Service Bulletins Number for Wraped Brake Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by silverstarr:
<STRONG>

TypeSKid,

Where does it state this rotor coverage up to 50k miles? I'm just curious because it seems that some dealers are not willing to cover this under warranty and consider this a "wear and tear" item.

I'm taking my car in on Monday. I haven't been happy with the braking for a few thousand miles now (I have 13k mi.) I experience shuddering when braking and the steering wheel vibration when braking at high speeds. Honda/Acura needs to get a lesson from BMW or Toyota/Lexus in the brake department!</STRONG>

3 different dealerships FAXED IT TO ME IN WRITING!!!

1) Rosenthal Acura in MD.
2) Radley Acura in Woodbridge,
3) Riddle Acura in Cheasapeake.

I used that as AMMO.

Pohanka doesn't know WHAT THE FUCK they are doing.

A DIPSHIT named John Goings, didn't even know what the warranty says and he's the head of service.
Old 08-12-2001, 11:40 PM
Advanced

My question is that my 2001 CL-S is 2 days old and if I can anticipate problems with the rotors and pads then do I wait for things to warp and/or go bad or can I demand that better ones be put on NOW while the car has only 100 miles on it???!! This is insane!! This thread came to my attention simply because after 2 days of driving in the rain I noticed rust on the rotors and started trying to find out if this was normal (which I guess it is) but came across these other issues with the rotors and pads that are concern for even owners with new cars.

Should I do anything now or wait for the problems to occur in a year or two?? What happens - a vibration while breaking??

Rustito
Old 08-13-2001, 01:05 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by CLS899:
<STRONG>We must notify NHTSA.dot.gov about the brake rotor warpage problems on our cars. Honda cars had brake rotor warpage problems for years. Cutting the brake rotors does not solve the warping problem. After cutting the rotors they will warp even more. The rotors have to be replaced with improved rotors and brake pads. We must demand new brake rotors and brake pads. not rotor cutting.</STRONG>
Yes this is true that Honda's have had the probem for years. My dads 1988 Accord had the same problem and he told me he raised hell until they fixed it under warrenty. Then he traided in the car 5 months later for a new 1991 Accord . Well we shouldn't be complaning that much at least the tires are not lossing there tred and blowing off the rim(and killing over 200 people (ford) .
Old 08-13-2001, 05:48 PM
Instructor

originally posted by Rustito:

My question is that my 2001 CL-S is 2 days old and if I can anticipate problems with the rotors and pads then do I wait for things to warp and/or go bad or can I demand that better ones be put on NOW while the car has only 100 miles on it???!! This is insane!! This thread came to my attention simply because after 2 days of driving in the rain I noticed rust on the rotors and started trying to find out if this was normal (which I guess it is) but came across these other issues with the rotors and pads that are concern for even owners with new cars.
Should I do anything now or wait for the problems to occur in a year or two?? What happens - a vibration while breaking (sic)??
Rusty Rotor,

I noticed you wrote "breaking" instead of "braking." (LOL) Was that a Freudian slip? Chill out man. You seem to be the first person that I've met who's more neurotic about potential electromechanical f@#kups than I am. Since I live in the Washinton D.C. metro area, I can understand your fear of not being able to BRAKE safely.

[ 08-13-2001: Message edited by: technoid ]
Old 08-13-2001, 06:50 PM
Instructor

As Acura does not properly respond to the brake rotor warpage, we have no choice, but to report the problem to NHTSA or file a class action suit. Almost every CLS owner I have spoken to have brake rotor warpage problem. This is a serious problem and must be addressed by Acura.
Old 08-13-2001, 06:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
I think "acura_service" guy wanted to get an offical answer from Acura.
Whats the offical Acura policy of wrapped rotors ???
Old 08-13-2001, 07:18 PM
Drifting

Well I have only 7200 miles and mine are warped so let me know what # for NHTSA to call if thats what we are going to do!!
Old 08-13-2001, 08:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll love this... Just got mine last Thursday. I was on the phone bitching them out 1st thing Friday morning about the horendous (sp?) steering wheel vibration while braking. The car had 25 miles on it when delivered. Granted, the car sat on the lot since Feb01, but still no excuse to deliver a $30k automobile to a customer with brakes this bad. I took it in today, they (Acura of Columbus) had stated on Friday that the best they could do was "cut" the rotors, as per Acura policy. Bullshit! When I arrived, the service rep stated he felt I was pretty upset, so he ordered me "new" rotors! About noon today I get a call stating the rears are where the problem lies. So he's overnighting those for a Tuesday install. "Go ahead and keep driving the loaner for another day" he says. I informed that's great, but hang the damn front ones he allready ordered as well! You don't get steering wheel vibration from rear rotor issues. So, looks like I'm getting 4 new rotors..... we'll see. Keep ya'll posted.

This SUX!!!!!!!!!
Jim

[ 08-13-2001: Message edited by: mackdaddy ]

[ 08-13-2001: Message edited by: mackdaddy ]
Old 08-13-2001, 08:58 PM
www.drippinwet.com

everyone talks about how bad this rotor thing is, i hope thats the worst thing that happens to my car, big deal, cut em, or replace em, its covered
Old 08-13-2001, 09:17 PM
Learn to swim

Originally posted by acura_service:
<STRONG>everyone talks about how bad this rotor thing is, i hope thats the worst thing that happens to my car, big deal, cut em, or replace em, its covered</STRONG>
What's to say the new ones don't warp in 15k miles? Cutting rotors increases the chances of cracking them.
I didn't spend 30k on a car to replace the rotors every 20k miles.
The last time I checked, the pads should wear out before the damn rotors.
Old 08-13-2001, 09:20 PM
www.drippinwet.com

i've worked at a dealer for 14 years, i maybe saw 2 cracked rotors one was on my e350 van, its acura's policy , when your paying you can tell them to do whatever you like (i don't mean that in a smart way)
its just there footing the bill so we have to go by there rules
Old 08-13-2001, 10:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
I comletly agree, cutting rotors every 15-20K miles is unacceptable !!!!!
You can not keep resurfacing rotors constantly, if you do it few times they become really thin, and therefore must be replaced.
Those bastards want to do things the cheap way, they figured they will do it once under waranty, and there will never be next time. Next time will be after 50K miles when you are stocked with bad rotors, and will have to pay your own money to put new rotors!!!
Old 08-14-2001, 09:39 PM
www.drippinwet.com

at least acura covers them under the 48/50 warranty, there are alot of mfg's that have either no warranty on pads and rotors, or just 12/12
Old 08-15-2001, 02:35 AM
Instructor

I am thinking of ordering 4 cross-drilled rotors with some HP pads and see how this works out.

Anyone out there with upgraded brakes on their cl-s?

The vibration in my steering wheel is rediculous and acura is disapointing me with every mile

I still think the honda/acura line of automobiles are the nicest looking cars out there. That is why I bought a cl-s. I knew it was gonna feel cheep and have shitty breaks, but I also intended to upgrade the brakes/tires anyways.
Old 08-19-2001, 11:39 AM
Instructor

NOLACLS,

NHTSA e mail address is : NHTSA.dot.gov

We with brake rotor problems should contact NHTSA.
Old 08-19-2001, 12:10 PM
At least it's not Jersey

Same rotor problem here. Acura of Milford replaced both pas and rotors. I asked the service manager why he didn’t resurface, his answer: "I don't do that." So, it's definitely dealer dependant on whether or not they're going to do it. Shit, they even replace my wiper blades w/o me mentioning it.
Old 08-19-2001, 08:28 PM
www.drippinwet.com

he can get audited for "doing just that"