removal of resonator and catalytic converter...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 12:56 AM
raj
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
removal of resonator and catalytic converter...

Wussup

anyone consider replacing the catalytic converter, resonator, the 2 1/4in exhaust piping and the chambered mufflers with just a 2 1/2in exhaust pipe that runs all the way through to the y pipe with two after market mufflers? let me know, its something i'm seriously considering doing.

later.
Old 07-21-2002, 02:41 AM
Safety Car

Re: removal of resonator and catalytic converter...

Originally posted by raj
Wussup

anyone consider replacing the catalytic converter, resonator, the 2 1/4in exhaust piping and the chambered mufflers with just a 2 1/2in exhaust pipe that runs all the way through to the y pipe with two after market mufflers? let me know, its something i'm seriously considering doing.

later.

I've heard of removing the resonator to increase exhaust noise, but by removing the catalytic converter won't you increase pollution? Wouldn't fly well in Cali :shakehd:
Old 07-21-2002, 04:20 AM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: removal of resonator and catalytic converter...

Originally posted by nate'sCLS

I've heard of removing the resonator to increase exhaust noise, but by removing the catalytic converter won't you increase pollution? Wouldn't fly well in Cali :shakehd:
Not only will it not fly, it will leave the check engine light on because of one of the sensors that you can not hook up withou the cat. Unless you have a turbo, removing the cat won't give you much HP gains.
Old 07-21-2002, 12:29 PM
Safety Car

Re: Re: Re: removal of resonator and catalytic converter...

Originally posted by AztecRol

Unless you have a turbo, removing the cat won't give you much HP gains.
True.
Old 07-21-2002, 03:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: removal of resonator and catalytic converter...

Originally posted by raj
Wussup

Raj I was thinking about doing this.. but with a aftermarket High flow cat and stock 03 mufflers... TYPES4ME removed his Resonator and got a pipe clamped in for 40 bucks at some muffler joint, I am meeting up with him tonight to take a look at it, but I will probably go to my stainless steel guy and see what I can do.. he is dirt cheap, he just doesn't do headers..LOL..

Smitty
Old 07-21-2002, 05:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

I really see no need. You will not gain anything, but noise. It's like the real aftermarket exhaust systems. They are for sound, & have very little HP gain. The stock system is great. Also if you do go that route you will lose alot of the back pressure, & you WILL lose low end power.
Old 07-21-2002, 11:11 PM
raj
Cruisin'

from what i hear it seems like if the air can flow more freely through my car i'm bound to get an increase in acceleration. by removing the cat and res and having a wider pipe it might be worth a shot.

the guy that would install this for me said he'd take care of the check engine light by installing that part of the cat onto my new straight pipe.

i'll keep you guys updated.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

from what i hear it seems like if the air can flow more freely through my car i'm bound to get an increase in acceleration. by removing the cat and res and having a wider pipe it might be worth a shot.
Yes this is true, however, it will not help on a normal CL-S engine. You would have to have forced induction ie- a supercharger, NOS, or a turbo to get any real gains.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:59 AM
Instructor

RAJ--- i basicly did what you are asking. i have a TL-S with 2 aerospeed mufflers, i had the resenators removed and upsized the piping.... IT WAS TOO LOUD... i like a decent sounding exhaust... but that shock everything inside the car..... anyways i went back to the place and had a straight through resenator put back on... and it sounds good imo, prolly a lil loud to others

if you have other questions let me know

melo-
Old 07-22-2002, 12:48 PM
Drifting

ey melohype u think we could meet up i wanna hear how your exhaust sounds? pm me
Old 07-22-2002, 01:00 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The funny thing is, you could take all that shit off and run open exhaust, and if you made a WAV file of the sound, people with Comptech exhausts would still swear theirs are louder.

Just playin, guys.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by JRock
The funny thing is, you could take all that shit off and run open exhaust, and if you made a WAV file of the sound, people with Comptech exhausts would still swear theirs are louder.

Just playin, guys.

Old 07-22-2002, 01:35 PM
What can I get ya?

By replacing your cat you will gain about 1-2 HP depending on the car. I dont really think thats a good idea if you have to worry about emissions. I could see if you were doing if for 10HP, but for 2 I dont think so
Old 07-22-2002, 01:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One more thing to consider is if you remove your cats it won't pass inspection, and you can get hit with about a $3000 fine (at least in TX).
Old 07-22-2002, 04:09 PM
How much for the Redhead?

Though I wouldn't recomend it, I replaced the cat on mine with a straight pipe that had a fitting for the 02 sensor. FL has no emissions check so I'm ok there, it wasn't that expensive and I thought it might be worth a try.

While I can't give you any hp figures, I can tell you it does seem much more responsive. When I floor it, it defintiely goes and even is noticable around corners, much more responsive. And, yes its a bit louder, but not any louder than some of these Mustangs I hear around here. But, my god the smell, you really can't imagine how much that cat soaks up until you take it off. With the windows downs and pulling into, say an atm, the smell really kind of engulfs you...

Yes, the check engine light is always on, I've heard of o2 sensor foolers or whatever, but I haven't bothered. I wanted to drive it awhile like this, so I could get a feel for it, then take it off and replace with cat and see if I notice a difference the other way..

I definitely like the sound and others have commented, and also the performance, but I can't give you any verifiable stats.