Rotors and brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, when did I ever say in my original statement that "brake fluid" never needed to be changed?????
I was merely challenging the "reasons" why most people would want to change their SS Lines. True there are exceptions and Im sure many people go for "spirited runs" like yourself and many of us enthusiasts but I was referring to majority of the general public.

As for your dad, I would never wish upon any one to go through a similar scenario but had he replaced his brake lines with SS lines, I ask you this, would he have been able to stop any better???????? More then likely it was due to his pads being worn or his brake fluid was crappy like you stated yourself. It had nothing to do with his brake lines.

as for underst8....
Old 11-06-2007, 03:38 PM
White Type-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good info.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:20 PM
03 3.2 CL Type-S (AT)

Originally Posted by gaping46and2
Yeah, my EBCs make quite a bit of noise too when I feather the brake pedal as I'm slowing down for a stop light/sign. But when I have to get on it really quick, they're completely silent.
After having the brakes on and bedding them in, I think you are right on with the noise during low braking. I guess this is the cost of this performance braking setup.

Originally Posted by krisdlm
i was thinking about getting some ss brake lines off some guy in bm, but would it help an oem setup?
Brake fluid does need to be replaced from time to time based on usage. the SS brake lines will give you stiffer brakes if you compare them to the old lines but you could just replace your oem ones and get a comparably stiffer feel.

Most high end OEM brake lines are re-enforced just not stain less steel.

The main thing about the SS Brake lines isn't the outer pressure but instead the inner pressure. They won't collapse on them selfs.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:30 AM
Instructor

i got some crossed drilled rotors on mine dont' know the brand...they were a gift. I'm a cheap bastard...but i do have hawk pads but they are still in the truck waiting until i run those stock pads flat.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:21 AM
Nick

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm fairly new to this forum. So I was wondering what the main problems you guys are having with your brakes? It seems like my fronts are warped and the shimmy gets worse when the brakes get hot from high speed hard braking? I see people mentioning "Legend" brakes? Are you guys talking about the 2 piston calipers on the type II Legend coupe? I had a G2 Legend coupe earlier this year and would have taken the calipers off it if I knew they'd bolt on the CL? So they just bolt on or are there mods to make? The Legend is a heavy car and from my experience those two piston calipers weren't up to stopping the Legend either. They used to fade bad when slowing down hard from +100 mph.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Banned

^ legend brakes do fit, but its not much of a jump. at the end of the day, bbk is what you want.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:23 PM
SOLD: 03 SSM CLS Auto

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sinfulj32
^ legend brakes do fit, but its not much of a jump. at the end of the day, bbk is what you want.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:48 PM
03 3.2 CL Type-S (AT)

More follow up on the brake lines. If the brake line gets old and over time (and pressure) starts absorbing some of the fluid and /or expanding then it is possible that the line closes in on it self thus trapping fluid in the end of the line and the piston thus causing the brakes to be pressed no matter what and thus last longer than the other brake lines.

Yes brake lines can break and loose all pressure but this pressure build up is the flip side.