rolling fenders

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
rolling fenders

I was at a bodyshop today and asked them about rolling my rear fenders. The wheels I have are 18x8.5 with 52mm offset and 235/40-18 tires. Basically i was told that those wheels wont fit our car and that these tires wont fit my wheels also. He also said if i do roll the fenders it is almost guaranteed to crack the paint and i will have to get paint work done too. He wants me to mount the tire to the wheel and bring it in to test fit. I was gonna get the rear driver panel repainted already so thought i should roll them now so if it does crack i wont have to paint twice. I asked on here first and was told the wheels and tires are fine. What do you guys think?
Old 12-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they won't crack if you take your time and use a heat gun to soften the paint. I jsut did mine on my red car and had no problems.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
^ x2 if not you can shave them i got my rolled and the paint was fine but most of ppl are trying to wanr you if they fail so they not gonna take responability for it. i'd say do it but ask your friends for any recomendation where to go. i paid 70$ for both fenders
Old 12-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,465 Likes on 4,982 Posts
I heated it with a heat gun and rolled.

Those wheels should fit anyway. I was running 19x8.5 with a 40mm offset and with rolled fenders I didnt rub. I am dropped btw.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,478 Likes on 3,071 Posts
If the shop knows what they're doing the paint shouldn't crack, they're telling you that so you don't hold them responsible when they F it up, try another shop that knows what they're doing
Old 12-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
try local craigslist and type rolling fenders.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 669 Likes on 391 Posts
omg that guy doesnt know what the fuck hes talking about. those will fit. for example im rocking 19x10's in the rear +36 offset on 245/35/19 tire and im dropped like 3 inches with no rubbing. all i had to do to get them to fit was roll my fenders and run a little negative camber. me and my buddy rolled my fenders ourselves the wooden bat method without a heating gun and you cant even tell. no cracked paint or anything like that. please go to a different shop.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:36 PM

If you were local, Id let you borrow my fender roller.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
I feel a little better after reading ur replies. They are supposed to be a good bodyshop. They have done multiple cars that have been in magazines and on covers of mags. They have also done some bears players rides. I saw some of the magazine cars in the showroom and they look amazing. The guys there seem cool except for the fender rolling guy. I told him other ppl have this setup or larger on my car and he basically told me hes an expert and ppl on forums dont know much. He just asked me the wheel size and never asked what the offset was either. I think i will just avoid having them roll the fenders. What do u need to roll them urself besides a heat gun. Also what is involved in shaving and does that expose bare metal to the elements? I dont think ill feel safe doing it myself but if i cant trust a shop to do it i might have too.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by brian6speed
I feel a little better after reading ur replies. They are supposed to be a good bodyshop. They have done multiple cars that have been in magazines and on covers of mags. They have also done some bears players rides. I saw some of the magazine cars in the showroom and they look amazing. The guys there seem cool except for the fender rolling guy. I told him other ppl have this setup or larger on my car and he basically told me hes an expert and ppl on forums dont know much. He just asked me the wheel size and never asked what the offset was either. I think i will just avoid having them roll the fenders. What do u need to roll them urself besides a heat gun. Also what is involved in shaving and does that expose bare metal to the elements? I dont think ill feel safe doing it myself but if i cant trust a shop to do it i might have too.

Some expert. He doesnt even ask for offsets. Rent the tool and do it yourself. Its rediculously simple.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 669 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by brian6speed
he obviously isn't an expert. Go to somewhere else or do it yourself. There's fender rolling tool that you can use to roll your fenders or the wooden bat method. Google them. I would recommend you to use the tool though. Me and a buddy did it our selves in a matter of mins

Last edited by p.diddy; 12-07-2009 at 07:23 PM.