In a FWD car, its like jamming on the front brake on a bicycle. Nosedive.
Old 03-22-2002, 10:18 AM
Burning Brakes

I have always driven a manual. 20 years. The cl did take some getting used to. I've had this car for 10 days now and I feels completely natural. The clutch is quite different as well. It grabs quick. It took some getting used to as well. The short throw on the gearbox is quite nice.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:37 AM
Cruisin'

Shifting Problem, or Engine Problem?

OK,

I've had my 6-speed CL for about two weeks now, and 1,000 miles under my belt. The shifter was pretty easy for me, as well as the clutch. First gear can be tricky form a dead stop, and I did go from 5th to 2nd once but caught it easily before the engine could over-rev. My biggest complaint, and no one has stated it in this thread, is that the engine rpm hangs between shifts. It takes almost two seconds for the rpm to drop when shifting, so the engine is at the optimal speed for the next gear. 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd shifts are most noticeable, and exaggerates the quick engagement of the clutch more than anything else.

I was back to the dealer this morning, and the service tech said to me "There's nothing wrong, just let the clutch out slower!" Neither the tech or the service manager were willing to offer even a "we'll look at it," swearing there was nothing wrong with the engine. Having driven stick cars since 1957 at age 11, trust me when I tell you there IS SOMETHING WRONG with the CL 6-speed setup! Only when I told them I was going to complain to the factory, did they offer to "look into it further!" (BTW - As a computer system engineer and an auto enthusiast, I'm fairly knowledgeable when it comes to auto computer control circuits, etc.)

As nice as this car is to try drive, it should be and can be better! So, I welcome your feedback and will keep you all posted with my findings. As I told Shawn, if they can't fix it I'll do it myself.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:42 AM
Team Owner

WOW....This is an OLD thread.

BTW...The “RPM Hang” issue has been discussed in a few 6-Speed threads recently.
I’m going to check my HELM tonight and see if there is any mention of how it is supposed to work.
I’ve gotten used to it and it doesn’t really bother me.

Shawn S
Old 05-14-2002, 09:58 AM
Drifting

Your getting new rims Shawn?!?!...oh wait...I mean nice honest review of the 6spd! Made me wish I had bought the 6spd instead of the automatic...if I knew how to drive stick that is. Hrmmmmm...what kind of new rims are you planning to get? Well I can't wait until you mod'd your car!
Old 05-14-2002, 10:04 AM
Team Owner

Before you REPLY, please take note this thread is TWO MONTHS old.

Shawn S

PS.....I already have the RIMS & MODS I was speaking of.
Old 05-14-2002, 10:19 AM
Banned

I've test driven four or five 6 speeds and didn't notice any rpm hang problems. But here's a theory. When you clutch, you normally back off the throttle. When you let the clutch out, you have to give it more gas again. If you don't give it enough gas, the engine will be spinning slower than the wheels and the car will nosedive. I haven't driven a stick in two years, but I was surprised how smoothly I was able to shift for being that out of practice. So maybe Acura programmed the computer to help smooth out the shifts if the driver is quick. I know its still possible to let the clutch out with very little gas because one of the salesmen wasn't such a great stick driver and did it repeatedly.
Old 05-14-2002, 10:49 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Shawn S

Before you REPLY, please take note this thread is TWO MONTHS old.

Shawn S

PS.....I already have the RIMS & MODS I was speaking of.
Hehehehhe...it would help if I probably paid a little more attention wouldn't it?