Road Rage

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2001, 08:50 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road Rage

July 1st: New laws against road rage and aggressive driving go into affect in many states and cities.

Who is more likely to commit road rage? Young men in pickup trucks and sports cars. Women in SUVs and luxury cars.

Source: as reported on NBC Nightly News
Old 07-03-2001, 10:31 PM
Old timer

More commie crap. Road rage laws are such bullshit. If people learned how to drive properly there wouldn't be any problems and decent citizens wouldn't have to get pissed off and have their day ruined because some fucktard can't drive.

-J
Old 07-04-2001, 12:28 AM
Race Director

JRock, you probably don't remember this but there was a time when on the roadway, it was [un]common to touch bumpers with the offending vehicle ahead of you and push if they wouldn't get out of your way.

Can some of you older guys (who were actually driving back then) verify this?
Old 07-04-2001, 12:35 AM
Old timer

I never knew about that, but I wish it was still the case today. Get the F outta the way, morons. Coming through!

-J
Old 07-04-2001, 12:37 AM
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

buncha morons.... I just loaded my baseball bat in my trunk this afternoon....

Old 07-04-2001, 12:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ouch!!!

I still remember that summer in LA where everyone was packing weapons and the freeways were target/shooting ranges...

(That and the famous rogue tank footage down in San Diego. Hey, Jrock you don’t have ROTC training – do you?)
Old 07-04-2001, 01:01 AM
Old timer

No, why do you ask?

And yeah that tank kicks ass. The only thing cooler than that was the BOA shootout with those two body-armored guys walking through down shooting it up with the cops.

In fact, I think I'ma drop Heat into my DVD player now.

-J
Old 07-04-2001, 02:15 AM
Race Director

Why do my posts always turn into violence and weapons and shootings?

Granted I spent some time in the military, grew up with all that Anarchist Cookbook sh*t, BB guns, and finally weapons of all kinds living in Texas; in my old age I have since retired all my weapons (except the Glock and the AR15) and did a 180 on my attitude about guns and shootouts and crime and the like. Now, I just wanna live.....
Old 07-04-2001, 02:37 AM
Wow only on my 2nd tranny

Originally posted by kensteele:
<STRONG>Why do my posts always turn into violence and weapons and shootings?

I have since retired all my weapons (except the Glock and the AR15) and did a 180 on my attitude about guns and shootouts and crime and the like. Now, I just wanna live..... </STRONG>
In that case, a link to my very favorite Glock or AR accessory:
http://www.law-17.com/index.html
Old 07-04-2001, 05:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JRock:
<STRONG>No, why do you ask?

And yeah that tank kicks ass. The only thing cooler than that was the BOA shootout with those two body-armored guys walking through down shooting it up with the cops.

In fact, I think I'ma drop Heat into my DVD player now.

-J</STRONG>
Yes -- I do enjoy a good "Heat" playback. I hope your joking about the BOA shoot-out with the body-armor buddies in the Valley.

Ken:

I love the Paladin press as much as the next guy, and as with all threads once you throw the sticky ball down hill, it does pick up "junk" and gains momentum.

I also enjoy nice home protection weaponry as much as the next guy, but the "ramming speed" thing went out with Sparticus, and the topic of door dings, cut-offs, and “Road Rage” slowly spins into a compilation of links and stories to or about:

Guns
Machine pistols
Shaped charge weapons
Laser sights
Ninja warfare techniques
Military background and training
Armored and tracked vehicles...
“Quien es los mas macho”

Since we are on guns, lets not forget ballistic gelatin tests for the best stopping and penetration power...

Hey, there is even a Paladin press book for would be "Rambos":

HANDGUN STOPPING POWER
The Definitive Study
by Evan P. Marshall & Edwin J. Sanow
Dramatic first-hand accounts of the results of handgun rounds fired into criminals by cops, storeowners, cabbies and others are the heart and soul of this long-awaited book. This is the definitive methodology for predicting the stopping power of handgun loads, the first to take into account what really happens when a bullet meets a man. 8 1/2 x 11, softcover, photos, 240 pp.
ISBN: 0873646533
Old 07-04-2001, 11:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Ken
While never once witnessing the pushing of another car by the one in the rear I do remember that it was not unnatural to see.

And to those who in their convoluted logic defend road rage or are offended by rules against it, I'd bet you'd stain your drawers if after you gave the finger and wildly screamed "fuck you" while your bravely moving in your car, you and the guy your were cursing at BOTH pull up to a red light and he gets out and starts coming to you with a Beretta 682 or simply with his rage.

Hey if you don't believe me, try it yourself.
Old 07-04-2001, 12:14 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by Al Uminum:
<STRONG>Ken
While never once witnessing the pushing of another car by the one in the rear I do remember that it was not unnatural to see.

And to those who in their convoluted logic defend road rage or are offended by rules against it, I'd bet you'd stain your drawers if after you gave the finger and wildly screamed "fuck you" while your bravely moving in your car, you and the guy your were cursing at BOTH pull up to a red light and he gets out and starts coming to you with a Beretta 682 or simply with his rage.

Hey if you don't believe me, try it yourself.</STRONG>
I never defended road rage - I said there wouldn't BE such a thing if people could DRIVE.

-J
Old 07-04-2001, 12:28 PM
Soon to be, fairly famous

I think it has less to do with the actual ability to operate a motor vehicle than it does to the perception (rightly or wrongly) that this M.F. "cut me off" or "got over into my lane and slowed down" on purpose. We take whatever happened personally, and it might be, and then we loose it because of the stress of underlying factors ("I'm late" or "this idiot is doing her makeup when she SHOULD be paying the freak attention to what she's doing" or "dang, if they wanted to come over, they could have waited just like I did") kinda thing. After that, we just go off and vent! If that person just so happens to not want to ignore this, and decides to retaliate in kind, you have a dangerous mix, not to mention both people may be packing, have children in the car, may be idiots, yadda yadda.

Not to say I've never wanted to punk-slap somebody through a windshield myself though.

dee
Old 07-04-2001, 01:14 PM
Old timer

And yet, if people could drive properly, no one would be cut off and no one would cut others off. :o

-J
Old 07-04-2001, 02:30 PM
Race Director

-J, you'll find this out when you get older.... To me driving has three elements:

1.The car Nobody really knows how to drive. You have a lot of help. You have a nice vehicle that properly translates the speedy ride to your senses which enable you to be more or less precise in your manuevers. It is very responsive and has good brakes so you are able to drive much faster under normal conditions and a bit faster under adverse conditions. On the flip side, those with less capable cars must drive slower or more cautious. That means stopping for yellow lights that could have been easily beat; not turning right on red when you have easily gone; stopping on the freeway ramp instead of using the acceleration lane to properly merge. Gheezz, but yes. Anyway, when you are in a less capable car, your driving habits change. Try it, rent a large U-Haul truck and keep driving in the left lane like you do with your CL. Road rage.

2.Instinct. To some degree, we all drive by instinct. You see a car coming out of nowhere, you react and avoid. You come to a blind intersection, you proceed with caution based on how well you feel you can react to a potential hazard. Have you ever "fell asleep" on the freeway only to awaken and find yourself still on the road? Part luck, part instinct. Combine that with your physical condition, how fast/slow your reflexes are, how well is your eyesight (this is a biggie), how you are properly positioned in the driver's seat, and most importantly how well have you developed your instinct skills to drive, you're going to have different types of drivers on the road. Those with a higher level of awareness and those with a lesser level. Since instinct is something we don't have complete control over, it's not entirely the driver's fault that he can't manage to drive that well. Road rage.

3.Finally there's driver's attitude. This is what we all focus on lately. I won't elaborate on this because it suffices to say this is the most precarious. If you feel drivers don't know any better, you get mad and then forget about it. If you feel drivers don't care, you get mad and you do crazy things but you go on your [legal] way. If you feel drivers purposely do things directed specifically towards you, you get mad and road rage.

It's when the above breakout become 100% on #3 that we see road rage. Nobody wants to believe that there are just plain bad drivers who don't have the skills. So we blame them for not having these [adequate] skills because it endangers our lives. Or does it really? Is your life in danger because the driver didn't go on the green light? Is your life in danger because the driver slowed down to look at an accident scene? Is your life in danger because the driver paused and allowed three other car to cut in line? Road rage.

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: kensteele ]
Old 07-04-2001, 06:35 PM
Pro

Well said, kensteele!
Old 07-05-2001, 03:21 PM
ACME sucks!

Originally posted by kensteele:
<STRONG>Is your life in danger because the driver paused and allowed three other car to cut in line? Road rage.
</STRONG>
That shit ticks me off more than anything. Seems that these "cutters" think they're special. It happens all the time around here!
Old 07-05-2001, 04:24 PM
Burning Brakes

It happens everywhere!

I agree with all of your points Ken, although I feel that at times I also take things personally because people are just stupid.

However, the last thing that I need to deal with is being shot and killed or killing someone for my driving antics. Not to mention the speeding tickets, moving violations, increased insurance and property damage that can occur. These are things that you think of after the fact, and I tell ya, it's just not worth it!