reflection on comptech springs after reaming friend's gt-s

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2001 | 02:01 PM
Pro

reflection on comptech springs after reaming friend's gt-s

ok...so me and my friend were finally able to run against eachother last night on skyline here near daly city for all u bay area folks. we took about 4 runs at eachother...two rolling and two from dead stop. suffice it to say, i killed him 4 times, more so from rolling starts. i pretty much expected to win since other cl owners here have been able to beat the celica gt-s pretty consistently.

however, a glaring problem came up last night. i had comptech springs installed over the weekend. i thought i would be able to keep up w/ him on this one twisty part on skyline. oh hells no!! even w/ the springs, our car still rolls like crazy. now i know i'd prolly be more confident w/ the sways, but i think the true weakness was once again the tires and rims. the twist was nothing like a hairpin, it was more of a long S type road...we approached it around 80 or 85...i had to slow...he just flew right by me...stuck to the road like white on rice

i like the springs, and it does make a world of difference in everyday driving. ride quality hasnt suffered much at all, as other owners will confess. but to seriously challenge him again, i think i'm gonna have to get sways, maybe full coilovers, and definitely somewhere down the road wider, lighter rims. our stock set up is killing our performance. i'd hate to see what would've happen if i was fully stock.
Old 01-16-2001 | 02:14 PM
ACME sucks!

How much lower is your car now with the springs and stock wheels/tires?

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi

Wheel Locks/35% Tint/Splash Guards/PIAA 19169 bulbs/K&N 33-2178 filter/Mobil 1 5W-30 oil & filter
Old 01-16-2001 | 02:19 PM
Drifting

Do you really think new rims and tires would make that much of a difference? I think our best chance would be to add sways and konis.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Nose Mask/Mud Guards/Wheel locks/
Comptech Springs & Filter/PIAA 1969/20% Tint/Acura lettering removed/
12in Sub with AMP/Dynomated Trunk/Sub control under dash/
Clifford G4 Solaris Alarm
Old 01-16-2001 | 02:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WebToker:
Do you really think new rims and tires would make that much of a difference? I think our best chance would be to add sways and konis.

</font>
I sure do!!! I don't have the Konis, but I've got the springs and sways. Body roll is completely non-existant in my car. I mean it does NOT LEAN AT ALL!! However, touring tires are touring tires are touring tires. There is only so much grip to work with. I'd betcha new tires will do a helluva lot more for this car than the Konis could.

Old 01-16-2001 | 02:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Tires make an amazing difference -- get some ultra performance tires.
Old 01-16-2001 | 02:53 PM
Pro

i'm still waiting for the springs to settle, so maybe someone else on the board can tell u how much of a drop it really is. the rake on it looks really good though.

as for rims & tires, i think they're just as important as sways. the 50 series is a joke. should have been 45 to begin with. whats worse though is the width. 215? c'mon...shoulda been 225 stock. we have a really small contact patch for the size of our car. i of course realize that our cars were made more for luxury than sportiness, and with a 45/225 set up, our gas mileage and ride would suffer. but still, lighter rims and better tires make tons of difference...
Old 01-16-2001 | 03:07 PM
Banned

You didn't mention or not if the Celica was stock. If his suspension was modified we don't have to feel so bad!
Old 01-16-2001 | 03:15 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

I can comment on springs and tires right now.
Yes, the springs mad a difference in terms of lowering the center of gravity of the car. They are certainly not a serious performance mod. Yes, the car still rolls like crazy and gets thrown around on turns.
I then put on 225/45 Potenza RE730 Z rated tires and they made an incredible difference in roll and grip. The sidewall of the Potenzas is about 1 million times stiffer than the stock balloons we have and makes a tremendous difference in reducing body roll.
But, even with these two the car still rolls too much and the stock shocks are not up to the task in my opinion. Trust me, once you start going in on the suspension you might as well go all the way and have a no-nonsense ride. I'm sure the overall difference made by changing the suspension will me noticed more on an everyday basis than the addition of the headers. Knowing what I know now, I would have dropped the grand for the headers on re-doing the suspension first and then worried about the speed accessories. But, in a few days I will have my Konis and sways on and all will be well.

------------------
Black/black CL Type S Comptech springs, headers. Soon to have Konis and Comptech sway bars. PIAA 19169, Solaris high beams. Potenza RE730's 225/45/ZR17
...And I wonder where my money goes!
Old 01-16-2001 | 03:20 PM
Pro

those are the same tires i want, how are they, we get a lot of rain here in s.c usually in spring, how are they in the wet

------------------
2001 acura cl type-s
comming soon
2000 accord v6 sedan
1997 4runner
1992 camaro
1993 volvo 850
Old 01-16-2001 | 04:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Damn I'm a bit shocked to hear that with just springs the car still rolls significantly. It must be the sways then that are doing most of the inertia control with the springs helping very much in controlling dive and squat. I now have zero body roll and that is still on the stock wheels and rubber. I'm looking forward to slightly wider and stickier rubber but to retain some of the softness of ride I will stay on 17" rims. For controlling rolling then the springs must be complemented with the sways.

------------------
01 CL Type-S, White\Black\Navi\Comptech Springs+Sways\Burl Shifter\Guards\Smokers Package
Old 01-16-2001 | 04:28 PM