serious discrepancy with odometers

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002 | 09:58 AM
The Creator

Zapata, my point was... it seems some of you are just looking for a reason to bitch & complain...

You exemplify that by pointing out how you are completely satisified with your cars behavior...

Yet, you are going on and on about how shitty this is of Acura.

It just appears to me that ya really couldn't give a shit about this at all and ya just want to fight about something.

But thats just one mans opinion, I could be wrong.
Old 04-29-2002 | 10:04 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

There is a problem. And i'm pointing it out and saying that Acura should figure out a way to make it better. How is pointing out a problem bitching for no reason??????

Yeah, it's called the duality of nature. Things are always one way or another. They aren't on OR off. It's not always good or evil. There are gray areas.

Sure I love my car but if there is something wrong i shouldn't discuss it????

How can you say I don't care about the issue? What did I say or do to demonstrate my apathy about the problem at hand???? Nothing.

Originally posted by soopa
Zapata, my point was... it seems some of you are just looking for a reason to bitch & complain...

You exemplify that by pointing out how you are completely satisified with your cars behavior...

Yet, you are going on and on about how shitty this is of Acura.

It just appears to me that ya really couldn't give a shit about this at all and ya just want to fight about something.

But thats just one mans opinion, I could be wrong.
Old 04-29-2002 | 10:08 AM
Adult Supervision

Soopa,

You on Prozak or something? Found Christ? What is it? You seem to have this new "Kumbahyah" attitude recently...

Old 04-29-2002 | 10:10 AM
Team Owner

I never thought one SMILEY face could cause so much hostility.
I’ve used the “CRYBABY” one before here, and most people take it for what it is.....A JOKE.

As for the ORIGINAL topic, I guess I had better comment on it since I’m being accused of “ignoring” the issue.
I think ALL odometers are probably off by a bit and some are probably off towards the POSITIVE side of the equation meaning they record LESS miles on the car.

When you take tire wear, temperature, road conditions, and several years of actual driving into account, I’m surprised they can be as accurate as they are.

As for the “everything is peachy keen in your world” comment, I don’t get that either.
Odds are I have the same INACCURATE components installed in my car.

Let’s everybody just calm down a bit here.
I think we all need to gather around the fire and sing some John Denver tunes.
I’ll bring my guitar.

Shawn S
Old 04-29-2002 | 10:13 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Shawn S
I never thought one SMILEY face could cause so much hostility.
I’ve used the “CRYBABY” one before here, and most people take it for what it is.....A JOKE.

As for the ORIGINAL topic, I guess I had better comment on it since I’m being accused of “ignoring” the issue.
I think ALL odometers are probably off by a bit and some are probably off towards the POSITIVE side of the equation meaning they record LESS miles on the car.

When you take tire wear, temperature, road conditions, and several years of actual driving into account, I’m surprised they can be as accurate as they are.

As for the “everything is peachy keen in your world” comment, I don’t get that either.
Odds are I have the same INACCURATE components installed in my car.

Let’s everybody just calm down a bit here.
I think we all need to gather around the fire and sing some John Denver tunes.
I’ll bring my guitar.

Shawn S

Let's start with thank god i'm a country boy....even though i'm not

How about some CCR???? That's some upbeat music
Old 04-29-2002 | 10:29 AM
Banned

i just want to make a comment to those who obviously support my post to shawn S. I know that many of us have noticed his behavior and attitude around here and i appreciate the support from those of you that agree with me....im also very sure that there are more that didnt publicly say anything about it but who also agree with me. Shawn S obviously has alot of knowledge and experience in these cars...however the way he presents himself is typically very poor. maybe this will help him to wake up and come across like a decent human being and not such a pompus ass. in my post, i did not degrade myself or anyone else, i simply stated thruths about how he presents himself...im dont bitching about it now but im very glad that some of you have the balls to call shawn on his game like i did.

regarding the odometer, i guess 1.5% isnt too bad...i just cant imagine that in this day and age, people cant get it 100% accurate...we can put people on the moon and create supercomputers capable of ungoddly things and yet every car on the road has a bad odometer....oh well
Old 04-29-2002 | 10:44 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by jimcol711
Shawn S obviously has alot of knowledge and experience in these cars...however the way he presents himself is typically very poor. maybe this will help him to wake up and come across like a decent human being and not such a pompus ass.
Sorry BUDDY......I’m a pompous ASS for life. Take the good with the bad.
Nothing YOU say or do is gonna change THAT.

Get used to it or leave.
And you could always add me to your “ignore” list.
Actually I would appreciate it if you did. It might cut down a lot of useless arguments.

Pass the marshmallows.

Shawn S
Old 04-29-2002 | 11:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Before this gets closed

My 2002 is dead on. I took a 1200 mile trip, I have done in other cars, & have not seen a difference. I also go with the mile markers on the road, & have also been dead on. I have used the speed machines that police put on the side of the road, & also been good.
Old 04-29-2002 | 12:03 PM
Adult Supervision

Originally posted by Shawn S
Sorry BUDDY......I’m a pompous ASS for life. Take the good with the bad.
Nothing YOU say or do is gonna change THAT.

Get used to it or leave.
And you could always add me to your “ignore” list.
Actually I would appreciate it if you did. It might cut down a lot of useless arguments.

Pass the marshmallows.

Shawn S
Mandi?! Is THAT YOU?!
Old 04-29-2002 | 12:17 PM
The Creator

I guess I'll chime in on the actual issue now...

My navi seems to be dead right about distance... it is in synch with road markers etc etc... and my odo seems to be in synch with my navi.

But i wont be ignorant and say its perfect... i know better. ALL CARS ODOS ARE OFF. Even nicer cars then ours are off by greater margins.

Things as simple as poor tire pressure will screw with your readings.

Heres another one... if you spin your tires at every light... you could in theory put an additional 500 miles on your odo every 5 years that you didnt actually travel. heh
Old 04-29-2002 | 12:18 PM
The Creator

Originally posted by MikeS 18
Soopa,

You on Prozak or something? Found Christ? What is it? You seem to have this new "Kumbahyah" attitude recently...
Hi there

Old 04-29-2002 | 12:57 PM
Adult Supervision

Ahh...no more DSB eh?
Old 04-29-2002 | 02:03 PM
Senior Moderator

jimcol711, you think shawn s can be annoying, you should try reading some of your posts from an outside point of view. you have quickly become the master of negativity and confrontationality. just thought you might wanna know.
Old 04-29-2002 | 04:18 PM
Banned

im just not afraid to call a spade a spade around here...im not afraid to tell stuff like it is...tell me one thing in my post about shawn S that isnt correct...i mean, sure, i cant verify how miserable his wife is with his materializm...but i think its pretty safe to say....and anyone who hasnt noticed how everything he has and does is better than all of us...wake up...look at that guy..i guess hes right...pompus ass for life...whatever i dont want to waste any more time on this, everyone knows how shawn s is...and most agree with me, ill take satisfaction in that..i made my point..
Old 04-29-2002 | 05:40 PM
Team Owner

i cant verify how miserable his wife is with his materializm...but i think its pretty safe to say...........and most agree with me, ill take satisfaction in that..i made my point..
Next month is my TEN-YEAR ANNIVERSARY, so I must be doing something right.

I have MANY more friends then foes here.
Give it up already Mr. “master of negativity”.

Shawn S
Old 04-29-2002 | 06:05 PM
Banned

i do have to say shawn that your new lable under your name made me laugh my ass off...good one!
Old 04-29-2002 | 06:15 PM
Team Owner

i do have to say shawn that your new lable under your name made me laugh my ass off...good one!
Thanks….I was wondering when someone was going to notice that.

Let’s end this on a positive note….PEACE.

Shawn S
Old 04-29-2002 | 06:56 PM
The Creator

for last time.... CUT THE SHIT!
Old 04-29-2002 | 06:59 PM
Banned

yo soopa, chill dude its a peaceful ending!!
Old 04-29-2002 | 07:19 PM
Race Director

kumbayah... i think you guys all need to have a group hug gotta admit sometimes these arguments get annoying but other times (like this one) they are just plain entertaining.
Old 04-29-2002 | 08:03 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by kensteele
Unfortunately this is a fact of life with all cars. I'm not trying to be an ass but the discrepancy that you mentioned is not serious at all. Manufacturers are not required to built odometer that are exact. In fact, nothing on the planet is exact, why should the odometer be exact. A minor discrepancy is ok and legal. I'm thinking a major discrepancy would be if you drove 100 miles and your odometer read 150 miles. If you drove 100 miles and your odometer read 108, that's not major.

I agree. Thats 950 miles with two totally diff. cars and only a 2-3 per cent discrepancy shared between them. Whoopteedoo.

So long as your car puts on miles at the same rate and is within an acceptable range of closeness... thats all that matters.

How was this test set up to begin with? Was it scientific? Was the air pressure in both cars at the right level? ...:sqnteek:
Old 04-30-2002 | 07:36 AM
Instructor

Acura odometers are reading high. Some Acura leasers have gotten money from Acura for this problem..
Old 04-30-2002 | 08:06 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by CLS899
Acura odometers are reading high. Some Acura leasers have gotten money from Acura for this problem..
Which is a good thing. You fight your own battles, instead of chalking it up to conspiracy, fraud, and theft on the part of the manufacturer.

People do this ALL THE TIME with Hondas, Fords, Toyotas, Chevys, BMWs,.......shall I go on?

Edit: You know I couldn't be a judge. Because if someone came into the courtroom and told me that there was a conspiracy amongst auto manufacturers to inflate odometers in order to turn a [bigger] profit, I would hold that idiot in contempt and lock him up for 2 days (as payment for wasting the court's time). No joke.
Old 04-30-2002 | 08:08 PM
Instructor

regarding the odometer, i guess 1.5% isnt too bad...i just cant imagine that in this day and age, people cant get it 100% accurate...we can put people on the moon and create supercomputers capable of ungoddly things and yet every car on the road has a bad odometer....oh well
You're being unreasonable unless you're volunteering to pay a lot for that accuracy. It costs an insane amount of money to put a man on the moon, and supercomputers cost a fortune just for daily maintenance. The cheapest way to measure distance is by measuing tire rotation, but accuracy depends on exact tire size, wear, inflation pressure (tire temperature affects this too), slippage, ... but more sophisticated (inertial, etc.) methods take a big leap in cost.

OK, you made me search the web, and here's an interesting article on speedometer accuracy:

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...er.xml?&page=1

Interesting excepts:

"Sorted by price, luxury cars are the least accurate, and cars costing less than $20,000 are the most accurate. By category, sports cars indicate higher speeds than sedans or trucks. Cars built in Europe exaggerate more than Japanese cars, which in turn fib more than North American ones. And by manufacturer, GM's domestic products are the most accurate, and BMW's are the least accurate by far. One other trend: Only 13 of our 200 test speedos registered below true 70 mph, and only three of those were below 69 mph, while 90 vehicles indicated higher than 71 mph. Are our cars trying to keep us out of traffic court?"

The article explains the likely reason that European cars err on the high side more than others. Here's a bit on US laws:

"So we sought out the rule book to find out just how much accuracy is mandated. In the U.S., manufacturers voluntarily follow the standard set by the Society of Automotive Engineers, J1226, which is pretty lax. To begin with, manufacturers are afforded the latitude to aim for within plus-or-minus two percent of absolute accuracy or to introduce bias to read high on a sliding scale of from minus-one to plus-three percent at low speeds to zero to plus-four percent above 55 mph. And those percentages are not of actual speed but rather a percentage of the total speed range indicated on the dial. So the four-percent allowable range on an 85-mph speedometer is 3.4 mph, and the acceptable range on a 150-mph speedometer is 6.0 mph."
Old 04-30-2002 | 09:33 PM
CL 6 speeder

re-calibration

This comment applies to all automoblies made today (so go ahead and flame me all of you out there is forum world).
Modern cars use an electronic signal (no more cables) that is sent to the speedometer. It seems that this (I imagine) microproccesor controlled speedometer could have a programable calibration. Say in revolutions per mile (for the tires currently in use). One could then easily re-calibrate for different diameter tires and also, if you find that your speedo is off, one could dial in a different rev/mile to compensate.
Speedo calibration could be done easily at any dealer where your car could be on a dyno-like test set with rollers with a test set speedo.
Old 04-30-2002 | 09:54 PM
Race Director

Re: re-calibration

Originally posted by joeandcarol2
This comment applies to all automoblies made today (so go ahead and flame me all of you out there is forum world).
Modern cars use an electronic signal (no more cables) that is sent to the speedometer. It seems that this (I imagine) microproccesor controlled speedometer could have a programable calibration. Say in revolutions per mile (for the tires currently in use). One could then easily re-calibrate for different diameter tires and also, if you find that your speedo is off, one could dial in a different rev/mile to compensate.
Speedo calibration could be done easily at any dealer where your car could be on a dyno-like test set with rollers with a test set speedo.
There simply is no demand for such a thing.

For the two or three dozen people who "think" they need this?

If this "feature" cost $100 extra, would you pay for it?

It's not going to happen because nobody neither wants it nor needs it.

This is a car, not a rocket ship.
Old 04-30-2002 | 10:05 PM
CL 6 speeder

rocket ship

well it seems to me it would not add much cost to the car and I think accurate speedometers and odometers (remember i said that you could use this to compensate for speedo errors as well as new tire sizes) are something most drivers would like to have.. I am not a gadget person. I dont care for memory seats, nav systems, garage door openers but lots of drivers like them and pay for them...
Actually I'm a physicist who works as an electronics engineer. What I am proposing should be easy and useful.
Old 04-30-2002 | 10:28 PM
///M POWER

Car and driver did a report on the odometer and the speedometer. I remember Fords's were the most off, Gm was the most exact, and Honda/Acura were near the top of the list of the acuuracy of the spedometer and odometer.
Old 05-01-2002 | 09:18 PM
Race Director

Re: rocket ship

Originally posted by joeandcarol2
well it seems to me it would not add much cost to the car and I think accurate speedometers and odometers (remember i said that you could use this to compensate for speedo errors as well as new tire sizes) are something most drivers would like to have.. I am not a gadget person. I dont care for memory seats, nav systems, garage door openers but lots of drivers like them and pay for them...
Actually I'm a physicist who works as an electronics engineer. What I am proposing should be easy and useful.
Most drivers? In the 30+ years I have been listening to people talk about cars, I have never heard anyone say "you know, I wish I could recalibrate my speedometer." When just a few more people need it, it will happen.

Memory seats---->Takes the hassle out of adjusting to seat to a setting that not quite where you want it. It's a hassle to keep readjusting every week or more often.

Nav systems----->Tell you where to go, when to go, how far to go, and how to get there because some people don't know this and would very much like to know. Others don't care for it. It's still an option.

Garage door openers----->It's raining, I don't want to get wet. The garage door is heavy, let a machine do the lifting for me. I have two doors, that could be double the lifting depending on which bay is full. An opener is convenient and useful.

Electronic speedometer calibration device---->Now I can get my speedometer to be more accurate. That way when my speed changes one million times over the course of the day, I'll know exactly how fast the ground is going underneath me the 2,000 times that I actually glance at the speedometer and the needle stays steady. Granted I have no concept whatsoever about speed and distance, my senses just aren't that fine tuned. But if I'm know the "reading" is wrong, somehow I'm just not comfortable when things unless it's exact. I feel like I am being deceived; and it's costing me.

Sorry. Obviously I'm being sarcastic and filled in the negative side, perhaps you can write a simple short postive statement that would be repeated over and over my millions of drivers nationwide when asked "So what does your electronic speedometer calibration device do for you?" Not a damn thing....