SAAB 9-3 Arc 6 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003 | 01:50 PM
Homeless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAAB 9-3 Arc 6 Speed

Any one here own one? Any thoughts, etc?

I'm thinking of trading the 01 CLS on the ARC 6 speed and looking for input on this model. They've got some huge fucking rebates right now & 0% financing, so I'm giving it some serious thought.

*Some bonuses with the Saab:
Car is loaded, 48 month warranty, 36 month free scheduled maintenance, 300 watt stereo & 220+lbs of torque stock...
doesn't sound bad.

Thanks in advance for the comments.
Old 06-22-2003 | 02:19 PM
East Coast Boost.!

Personally I'm not a big fan of Saabs. Esp with the manuals.
Recently, got to drive 9-3 6 speed and I wa really impressed with the handling and the gearbox. I work valet, so i didn't do a pussy test drive. I got to beat...a little
Old 06-22-2003 | 04:05 PM
Pro

Don't do it, my aunt and uncle decided to take advantage of those rebates and incentives and bought a 9-3 ARC 5-spd. Sure the car handles well but it is continually in the shop for random stuff, the latest was a loud clunk whenever they were turning left. They are getting rid of it this weekend and picking up a Cadillac CTS instead. Serioulsy look at the reliability of these cars and the reputation they carry.
Old 06-22-2003 | 05:33 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by MJMeucci
Don't do it, my aunt and uncle decided to take advantage of those rebates and incentives and bought a 9-3 ARC 5-spd. Sure the car handles well but it is continually in the shop for random stuff, the latest was a loud clunk whenever they were turning left. They are getting rid of it this weekend and picking up a Cadillac CTS instead. Serioulsy look at the reliability of these cars and the reputation they carry.
That's too bad--the Saab is a nice looking 4 door. One thing I noticed about them that would take them off the list for me is that the gas and brakes pedals are so close together that unless you have tiny feet you are going to have major trouble with them.
Old 06-22-2003 | 08:27 PM
CL 6 speeder

I drove a new 9-3 also.. Saabs are quirky. I could not rest my left foot under the clutch (no room). Was the oddest thing.. It drove me crazy after about 10 min.
Old 06-22-2003 | 08:46 PM
Fo Rilla!

Saab sucks. My buddy has one. It's always broke. My parents had one and it was always broke. My neighor has one and it's broke as we speak. Parents bought two hondas a few years ago after owning numerous expensive German makes. They haven't had to do anything but change the oil. The proof is in the pudding.

Does Saab offer a 200K month warranty? You'll need it to keep your sanity while you own that car.
Old 06-22-2003 | 11:36 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
the new SAABS LOOK AWESOME.

my sister has had two, the last 9-5 and the new 9-3... no problems at all.

they certainly dont have any more problems then our pieces of shit... so were certainly not ones too talk.

The only reason I dont have the new 9-3 is i just cant get over the shitty interior.

But fuck is it sexy on the outside.
Old 06-23-2003 | 12:00 AM
trying to get a lil V-I

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
who makes after market performance parts for the Saab?

Is there like a manufacturer's tuner? like TRD, Mazdaspeed, Nismo, etc???
Old 06-23-2003 | 12:10 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by h2o467
The proof is in the pudding.

I think your brain is made of pudding..........SAAB builds a fine car.

Even with any problems Saabs might have, I would still take one all day long over Hondas boring as shit lineup. The most reliable cars around are generally the most boring.

Just for reference

Old 06-23-2003 | 12:18 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by soopa
The only reason I dont have the new 9-3 is i just cant get over the shitty interior.
The more loaded 9-3s have fairly nice interiors.......if anything, they aren't the most plush.

Old 06-23-2003 | 12:18 AM
trying to get a lil V-I

haha...interesting chart beltfed...

how did Jaquar get a negative 135% reliability rating? I can't even come up with a scarcastic scenario that would account for that.

Also for the TL-S rating...I guess they must've not taken into account the tranny issues.
Old 06-23-2003 | 12:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts

Does Saab offer a 200K month warranty?
that's 16,438 years.
Old 06-23-2003 | 12:22 AM
ex 6 Speed owner :(

First of all, props on the '04 Volvo-R Beltfed!
My good friends Dad has worked for Saab for years so I have been in basically every model for the last several years. I really really like the cars, they are solid and good looking... but a little more prone to small defects and the manual tranny's are clunky, but overall great cars.
One thing to watch out for is torque steer... I drove a Viggen once and it damn near ripped the wheel out of my hands. Seriously I was even prepared for it and I ended up 1/2 a lane over . I'm sure they've fixed that by now
Old 06-23-2003 | 12:31 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by BlueCLS6
First of all, props on the '04 Volvo-R Beltfed!
One thing to watch out for is torque steer... I drove a Viggen once and it damn near ripped the wheel out of my hands. Seriously I was even prepared for it and I ended up 1/2 a lane over . I'm sure they've fixed that by now
Thanks........actually, the torque steer is easily fixed by going with the Viggen Rescue Kit from Abbott Racing.

Saabs shifters could definitely be better, I agree.

http://www.abbottracing.com/2003/tun...is/9-3_vrk.htm
Old 06-23-2003 | 12:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
those rescue kit components look very nice.
Old 06-23-2003 | 01:12 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Titand19
Personally I'm not a big fan of Saabs. Esp with the manuals.
Recently, got to drive 9-3 6 speed and I wa really impressed with the handling and the gearbox. I work valet, so i didn't do a pussy test drive. I got to beat...a little
I bet you don't valet your CL!!!!
Old 06-23-2003 | 02:51 AM
NISMO pwnz j00!

i test drove a 03 cl and 03 saab 9-3 and this is what i concluded...

Acura Cl had a very nice and well appointed/luxurous interior. The car felt smooth and powerfu.sporty...the seats were awesome and the sound system was decent. Road noise was also quiet...of course im comparing everthing to my current car. The only complaints were that the regular cl came in auto only and that it was FWD.

Saab 9-3 had an intresting interior...to me it felt like it was dated...and the car seats were plush but not supportive enough.
The car ran very smooth it the faint whirl of the turbo sound =)
The sound system was nothing to talk about and car was a decent peformer overall. But my only gripe was that a FWD car with turbo is asking for trouble in the rain...especially when we were shopping for my GF.

To sum it up the CL was a better deal considering all the factors and price. For the money i think there are better choices out there...how about the new 04 subaru legacy sedan with AWD?
Old 06-23-2003 | 07:39 AM
5th Gear

Careful

The 9-5 has good reliability ratings, this is not necessarily the case for the 9-3. They are very different cars, with different engines, built on different platforms. The 9-5 is scheduled for a major overhaul soon.

I have also heard of niggly items needing repair on the 9-3. I never buy a first year car because that is when all these problems surface and then are corrected on later versions.
Old 06-23-2003 | 07:43 AM
The Creator

Originally posted by Beltfed
[B]The more loaded 9-3s have fairly nice interiors.......if anything, they aren't the most plush.
Yea i guess I shouldnt say its "bad'... its just not my bag baby!

Very flat console... 700 buttons... green illumination... GM parts bin switchgear (yes I know we share switchgear with Civic's)

Then again, SAAB is doing a 24 hour test drive thing... maybe I should go pick one up. If I could get used to that interior its a mighty fine car... would look sooo sexy with some deep meshy wheels
Old 06-23-2003 | 08:49 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Beltfed, that kit looks nice. Solves the biggest issue I've seen in the 9-3 reviews.

Reliability ratings are something to consider. They look good on paper. But a local reputable dealer/service department can make all of the difference.

BTW - 9-3 is pimp.
Old 06-23-2003 | 08:56 AM
The Creator

does that rescue kit fit new model 93s?
Old 06-23-2003 | 01:31 PM
go like hell

personally for the kind of money you'll probably plunk down I'd go for a new Maxima(04). 265 HP and runs even with the CL-S.
I've seen the new Saabs to me the body style is funky looking. I've talked to guys with them and someone talked about the torque steer. they said it's fine when your in the city(or cruising around at low speed) but if it's a little rainy out and you need to punch the throttle you better hang on to that wheel tight .
I know the new Max has torque steer to beat hell to.The new Max is probably what I'll end up picking up once my Accord pukes
Old 06-23-2003 | 01:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

does that rescue kit fit new model 93s?
That's a good question, I have no idea....If I had to guess, probably not.
Old 06-23-2003 | 02:39 PM
The Creator

water - yea... but the maxima is a cheap piece of shit. and its ugly as all hell.

id rather spend a lil more for the SAAB... it looks like a mix of the new A4 and a 5-series or something. Its damn sexxy. Especially the sport kitted versions.
Old 06-23-2003 | 03:28 PM
Fo Rilla!

I think your brain is made of pudding..........SAAB builds a fine car.

Even with any problems Saabs might have, I would still take one all day long over Hondas boring as shit lineup. The most reliable cars around are generally the most boring.

Just for reference

Who said anything about boring? Thanks for the reference. Are you trying to solidify my point that Acura makes a better car?
Old 06-23-2003 | 03:30 PM
The Creator

tell me that shit aint GANGSTA LEAN

(anyone have a better picture of navi interior? looks pretty sick actually)

Old 06-23-2003 | 04:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Are you trying to solidify my point that Acura makes a better car?
Now I really know your brain is made of pudding, before I was just kidding.

I posted that little chart to simply show you that SAAB scores "very" well in reliability ratings and are not pieces of shit (as you would like to believe).

Like I said, the most reliable cars in the world are generally the most boring.
Old 06-23-2003 | 04:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

[B](anyone have a better picture of navi interior? looks pretty sick actually)
The one you posted is the best photo I have seen of the Nav dash.

Always liked this photo....

Old 06-23-2003 | 06:51 PM
4dr & I like it that way

that black 9-3 is very hot. is it just me or has saab stopped updating its exterior? my uncle has a mid 90s 9-3 and its VERY similar to the latest if ur looking at the front
Old 06-23-2003 | 07:01 PM
Homeless

Beltfed...that appears to be the Vector judging by the rims. Salesperson said the only real difference in the Arc & Vector is springs & rims($2,500...naaahhh).

I think the Arc is the better buy. I did see on Abbotts site about the upgrades for the new 9-3. They've already got coilovers, suspension pieces & a piggyback ECU(that's coming up soon, like fall 03).

9-3 Sport Sedan Arc 2.0T 210hp

Options
-Polar White
-Light alloy wheel 16" 10-spoke
-Heated front seats & Headlamp washers
-Leather upholstery and leather door panel inserts, parchment
-Electrically operated glass sunroof
-Sport Wheel Package
-Touring Package - Arc & Vector

Price$ 30090
Total $ 33980

That's the model I'm looking at.
Old 06-23-2003 | 07:05 PM
Homeless

The 03 9-3 is all new. I think they keep them looking like that for a reason. I happen to think it's pretty cool that they haven't washed out all the character of the car. Maybe that's why I like it...kinda reminds me of the Saabs when I was in HS.

Originally posted by Davediego
that black 9-3 is very hot. is it just me or has saab stopped updating its exterior? my uncle has a mid 90s 9-3 and its VERY similar to the latest if ur looking at the front
Old 06-23-2003 | 07:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by chris3240929
-Polar White
-Light alloy wheel 16" 10-spoke
-Heated front seats & Headlamp washers
-Leather upholstery and leather door panel inserts, parchment
-Electrically operated glass sunroof
-Sport Wheel Package
-Touring Package - Arc & Vector

Price$ 30090
Total $ 33980

That's the model I'm looking at.
Yup, the black one is a Vector model........can tell by the 17s.

The car you have listed above sounds hot, shop around on the price (this is a buyers market).
Old 06-23-2003 | 09:05 PM
Old timer

I've secretly been eyeing the new 9-3 vert that comes out this summer.

Then Beltfed posted those pics of the interior console area and I just lost all interest because I see it suffers from the Audi disease of tons of small rectangular gray buttons.

That's a shame.
Old 06-23-2003 | 09:36 PM
The Creator

Originally posted by Davediego
no non ono no nono n onno no no.

they do just like BMW, they keep the grill... the signatures of the car etc.

but the new 93 has changed ALOT.

Go look at it in person... it is ultra smooth and sexxy... very much UNLIKE the last 93.
Old 06-23-2003 | 09:46 PM
Fo Rilla!

Now I really know your brain is made of pudding, before I was just kidding.

I posted that little chart to simply show you that SAAB scores "very" well in reliability ratings and are not pieces of shit (as you would like to believe).

Like I said, the most reliable cars in the world are generally the most boring.
There is absolutely no correlation between boring cars and reliability. You would call Infiniti's line boring? Acura's Type-S line boring? Subaru? Mazda? Where are you getting this from? Make some sense man. I don't know about you but I consider reliability one the most important factors when I buy a car. IMO my CL is a heluva lot more fun to drive than any SAAB. I agree they are hot looking cars (the new models), but I stand behind my comment that they suck. And it's funny the only friend I have that hasn't had a problem with his SAAB just had his electrical system freak on him while he was driving. I'm not saying Japanese cars don't have issues. Just far far far far far far far far less. Hey, people have different opinions and experiences.
Old 06-23-2003 | 10:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

There is absolutely no correlation between boring cars and reliability. You would call Infiniti's line boring? Acura's Type-S line boring? Subaru? Mazda? Where are you getting this from? Make some sense man. I don't know about you but I consider reliability one the most important factors when I buy a car. IMO my CL is a heluva lot more fun to drive than any SAAB. I agree they are hot looking cars (the new models), but I stand behind my comment that they suck.
To me there is absolutely a correlation between boring cars and reliability. When I talk about reliability, I'm referring to Hondas, Toyotas, Mazda (yes boring), Subaru (the WRX isn't boring). Most Japanese cars don't do anything for me and they are typically the most reliable. Lexus builds a hell of a car, but I really don't want one. Infinitis are cool, I like the FX the most out of the line.

Yes, I find most Acuras to be rather boring to tell you the truth.

Cars I don't find boring are not the most reliable.....Benz, BMW, Audi, Jaguar, SAAB, Volvo, and of course high end sports cars.

Also, I don't care about your friends and their car exploits .
Old 06-23-2003 | 10:31 PM
The Creator

There is absolutely no correlation between boring cars and reliability. You would call Infiniti's line boring? Acura's Type-S line boring? Subaru? Mazda? Where are you getting this from? Make some sense man. I don't know about you but I consider reliability one the most important factors when I buy a car. IMO my CL is a heluva lot more fun to drive than any SAAB. I agree they are hot looking cars (the new models), but I stand behind my comment that they suck. And it's funny the only friend I have that hasn't had a problem with his SAAB just had his electrical system freak on him while he was driving. I'm not saying Japanese cars don't have issues. Just far far far far far far far far less. Hey, people have different opinions and experiences.
Electrical system failure huh? Funny... Lexus's have had that problem too............ yet nobody questions them

So what other stereotypes are you buying into? :fag:
Old 06-23-2003 | 10:32 PM
Racer

I think the saabs are awesome!
Old 06-23-2003 | 10:36 PM
go like hell

water - yea... but the maxima is a cheap piece of shit. and its ugly as all hell.

id rather spend a lil more for the SAAB... it looks like a mix of the new A4 and a 5-series or something. Its damn sexxy. Especially the sport kitted versions.
I love the new style of the Maxima.
plus I heard Nissan's quality is good but who knows
Old 06-23-2003 | 10:42 PM
The Creator

Ya - Acura's quality is good too

I had a Maxima... back when they were THE BEST... it still sucked.

Quick Reply: SAAB 9-3 Arc 6 Speed