Sad but asshole drivers should YIELD!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by fahoumh
Here in Ontario, the left lane is for passing only and if a cop sees you just sitting there then they will give you a ticket...no joke.
Now, that's what I'm talking about . Restricting the flow of traffic should be punishable by jail time (or maybe death)

Use your rear view mirror, use your directional, and move the fuck over. Thanks, have a nice day

As I mentioned before, Maine has "Left lane for passing only" signs posted on the turnpike. I don't know if it's a state law, or just merely a suggestion, but I'd have to lean toward the point that it's a ME state law.

If more states adopted this type of program of posting signs, maybe the clueless left lane bandits would finally understand that they are not "playing by the rules" and move over.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:05 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fahourmh and green, almost all states have laws on the book about slower traffic keep right and left lane for passing only. But it is difficult to enforce effectively. Unless a cop follows you and you are just camping in the left lane and nobody else is around, yes you will probably get ticketed. But that doesn't help us. Because that's about 5% of the left lanes bandits. Those aren't the ones that annoy you and I. You just go around them on the right without even slowing down since nobody else is around. Only a fool would pull up behind him and beg him to move over. If the cop tickets them now, that won't stop them from doing this later:

What's the most common type of LLB that just kills us:

1.Old man passing cars on the left at such a slow overtake rate of speed that it will take either 2 years or 2,000 miles to pass the line of 500 cars building up on the right. :angry:

2.Old lady who is passing traffic on the right just fast enough that once they get in front of the slower car instead of them moving over to the right into the now [small] gap, they close in on the next line-up of cars on the right and you have to go thru their idiotic passing routine all over again. And again...and again.

3.Young kid entering the freeway on the right, immediately crosses three lanes and camps on the far left #1 lane when there is absolutely nobody in the #2 and #3 lanes. It's a bad habit but some people think that is exactly how to get onto the freeway.

4.Commuter guy who likes to drive in the freeway left lane "where it is most comfortable" and they don't have to deal with the next 15 upcoming right-side on-ramps containing idiot drivers who don't know how to merge. You would drive in the left lane too if every 1/4 mile, a group of 6 bumper-to-bumper cars try to enter the freeway on the right all in a clump instead of spreading it out. Or how about just driving in the left lane because stupid drivers try to enter the 65-mph freeway at 40 mph and won't use the ramp as an acceleration lane. In some states, these ramps are so short that either cars enter slowly or they stop [and wait] before entering. Driving in the right lane on the freeway is just plain dangerous.

5.Or finally the woman who tailgates the driver in the right lane for 10 miles and you can see this a mile away. Does she pass in the left and get back in the right before you arrive on the scene? No, she continues to tailgate the slow car until you are just about up on them and then she decides to move left, right in front of you, causing you to brake while she takes 15 seconds to simply get in front of the slow car. So you brake it down, wait for her, and speed back up....and when you get far up ahead, the scene is your rearview mirror is the opposite of what you saw earlier when you approached it; now the cars are reversed with the woman in front with the slow guy tailgating her. That's fine but why did they have to do their switch game just when you got there? Could they wait till I zoomed by?

Five of the most annoying left lane driving habits. This is in Maine and the signs are posted. So tell me, who gets ticketed by the cops for driving (not passing) in the left lane? #1? #2? #3? #4? #5? or neither.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
#3 gets the ticket, especially if he has a fartcan exhaust

I agree that enforcement can be spotty at best, but the fact that it's posted on the Maine turnpike made the left lane less populated then I've seen in most places (with out signs).

The clueless just need to be reminded, then there is nothing to enforce.

edit: It reminds me of that paraphrase from 6th sense.

I see dumb people, and they don't even know they're dumb.

There are alot of "stupid people" who have alot more "important" things to think about other than driving. I just need to learn to deal with then in more productive manners.

Hmmm.. maybe a "slow traffic keep right" bumper sticker for the CLS and a "67hp, please pass" sticker for the bus
Old 06-06-2003, 10:45 PM
Safety Car

the only way to change the way idiots drive is to have a new licensing-like europe with the high price and driver training. our test is really weak, all i had to do was drive around the block without running someone over and then do a k turn/parallel park-ready for the highways after that.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:56 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't know where you people get your ideas about how it is to drive in europe. I will have to take some pics next business trip to france/spain/germany/belgium. It sucks to drive over there, people passing in all lanes, people passing between lanes, slow drivers on all lanes, people flying by the traffic cops, etc etc etc.
And most of the cars (and trucks) aren't maintained well over there. Europe does not have the love of the auto like we do in the US. The #1 use of a Benz in france is for taxi cabs. Their gas/insurance and purchase cost are very high. They are also more 'people' oriented rather than 'thing' oriented.