Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2001 | 05:45 PM
Boeing/Airbus Jetliners

Reliability

well, this is a first year production model isn't it? well, not really but it is still pretty much new. so, does the CL-S have airplane-like reliability?
Old 01-02-2001 | 05:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Well it is built in the US. so i don't think it will be as good as those honda'z built in jap.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Swayz next... Finally Polarg m-6.
Old 01-02-2001 | 06:04 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS:
Well it is built in the US. so i don't think it will be as good as those honda'z built in jap.
</font>
I don't think being built in the US has anything to do with it. It's the company's commitment to quality that matters.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red / Parchment
non-nav - wheel locks - splash guards
Old 01-02-2001 | 07:11 PM
Suzuka Master

it's the design that makes a car reliable...being built in the u.s. will effect fit and finish, but fit and finish of our cars is still relatively excellent compared to most makes.

the is300 is imported from japan but has more and more major fit and finish problems, but i still wouldn't question the reliability of it or any other toyota or honda.
Old 01-02-2001 | 07:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mrdeeno:
it's the design that makes a car reliable...being built in the u.s. will effect fit and finish, but fit and finish of our cars is still relatively excellent compared to most makes.

the is300 is imported from japan but has more and more major fit and finish problems, but i still wouldn't question the reliability of it or any other toyota or honda.
</font>

Agreed. Long-term reliability is a function of design, not country of origin!
Old 01-02-2001 | 08:05 PM
Instructor

Another consideration as far as the '01 CL reliability is that is based on the Accord platform which I believe is going on it's third year of production. Major mechanical failures will likely not be a factor though small fit/finish issues can and do arise with new models based on existing platforms. Personally, I feel really good about the mechanicals of this car, though I really starting to think Acura needs to work on their exterior finish quality. This paint scratches WAY TOO EASILY, IMO.

------------------
2001 3.2 CL-S San Marino Red/Ebony, Non-nav, Bone Stock

The Red Rocket
Old 01-02-2001 | 08:42 PM
aka davo-tsx

I think reliability won't be an issue with the CL. I do think Acura did cut corners with this car in materials. This is my second Acura, and as long as I'm pleased with them I'll probably make it a third also.

------------------
'01 CLS Red/Parchment-all the goodies
Old 01-02-2001 | 09:11 PM
Cruisin'

NOVAwhiteTypeS,

FYI - the accepted abbreviation for Japan is JPN, not JAP. Thanks

------------------
'01 CL-S
Satin Silver
Old 01-02-2001 | 09:13 PM
w.t.f., mate?

There's just the trim/fit finish. Only real problem I've seen with mine is that the door is not aligned with the body panel very well. Oh well....I'll live.

------------------
2K1 CL-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia! Quantum tint, hyper-white road lamps, and I just got a spoiler on baby!!

Former post count : 440-ish.
Old 01-02-2001 | 11:29 PM
Race Director

And just for the record, this is the accurate makeup of the vehicle:

US/CDN Parts Content: 70%
JPN Parts Content: 25%

Final Assembly Point: Marysville, OH
Country of Origin: Engine (US), Transmission (JPN)

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 01-03-2001 | 12:08 AM
Moderator Alumnus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kensteele:
And just for the record, this is the accurate makeup of the vehicle:

US/CDN Parts Content: 70%
JPN Parts Content: 25%

Final Assembly Point: Marysville, OH
Country of Origin: Engine (US), Transmission (JPN)

</font>
hey, what ever happened to the rest of the 5%?!

------------------
YuppieCL
-Silver '01 CL-S w/ Navi
-Comptech springs
-35% Llumar tint
-Full nose mask
Old 01-03-2001 | 12:59 AM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iridium130:
There's just the trim/fit finish. Only real problem I've seen with mine is that the door is not aligned with the body panel very well. Oh well....I'll live.

</font>
I too notice that both doors seem to protrude ever so slightly at the rear edge, kinda makes the door gap look big from the rear of the vehicle. The seal still seems tight and I cant discern any added wind noice in spite of this, though.

------------------
2001 3.2CL-S San Marino Red/Ebony, Non-nav, Bone Stock

<A HREF="http://rrw.d2g.com" TARGET=_blank>The Red Rocket
</A>
Old 01-03-2001 | 01:05 AM
Adult Supervision

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by YuppieCL:
hey, what ever happened to the rest of the 5%?!

</font>

The other 5% is water.

------------------
MikeS 18
'01 CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment with Nav, Spoiler, door guards, wood trim kit, fender guards, PIAA 19169 & Platinum 9005, V1, trunk tray, winter mats, Salt Coat Finish by Mass DOT
Old 01-03-2001 | 03:11 AM
Racer

Mechanically we should be ok. Trim and Fit...spotty to fine. I had a climate control module replacement-mine freaked out and went to 20 degree setting, and a seat back replacement. Mufflers still peeling, dealer will repaint. All in all not bad for first year. Rattles starting to appear but the rear seat one was cured by stuffing a T-shirt between pass. rear seat and window panel on passenger side. Something in there reverberates. Spoiler rattles inside but I'm spraying in polyfoam ("Great Stuff") as soon as it gets above freezing.

------------------
CL-S Sundance Gold, TR Typhoon Wheels, Solaris 9005, guards, nose mask
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...493&p=31386570

[This message has been edited by bc01cls (edited 01-03-2001).]
Old 01-03-2001 | 03:21 AM
6SPDCLS

Hey bc01cls-

You got to be kidding right? I hope my CLS doesn't exhibit your type of problems.
Old 01-03-2001 | 07:04 AM
Intermediate

Like most everyone else, I'm not at all concerned about reliability with this car. However, I too have noticed quite a few fit/finish problems that are mostly aesthetic annoyances to me (since I'm an Anal-retentive car freak/perfectionist engineer type). What is starting to drive me nuts though are the rattles.

------------------
'01 Pimp Daddy Gold CL-S - Comptech Springs
Coming Soon: new 17" wheels/tires (can't decide which yet), maybe Comptech Sways
My PimpinTypeS More pics of my PDG
Old 01-03-2001 | 11:50 AM
Racer

DDT..........not kidding. I only had one rattle which for a 5 month old car is livable, especially after my 99 Cobra fiasco. The spoiler rattle is outside the car so you don't hear it unless you bang on it with your fist....annoying, but the loose wire will soon be silenced with polyfoam. As far as the climate control, that's really the only malfunction I've had which was quickly fixed under warranty. Seat back I'll put in the fit and finish column for a first year run. Car runs great...........I'll live.

------------------
CL-S Sundance Gold, TR Typhoon Wheels, Solaris 9005, guards, nose mask
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...493&p=31386570
Old 01-03-2001 | 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Wow... my car will be 3 years old in May and I have no rattles and the only problem I had was a fraid wire which caused my low gas light to come on. When I upgrade, hopefully these things will be ironed out. Maybe the TL-S will be better since it's not a total redesign.....

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0 ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S!!
Old 01-03-2001 | 12:17 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iridium130:

</font>

don't get me wrong, i love our cars but this is the thing I was refrering too. un aligned door panels.
Also if you look at ford, or GM makes they usually have more problems and arn't that reliable. I just think that foreign cars like european and JPN cars have higher standards when building a car. IMO.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Swayz next... Finally Polarg m-6.
Old 01-03-2001 | 12:32 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikeS 18:

The other 5% is water.

</font>
Nuhuh, it's rice.
Old 01-03-2001 | 01:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

I also have concerns about the paint. Already have scratches on front bumper. Has anyone else noticed that the passenger side exhaust sits lower?

------------------
01 Silver 3.2CLs
Old 01-03-2001 | 11:49 PM
Pro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tel1sps:
I also have concerns about the paint. Already have scratches on front bumper. Has anyone else noticed that the passenger side exhaust sits lower?

</font>
My pipes are level but since day one I have had little nagging spots of rust on the crome no rust spots but acutal rust

Old 01-04-2001 | 05:46 AM
Pro

well ratles to me are just not acceptable, my 4runner was 3 years old with 80K miles (i know i drive to damn much) never rattled from day one the only problem was an idiot at dealer spilled oil in the scratch plate, but my accord is 9 months old, and has had 2 airbag cpu's, and rattles like a damn tin can, the dealer says it is b/c of my stereo (2 12's) but they were in both cars

------------------
2001 acura cl type-s
comming soon
2000 accord v6 sedan
1997 4runner
1992 camaro
1993 volvo 850
Old 01-04-2001 | 09:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [DWI]:
My pipes are level but since day one I have had little nagging spots of rust on the crome no rust spots but acutal rust

</font>
I have not seen any rust. I'll take a close look when I wash it next. My pipes are off by a half inch. Dealer said "that's they way they come from the factory", he also offered to bend the bracket.

------------------
01 Silver 3.2CLs
Old 01-05-2001 | 06:44 AM
Advanced

My driver door at the front (where the hinges are) is set about 1/3 - 1/2 inch too low. Does anyone know if this can be easily adjusted? Can the hinge bolts be loosened and the door moved up just a little? Or would the front fender have to be taken off first?
Old 01-05-2001 | 06:53 AM