Rocking seat...need advise

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003 | 02:12 PM
7th Gear

Rocking seat...need advise

I recently purchased a used 2001 CL-S Boy, it is a sweet ride! The CL is in pristine condition except for an issue with driver seat. It rocks back and forth. The free-play travel is not severe but it is definitely noticeable when I accelerate and decelerate. I have checked the seat track bolts and they were all tightly torque. Is anyone out there who can shed some lights on this issue?

I am at 50121 miles with no extended warranty.

Thanks.
Old 07-02-2003 | 02:26 PM
retired

Approach the dealer they may "goodwill" it for you it is not an unknown problem .The seat base has worn out and needs replacing .
Jens
Old 07-02-2003 | 03:53 PM
Pro

Welcome Kevin! You have the same car, color and mileage as I do! Jens advice is good as theres not much serviceable about the track. If it makes you feel better, mine doesnt do it so they probably have a fix for it.
Old 07-02-2003 | 04:21 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Jens H.
Approach the dealer they may "goodwill" it for you it is not an unknown problem .The seat base has worn out and needs replacing .
Jens
Jens, I move my power seat all the way back EVERYTIME I get out of my CL. Then when I get back in I reset it to my driving position. Could this type of use (overuse) cause the seat base to wear out prematurely?
Thanks.[
Old 07-02-2003 | 04:30 PM
5th Gear

Same situation here..

I find that if the front and rear height adjustment is completely lowered, the seat feels solid and doesn't rock. When I raise the front of the seat slightly, it will rock back and forth. It isn't very severe, but it is noticeable.

FWIW, the dealer checked it out, and said it's "normal" for the power seat, and the amount of play/rock was "within spec".

So.. this is a known problem, and is caused by a worn base?.. Was the dealership just BS'ing me to avoid replacing the part?
Old 07-02-2003 | 10:02 PM
retired

Loiusn,
Ofcourse the way you are using it will accelerate the wear on the seat somewhat as most people tend to "set and forget" the seats .Thus far however I think the seat bases we have replaced seemed to solve whatever rocking problems there were.If your seat does decide to loosen up over time it may need to be replaced but keep an eye on it for now and let's see what happens.In all honesty the seat ought to be able to deal with routine use .
i_strum,
I have never seen a "spec" for what is acceptable and unacceptable movement in the seat frame.Your dealer is probably going by a "seat of the pants" measurement .Perhaps a trip to the dealer to compare your car against a new car one is in order? After you do this you can present the evidence to the service dept. .This will probably get you a new seat base .

Overall seatbases have cropped up in both TL and CL vehicles but not in any great alarming quantity and usually the replacement of a seat base solves the problem .

Jens
Old 07-03-2003 | 07:03 AM
5th Gear

Thanks Jens..

That's what I was thinking - compare it to another (new) CL, and take it from there.

Is the "seat base" the entire lower part of the seat (upholstery and all), or is it a subframe assembly that the seat mounts to? Is it an expensive part.. or difficult / time consuming to replace?

Thanks..

Cheers,
Victor
Old 07-03-2003 | 08:59 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I droped my CLS at the dealer, the next day, the back seat stoped from reclining forward/backward when activating the adjusting switch or seat's memory buttons.

The dealer ordered what is called seat back adjuster (motor?).

Nashua.
Old 07-03-2003 | 09:08 AM
retired

The seat base is the lower portion of the seat it contains several motors cables etc. .It is is a a bit of a hassle to replace I have no idea on cost right now I will try to get it for ya.
The recliner motor might have died Nashua .
Jens
Old 07-05-2003 | 11:05 AM
7th Gear

I took my car into Acura...they want to charge me $40 just to check the seat it out It is ashamed that the seat base design is susceptible to this premature wear and tare. I'll probably have Acura look into this matter when I bring the car in for the next routine service.

Thanks guys for the input!

Kevin