running 4 point harness on factory seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 11:33 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
running 4 point harness on factory seats

anyone doing it? i saw another member had racing seats w/ a harness in a picture, but id like to do it w/ the stock seats. im thinking i can 3/4 ass it and have the front bolt into the seat and the rear go inbetween the back and the bench crack in the rear. anyone have any info/thoughts?
Old 03-14-2010, 10:15 AM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
first learn how the harness is supposed to be mounted. going to the back between the back and bottom cushions is too much of an angle. and its not gonna look good with factory seats.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:59 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
4 point harness with stock seats will look weird.. u should have racing seats 1st... harness 2nd
Old 03-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CL-S progression 01
4 point harness with stock seats will look weird.. u should have racing seats 1st... harness 2nd
i guess you missed the part about me not wanting racing seats...

a friend of mine did it in his evo and no one can sit in the back without climbing through the harness i want that too. he does however have factory recaros...lol
i need something to hold me and whoevers riding shotgun better than the regular belts.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:25 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

unless u auto x ur car regularly or take it to some time attack tracks, factory belts do teh job well.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:05 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,381 Likes on 4,930 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajca
first learn how the harness is supposed to be mounted. going to the back between the back and bottom cushions is too much of an angle. and its not gonna look good with factory seats.
Times a fucking million.

When you have your shoulder belts angled, if you flip, or get in any serious accident, HOORAY compressed spine!

If youre going after the look, get these and youre spine will thank you (however everyone else will laugh).

Theres a reason alot of people install a harness bar in the main hoop of their roll bar. It allows two things, an easy anchor point for bar mounted belts as well as keeping the belt within the proper 45* angle. Installing a race harness improperly will result in injuries. Youre better off using the stock belt.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
4 point harness should be doable in a CL-S. If you are concerned about legality I think Schroth Rallye 3 and 4 models are the only DOT approved ones. http://soloracer.com/harnschrothfaq.html As you can see in the link the Rallye 4's tails mount to the rear seat anchor positions as opposed to the Rallye 3 which attaches to the C-pillar position. With the 4 no one can sit in back of you, but w/ the 3 someone can.

That DOT approval came in handy in Cali when an overzealous cop pulled me over in my now sold Integra because he said he didn't see my seatbelt. Funny thing was that I had my black harness on over a white shirt. Apparently he was just looking for something to tag as he had me open up my hood to inspect. Fortunately it appeared CARB and DOT okay.

Anyway, the harness did help keep me in place while pushing it, gave me some potential added protection in case of a crash and it did look cool and all. However living with it got a little tiring as when it was snugged up properly it made it hard to lean forward to the audio/climate controls and for shoulder checking or reversing. And then there is the hassle for the rear seat entry/exit.
I was thinking about using one in the CL-S, but I don't feel I can safely push this car hard enough like I did w/ the Integra. Not enough Gs generated to warrant the hassle. I do use one of these http://soloracer.com/harnschrothfaq.html to hold me in place better. and it works pretty well w/ a little inconveniance.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rajca
unless u auto x ur car regularly or take it to some time attack tracks, factory belts do teh job well.
i completely respect your opinion. i see you as a key member of innovation and input on this site, as well as civicdrivr. but, no offense, i dont think you push it hard enough on a regular basis to be held with the factory seatbelts. 2 point+leather = iffy hold...

monkeybutt you are the man! thats EXACTLY what i wanna do! im thinking red to match my radar,scan gauge, and soon cluster.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Agree, unless you auto X the car you don't need these.
Your car do what you want. We want pics if you do it though.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:23 AM
wham bam thank you ma'am

I push my car probably harder than any member with a cl on here. I take it drag racing, auto xing and gnna start time attack/ road course. And seeing how u don't have any suspension upgrads other than a sway bar, id look into suspension before u do the harness
Old 03-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by monkeybutt
4 point harness should be doable in a CL-S. If you are concerned about legality I think Schroth Rallye 3 and 4 models are the only DOT approved ones. http://soloracer.com/harnschrothfaq.html As you can see in the link the Rallye 4's tails mount to the rear seat anchor positions as opposed to the Rallye 3 which attaches to the C-pillar position. With the 4 no one can sit in back of you, but w/ the 3 someone can.

That DOT approval came in handy in Cali when an overzealous cop pulled me over in my now sold Integra because he said he didn't see my seatbelt. Funny thing was that I had my black harness on over a white shirt. Apparently he was just looking for something to tag as he had me open up my hood to inspect. Fortunately it appeared CARB and DOT okay.

Anyway, the harness did help keep me in place while pushing it, gave me some potential added protection in case of a crash and it did look cool and all. However living with it got a little tiring as when it was snugged up properly it made it hard to lean forward to the audio/climate controls and for shoulder checking or reversing. And then there is the hassle for the rear seat entry/exit.
I was thinking about using one in the CL-S, but I don't feel I can safely push this car hard enough like I did w/ the Integra. Not enough Gs generated to warrant the hassle. I do use one of these http://soloracer.com/harnschrothfaq.html to hold me in place better. and it works pretty well w/ a little inconveniance.
Sorry I just noticed my second link is wrong. I dont' use a harness in the CL-S due to the hassle, but I use a CG Lock on the stock belt. http://www.more-advanced-autosports....oducts_id=2727
Old 03-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Instructor

i live in tallahassee for now and the roads are horrible here until you go up to the country side of town where you hit some nice turns. i had a hatch before the cl that had full coils, braces, and sways, but that was in south florida where its flat. i was going to do ksports for the cl but its impossible to lower the car up here and to ride coilovers w/ near stock height is redundant to me... but i will definitely take pics!! they might not turn out to be red like i plan based on how much they are going to cost, black is seeming easier to find
Old 03-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,381 Likes on 4,930 Posts
Theres something on the market that may be just what you need. Give me a few minutes to find it again.......

EDIT - Got it.

http://www.cg-lock.com/

Its kind of expensive though, but not nearly as expensive as a harness (I think I paid nearly $300 for two 5-point harnesses).

Last edited by civicdrivr; 03-16-2010 at 01:43 PM.