replacing starter contacts

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 12:24 PM
Too many $$ toys

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
replacing starter contacts

my gf has a 2001 CL. the starter just crapped out. i got the phone call that she gets one click and that is it. i am very familiar with toyota starters. all that ever goes wrong with them is that the copper contacts wear out. you open it (piece of cake), swap out the two contacts (piece of cake) which are only about $10 each, and you are on your merry way. i usually replace the plunger while i am in there. that way i keep my OEm starter instead of getting a POS from autozone. i have searched this forum for anybody doing that and found nothing. does anybody know if it can be done on an acura starter?

thanks
Old 08-16-2005, 12:34 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surlynkid
my gf has a 2001 CL. the starter just crapped out. i got the phone call that she gets one click and that is it. i am very familiar with toyota starters. all that ever goes wrong with them is that the copper contacts wear out. you open it (piece of cake), swap out the two contacts (piece of cake) which are only about $10 each, and you are on your merry way. i usually replace the plunger while i am in there. that way i keep my OEm starter instead of getting a POS from autozone. i have searched this forum for anybody doing that and found nothing. does anybody know if it can be done on an acura starter?

thanks
any starter can eb taken apart and fixed, the things are does it have a rebuld kit availabe, and in the world of auto repair is it worht your time, but seing as its yoru car then yeah you can do that, you can't screw it up more the it is now, also are you sure its the starter how about the battery, or maybe the relay, thats what the click you heard was. does it click every time sh trys to start it or does it not click at all anymore, if it does not click at all anymore and the battery is good take a look at the relay.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:57 PM
Too many $$ toys

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it takes 15 minutes to replace the contacts in a starter, so yes that is worth it versus spending $150 at the parts house for something a monkey worked on. it is not the relay or battery. she keeps the getting the click which is trying to engage the contacts on the starter, but once the contacts wear down, no contact can be made. the battery is 6 months old and fine. i called acura and they do nto offer the replacement contacts. figures they want that gravy money for themselves by selling remanufactured units. the guy at the acura parts counter told me he rebuilt a integra one with toyota contacts, so i may look at that option. i have a bunch of those contacts at the house. i just wanted to know if anyone on this board did that contact repair. you can also weld them to build up the copper and then grind it back to the right thickness.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:41 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had a problem with my acura tl 2006; because I couldn't find the brushes (contact) I just cleaned everything with an electronic cleaner and stretched the spring a little bit to help get better contact and it's working fine so far; now I know that this is a temporary fix, until I get the contacts; does anyone know where I can look to find these for my acura tl 2006