Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 09:44 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Starter

Any recommendations for a remote starter for an 01?
Old 12-14-2004, 10:10 PM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

Compustar!
Old 12-15-2004, 02:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

2nd that one, love my compustar 2 way 900 fm alarm starter
Old 12-15-2004, 10:28 PM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

you can get just a starter its called a 1WAM-S
It will do remote start and if installed properly with the right options, you don't have to use your factory key fobs anymore, this one will arm and disarm your alarm as well.
If you know how to wire it properly, only thing you will lose is memory seat adjustment for the 2 factory key fobs, the aftermarket one will not adjust mem seat 1 and 2 for you.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by nismo
you can get just a starter its called a 1WAM-S
It will do remote start and if installed properly with the right options, you don't have to use your factory key fobs anymore, this one will arm and disarm your alarm as well.
If you know how to wire it properly, only thing you will lose is memory seat adjustment for the 2 factory key fobs, the aftermarket one will not adjust mem seat 1 and 2 for you.
wow, nice, what would that run me and where can i get it. what is the brand name too? thanks.

Edit, search is my friend...
Old 12-16-2004, 08:53 AM
COME AT ME BRO!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
i have a viper 600 series alarm with remote start and couldnt be happier. ive had it in for 2 years now and never a prob. i heard good and bad things about compustar. but only good about viper
Old 12-16-2004, 08:58 AM
Has been sold for a while

Viper 791xv

http://www.directed.com/security/vip...nder.asp#791XV
Old 12-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
I need to get one of these things. My commute is only 3 miles so the car never warms up by the time I get to work.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:18 AM
1 Dog, 2 Cats and a G-Pig

I got a compustar... near where I live there are no good compustar dealers... the only complaint that I have is when it gets well below freezing the crap doesn't remote start, so I gotta go down and start it then leave it running... works fine for me b/c I gotta walk my dog anyway, but it is teh sucks... if I could do it over I think I'd go with teh viper.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:21 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do they make an adaptor for the viper alarm for manual cars?
Old 12-16-2004, 11:27 AM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Clifford Matrix
Old 12-16-2004, 01:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

compustar can also do manual transmissions in any of their units, they also have alot better range than any dei unit that ive have seen
Old 12-16-2004, 06:03 PM
2010 SHAWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had problems with my Viper Auto-Start properly operating in the colder months. I had it installed on my beastly.....SUBARU FORESTER!!! It was the L model too!
Old 12-16-2004, 07:23 PM
Former Sponsor

what does installation price go for on a Cl, and is there a need for an alarm, or could i just put in the remote start?
Old 12-16-2004, 07:52 PM
"You my boi blue!"

I just got a cheapie Audiovox stand alone remote start installed 4 days ago for 200 total (including install). Works just fine for me. It comes with 1"x 2" single button remote, or you can have the option of it running off the factory key fobs. I got the seperate remote becuz the range will be better than the factory fobs. This morning it was about 15 deg F and remote start was simply awesome to have!! Has the option to set up running times of 5 10 15 mintues etc. The ONLY problem i can see is that when you remote start the car and its running, your factory key fob wont work to unlock doors This means actually using the key to get in.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:54 PM
"You my boi blue!"

IMO there isnt too much of a need for an alarm if you dont want it. If you touch the brake while the car was remote started it shuts off. If you try to open the hood while its running off of remote start, it shuts off. Kinda fail safe, the only way someone could steal it while its running off of remote start is if they are able to turn the ignition to start.

Another note, have a vallet or extra acura key ready because it will be needed to install and run the remote start---Because of our chipped key and anti-theft system
Old 12-17-2004, 12:19 AM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

I am in the industry of Car Audio and Security.
Couple things, if you don't want to spend too much but you want a remote start, you can buy the Compustar 1WAM-S which will do keyless entry, trunk release, remote start.
You can integrate that with your factory alarm, if the place knows how to do it properly, you can ask me about more on that if you are interested, if the place doesn't know how to do it.
Then you do not have to carry the factory key fobs anymore. These remotes are small round and 4 buttons. They have 2000ft range, if you want further distance of remote start, you can get the 1WFM-S which is FM frequency as appose to the 1WAM-S which is AM frequency, where you will be getting 5000ft range. So with these new remotes it has the option to lock factory arm your alarm and unlock factory disarm, trunk release and remote start. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GIVE UP A KEY. You can buy bypass modules for your vehicle that will copy the code into the box, where a key does not have to be given up.
Also that Viper LCD pager above looks appealing, but Compustar offers one too, but nicer looking.
The Compustar has the option to Ring and Vibrate from the remote, the differece with the Viper 791XV (shown above) is that it can only Vibrate OR Ring.
Now for you people who live in cold cold areas that have a compustar and have trouble remote starting. For the Compustar you can buy a temperature sensor, and have that programmed and adjusted so that if the temperature drops below a certain level, the vehicle will remote start and run for 15 minutes and shut off, so that the vehicle doesn't become a cube of ice where you cannot remote start in the morning. So it will try to keep the engine somewhat warm enough to remote start, you can turn on and off this function.

ALSO with the VIPER791 it does not do manual, you can buy an additional component that will do manual transmission. Compustars come fully with everything you need to do for remote start with automatic, manual and diesel. Every remote start is included with it regardless, no extra modules to buy.

Personally, from installing Vipers and Compustars, the Vipers this generation for this year has had many issues with remotes and brains, remotes losing programming, brains not accepting programming, and it happens irregularly at no given point.

PLUS on the Compustar 2 way LCD paging Alarm or Alarm Starter it comes with TWO remotes, and LCD and a backup regular remote. VIPERs top of the line unit VIPER791XV comes with 1 TWO WAY LCD PAGER REMOTE, which I find is kinda ugly looking.
But the thing is if you lock your keys in or you lose your remote or break it, you have no backup remote to use for the time being, or ever.

my two cents
Old 12-17-2004, 12:28 AM
Former Sponsor

hmmmm, I think I smell my next mod, just have to find a reputable shop in NY. And I always promised myself i wouldn't touch a single wire when modding.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:43 AM
"You my boi blue!"

Nismo, Im sure all of us appreciate the general info, but how much does those systems cost and how much will labor cost *usually* ?

In regards of YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GIVE UP A KEY, i guess you dont have to, but to keep the install cheaper and simple, I had a third key (vallet key) that is collecting dust, i figured why not. When I stated have an extra key ready, it was mostly in reference of how mine got installed and in regards of the particular (audiovox) system that was installed.

I believe install is about an hour and half for some shops, some less - some more. So I guess labor would be in the range of $90 or more depending on the shop and level of install required from certain units.
I dont mean to come off in any wrong way Hard to determine attitude and tone on the internet lol
Old 12-18-2004, 04:54 AM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

Actually because Honda's are so common now a days (our acuras) that this module that replicates the key is just as affordable as using the module that requires the key. Downfall to that is I had a customer who did this, with no choice, they do not make a module that will copy the code, he had to use the universal where a key was given up. We installed it for him, but you have to understand this key goes in a little box and is tucked underneath the dash. He gave up a vallet key as well. Someone, who must have known, broke into his car, ripped out his underdash, opened the box, took the key and started the car and drove off with it. My advice, for vehicles that can only do remote start by original key given up, is to saw off the key portion and only take the top of the key where the immobilizer is in.

well for a basic starter itself, labor is usually about $100 we charge here $50 per hour basis at a flat rate. Usually the installation of that remote starter will take 3 hours though
But when doing autostart alarms combo, it usually takes 5 hours.
The crappy thing about our vehicles, is that a lot of our wires are data cable, 1 wire that sends signal into the car for keyless entry, factory arm and disarm of the factory alarm, trunk release and parking lights flash. There is a Data Interface module that costs about $100 that will do all this into this one cable. Now regular cars have separate wires for each function. Separate wire for arm, disarm, lock, unlock, trunk release, parking lights. But if you have the proper installer, you can do without this module. For shops who don't use this module and don't know how to do this properly, some acura 3.2 cl's may have to go through these steps to autostart.

When pressing autostart, the vehicle will unlock the doors
then start the vehicle,
and then relock itself.
For our cars it does not have a factory arm and disarm wire underneath the dash nor listed in most tech websites.

The trick is, our vehicles do have it, but its a pain in the ass, you have to run the wires into the driver side door, remember, when you use your key to manually lock and unlock, it arms and disarms the factory alarm. When it reaches from the door to the inside of the vehicle it turns into a data line, whichcase you must use a data interface from there on, but if you run wires directly in, on the key cylinder on the inside of the door is the arm wire and disarm wire.

Now if you do autostart without using the unlock, start and then lock feature and you do not go into the door for the arm and disarm wires, not only will your vehicle not start, but it will start honking because it sets off the alarm as if someone was trying to hot wire it, and it will honk and your lights will be flashing.

My Compustar 2 Way LCD pager with Vibration (the new white colored one, or in the states its the new blue one) with remote start and alarm fully featured is valued at $650 Canadian Installed plus the bypass module which will copy the key's code, which is valued at $50 plus taxes. thats pay actually a decent price for it, other bigger corporate stores who sell the same unit with full options usually adds up to about $800 plus taxes Canadian. The only difference is that Canadian Compustars and American Compustars are different, the have different FCC regulations where range cannot be as far in the united states, although the american version is an FM Frequency of 900Mhz it's limited to shorter range, although it does say 6000' ft it is truely not. We tested it by buying one off ebay and tested the range, it gets about 3500' ft. Where as Canadian Compustars which are FM 433Mhz are 5000' ft range.

Funny how that is, that 900mhz is less range than 433mhz, but thats the american and canadian standards.

I offered and posted groupbuy of the CANADIAN COMPUSTARS, its a white remote, but I was banned from the moderators to do so because I am not a licensed dealer, I was trying to help everyone out and sell it wholesale because of group buy.

I can offer free advice on any alarm, stereo, remote start, video question, please feel free to ask.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:24 AM
Racer

Does anyone know of a place that does this install (properly) in northern jersey?
Old 12-18-2004, 11:01 AM
Has been sold for a while

ALSO with the VIPER791 it does not do manual, you can buy an additional component that will do manual transmission. Compustars come fully with everything you need to do for remote start with automatic, manual and diesel. Every remote start is included with it regardless, no extra modules to buy.

My guy installed my Viper 791xv on my manual without buying extra parts.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:16 PM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

Originally Posted by J.T.'s 3.2TL
My guy installed my Viper 791xv on my manual without buying extra parts.
Installing it without buying extra parts is possible, but is your system failsafe, if you left your car in gear and you hit remote start, would it still start?!

Compustars will NOT start in Manual, there is a procedure that you must do so it knows its in neutral for it to start, otherwise it will beep at you and not allow your vehicle to start.

I had a friend who got a Automatic Starter in his manual car, and he autostarted his car into a wall.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:17 PM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

Originally Posted by rcz22
Does anyone know of a place that does this install (properly) in northern jersey?
I can help you find a local Compustar Dealer in your area for you.
I will PM you with it.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:28 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cls6sp03
If you are going for a two-way responder, the Clifford is on of the best available that's loaded with security features, including remote start. Good Guys carries and installs them.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:18 PM
Instructor

Installing it without buying extra parts is possible, but is your system failsafe, if you left your car in gear and you hit remote start, would it still start?!

Compustars will NOT start in Manual, there is a procedure that you must do so it knows its in neutral for it to start, otherwise it will beep at you and not allow your vehicle to start.

I had a friend who got a Automatic Starter in his manual car, and he autostarted his car into a wall.
I OWN PAGE 2!!

Kinda off topic, but at work we always have people starting cars into walls... Everyone scrambles to find out if it was the car or the driver and 99.9% of the time its the drivers fault!
Old 12-19-2004, 04:28 AM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

Originally Posted by VijaySinghisKing
I OWN PAGE 2!!

Kinda off topic, but at work we always have people starting cars into walls... Everyone scrambles to find out if it was the car or the driver and 99.9% of the time its the drivers fault!
You mean the have manual cars and they leave it in gear and hit autstart without the proper autostarter?!

Thats against the law to install an automatic starter into a standard vehicle.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:06 AM
Instructor

You mean the have manual cars and they leave it in gear and hit autstart without the proper autostarter?!

Thats against the law to install an automatic starter into a standard vehicle.
No, nothing to do with with starters, just when they're just testing it.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rondog
wow, nice, what would that run me and where can i get it. what is the brand name too? thanks.

Edit, search is my friend...
Let me know rondog i could do it for you. I work at a shop in brooklyn called 212 Motoring, I have been installing for 13 years so i know what i am doing. PM If you want more info. All i do is highline cars Mercedes, Ferrari, Porsche, Ect Ect Ect!
Old 12-19-2004, 06:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

rondog, i dont know how far you want to travel but i know Streeteffectz is a compustar dealer and i know alot of people on here that have delt with them and are happy with work/service.... they are in woodbridge nj i would probably say aroun 45-1 hour away from you