salvaged vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 05:34 PM
werd

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
salvaged vehicles

I recently saw on autotrader a few 2001 cl type s rides for sale at about 17k with pretty low miles, like under 30k. so i saw one that i was interested in more than any other... i like black. anyway, i called dood and he says that it was salvaged.

now my question is, what the hell do i look for? whats a good price for a fully loaded salvaged 2001 type s? fuck salvaged cars? a loan processor once told me that loans are hard to acquire for salvaged cars because they car won't hold resale value.

any comments?
Old 05-14-2002, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it depends what the salvage title is from, is it water damage, fire, accident, hail(not likely on a 30k car).
Old 05-14-2002, 05:50 PM
Balla on a Budget

Personnaly I would never buy a Salvaged car! Those cars are so hard to sell when you want to get rid of it. There are reasons that the car is salvaged, and that the Insurance would not insure it as a "clean vehicle." Just my 2 Cents.
Old 05-14-2002, 06:26 PM
werd

the cl was smashed from the rear, i guess the crumple zones gave in and just destroyed the car? there is no damage to the engine whatsoever, but i mean, you can't even finance a salvaged car and selling its a bitch so i guess its pointless, unless i was 75 and planned on not selling it
Old 05-14-2002, 06:29 PM
Retired Post Whore

Never buy a salvaged car. You dont know what you going to buy. There might be other structural damages to the car that the salvage yard wont tell you about.
Old 05-14-2002, 06:57 PM
www.drippinwet.com

i bought a salvage mustang gt once, it was a theft recovery, the place that i bought it from usually only deals with salvage vehicles, the car had 9,000 miles on it and was around 8 months old, the window sticker was under the seat (vin matched on it) - it was 17,000 and change, and i paid 10,200 wheels and tires were stolen, interior lights, and the steering column ign lock and left door lock was punched out, the guy showed me receipts from the local ford dealer, and pictures of the repairs, i thought it came out good it was dk emerald green with grey star wheels, and grey on the bottom, the car was the most trouble free vehicle i have ever owned only had one problem other than normal maint, a check engine light came on at 15,000 miles, it was a transmission speed sensor (leaking also) it was around 70 bucks incl diagnosis (we don't sell or service fords, so i had to pay full price at the local ford dealer) i later sold the car for 4,000 in 8 years later i had just over 60,000 miles on it

but on the darker side, i have heard horror stories about salvage vehicles, - if your looking into one, try to get a history on the car, and get it from someone who actually cares about selling and repairing them (the guy i bought it from has a great operation and doens't want any after the fact trouble so he repairs them right instead of going for a quick buck) the only thing you can do is all the research on it and hope for the best. but just think you can get a troublesome vehicle brand new
Old 05-14-2002, 07:01 PM
werd

i dont need the extra stress, fuck salvaged vehicles...

hah its just annoying, i saw everything i wanted to see on the ad,
"type s w/navi, only 11,000 miles, fully loaded 16990$!"

i was like whoa - fuckin didnt add "salvage" to the ad...
Old 05-14-2002, 08:17 PM
Suzuka Master

don't do it man. i've heard stories about it. in some places, like in miami, some people don't really care what has happened to the car. if they find 2 that's 1 w/ front end and the other w/ the rear damaged. these fuckers will saw it in half and well the two together. and they'll do a damn good job on it too. you won't be able to tell by looking. but if you're unlucky enough to get into an accident and realized that your ass is on the ground along with driver seat. Then you'll realize your ride has just been split in 2. just imagine that.

i almost got one a few months ago thinking it was a good buy. then realized that this shit could happened to me. and on top of that, the insurance won't insurance it.

I'm glad you realized it not worth the trouble you're putting yourself into. good luck in looking for something better.
Old 05-14-2002, 08:20 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by Chinisimo
and on top of that, the insurance won't insurance it.

i had full coverage on mine, if i had to do it over again though, i wouldn't - i think i got lucky with a good car
Old 05-14-2002, 10:57 PM
Cruisin'

It depends if you know what you are looking at. I would stay away from flood vehicles. You can clean up a flood salvaged car easily but will give you problems in the future. Structurally damaged cars usually can be repaired adequately. If both airbags deploy, you are already looking at several thousand dollars worth of repairs so sometimes the vehicle has to be totaled. Insurance companies still can insure salvage title vehicles as they do not do title checks. Just be aware they are not going to pay for pre-existing damage to the vehicle.
Old 05-14-2002, 11:32 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by acura_service

i had full coverage on mine, if i had to do it over again though, i wouldn't - i think i got lucky with a good car
This was DEFINATELY the EXCEPTION and NOT THE RULE!!!! Glad you had such a good experience, but personally, I would NEVER buy a salvaged car. No way to tell what really happened!!! Not worth the risk or the headaches!!!!
I have a car fax account if you want me to run the VIN!!!
Old 05-15-2002, 09:55 PM
10th Gear

Its just depend how good your body shop is. Salvage title doesn't alway means the cars is heavily damage. My brother just auction 2 CL-S, 1 of them only 5K silver like new got hit on quarter panel an the corner, not affect the frame or engine and its still green title i was going to keep that one until he bought another one with NAV and about 25K same color and this one is also got hit in the corner but not as bad as the other one and its got salvage title. So what i'm trying to say is i have seen alot of car got heavily damage and have green title and alot with very light hit and got salvage. I just lucky that i have a brother do body shop and he do a very good job that you could not notice. He replaced anything that is damage and avoid bondo as much as he can. He bought mine damage for 9500 + parts and labor come out to around 14K. I drove for 2 months and have no problem at all , its feel like a new car. and i still have some money for mod. hehe